US Military vs Coruscant

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Deimos Anomaly
Village Idiot

US Military vs Coruscant

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

As per This thread

The entire US military without nuclear weapons VS Coruscant at the end of AotC.

No orbital bombardment.
PROUD TO
BE A
BRIT!

Ich werde Sie töten!
A Big Flying Fish
Jedi Knight

Post by A Big Flying Fish »

It all depends on what miltiary force is present on Coruscant.
But, the navy is useless as theres no water on Coruscant.
The USMC is going to have a field day in guerilla warfare, and should be able to do a hell of a lot of damage.
The army is going to have a tough time, depending on whether or not the Republic army has heavy weapons in action (considering Coruscant is a city world), which if it does, the army is going to screwed big time
The USAF, on the other hand, may be able to do a lot of damage. I think they have a speed advantage over most SW fighters, but will have a lot of problems with ship shields.

The US armed forces only chance is to use B52s, et cetera to bomb Coruscant into submission, or to use the special forces to sabotage Coruscant's industrial output so that the army can't operate properly
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

A tall glass of perspective...

Post by IDMR »

Coruscant has a population in the trillions. The US military would not be able to do *anything* in the long run.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Re: A tall glass of perspective...

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

IDMR wrote:Coruscant has a population in the trillions. The US military would not be able to do *anything* in the long run.
Yes. As an absolute minimum, the militarized Republic would have a garrison force in the dozens of millions. If the US troops try to fight, Palpatine can probably muster 20 or 30 divisions to each American division.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

US dies. That's too many.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Not if they can find Coruscent's thermal exaust port ;)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Very funny as a certan Bothan says near the same exact thing Zoink

:)

Don't forget Courscant is near 90% Covered in City and not just City city but Buildings are BUILT on buildings which are built on MORE buildings. Sure some places where the buildings are close to the ground but roughly 50% of the planet(Just a guess) is 150+ Storys tall building(In EU they refrance to the fact no one knows exactly where the *ground is so long have buildings been built on top of each other)

Snipers Field day
USA would be baddly outmaned, Around 10 to 1 to 100 to 1 depending on the branch + you have "native" wildlife which thinks humans are quite tasty and the fact US Troops would have to be in full gear at all times, I forget the Arcnonmen but for Chemical, Bioligcal, Nuclear protection which the Stormies Enjoy and the fact Gernades are a double Edge Sword (Woo you killed them! Boom! but the tower is falling oh crap :) )

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Admiral Piett
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Piett »

I think that mr Deimos Anomaly is referring to the clonetroopers massed on Coruscan and not to Coruscant populations and resources.But this does not make a great difference in anyway.Clonetroopers have an armor designed to protect them against shrapnel and NBC but I would bet my money that it is also proof to current small arms fire.They have superior firepower,datalinks and ten years of military training.Their gunship and AT-TE are far more powerful than the Apache and the M1A2 Abrams.Thus on the ground there is no match.The air force could in theory provide support to the ground forces but I think that the Acclamators should be able to take care of them.
In short the clonetroopers would win without too many difficulties.
And of course the navy is not of great use
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As I said above Fighting on the *Ground on Courscant is rather hard because there is for lack of a better way of saying it NOT any Ground

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Bastard
Deimos Sock Puppet

Post by Bastard »

Haha. I can imagine it, Apaches, Cobras, Blackhawks and Harriers flying between the great buildings strafing any troops in sight, shooting missiles at enemy speeders etc. and generally making life hell for the enemy. Chinooks touching down at key points and disgorging their loads of USMC to lay the smack down on those clones. Green Berets surging towards the senate in vicious building-to-building combat. SEAL and Delta Force units used to eliminate any Jedi that prove problematic.
Founder and Chief of Staff of the SpaceBattles New Freemen's Militia

Rule Britannia! Brittania rules the waves! Britons never never never shall be slaves!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Neat thought, but they don't have anywhere near the numbers.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Bastard wrote:Haha. I can imagine it, Apaches, Cobras, Blackhawks and Harriers flying between the great buildings strafing any troops in sight, shooting missiles at enemy speeders etc. and generally making life hell for the enemy. Chinooks touching down at key points and disgorging their loads of USMC to lay the smack down on those clones. Green Berets surging towards the senate in vicious building-to-building combat. SEAL and Delta Force units used to eliminate any Jedi that prove problematic.
No, more like LAATs chasing Apaches, Cobras and Blackhawks between skyscrapers, while starfighters dogfight with Harriers. There might be Chinooks filled with Marines running for the nearest Republic command centers, but with a speed advantage on their side (plus no rotor wash to worry about) the clonetroopers can get there a lot faster, meaning that they can lay down a hail of suppressive fire on the airdropped Marines.

I take it you are rather clueless about real military situations.

In short, the US forces might be able to do a bit of damage, but they'll get wiped out. Period.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I really don't get the purpose of this thread being here if there is already an identical one on SpaceBattles.

Last time I checked, this MB wasn't SpaceBattles Ver. 2.0. :roll:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance, but I really don't get the purpose of this thread being here if there is already an identical one on SpaceBattles.

There's already a lot of that between SB and ASVS. We tend to flame Deimos quite often as a result.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance, but I really don't get the purpose of this thread being here if there is already an identical one on SpaceBattles.

Deimos rarely thinks of his own threads.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

This is insane. The U.S. army has determined (and excercises have demonstrated) that U.S. infantry will take ~80% casualties in sustained urban conflict. And who has the population advantage here? How could saboteurs do anything? They don't even know how to use SW tech. What would plastic explosives do against durasteel or worse, the neutronium hulls of SW battlewagons? A few Aethersprite fighters would wipe out the entire USAF since the SW fighters have shielding and hulls that can take hits from GW-TW weaponry while US missiles are generally in the MW range. Hell, SW police vehicles would wipe out F-15s. Stealth fighters would probably be detected, unless SW air traffic controllers on Coruscant (and there are a HELL of a lot of them) use RADAR. Assuming the population of Coruscant gets in the act, and I'm talking all the really weird aliens and stuff, then the army is _screwed_. And how are they going to be able to use tanks and ARTY when they are 100 km below the skyscrapers? Heck, the surface of Coruscant might be a big sewer for all we know. Land, air, and sea, the U.S. is wiped out.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Admiral Piett wrote: The air force could in theory provide support to the ground forces but I think that the Acclamators should be able to take care of them.
That assumes that US fighter planes can manuever in the urban landscape of Coruscant. In "Wedge's Gamble" even the Rogues had trouble with the with the darkness, and the lightning storms, and everyone knows how biased the X-wing series is towards the Rogues.