World War II U.S. Navy Squadron Insignia

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

World War II U.S. Navy Squadron Insignia

Post by MKSheppard »

From my research at the NHHC:

Torpedo 19 (VT-19)
Done by Walt Disney; rights given to U.S. Navy for $1.00

Torpedo 20 (VT-20)

Torpedo 21 (VT-21)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: World War II U.S. Navy Squadron Insignia

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Some of these would make a good t shirt.

Shep I need something with a Duck and/or Uncle Sam and/or a Tiger
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

Very cool to see the original color images for the emblems designs !!!!!! I am an avid WW-2 USAAF/USN/USMC flying unit emblem design researcher of over 25+ years and am always looking for new designs and or colors/details to them, many I am still finding !

I am also an artis of leather flying unit patches and I recently made 4 of the VT-20 patches for a veteran that wa sin this Squadron , I really enjoy finding them on various sites and through books etc , also making the patche for the veterans and collectors , I also do FREE unit emblem ID help of WW-2 flying unit patches of the USAAF/USN/USMC for anyoe who needs help feel free to contact me .

Thanks for posting the emblems , very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Advertising is against the rules, however, I see a free offer of help identifying emblems, not an ad par se. Non-commercial offers of help are fine by me. I'll let this stay.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

My posting really wasn't meant as an "AD" I just wanted to tell people what I do , here are a few sites that I have found that are good for insignia buffs, enjoy !
Johnny

ranger95
bluejacket.com
usafupt.com
nasm.si.edu/collections/
usafpatches.com
VP Navy
F-16.net
u2sr71patches.co.uk/9thsrwtdys
CBI Order of Battle
supersabresociety.com
Civil Air Patrol Patches- incountry.us/cappatches
2719hyperion.com/p/service-w.......
skyhawk.org
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

I have scored on another "Unofficial" unit emblem design ID , via a posting on another site I was contacted by the son of a unit veteran who told me the description I had posted sounded like his Dad's unit emblem, I told him where I had seen a photo of several pilots wearing the emblem on thier A-2 jackets and he checked it out, not only was it the design in question , but one of the men in the photo was his Dad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was sooooo excited he actually dug out his dad's original jacket and sent me a photo of the patch, it was the one I was looking for and it was in color , so now I have one more ID and possitive proof of it being used by the unit !!!!!!!!!!!

It was the 494th Fighter Squadron which was with the 48th Fighter Group, and it depicts a cartoon Wolf wearing hillbilly overalls standing with a 50 caliber machine gun over his right shoulder and holding an aerial bomb under his left arm and his tail out to the side , all on a round background.

In the photo I saw the patch looks to have had a slight variation also, there are some in the photo wearing a light (sky) possibly colored background, and the others seem to have a darker background color with a outer border/ring to the patch, but the Wolf deisgn is the same , there were "variations " of a lot of the patches , some being made stateside and then others once the unit was deployed overseas , etc .

It makes for a very interesting and ongoing research hobby I enjoy very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

for photos of various Leather USAAF/USN/USMC patches I've made please visit this link,
http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/EMBLE ... ry/Patches

Johnny
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

There is a very large posting of various Disney WW2 Squadron emblems etc posted on the site named
US Militaria Forum , worth checking out ........................................
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

EMBLEMHUNTER wrote:for photos of various Leather USAAF/USN/USMC patches I've made please visit this link,

Johnny
Just added a 47th Bombardment Sqd,676th Bombardment Sqd and a 48th Purisut Sqd to the link
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

196 images to view on the above link of WW2 flying unit emblems, enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMBLEMHUNTER
Redshirt

Post by EMBLEMHUNTER »

Now 200 various leather Squadron/Group patches to view in two albums on the link below , enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!