Old Trekkie, came back to apologize.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

StarLiner
Redshirt

Old Trekkie, came back to apologize.

Post by StarLiner »

Hello. I last signed on here sometime in december of 2007 apparently. My old accounts email was a long time ago when we moved and switched internet providers, so I can't recover it.

My old username was StarFighter, and I was responsible for this thread:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=116306

The vast majority of replies consisted of pointing out the glaring flaws in my arguments and 'evidence,' while i continued with pretty much the same thing for the entire debate, the same crap style. Heck, I even ignored spelling for the most part, raping the names of the ships i believed would win the day for Trek. After all, the Reman Scheimitars couldn't be stopped, right?

I came back to apologize for my horrid threads and the headaches it may have caused as a result. I was just over 13 when I signed up my account, and I wasn't the most mature. I turned 16 a month ago and decided to come back and try to make up for that. So, just to clarify:

Yes, Trek would get its ass handed to it in a dozen or so cruel and creative ways. No, Borg adaption will not help in any meaningful way. No, 8472's bio armor wont be anywhere near enough to stop the onslaught that ISD's can dish out. the Empire's vastly superior industry, weapons, speed, and many other factors will win the day, full stop. I conceed any points i had.

Hopefully I'll be looked at as less of a retard now by the members of SD. As I look at that thread and my profile I feel embarrassed that I put so much... passion into the argument. I still enjoy Star Trek, despite it's obvious flaws, and I enjoy many other shows like Battlestar Galactica that Wars would stomp even harder. What I did was silly, and I just want parts of that account to go away.

Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Re: Old Trekkie, came back to apologize.

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Hey, how often does this happen? Nice to hear.
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

Hold on...one sec...yep, my pan-dimensional thermometer/Omnicide stick tells me that the current temperature in Hell is 3 degrees Celsius, chilly but not quite freezing. I await to see if this is a troll or not, then I'll be able to accurately call it.

Edit: clarifying statement
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

takemeout_totheblack wrote:Hold on...one sec...yep, my pan-dimensional thermometer/Omnicide stick tells me that the current temperature in Hell is 3 degrees Celsius, chilly but not quite freezing. I await to see if this is a troll or not, then I'll be able to accurately call it.

Edit: clarifying statement
Well that's a shitty thermometer. It can't predict anything!

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. It's a unique style of trolling if it is trolling, but I'm more willing to accept it at face value.

Welcome back. Enjoy your stay.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

How refreshing. A Trekkie admitting they were wrong.

Or, for that matter, someone admitting they were wrong, apologising for their posts after three years!

Kudos to you StarLiner, and thank you
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

StarLiner wrote:I came back to apologize for my horrid threads and the headaches it may have caused as a result. I was just over 13 when I signed up my account, and I wasn't the most mature. I turned 16 a month ago and decided to come back and try to make up for that.
Welcome!

Hopefully I'll be looked at as less of a retard now by the members of SD. As I look at that thread and my profile I feel embarrassed that I put so much... passion into the argument. I still enjoy Star Trek, despite it's obvious flaws, and I enjoy many other shows like Battlestar Galactica that Wars would stomp even harder. What I did was silly, and I just want parts of that account to go away.

Passion is a good thing, honestly. It's why we're interested in SF in the first place. The problem is when passion blinds us.

Take me for an example. I love Farscape. If the debate were, for some insane reason, to pit Farscape against the Total Annihilation 'verse (where megascale construction is the order of the day), then I would have to conclude that any Farscape faction would reasonably have its ass handed to it. That doesn't make TA a "better" universe in my eyes, nor does it detract from the awesomeness of Farscape.

(By the same token, I vastly prefer the Borg from TNG to the Voyager era Borg. And it's got nothing to do with relative ability. TNG Borg were frightening; utterly alien beings following principles and rationales the Federation couldn't begin to fathom. They didn't get upset, didn't react to insult or mockery, didn't get mad when bested. Like Deep Blue playing against Kasparov, they just calmly kept on reevaluating and trying again. During Q Who and BoBW, they didn't even seem interested in propagating the classic hive mind "you'll be happy with us" trope, because to the Borg such motivations were meaningless. They were just, well, the Borg, and no justification was required.

