OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

User avatar
CSJM
Padawan Learner
Posts: 150
Joined: 2010-06-25 11:17am

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby CSJM » 2010-11-27 06:01pm

Not ripped off per se, but if someone with more skill (or free time) than you sees something useful in your design, he may submit a better version of your idea to the contest.

For example, I completely forgot about the option to place the main deflector in the saucer section, as NX-01 had. Having a secondary shuttle bay there would be too much like an Akira, but the deflector dish fit into my design perfectly. Except I ended up with an empty space on the underside, and had no better idea than to stick a giant cannon there, like on Admiral Riker's refitted Enterprise-D from All Good Things.
Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-27 09:49pm

I've done this with three contests before, and no one has produced anything even similar to mine. If people want to take my idea they should. I don't hold a monopoly on receiving inspiration from other people's artwork.

___________________________________

Okay, I think I'm ready to start modeling the first draft. Working on a good looking saucer right now, and I think I've gonna keep it.

I think after I model each hull section I'll stitch them together, then experiment with smooth settings and subdivided surface conversion. My hope is to get something a sleeker than the Enterprise D.

I'm still learning Maya's modeling tools. For a decade I modeled in Rhino, then exported to Maya for texturing and rendering. I left Rhino behind a couple years ago now, and I find there is still a lot of Maya I just haven't scratched the surface of yet.

Fortunately, a buddy sent me a Maya textbook. Thanks man :) You're a lifesaver :)

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Phantasee » 2010-11-28 01:18am

Chardok wrote:It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?

I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.
XXV

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 28660
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby General Zod » 2010-11-28 01:26am

Phantasee wrote:
Chardok wrote:It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?

I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.


Or he'd just use the intercom and give the conscripts orders from on high the way an officer should.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

ImageImage

User avatar
CSJM
Padawan Learner
Posts: 150
Joined: 2010-06-25 11:17am

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby CSJM » 2010-11-28 01:27am

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I've done this with three contests before, and no one has produced anything even similar to mine. If people want to take my idea they should. I don't hold a monopoly on receiving inspiration from other people's artwork.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, so I will refrain from posting giant shots of my model for now. I wonder if an 80x80 animated avatar would make a good submission? :)

Image
Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Phantasee » 2010-11-28 03:00am

General Zod wrote:
Phantasee wrote:
Chardok wrote:It occurs to me that being forced (should a bridge officer desire) to go all the way down through the saucer, into the engineering hull, then up the pylons to reach the nacelles is pretty stupid. can you attach a support strut that attaches...the....front of the nacelles to the saucer section somehow without making it look stupid?

I would imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. If anything, he'd go to engineering, and engineering would have people who actually go to the nacelle. Do you know how noticeable dust is on red?

If you really wanted to be efficient with internal travel times you could just make it a sphere or maybe even a cube...like the Bor(in)g.


Or he'd just use the intercom and give the conscripts orders from on high the way an officer should.

Well, that's why I said that I imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. :)
XXV

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 28660
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby General Zod » 2010-11-28 03:11am

Phantasee wrote:Well, that's why I said that I imagine it is very rare for a bridge officer to go that far. :)


Yeah but my version skips going to engineering entirely and the officer stays on the bridge. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

ImageImage

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Phantasee » 2010-11-28 03:34am

My scenario is this: bridge officer and engineering officer went to the academy together, bridge officer was less of a fucking nerd and made connections (sts), and he likes to slum it in engineering to rub it in.

Replace bridge officer with Riker and engineering officer with Geordi and you've got it.

EDIT: After all, there's no DRAMA in just shouting down the pipe at the engine room, is there?
XXV

User avatar
Torben
Padawan Learner
Posts: 153
Joined: 2008-11-21 10:16pm
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Torben » 2010-11-28 09:04am

General Zod wrote:What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.


If you just need the 3D functionality for this, you could always just download the 30 day free trial of AutoCAD from Autodesk's website. And then download one of the CAD verticals after that, then another, and another. There are enough of them that you'd get like 6 or 7 months free. 'Course, you could always install it in a virtual machine and reset it after 30 days...Or image your system and reinstall from the image...

For 2D projects, you could try Dassault Systemes DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -overview/
It is free, works with existing .DWG's, and has a similar UI and most of the same command functions as vanilla AutoCAD.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-28 04:10pm

Progress on the 1st draft.
Image

User avatar
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight
Posts: 901
Joined: 2009-07-22 11:37am
Location: Rainy Suburb, Northern England
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby OmegaChief » 2010-11-28 04:36pm

Somthing just looks... wrong... about that secondary hull, maybe stretch out it's backside a little more so it doesn't end so abruptly?

Or at least that's my take on it >.>
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 28660
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby General Zod » 2010-11-28 05:56pm

Torben wrote:
General Zod wrote:What software are you using for that? I'm poking around for some decent CAD substitutes right now for this but sadly I'm not having much luck.


If you just need the 3D functionality for this, you could always just download the 30 day free trial of AutoCAD from Autodesk's website. And then download one of the CAD verticals after that, then another, and another. There are enough of them that you'd get like 6 or 7 months free. 'Course, you could always install it in a virtual machine and reset it after 30 days...Or image your system and reinstall from the image...

For 2D projects, you could try Dassault Systemes DraftSight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -overview/
It is free, works with existing .DWG's, and has a similar UI and most of the same command functions as vanilla AutoCAD.


I'll give Draftsight a try. If worse comes to worse I can always put in some extra time in my AutoCAD class and use the software there.

Edit: And I'm already impressed with Draftsight. So far it has all the basic functionality of AutoCAD that I'm used to that most of the clones I've tried didn't quite match.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

ImageImage

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-28 06:34pm

I'm playing with basic shapes again, experimenting with connecting the nacelles to the saucer like in my first wip image, and just trying to come up with something more interesting, attractive or unique.

Image

[edit]
Minor changes:
Image

[edit]
Gak. Apparently I just re-created this:
Image
Coming up with something that hasn;t been tried before is proving rather difficult.

User avatar
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan
Posts: 8097
Joined: 2010-03-09 02:16pm
Location: Bound in a nutshell
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Eternal_Freedom » 2010-11-28 07:29pm

And your Steamrunner-esque design would be fairly shit structurally if that's a vital secondary hull, rather than just a defelctor or torpedo housing
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

"If I killed all the reporters, there’d be news from Hell before breakfast." - General William T. Sherman

“I’ve always thought the Yankees had something to do with it.” - Confederate General George Pickett, on being asked why his charge at Ghettysburg failed

SDN World 6: The Kingdom of Orion

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 28660
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby General Zod » 2010-11-28 09:32pm

Early rough-draft after playing around with Draftsight.

Image
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

ImageImage

User avatar
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 8707
Joined: 2005-03-20 06:26pm
Location: Defending Sparkeling Bishonen
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Crossroads Inc. » 2010-11-28 09:33pm

Want to do something different? Something that's never been done? Make a BEEFY ST ship. Seriously the ships get thinner and thinner, and more and more elegant. For once break with tradition and do something big and bulky! Who cares if it is "pretty" go with functionally!
Image
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!

User avatar
General Zod
Never Shuts Up
Posts: 28660
Joined: 2003-11-18 03:08pm
Location: The Clearance Rack
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby General Zod » 2010-11-28 09:35pm

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Want to do something different? Something that's never been done? Make a BEEFY ST ship. Seriously the ships get thinner and thinner, and more and more elegant. For once break with tradition and do something big and bulky! Who cares if it is "pretty" go with functionally!


That's actually what I'm doing with my design. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

ImageImage

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-28 10:39pm

It's interesting what happens when I extrude the secondary hull out of the back of the saucer.
Image

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-29 12:20am

Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:
Image

User avatar
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight
Posts: 576
Joined: 2010-09-09 11:43pm
Location: California

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Chaotic Neutral » 2010-11-29 01:38am

So the Century Class is the equivalent of Cyborgs?

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15139
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Knife » 2010-11-29 02:46am

I really like your Steamrunner wannabe shape Fuzzy. You can probably get away with making the lower pod smaller and turn it into something less important than an engineering hull, say a weapons pod or something. Your elongated version above is nice too, but pretty much everyone does the long pointy with the secondary hull attached to bottom of hull bit.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight
Posts: 576
Joined: 2010-09-09 11:43pm
Location: California

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Chaotic Neutral » 2010-11-29 03:21am

What about a huge donut nacelle outside the ship (Think Vulcan), with 4 structures inside that are defector dishes, and something in the middle?

User avatar
Themightytom
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2746
Joined: 2007-12-22 11:11am
Location: United States

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Themightytom » 2010-11-29 11:36am

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:
Image


woah woah woah missing link...

Image

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-29 12:10pm

Chaotic Neutral wrote:What about a huge donut nacelle outside the ship (Think Vulcan), with 4 structures inside that are defector dishes, and something in the middle?


I was actually considering a horseshoe shape with a saucer inside, and maybe a sphere inside that. Might be similar to what you're describing.

User avatar
Fuzzy_Modem
Jedi Knight
Posts: 559
Joined: 2010-02-09 05:36pm

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Postby Fuzzy_Modem » 2010-11-29 01:00pm

Themightytom wrote:woah woah woah missing link...

Image


Oh yeeeah. I guess that one might be important :p


Return to “Art Gallery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests