Tron Legacy: OMFG *Spoilers*

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Tron Legacy: OMFG *Spoilers*

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Alright, I suck at spoilerizing stuff and I hate it when people come into movie review threads and bitch about spoilers being in it. So, below this text there WILL BE SPOILERS and if you don't like it get out.

***SPOILERS***

They're gone? Good. HOLEEEEE FUCK this is an amazing movie! There's NOTHING that I didn't like about it. The story, the visuals, the fight scenes, even the music! It was new and innovative and EXCITING while still staying true to the feel of the original movie. There's programs, users, light cycles (and light jets) and the old favorites are still there, but in a way that's new.

There wasn't much surprise, though, all of the 'shocking reveals' were about as well-concealed as you would expect for a PG Disney movie. But it doesn't matter if Jeff Bridges is actually Clu when his son first shows up, because its awesome. And when you realize Clu's number 1 hit man is actually Tron, you still don't care because Tron is awesome. Finding out Cora was the last Isomorph (a race of intelligent computer programs that were wiped out decades ago) was cool, but didn't change a whole lot.

Finally, Jeff Bridges was awesome. As Flynn, he was still his 1989 self complete with twenty-year-old slang (at one point he exclaims 'totally radical') and an odd mixture of new-age zen with wry hipness that I don't think anyone else could pull off. This film is going to be a blockbuster SMASH, especially given the season its being released at. All of the characters are great, even minor parts like Zeus and Jem (and I now have a new fetish in Jem) were incredibly well done.

Seriously, whatever you may have thought (or not thought) about Tron you need to go see this movie, because I guarantee you its going to be talked about for months to come.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Peebo-T
Redshirt

Re: Tron Legacy: OMFG *Spoilers*

Post by Peebo-T »

Adding two cents and not any spoilers. ;)

Saw it in 3D. Paid to see it in the 'premium' cinema experience (Food served to your chair. Recliner etc)

So, having paid premium, I think it was worth the price of admission. Unlike the god-awful clone wars crap (Where I walkout....)

Is it good? Yes. Is it Shakespeare level? No. It's a light, PG action-adventure movie. Nuff said.

Now...lets get into those kind of "OMG! plot holes!" and "This is how I would have done it with the plot" threads. ;)

Cheers!
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

+1 to liked it.

Just got back from seeing it with Vymp.

There were a few minor plot holes (like how the hell Clu was going to conquer the world with a couple of hundred guys, or hell, how the system would be able to materialize all those guys, let alone the Carrier as well)...

But I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised. It was long, but the pacing was tight. The music was awesome, really helping sell a lot of the sequences. The character design worked well, and even the support characters helped sell this ("All hail the Users! ... Death to the Use-!" *splat*). Zeus, aka Michael Sheen was a great little bonus.

Suffice to say, the special effects were just spectacular, and only rarely '3D for the sake of 3D' as you occasionally see.

They had a lot more of Bruce Boxleitner in the film then I expected, which was awesome, even TRON himself showing up, which I didn't think would happen.

There were countless shoutouts to the original which made me laugh, and yet, there was nothing "80's" about it or the computer tech in the real world, from the iPad Allan had to the modded Nokia Sam had, mixed with some of the Tron stuff such as the touchscreen keyboards built into the desks of the tables.
Hell, they even got the Unix commands right! I was almost pumping a first in the air at the "kill -9" that programmer used to get rid of Sam's little barking dog. I almost thought it was a Chekov, and Sam was going to at the end of the movie, get out of the Grid, hit the terminal and Kill -9 Clu, but oh well.

I'd give this 3/5 if you were not a fan, 6/5 if you were, and 4/5 if you're a bit of a geek.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Assuming that the CPU in that machine was no faster than a 286, with a clock speed of 12.5 mhz, a single millicycle is 8 hours. A cycle is thus 333 days or ~0.9 years. Given the machine was on for over 20 years, that's 8*10^15 cycles. which is about 7 billion years. Bumping that down to a 1 mhz cpu, that's 6*10^14 cycles or about 547 million years.

Even if it was a kilohertz cpu or even single hertz, you are still talking about a time period longer than the sum total of human history.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Ebert called its plot a "catastrophe" but he also gave it 3 stars out of 4. He recommended removing your 3D glasses during the 2D sequences, which is what I will do.

Reviews are all over the place. Some people are complaining about the art direction and visual presentation (but not about the 3D, interestingly enough). Others love everything about it. Seems like this is definitely a movie for the fans and maybe the casual viewer, but a lot of the critics are turned off. It's too long, or it's a roller-caster. The acting is poor, and it's very good. The lead is a stiff, or he's a natural. Or whatever.

What the hell. I talked about this a lot on the forum in the past months and I am still psyched and I am going to see it and I suspect I will like it. The original has been bashed for all kinds of reasons, but I enjoyed it.

Tron Guy LOVES it. :D
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Xon wrote:Assuming that the CPU in that machine was no faster than a 286, with a clock speed of 12.5 mhz, a single millicycle is 8 hours. A cycle is thus 333 days or ~0.9 years. Given the machine was on for over 20 years, that's 8*10^15 cycles. which is about 7 billion years. Bumping that down to a 1 mhz cpu, that's 6*10^14 cycles or about 547 million years.

Even if it was a kilohertz cpu or even single hertz, you are still talking about a time period longer than the sum total of human history.
Zeus said that Clu had been looking for Alan's disk for "A 1,000 cycles", and Alan said that "hours in the grid were like minutes" in the RW. A "cycle" might not have anything to do with an actual CPU "cycle".

I just saw the movie, and really liked it. Daft Punk were Awesome. The effects and fight scenes were AWesome. The SW and Batman riffs ("That's not how you use it", "You shall serve me like I did your father before you", Zen & "The Dude!") were great.
My one complaint was the ending, and how everyone seemed to "job" to CLU. Seriously, 3 on 1 and the best they could do was Zen suicide bomb? WTF?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Have avoided reading the thread. Going to see it tonight. Excitement overwhelming.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm trying to avoid getting spoiled, but this is pretty much the only place I can ask if it is worth seeing in 3D. Is it?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

I am risking being late to a date tonight to see this movie *by myself.* What can I say? Your enthusiasm is infectious.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Thirdfain wrote:I am risking being late to a date tonight to see this movie *by myself.* What can I say? Your enthusiasm is infectious.
Consider taking your date. My buddy's girlfriend who had never heard of Tron loved the movie.
ImageImage
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

The young lady in question is not well-suited to the film; also we have dinner plans and it's simply not possible. I might go on Sunday with this other girl who I think might be in to it...

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Thirdfain wrote:The young lady in question is not well-suited to the film; also we have dinner plans and it's simply not possible. I might go on Sunday with this other girl who I think might be in to it...
I'd say skip the movie and go for the date. See it later, perhaps, but don't hold the phone for this one.

The visuals were impressive, but the plot felt almost as rough as the original Tron, and then the movie just felt like it ended, full stop, without a good conclusion. Well, at least to me. I'll just get shouted down, I think.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

The visuals were impressive, but the plot felt almost as rough as the original Tron, and then the movie just felt like it ended, full stop, without a good conclusion. Well, at least to me. I'll just get shouted down, I think.
Actually, while I felt that the plot as a whole was quite solid, I will agree with you that the movie ended with an immediate desire for more and not necessarily in the good sort of way either, although I suspect that we can blame Disney for that when they realized that they were probably sitting on a gold mine and thus mandated sequel hooks, although it is hard to see where they will go with the series in a significant way. Sure, they can easily do more movies, but I'm not seeing where the conflict in the next one could be.

As for the critics, I think their problem is that lots of them don't like storytelling. They want meaning and subtext and a dozen other post-modernist buzzwords, but damn you if you want to tell an honest story, because the only requirement of a story is that it entertains you. It doesn't need to have commentary on relevant social issues, it doesn't have to have a dozen layers of metaphor and hidden meaning... all a story needs is to engage your imagination, something that I think a lot of film critics actively hate.

