First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Re: First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Post by neoolong »

Here they are.

Hammond's at the very bottom.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Crap; sorry about that. :oops:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thank you.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nice how they set up Sarrsgard as the villain, but get Sinestro on the poster with 'evil' on it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The comments in that link made me roll my eyes. There's being skeptical that something will be good and there's being a whiny bitch, and far too many of the "OMG GL will SUCK!" complaints are falling in the latter category. :evil:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Ignore the talkbackers. Those are anonymous postings not linked to forum accounts, so you get a lot of trolling.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

neoolong wrote:Ignore the talkbackers. Those are anonymous postings not linked to forum accounts, so you get a lot of trolling.
Well, yeah, but my point remains that there are a lot of little bitches who whine about the slightest things. Reminds me of the lines from "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", really... :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

We have our first footage from the film, so I figured it'd be better to resurrect this thread than start a new one.

My thoughts?

Um...it's so-so. I'm not quite blown away.

The ring constructs and Killowog look nice, though.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Way too short and hectic for a definite opinion. OTHER than those inevitable, when you get down to it, drawbacks when we're talking trailers, that didn't look half bad.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sometimes I think we comic geeks are our own worst enemy. We clamor for things but will also immediately jump up and scream "IT SUCKS!" at the slightest thing, no matter how good or bad it actually is.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I like that short amount of footage, from what I've seen. The GL suit in doesn't look as weird in live action as it did the EW cover (with all the fake muscles shown up close), and it looks like the movie will have a bit of everything from action to romance and comedy. The full trailer will be on Entertainment Tonight this Tuesday, and will be attached to the Harry Potter movie coming out on Friday.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I think it looks good, though I would've preferred the green-and-black over the solid green uniform.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I heard Ben Browder was once considered for Green Lantern way back when. I personally thought he would be a better Kyle than Hal, but I hope he still has a shot at it in the future--I imagined him making a good Lantern.

If you had to pick an actor for Hal, who would it be?
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nathan Fillion would have been my first choice.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

JME2 wrote:Nathan Fillion would have been my first choice.
Awesome GL fan trailer. Let's see how the actual trailer stacks up. :)
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

It's got its work cut out competing with that. That wouldn't have been half bad as an official trailer.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

JME2 wrote:Nathan Fillion would have been my first choice.
I believe a good fraction of the comic-book-reading populace agrees with you.
Maybe we'll get to see him show up as Hal's father in a flashback, or something?

Ryan Reynolds would really make a better Kyle or Guy to my mind, but I'm hopeful for this film.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The saddest part? If the writer understands that rookie Jordan isn't this SERIOUZ BUZINESS jackass most writers make him to be, this will be good. It will be a light hearted science fiction flick, but the rabid fanboys will decry it isn't the Hal Jordan they know and love of the last ten years. Sadly, this does not look the case except in the scenes of Hal before and getting the ring.

Even moreso, they are going to force down 80s training montage, a bunch of extras only fanboys will care for, and then back to EARTH!!! to face down one of Hal Jordan's dumbest looking villains.

For once, I wish they would look at Marvel and see what bits they did right with Iron Man.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The official trailer is online. It looks good IMO but it didn't blow me away like some other trailers have. Looks like they'll be playing to Reynolds's comedic talents, although he'll be getting serious as well.

The official summary claims that Carol Ferris is Hal's "childhood sweetheart," so it seems that they'll be putting more emphasis on the romantic aspect. While I don't want to judge her over a couple of lines in a trailer, Blake Lively's delivery seemed a bit off. Hopefully she'll come across better in the full movie.

Tornado Ninja Fan
Redshirt

Post by Tornado Ninja Fan »

That weird pattern on the uniform makes GL look a bit alien. They might have done that to underline the fact that the corps is an alien organization.

But I think they captured the essence of the character perfectly. Why? There is a giant green fist in the trailer. :lol:
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Batman wrote:The audience seems to relate to MY origin story just fine :D
What? Everyone hated you, I was so glad when they killed you off, Jason. Now they bring you back and you pretend to be Batman. :P

Say why haven't you changed your name back to Red Hood?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nice. Not blown away either, but nice.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Jim Raynor wrote:The official trailer is online. It looks good IMO but it didn't blow me away like some other trailers have. Looks like they'll be playing to Reynolds's comedic talents, although he'll be getting serious as well.
It's pretty decent overall, but the scenes in the locker room and in the apartment are just... incredibly awkward.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Yeah ... I'm really not that hyped about this. I don't know much about the GL, but combine the weird costume design, with awkward CGI, acting and a few other things. I'll just see what the response is and maybe catch it the week after it comes out if the word of mouth is good.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Whiplash wrote:Yeah ... I'm really not that hyped about this. I don't know much about the GL, but combine the weird costume design, with awkward CGI, acting and a few other things. I'll just see what the response is and maybe catch it the week after it comes out if the word of mouth is good.
The GL fans at large going into this with high hopes given the boost in popularity and acclaim the books have had since 2004.

I'm hopeful, but I'm not necessarily hyped about this.