Star Trek Fleet Sizes

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Morningstar
Redshirt

Star Trek Fleet Sizes

Post by Morningstar »

This is a graph showing Alpha Quadrant and Dominion fleet strengths before and after the Dominion War. It is based on information found on this very informative website http://www.ditl.org/index.php?daymain=/ ... cle.php?14

Note: These figures are not fleet numbers but rather a total of fleet fire-power. Which in turn is indicative of numbers and of course overall fleet strength.

My only issue with the figures presented was the power of Romulan Fleets which I had thought to be more on par with the Federation and the Klingons.

"Fear is the mind killer"

http://royalthinking.blogspot.com/
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek Fleet Sizes

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sight problem with that - those numbers are all in white. I.e. pure speculation, and therefore no more than a fanfic.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

If that graph is of the number of ships, then those numbers are WAAAY too high.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

They aren't - Graham's developed a system that rates various qualities of ships (effective protection, mobility, and firepower) relative to the GCS (for which everything rates 1000 points). The problem is that both the system is purely speculative, as are the fleet numbers that he's used.
SeaTrooper
Youngling

Post by SeaTrooper »

Ah, so that graph doesn't actually show number of ships at all, but rather a quantification of various strengths and weaknesses on a point-based scale. Okay, that makes some sense. When I first looked at the vertical scale and saw 6,000,000 I very nearly ignored it automatically as some trektard wank and moved on.

However, the distinction that he used some form of points-based scale to achieve this does have some merit. What we need now are the calcs and base-line assumptions he used, if we are to determine the value of the results. Think of it as peer review.

My next concern were the comparisons. Can I assume the Cardassian pre-Dom War figures are also post-Klingon invasion? From that scale, they simply don't look strong enough to have forced such an unbalanced treaty out of the Feds; even given their apparent peace at any price mentality. And why are the Klingons so extremely strong? Hadn't they just fought a civil war for the Chancellorship?
"Know Enough To Be Afraid" - Transylvania Polygnostic

The Royal Navy has not survived for so long by setting an example for others,
but by making an example of those others...
Kythnos
Youngling

Post by Kythnos »

Are those numbers for the Dominion fleet strength Alpha quadrant only because I don't think their home fleets where effected much if at all. They might have lost a few ships to the minefield and a large number to the wormhole but I can't see that many ships being lost by them, when for most of the war they could not send any ships to re-enforce the war efforts.
There's a great difference between potential and developed power. The one is clearly visible and can be awe-inspiring. The other may take a demigod to recognize.