And that - despite the illogic of them allowing intruders free rein onboard - is what made them so utterly terrifying.)
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I totally agree wit what Elease said, passion is a good thing, provided you learnt o keep it under control so it doesn't blind you to the argument. As you said, you're older and maturer now so hopefully that's the case

My apologies if that sounds incredibly condescending, but I couldn't figure a way to say it otherwise :)

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:How refreshing. A Trekkie admitting they were wrong.

Or, for that matter, someone admitting they were wrong, apologising for their posts after three years!

Kudos to you StarLiner, and thank you
Dude, its not unprecedented for trekkies to admit error. If you're going to talk about fanboys, then call them fanboys rather than assuming all trekkies are irrational.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

My apologies Connor, I just haven't seen one repent yet. Always nice to see it. My apologies to rational Trekkies

darthy
Padawan Learner

Post by darthy »

StarLiner wrote:Hello. I last signed on here sometime in december of 2007 apparently. My old accounts email was a long time ago when we moved and switched internet providers, so I can't recover it.

My old username was StarFighter, and I was responsible for this thread:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=116306

The vast majority of replies consisted of pointing out the glaring flaws in my arguments and 'evidence,' while i continued with pretty much the same thing for the entire debate, the same crap style. Heck, I even ignored spelling for the most part, raping the names of the ships i believed would win the day for Trek. After all, the Reman Scheimitars couldn't be stopped, right?

I came back to apologize for my horrid threads and the headaches it may have caused as a result. I was just over 13 when I signed up my account, and I wasn't the most mature. I turned 16 a month ago and decided to come back and try to make up for that. So, just to clarify:

Yes, Trek would get its ass handed to it in a dozen or so cruel and creative ways. No, Borg adaption will not help in any meaningful way. No, 8472's bio armor wont be anywhere near enough to stop the onslaught that ISD's can dish out. the Empire's vastly superior industry, weapons, speed, and many other factors will win the day, full stop. I conceed any points i had.

Yeah your concession isn't a big deal. You're only 16 as you said. People that young are pretty wishy washy. Sounds like some star wars fanatics waved the Incrediable Cross Sections books in your face. Maybe I would have believed it too if I were your age. Or you could have just submitted to peer presure around here. In any case, I don't put its figures as the decideing factor in any debate. I've watched the Star Wars Clone Wars mini series, every episode of star wars the clone wars, and every star wars movie specifically to see if its most extreme figures had any validity. I picked through them all with a fine tooth comb. I found nothing supporting it and plenty against it.

I saw nothing in the highest levels of canon which supported its figures which were apparently calculated from some vague novel descriptions of a base delta zero order and maybe a mention of a gigaton in some other novel. Any other evidence is scaling nonsense of smaller weapons to support the books insane figures. It wouldn't be the first C-canon source to exaggerate the star wars reality a bit.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Darthy, if you plan to conduct vs. debates with this sort of attitude here I can guarantee you'll be the source of much mirth but also much frustration. I implore you to not disavow numerical figures and not the SW EU because objective numbers and canon adherence (the EU is canon, not the highest level but canon nonetheless) are both fundamentally important to a vs. debate.

Now however I'll be silent because there's no point in further necroing this thread.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

It's a low-traffic forum, so this necro is a first-page resurrection; nothing to write home about.

I do expect to see his claims challenged though.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

What's the point of challenging a broken record that makes shit up and ignores arguments that demolish his "points?"
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Especially one that spans multiple threads with inane drivel...
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

And makes up their own version of Wars canon rules...

And their own explanations for Treknology...

We could go on...

I think he brought up some of his 'counter-evidence' to the ICS numbers. A 6 year old could challenge what he presented. Maybe he has better. I asked him to start a thread dedicated to it.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy