Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - Barnett Cocks, British political writer (1907-)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-27 07:01pm
Padawan Learner

Not ripped off per se, but if someone with more skill (or free time) than you sees something useful in your design, he may submit a better version of your idea to the contest.

For example, I completely forgot about the option to place the main deflector in the saucer section, as NX-01 had. Having a secondary shuttle bay there would be too much like an Akira, but the deflector dish fit into my design perfectly. Except I ended up with an empty space on the underside, and had no better idea than to stick a giant cannon there, like on Admiral Riker's refitted Enterprise-D from All Good Things.

Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-27 10:49pm
Jedi Knight

I've done this with three contests before, and no one has produced anything even similar to mine. If people want to take my idea they should. I don't hold a monopoly on receiving inspiration from other people's artwork.

Okay, I think I'm ready to start modeling the first draft. Working on a good looking saucer right now, and I think I've gonna keep it.

I think after I model each hull section I'll stitch them together, then experiment with smooth settings and subdivided surface conversion. My hope is to get something a sleeker than the Enterprise D.

I'm still learning Maya's modeling tools. For a decade I modeled in Rhino, then exported to Maya for texturing and rendering. I left Rhino behind a couple years ago now, and I find there is still a lot of Maya I just haven't scratched the surface of yet.

Fortunately, a buddy sent me a Maya textbook. Thanks man :) You're a lifesaver :)

www.crossovercomic.com

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 02:18am
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati
Chardok wrote:
It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?

I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.

XXV

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 02:26am
Kneel before Zod!

Phantasee wrote:
Chardok wrote:
It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?

I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.

Or he'd just use the intercom and give the conscripts orders from on high the way an officer should.

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 02:27am
Padawan Learner

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:
I've done this with three contests before, and no one has produced anything even similar to mine. If people want to take my idea they should. I don't hold a monopoly on receiving inspiration from other people's artwork.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, so I will refrain from posting giant shots of my model for now. I wonder if an 80x80 animated avatar would make a good submission? :)

Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 04:00am

General Zod wrote:
Phantasee wrote:
Chardok wrote:

Or he'd just use the intercom and give the conscripts orders from on high the way an officer should.

Well, that's why I said that I imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. :)

XXV

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 04:11am
Kneel before Zod!

Phantasee wrote:
Well, that's why I said that I imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. :)

Yeah but my version skips going to engineering entirely and the officer stays on the bridge. :P

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 04:34am

My scenario is this: bridge officer and engineering officer went to the academy together, bridge officer was less of a fucking nerd and made connections (sts), and he likes to slum it in engineering to rub it in.

Replace bridge officer with Riker and engineering officer with Geordi and you've got it.

EDIT: After all, there's no DRAMA in just shouting down the pipe at the engine room, is there?

XXV

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 10:04am
Youngling

Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida
General Zod wrote:
What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.

If you just need the 3D functionality for this, you could always just download the 30 day free trial of AutoCAD from Autodesk's website. And then download one of the CAD verticals after that, then another, and another. There are enough of them that you'd get like 6 or 7 months free. 'Course, you could always install it in a virtual machine and reset it after 30 days...Or image your system and reinstall from the image...

For 2D projects, you could try Dassault Systemes DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -overview/
It is free, works with existing .DWG's, and has a similar UI and most of the same command functions as vanilla AutoCAD.

“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 05:10pm
Jedi Knight

Progress on the 1st draft.

www.crossovercomic.com

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 05:36pm
Jedi Knight

Somthing just looks... wrong... about that secondary hull, maybe stretch out it's backside a little more so it doesn't end so abruptly?

Or at least that's my take on it >.>

This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 06:56pm
Kneel before Zod!

Torben wrote:
General Zod wrote:
What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.

If you just need the 3D functionality for this, you could always just download the 30 day free trial of AutoCAD from Autodesk's website. And then download one of the CAD verticals after that, then another, and another. There are enough of them that you'd get like 6 or 7 months free. 'Course, you could always install it in a virtual machine and reset it after 30 days...Or image your system and reinstall from the image...

For 2D projects, you could try Dassault Systemes DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -overview/
It is free, works with existing .DWG's, and has a similar UI and most of the same command functions as vanilla AutoCAD.

I'll give Draftsight a try. If worse comes to worse I can always put in some extra time in my AutoCAD class and use the software there.

Edit: And I'm already impressed with Draftsight. So far it has all the basic functionality of AutoCAD that I'm used to that most of the clones I've tried didn't quite match.

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 07:34pm
Jedi Knight

I'm playing with basic shapes again, experimenting with connecting the nacelles to the saucer like in my first wip image, and just trying to come up with something more interesting, attractive or unique.

[edit]
Minor changes:

[edit]
Gak. Apparently I just re-created this:
Coming up with something that hasn;t been tried before is proving rather difficult.

www.crossovercomic.com

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 08:29pm
Castellan

And your Steamrunner-esque design would be fairly shit structurally if that's a vital secondary hull, rather than just a defelctor or torpedo housing

"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 10:32pm
Kneel before Zod!

Early rough-draft after playing around with Draftsight.

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 10:33pm
Emperor's Hand

Want to do something different? Something that's never been done? Make a BEEFY ST ship. Seriously the ships get thinner and thinner, and more and more elegant. For once break with tradition and do something big and bulky! Who cares if it is "pretty" go with functionally!

Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 10:35pm
Kneel before Zod!

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Want to do something different? Something that's never been done? Make a BEEFY ST ship. Seriously the ships get thinner and thinner, and more and more elegant. For once break with tradition and do something big and bulky! Who cares if it is "pretty" go with functionally!

That's actually what I'm doing with my design. :P

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-28 11:39pm
Jedi Knight

It's interesting what happens when I extrude the secondary hull out of the back of the saucer.

www.crossovercomic.com

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 01:20am
Jedi Knight

Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:

www.crossovercomic.com

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 02:38am
Jedi Knight

So the Century Class is the equivalent of Cyborgs?

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 03:46am
Emperor's Hand

I really like your Steamrunner wannabe shape Fuzzy. You can probably get away with making the lower pod smaller and turn it into something less important than an engineering hull, say a weapons pod or something. Your elongated version above is nice too, but pretty much everyone does the long pointy with the secondary hull attached to bottom of hull bit.

They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 04:21am
Jedi Knight

What about a huge donut nacelle outside the ship (Think Vulcan), with 4 structures inside that are defector dishes, and something in the middle?

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 12:36pm
Sith Devotee

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:
Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:

woah woah woah missing link...

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 01:10pm
Jedi Knight

Chaotic Neutral wrote:
What about a huge donut nacelle outside the ship (Think Vulcan), with 4 structures inside that are defector dishes, and something in the middle?

I was actually considering a horseshoe shape with a saucer inside, and maybe a sphere inside that. Might be similar to what you're describing.

www.crossovercomic.com

Post subject: Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest) PostPosted: 2010-11-29 02:00pm
Jedi Knight

Themightytom wrote:
woah woah woah missing link...

Oh yeeeah. I guess that one might be important :p

www.crossovercomic.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next