SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Post by Simon_Jester »

Heck, I'm not feeling fighty about this.
Steve wrote:My foot's coming down this time. Before I've bargained and relented but I'm done with that. Shep said nothing about secret delay-fused nukes when he launched the bombardment initially, he didn't come to me asking me if he could run with this before just posting it...
So... this post or parts of it have essentially the same status as my Pulp Fiction parody?
...and it beggars belief that over six months occupation forces would not invest the time and resources necessary to ensure there were no undetonated nuclear weapons in the area and to safely remove them, especially since this is not 1990-1991 and we're not dealing with conventional explosives; this is a space operatic sci-fi setting with a tech base to match and we're dealing with atomic weapons.
This is, broadly speaking, what I for one have been saying.
Ergo, there are no unexploded nuclear devices to initiate and Shep's post is null and void as a real event. Would make a fun event for a dark holocomedy series, though...
The latter half could easily be canon without the underlying causes being those cited in the first half. Robert Satan McNamara does not need a nuclear attack to have a vendetta against some random fighter pilot.

Hell. Maybe Krace dropped some dud SDBOOMSHROOM conventional bombs or whatever and they blew up the restaurant(s) specifically, without causing massive collateral damage to the surrounding area like nukes would. That would arguably make more sense; it's easier for McNamara to hold her responsible for the bombs she dropped than for the nuclear bunker busters she didn't.

Heck, if I were policing up UXO in a Sheppo bombardment zone and I knew I'd found the last nuke, I might be sorely tempted to call it a day. Compared to the risk of Sheppo nukes going off, Sheppo conventional munitions are a nonevent!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Actually, i was only de-canonizing the first half with the nuclear explosions. The rest of the stuff with McNamara and bizarre fast food hatreds is fine.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

I know I post infrequently enough anyways, but I am going to have to take a break from this due to time constraints and the fact that while I have a couple of stories plotted out I can't seem to find my muse to actually write them. I'll try and keep up with game events and post whenever I do wind up getting something written. All I ask is that if you do anything with the planet Hanson try and keep it minor as my stories both revolve around that planet.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darnit.

Hope you make it back soon, man.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Meh... if the Sheppos wanted to be really vindictive, they could have rigged the bombs to go off during attempted bomb disposal ...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Meh... if the Sheppos wanted to be really vindictive, they could have rigged the bombs to go off during attempted bomb disposal ...
That is a really bad plan if you intend to conquer the planet.

Remember, the Sheppoes wanted this area as an occupation zone at some point, or at least pretended to. Somehow I doubt they were thinking about ticking thermonuclear time bombs underneath the area at the time.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Meh... if the Sheppos wanted to be really vindictive, they could have rigged the bombs to go off during attempted bomb disposal ...
That is a really bad plan if you intend to conquer the planet.

Remember, the Sheppoes wanted this area as an occupation zone at some point, or at least pretended to. Somehow I doubt they were thinking about ticking thermonuclear time bombs underneath the area at the time.
They could have rigged the bombs to go off if the bomb disposal was done by non-Sheppos who don't have the necessary deactivation signals.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Still seems excessively Murphy non-compliant, what with the risk of accidentally blowing up your allies' ordnance disposal teams and thus committing an act of war against them.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:Still seems excessively Murphy non-compliant, what with the risk of accidentally blowing up your allies' ordnance disposal teams and thus committing an act of war against them.
You are talking about Shep....
Kreia
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

It's just not possible to separate Shep from his love for nukes.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Meh seriously, the game has gotten tad boring. If there's to be diplomatic tension, let there be some, really.
Kreia
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Meh seriously, the game has gotten tad boring. If there's to be diplomatic tension, let there be some, really.
Huzzah, three cheers for this thought. The problem is that we collectively are already in a rut conflict wise, with pirates being a constant that is kinda boring. I blame the way Pendleton was handled, with to many people sticking to beating up on the little NPC. Of all the conflict that has happened most of it has been PC vs NPC unless you are in the K-zone. In the K-zone there still hasn't been any movement because the sides are too balanced. Where is the attempts by the Bragulans to turn the Refuge to their cause rather than towards the Solarian's?

Force Lord: If you ever thought I was picking on you at some point it was mostly just to get some conflict going. Boring stories and boring games share one thing, a lack of conflict.

ps, I am about to have a post to continue the power rangers epic.

edit: bah humbug grammar mumble mumble... and again.
Last edited by Agent Sorchus on 2010-11-09 08:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A fair point, both of you, I will grant that.

I think I'm projecting too much Umerian onto the Shepistanis.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

No problems, Sorchus. Though the way I set up my nation meant that the potential for conflict was not that high to begin with.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Force Lord wrote:No problems, Sorchus. Though the way I set up my nation meant that the potential for conflict was not that high to begin with.
Perhaps in the future we can work towards something interesting in terms of conflict that you could get behind. But yeah isolationists are going to be hard to get into a conflict with but still it is all for the good of the game.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Agent Sorchus wrote:
Force Lord wrote:No problems, Sorchus. Though the way I set up my nation meant that the potential for conflict was not that high to begin with.
Perhaps in the future we can work towards something interesting in terms of conflict that you could get behind. But yeah isolationists are going to be hard to get into a conflict with but still it is all for the good of the game.
Well, I'll see what I can do.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I'd be willing to get into conflict with you, Force Lord. Or a ideo-heretical expansionist alliance. :P
Truth fears no trial.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Meh seriously, the game has gotten tad boring. If there's to be diplomatic tension, let there be some, really.
This. Who wants to tango with the Bragulans? The Tango de la Muerte!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Force Lord wrote:Well, I'll see what I can do.
No hurry. Just an eventuality. I even might have some Ideas already, but I need to finish of the pirates and continue the Power Rangers Saga.

Tanasinn heads up, I am going to get a PM ready to finish planning for the pirate thing. Soonish.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sorry about the pirate storyline; it kind of got out of control. I'm hoping to make it fun to read at least, but you're right that it doesn't do much good for player interaction.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Tanasinn wrote:I'd be willing to get into conflict with you, Force Lord. Or a ideo-heretical expansionist alliance. :P
Well, I think that can work. :) But I still have the pirate storyline to finish.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Simon_Jester wrote:Sorry about the pirate storyline; it kind of got out of control. I'm hoping to make it fun to read at least, but you're right that it doesn't do much good for player interaction.
The story itself isn't bad, the fact that it or things similar to it are dominating the Story thread right now is the problem. I like it even if the writer in me wants to see how much shorter he could have made it. There should be some p2p action and p2np interaction at all time. Capiche?

Also: holy discussion Batman!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Where is the attempts by the Bragulans to turn the Refuge to their cause rather than towards the Solarian's
Still thinking on that. At the moment I think it is too early for them to do much, since this is the first-ever contact between their diplomaticos.

But yeah, we need to stir shits up.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It would help if we have other forms of communicationings. AIM, MSN, YM, anythings.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh, BTW? Siege picked the song that starts our co-op post. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED