SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Post by RogueIce »

fgalkin wrote:Oh mang, I've created a monster out of a throwaway one-shot :D

Now the Bragulans will build an even bigger array, and when the robots blow THAT up, an even bigger one, and park a fleet next to it. The Severny Tango begins! :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
There's an Array Gap they need to not fall behind of?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

This is a general note to other players but particularly relevant now - if you want to handle things such as hashing out diplomatic issues via IRC, that works for me, and one of us can later flesh out the encounter "in character" in the appropriate thread.
Truth fears no trial.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

fgalkin wrote:Oh mang, I've created a monster out of a throwaway one-shot :D
That happens a lot in SDNWs :D
fgalkin wrote:Now the Bragulans will build an even bigger array, and when the robots blow THAT up, an even bigger one, and park a fleet next to it. The Severny Tango begins! :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Yes! A Hot Cold War! :D

Though I did leave the last post open-ended if Shroom wants another round of gunskimmer combat hilarity ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Shit...

Now I have to send a fleet to blow up my own ship... If I find it at all.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Shit...

Now I have to send a fleet to blow up my own ship... If I find it at all.
You probably won't.

Note how everything important is being sent in hand delievered messages. The only thing really transmitted was Captain Torrey informing Admiral Adams that he had seized the contact (with no information on what said "contact" is).

So while you will certainly notice when it ends up being overdue, you won't know what actually happened. Plus, you don't know where it went. And of course blowing it up at this point means going into my space to do it...

So yeah. Most of the above applies to everyone else. Nobody outside a handful of people know that a Star of Sweethaven Incident is going on. Even the crews of the ships involved don't fully know about the Espers, just that a MEH transport was boarded and seized; and the only ones who have that detail (it being a MEH ship) are the crew of the Dauntless - the Independence and other ships of her group just know it's a good sized unidentified ship. And since the Dauntless is heading to see Grand Admiral Cristophe, and he will likely sequester the cruiser and the transport somewhere quiet...it's highly unlikely the fact a MEH transport was taken will even get out.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Yeah, but would expect that it at least sabotages itself or calls for help.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Yeah, but would expect that it at least sabotages itself or calls for help.
The MEH will expect that when it doesn't show up, or you think they would have as soon as the fighters from the Dauntless arrived, and/or when the cruiser itself arrived and boarded?

I went under the assumption that, since you rather openly transmitted your request for Espers anyway, you wouldn't have super secret black ops security on these flights, just that you try to keep it to yourself. Keep in mind they decided to board pretty fast, and even brought troops with them.

Granted had nothing been found and they put the ship on their way, this could have been a minor incident depending on how Captain Gardner chose to report it. But since they found the Espers and seized the ship and arrested the crew, well, nobody's transmitting anything now.

Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

The comms on the transport didn't magically explode. I would assume the crew wants rescue from being tried for torture.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Shinran ship's jammers didn't magically explode either. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:The comms on the transport didn't magically explode. I would assume the crew wants rescue from being tried for torture.
Since you phrase it like that, I'll assume you're talking about after it has been seized. At that point it's a little late, since the Shinra Republic Navy isn't letting them call home.

Before the Espers were discovered, they had no reason to believe they would be arrested and tried for torture. The first they would know of it was when the SRN naval troopers stormed the place and put them at gunpoint.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Yeah, but would expect that it at least sabotages itself or calls for help.
Your ship is a thousand light years from your space, and no one else gives a damn what happens to your ships because you haven't given anyone a reason to care. They can call for help all they want; it's not gonna show up any time soon.

And since this is a civilian ship in a situation where Shinra marines are in a good position to lock down the ship's systems, I very much doubt they'll be able to self-destruct.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The Shinran ship's jammers didn't magically explode either. :D
Oh yeah, brain fart for a minute.

I guess that's what they get for letting soldiers into their ship. They probably would have gotten away with doing nothing and just fixing their drives. Idiots.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You know, seeing as how you were planning to accept shipments of imprisoned psychics from distant countries, this was bound to happen sooner or later. It's not like the other peoples of the galaxy don't patrol the space around them, or don't occasionally stop and search merchantmen who are quietly sneaking along all smuggler-like.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Simon_Jester wrote:You know, seeing as how you were planning to accept shipments of imprisoned psychics from distant countries, this was bound to happen sooner or later. It's not like the other peoples of the galaxy don't patrol the space around them, or don't occasionally stop and search merchantmen who are quietly sneaking along all smuggler-like.
Warp gates only from now on. Fortunately, the ships I'm sending to the Collectors are warships and will be able to defend themselves. Plus the Shepistani psykers probably were of low quality.

I hope the deal with the Lost for shoal hardened drives goes through.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, CN, exactly how much interstellar commerce are you planning on powering through warp transits? There's a reason people only use them for low-volume, high-value cargoes over long distances, y'know.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Simon_Jester wrote:So, CN, exactly how much interstellar commerce are you planning on powering through warp transits? There's a reason people only use them for low-volume, high-value cargoes over long distances, y'know.
And prisoners are...? I'm not taking millions of people, maybe 10,000, max. A light transport can carry that, easily.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, aside from your import of prisoners to vivisect, you have no interaction with the outside galaxy.

You're a real genius when it comes to finding ways to make your people popular on the international stage, you know that? Shit, even the Emissaries of XylyX are friendlier than you guys, and they're a bunch of deranged sociopathic robot fundamentalists who live on hell-worlds.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Bragulans love the Xylyx. Well, not really. But their representative to the BEEEF was damn cool. He wins company of Pussycat Twins! Nyah!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Simon_Jester wrote: You're a real genius when it comes to finding ways to make your people popular on the international stage, you know that? Shit, even the Emissaries of XylyX are friendlier than you guys, and they're a bunch of deranged sociopathic robot fundamentalists who live on hell-worlds.
It's a skill of mine.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I've decided to post short vignettes about various aspects of the Union's history, culture, etc. in the prologue thread to help develop their concept/keep me sharp/for my enjoyment, particularly for elements that I think are too long or too out-of-place for my already-long wiki article on the state. This first one is about the history of piracy in the Humanist Union. These bits and bobs aren't necessary reading for anyone that wants to or intends to interact with the Union, but they may help in understanding the Union as I envision it and may provide hooks for later RP. Despite being posted in the prologue thread, these will generally be "up to date."
Truth fears no trial.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Interesting Klavohunter. Finally, some action on that front.

I am working very slowly on a post attacking some ... Mohammedians or the idiots in the middle and there will of course be reversals but I am rather lacking in inspiration of late...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Fortunately, the ships I'm sending to the Collectors are warships and will be able to defend themselves.
Hold on, you're sending warships - crewed presumably by folk who know nothing about navigating the Wild Space shoals - toward Collector space? Into the middle of the K-Zone?

Tee hee hee!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Siege wrote:
Chaotic Neutral wrote:Fortunately, the ships I'm sending to the Collectors are warships and will be able to defend themselves.
Hold on, you're sending warships - crewed presumably by folk who know nothing about navigating the Wild Space shoals - toward Collector space? Into the middle of the K-Zone?

Tee hee hee!
"Alright boys! It's time for free frag!"
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This should be fun to watch.

"You've just entered... the Koprulu Zone"

[cue eerie theme music]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Bragulan medicine! Behold! Borrowed your characters, Dark Hellion and Akhlut. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!