The bargain bin - steam, electronics etc.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Re: The bargain bin - steam, electronics etc.

Post by Whiplash »

weemadando wrote:It's good if you appreciate that sort of thing. My thoughts on it can be found here.
I don't often play M rated titles, but I wanted a bloody follow up to No More Heroes, though I didn't have enough for Desperate Struggle. I'll agree with you on the camera, let me control the camera with the "D-pad", the C button does not work well. I don't mind the time between saves though I did have to play the tutorial 3 times, now I know, only play when you have at least 20 - 30 minutes free. My tv is small so the graphics do hurt my eyes a little, but sometimes one of my roommate's let me use their widescreen, so its MUCH better to look at on there. Its fun to play with other people watching, the reactions are priceless and they give suggestions on what to do. My friend's jaw dropped during the first two boss battles, "I shot his skin off" was definitely the best quote of that session. The length won't bug me since I don't have time to play video games too often, really just play on weekends and I can't really play the same game for several hours. I've developed a huge back log. I still have to unlock everyone in Mario Kart and Brawl and I still have to beat Bully, Battalion Wars, and Fire Emblem. My next purchase will be Desperate Struggle. So its all good for me.
weemadando wrote: For $10 though? If you want a brawler on your Wii, go right for it.
That's what happens when a game doesn't sell well. Desperate Struggle is already $20 and it came out THIS year.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Age of Empires 3 is going for ten cents on GFWL. No, seriously. Ten cents.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And as always, not in Australia.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm wrong - you just have to use the client to do it, you can't use the website.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Is it working for you weemadando? I just tried to purchase it through the client, but it kept just giving errors.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Archaic` wrote:Is it working for you weemadando? I just tried to purchase it through the client, but it kept just giving errors.
If it's cd-key related, they've apparently "ran out". Supposedly they'll be issuing new ones Monday or something.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

No, it just won't let me make the purchase in the first place, giving me errors when I click to confirm it. I guess it just won't work full stop through the client then? Pity, since the website won't let you buy it with an Australian account. =/
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I bought it through the client. It needs to be the newly updated black client
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Actung!
The November/December Steam sales have begun. I've got 200$ set aside to pick up what I can pick up.
Today Alpha Protocol for 7.50$ & Sam and Max Season 3 for 10$ are the better deals (I'll toss Deus Ex both games for 5$ on there as well if you don't own them already buy it because they are good fun)

However in addition one more important bit of news
http://store.steampowered.com/get/

Between the 24-29th 30 people each day will get the top 5 items on their Wish-list for free. However you need to have a 1. Steam Account and 2. A wish-list, adding things to your wish-list is all of a two second click. So 150 people are getting 5 games each free. Needless to say I hopped on, added both call of duty games, Dead Rising 2, Fallout NV and the Witcher 2 to my wish-list. Who knows I might get 300$ worth of games free. All of them are games I'd love to play but won't pay 60$ for them. Been waiting till they hit 25$ or less to pick them up.

Point is get on Steam make your own wish-list, it's easy and you might win some free shit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Gamersgate are running a Thanksgiving sale right now with a number of games discounted from 40% to 75% off.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Dumb questions; but what's with Steam's Gift boxes? Do you essentially buy them on the chance that you get a great deal on the other unmentioned games in the deal?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

I think what the boxes like the 'deus ex 8 pack' are is just 8 copies of that game.

Great deal if you know 10 people who haven't played hl2...
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

MKSheppard wrote:Dumb questions; but what's with Steam's Gift boxes? Do you essentially buy them on the chance that you get a great deal on the other unmentioned games in the deal?
Gift boxes are big old collections of a game that you can give away to someone else on Steam. IE you can buy 8 copies of Deus Ex for about 1.50$ or ten copies of HL2 for 20$ to give away. It make sense if you want to give away some good games to people for very cheap prices. If they were all like that (6 copies of a game for 1$-5$ a game) I'd be all over it but the amounts make no sense. To me 6 seems the right number but the only game I might consider giving copies away (Ruse) is to dang expensive.

If everyone I know did not already own Borderlands for example I might pick that up to give away since that's a deal. But I'd prefer 20$ not 30$
This is the first year's Steam's done it so I'm going to tell them right now they need to iron out the price points and only put the same number (I think six is perfect) at the same price point. I'd buy a 2$ a copy Prey because people don't appreciate that game enough. Or Portal 12$ for six copies.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Mr Bean wrote:Actung!
The November/December Steam sales have begun. I've got 200$ set aside to pick up what I can pick up.
Today Alpha Protocol for 7.50$ & Sam and Max Season 3 for 10$ are the better deals (I'll toss Deus Ex both games for 5$ on there as well if you don't own them already buy it because they are good fun)

However in addition one more important bit of news
http://store.steampowered.com/get/

Between the 24-29th 30 people each day will get the top 5 items on their Wish-list for free. However you need to have a 1. Steam Account and 2. A wish-list, adding things to your wish-list is all of a two second click. So 150 people are getting 5 games each free. Needless to say I hopped on, added both call of duty games, Dead Rising 2, Fallout NV and the Witcher 2 to my wish-list. Who knows I might get 300$ worth of games free. All of them are games I'd love to play but won't pay 60$ for them. Been waiting till they hit 25$ or less to pick them up.

Point is get on Steam make your own wish-list, it's easy and you might win some free shit.
I just made my list and I'd like to point out there are some annoying oddities. Certain games can't be added to the wishlist, such as Borderlands: GoY (only the original game) or the Mass Effect Digital Deluxe Edition, while others such as Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition are. Still a free game is a free game (or five :) ).
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

Damn! Could've gotten Arkham Asylum GotY for cheap, but then saw it's loaded with SecuROM. Fuck that...
Agme
Redshirt

Post by Agme »

http://store.steampowered.com/

Left 4 Dead 2 for $5 and Supreme Commander 2 for $3.75. Makes me rather glad I waited for Left 4 Dead 2 to hit $5 rather than pay full price like I did for the first Left 4 Dead.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Blacklight Tango Down is going for $1.00 on GFWL tomorrow.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Steam's got a treasure hunt going on right now. From the 6th through the 20th, every 2 days you are given 4 objectives to complete. These can be unlocking achievements, getting a certain number of points in a level, or even something as simple as creating an avatar for your Steam profile. Each objective you complete of the 4 earns you a chance to win 5 games from your wishlist, and there are 20 winners chosen at random for each 2-day period. Also, completing at least 10 objectives over the entire 14 days, and logging onto Steam at least once on the 20th, will give you the chance to win 100 games of your choosing.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Further note, they are also discounting all the games on the "treasure" hunt. The treasure hunt seems to be tied to Steam achievements for certain games. If they are achievements in a game then the game is discounted that day.

I had already unlocked the Iron Curtain and set up an avatar so two free points for me. But fuck Ruse.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Humble Indie Bundle2!
Pay as much as you want.

The first Indie bundle was quite awesome (and I paid for it, duh :P).
Machinarium is a really lovely adventure game, and Braid isn't bad (though very overrated). I don't know the rest of them.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Steam sales Metro 2033 for 10$, Just Cause 2 for 7.50$ and Beat Hazard for 2.50$
Metro and Just Cause are worth the money, can't comment on Beat Hazard

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Beat Hazard is a twin stick shooter that generates levels based on music (like Audiosurf to take one other example). It's quite fun and for $2.50 you'll get plenty out of it.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

weemadando wrote:Beat Hazard is a twin stick shooter that generates levels based on music (like Audiosurf to take one other example). It's quite fun and for $2.50 you'll get plenty out of it.
I think the best description is probably Asteroids Audiosurf style.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

http://www.gog.com/en/page/xmas10/?source=newsletter

GOG is doing a holiday sale, with 50% off for a lot of excellent titles.

(Planescape Torment, Psychonauts, Baldur's Gate...)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Outcast.

OUTCAST PEOPLE!

Get it, do the config file resolution fix and BAM. You have a remarkable open world action RPG FROM MORE THAN A DECADE AGO.