OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

CSJM
Padawan Learner

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Post by CSJM »

Not ripped off per se, but if someone with more skill (or free time) than you sees something useful in your design, he may submit a better version of your idea to the contest.

For example, I completely forgot about the option to place the main deflector in the saucer section, as NX-01 had. Having a secondary shuttle bay there would be too much like an Akira, but the deflector dish fit into my design perfectly. Except I ended up with an empty space on the underside, and had no better idea than to stick a giant cannon there, like on Admiral Riker's refitted Enterprise-D from All Good Things.
Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I've done this with three contests before, and no one has produced anything even similar to mine. If people want to take my idea they should. I don't hold a monopoly on receiving inspiration from other people's artwork.

Okay, I think I'm ready to start modeling the first draft. Working on a good looking saucer right now, and I think I've gonna keep it.

I think after I model each hull section I'll stitch them together, then experiment with smooth settings and subdivided surface conversion. My hope is to get something a sleeker than the Enterprise D.

I'm still learning Maya's modeling tools. For a decade I modeled in Rhino, then exported to Maya for texturing and rendering. I left Rhino behind a couple years ago now, and I find there is still a lot of Maya I just haven't scratched the surface of yet.

Fortunately, a buddy sent me a Maya textbook. Thanks man :) You're a lifesaver :)
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Chardok wrote:It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?
I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Phantasee wrote:
Chardok wrote:It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?
I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.
Or he'd just use the intercom and give the conscripts orders from on high the way an officer should.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I've done this with three contests before, and no one has produced anything even similar to mine. If people want to take my idea they should. I don't hold a monopoly on receiving inspiration from other people's artwork.
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, so I will refrain from posting giant shots of my model for now. I wonder if an 80x80 animated avatar would make a good submission? :)

Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

General Zod wrote:
Phantasee wrote:

Or he'd just use the intercom and give the conscripts orders from on high the way an officer should.
Well, that's why I said that I imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. :)
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Phantasee wrote: Well, that's why I said that I imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. :)
Yeah but my version skips going to engineering entirely and the officer stays on the bridge. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

My scenario is this: bridge officer and engineering officer went to the academy together, bridge officer was less of a fucking nerd and made connections (sts), and he likes to slum it in engineering to rub it in.

Replace bridge officer with Riker and engineering officer with Geordi and you've got it.

EDIT: After all, there's no DRAMA in just shouting down the pipe at the engine room, is there?
XXXI
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

General Zod wrote:What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.
If you just need the 3D functionality for this, you could always just download the 30 day free trial of AutoCAD from Autodesk's website. And then download one of the CAD verticals after that, then another, and another. There are enough of them that you'd get like 6 or 7 months free. 'Course, you could always install it in a virtual machine and reset it after 30 days...Or image your system and reinstall from the image...

For 2D projects, you could try Dassault Systemes DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -overview/
It is free, works with existing .DWG's, and has a similar UI and most of the same command functions as vanilla AutoCAD.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Progress on the 1st draft.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Somthing just looks... wrong... about that secondary hull, maybe stretch out it's backside a little more so it doesn't end so abruptly?

Or at least that's my take on it >.>
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Torben wrote:
General Zod wrote:What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.
If you just need the 3D functionality for this, you could always just download the 30 day free trial of AutoCAD from Autodesk's website. And then download one of the CAD verticals after that, then another, and another. There are enough of them that you'd get like 6 or 7 months free. 'Course, you could always install it in a virtual machine and reset it after 30 days...Or image your system and reinstall from the image...

For 2D projects, you could try Dassault Systemes DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -overview/
It is free, works with existing .DWG's, and has a similar UI and most of the same command functions as vanilla AutoCAD.
I'll give Draftsight a try. If worse comes to worse I can always put in some extra time in my AutoCAD class and use the software there.

Edit: And I'm already impressed with Draftsight. So far it has all the basic functionality of AutoCAD that I'm used to that most of the clones I've tried didn't quite match.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I'm playing with basic shapes again, experimenting with connecting the nacelles to the saucer like in my first wip image, and just trying to come up with something more interesting, attractive or unique.

[edit]
Minor changes:

[edit]
Gak. Apparently I just re-created this:
Coming up with something that hasn;t been tried before is proving rather difficult.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

And your Steamrunner-esque design would be fairly shit structurally if that's a vital secondary hull, rather than just a defelctor or torpedo housing
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Early rough-draft after playing around with Draftsight.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Want to do something different? Something that's never been done? Make a BEEFY ST ship. Seriously the ships get thinner and thinner, and more and more elegant. For once break with tradition and do something big and bulky! Who cares if it is "pretty" go with functionally!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Want to do something different? Something that's never been done? Make a BEEFY ST ship. Seriously the ships get thinner and thinner, and more and more elegant. For once break with tradition and do something big and bulky! Who cares if it is "pretty" go with functionally!
That's actually what I'm doing with my design. :P
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

It's interesting what happens when I extrude the secondary hull out of the back of the saucer.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

So the Century Class is the equivalent of Cyborgs?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I really like your Steamrunner wannabe shape Fuzzy. You can probably get away with making the lower pod smaller and turn it into something less important than an engineering hull, say a weapons pod or something. Your elongated version above is nice too, but pretty much everyone does the long pointy with the secondary hull attached to bottom of hull bit.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

What about a huge donut nacelle outside the ship (Think Vulcan), with 4 structures inside that are defector dishes, and something in the middle?
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:
woah woah woah missing link...

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:What about a huge donut nacelle outside the ship (Think Vulcan), with 4 structures inside that are defector dishes, and something in the middle?
I was actually considering a horseshoe shape with a saucer inside, and maybe a sphere inside that. Might be similar to what you're describing.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Themightytom wrote: woah woah woah missing link...

Oh yeeeah. I guess that one might be important :p