But yes, the visuals and music are like golden honey delicately drizzled over the senses, and I felt that the story was superior to most of the crap Hollywood shovels out these days and held together quite well. For the whole "How can Flynn conquer the world with his tiny army" thing I will say that he probably had no idea how massive our world really was and probably would not have got very far. Also, while I think it is more incidental than intentional, there's some interesting stuff that could be taken as religious allegory that someone will inevitably pick up on.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Academia Nut wrote: For the whole "How can Flynn conquer the world with his tiny army" thing I will say that he probably had no idea how massive our world really was and probably would not have got very far.
This is the best way of thinking about. Could you image that giant aircraft carrier thing being formed in the tiny basement, demolishing a few city blocks?

That said, it was an excellent movie in my opinion. Lovely visuals and music. The ending did come across a bit lacking in tension, but this is not a dealbreaker.

Also, even though it is childish, Quorra is smoking hot.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Academia Nut wrote: Actually, while I felt that the plot as a whole was quite solid, I will agree with you that the movie ended with an immediate desire for more and not necessarily in the good sort of way either, although I suspect that we can blame Disney for that when they realized that they were probably sitting on a gold mine and thus mandated sequel hooks, although it is hard to see where they will go with the series in a significant way. Sure, they can easily do more movies, but I'm not seeing where the conflict in the next one could be.

As for the critics, I think their problem is that lots of them don't like storytelling. They want meaning and subtext and a dozen other post-modernist buzzwords, but damn you if you want to tell an honest story, because the only requirement of a story is that it entertains you. It doesn't need to have commentary on relevant social issues, it doesn't have to have a dozen layers of metaphor and hidden meaning... all a story needs is to engage your imagination, something that I think a lot of film critics actively hate.

But yes, the visuals and music are like golden honey delicately drizzled over the senses, and I felt that the story was superior to most of the crap Hollywood shovels out these days and held together quite well. For the whole "How can Flynn conquer the world with his tiny army" thing I will say that he probably had no idea how massive our world really was and probably would not have got very far. Also, while I think it is more incidental than intentional, there's some interesting stuff that could be taken as religious allegory that someone will inevitably pick up on.
Maybe I missed something here with the story. To me, I felt either apathetic toward the story as it was going on, or seemed to correctly guess at the direction of the plot "twist" minutes in advance. I dunno, maybe it was the mood I was in.

Examples (paraphrasing):
Sam: "The portal closes in 8 hours? How am I going to get there?"
Quorra: "I used to know a guy that can get you there."
My reaction: Huh, how convenient.
<Sam gets spotted by one of the gals who turned him into a program, who takes him to Zeus.>
Zeus is a maniac that runs a nightclub.
My reaction: Let me guess, Zeus runs a front organization that neutralizes would-be subversives. Oh, wow, he does.
Quorra is the last member of an extinct race.
My reaction: Meh.

Also, how was I supposed to feel anything for Tron? I had watched the original as a kid and rewatched it just before seeing this, so I knew Tron was supposed to be "fighting for the users". But there was no demonstration of internal conflict, nothing, and then <Stark>at CRUCIAL MOMENT Tron uses BACKSTAB REDEMPTIVE SNEAK ATTACK to save good guys lol</Stark> and all is right with the world.

Nitplus: Props to whoever decided to use actual unix commands instead of bullshit for the "computer hacking" scenes. That brought a smile to my face.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

They left several hooks for sequels, off the top of my head:

1. Cillian Murphy. They didn't hire him to play the son of Flynn's arch-enemy in one scene because they thought he'd really nail it. He's the 'wonderkid' who's going to be pushed out now that Sam is back.
2. Tron isn't dead. He went white while he was in the water, and there's no reason to think he'd drown given that he doesn't breathe.

My prediction: Tron Revolution (a guess) is set about 2 months after this movie. Sam is doing well as CEO of the company and Quorra is his hot girlfriend enjoying life. But Sam gets a message from Tron- he's trying to rebuild the society of the grid, but an evil USER (Dillinger Jr.) is attacking him and he needs their help. Sam and Quorra to the rescue.

If they get a 4th movie, I predict spykids level slapstick as my soul dissolves.
ImageImage
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Something I was actually kind of surprised about, and not displeased about either, was the really strong anti-DRM/pro-information freedom stuff that showed up. Beyond that, the film was visually amazing, had incredible music, Jeff Bridges spewing hilarious Zen jazz etc. The story wasn't exactly great shakes but nothing in it screamed stupidity or dullness. I really liked Quorra's gushing, awkward fangirl moments, like the dinner scene.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

When I delete files, I do so with gladiatorial battle. Obviously.

Really, the movie's plot just kinda dragged and it made huge leaps in logic. It wasn't well paced, even though it was stunning with action and visuals. It's just a sharp aesthetic when you see people run around in those outfits with the light strips sure, and it has a very techno soundtrack, but what was the plot?

Guy goes into computer. Fights dudes. Needs to go home. Gets home. Also, digital girl who's speshul for some reason. Hokay. But let's all ignore that since people are killing each other with laserdiscs, mmmkay?
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

The ISO's were special because they were artificial intelligence, weren't they?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Zac Naloen wrote:The ISO's were special because they were artificial intelligence, weren't they?
Not only were they AIs, they had manifested spontaneously on the grid. Basically they were an evolved digital life form.
ImageImage
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:
Xon wrote:Assuming that the CPU in that machine was no faster than a 286, with a clock speed of 12.5 mhz, a single millicycle is 8 hours. A cycle is thus 333 days or ~0.9 years. Given the machine was on for over 20 years, that's 8*10^15 cycles. which is about 7 billion years. Bumping that down to a 1 mhz cpu, that's 6*10^14 cycles or about 547 million years.

Zeus said that Clu had been looking for Alan's disk for "A 1,000 cycles", and Alan said that "hours in the grid were like minutes" in the RW. A "cycle" might not have anything to do with an actual CPU "cycle".

I just saw the movie, and really liked it. Daft Punk were Awesome. The effects and fight scenes were AWesome. The SW and Batman riffs ("That's not how you use it", "You shall serve me like I did your father before you", Zen & "The Dude!") were great.
My one complaint was the ending, and how everyone seemed to "job" to CLU. Seriously, 3 on 1 and the best they could do was Zen suicide bomb? WTF?
I took the hour / minutes conversion to the more or less literal so Alan would have been on the Grid for about 1200 subjective years, he looks rather good for his age.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Wow, this movie was incredible. Be seeing it again in a couple of days. The music/visuals sold it, plus it had a decent story. The ending felt a little rushed, that was about my only problem with it.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

For those wondering of time, the disc and all that jazz?

Alan is Bruce Boxlietner. KEVIN FLYNN is Jeff Bridges.

CLU was looking for Kevin Flynn.

And decent cheesy movie. Likely made more then Tron ever did and overall nice IMAX experience. Not worth the 3D.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Academia Nut wrote:As for the critics, I think their problem is that lots of them don't like storytelling. They want meaning and subtext and a dozen other post-modernist buzzwords, but damn you if you want to tell an honest story, because the only requirement of a story is that it entertains you. It doesn't need to have commentary on relevant social issues, it doesn't have to have a dozen layers of metaphor and hidden meaning... all a story needs is to engage your imagination, something that I think a lot of film critics actively hate.
Gee, with that mindset you would think that the only movies that actually get good reviews are Oscar worthy. Never comedies (blatant of subtle), dumb action movies, sports, or anything.

*Hint* I'm being sarcastic.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

It was pretty much exactly what I wanted from a Tron sequel. Daft Punk did a superb job on the soundtrack. They got what Tron music was about and they built on it. I was a little disappointed that they didn't make the flashback scenes a hybrid of old Tron graphics with the new effects just for cheesiness sake but that certainly didn't break the movie for me.

As for Clu's huge army, the "digitizing laser" is basically magic so I didn't have a problem with him expecting to bring his army into the real world.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."