New trilogy starting 2015?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Marikina
Redshirt

New trilogy starting 2015?

Post by Marikina »

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=24337
3 New Star Wars Movies?

IESB is reporting that George Lucas is planning 3 new Star Wars movies after the re-release of the current six in 3D.
So what would you say if I told you that 3 new Star Wars movies were on the table? Would you jump for joy or grab your pitch forks to storm Skywalker Ranch? Will it looks like you will get your chance to do one or the other soon!

IESB is reporting that they have the inside information from a source within Lucasfilm!

"The word from our ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider is that Lucas has gotten the itch and is already looking ahead into launching an entirely new trilogy in that galaxy far, far away.

What do we know? First of all, these new film will have nothing to do with the live action television series currently in development. That show already has over 50 scripts ready to go and plenty of pre-production time and money has been spent on artwork and storyboards. Once that show goes into production, Lucasfilm hopes to be able to produce at least 100 episodes since that is the threshold for syndication in the United States.

IESB has been told fans can expect the new trilogy after the entire saga is released in 3D which is expected to be complete around 2015 or 2016.

The ideal plan, according to our spy at Skywalker Ranch, is to be able to release a new Star Wars film within 24 months after the release of the last re-re-release (is that right?) of Return of the Jedi 3D."
Marikina
Redshirt

Re: New trilogy starting 2015?

Post by Marikina »

Ah well, should've read it all the way down first:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/10/ ... s-trilogy/
Update: Lucasfilm Denies New Star Wars Trilogy Is in the Works

Crushing some fanboys’ dreams, Lucasfilm denied a supposed insider report Saturday that alleged George Lucas is planning to film three new Star Wars movies.

The report, published late Friday by IESB and citing an “ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider,” claims the new trilogy would land after the planned 3-D conversion of the six Star Wars films.

“This is, of course, completely false,” Lucasfilm spokesman Josh Kushins told Wired.com in an e-mail Saturday about the report. “George Lucas has plenty of projects to keep him busy right now — including plenty of Star Wars projects — but there are no new Star Wars feature films planned.”

On message boards, sci-fi fans — stung by rumors like this in the past, as well as by changes to the original Star Wars films over the years — discussed the plausibility of a new trilogy.

“Obviously it’s a rumor, but [IESB] must have heard it somewhere and are only reporting what they hear,” wrote ObiWanJedi93 on TheForce.net’s Star Wars community board. “I, personally, would love to see another trilogy, so long as it doesn’t overlook everything that has happened post-[Return of the Jedi], like the Thrawn trilogy/Legacy of the Force/Fate of the Jedi.”

Others reacted a bit less optimistically.

“Oh gawd why!?” wrote Princess Namey on an Adult Swim message board thread about the rumor. “Why can’t [Lucas] try and make ‘orginal’ movies again, and leave Star Wars alone?”

Both the IESB website and the official Star Wars forums were experiencing technical problems Saturday afternoon, possibly due to overwhelming interest in the rumor.

Wired.com’s original mention of IESB’s report follows:

Quoting an “ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider,” IESB reports that George Lucas is planning to roll out a new Star Wars trilogy after the six original films have been converted into 3-D.

“George Lucas is plotting to create new Star Wars movies at the ultra top-secret Skywalker Ranch,” the entertainment news site says. “This is deja vu of the mid ’90s when Uncle George [started] tweaking the Holy Trilogy to gear up for the Special Editions.”

IESB’s anonymous source says the films probably would be set in the Star Wars universe but would not focus on the Skywalker family.

“Too early for story details but one thing that our source is certain about, they will not be prequels but instead sequels,” IESB says. “It’s not for certain if they will be the long-awaited Episodes 7, 8 and 9 but could instead be Episodes 10, 11 and 12 or possibly even further out in the Star Wars timeline. And by giving space in the timeline, possibly even as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future, Lucas avoids having to make these stories ‘fit in’ with what the previous stories have told.”

The unconfirmed report says the new trilogy, which ideally would hit theaters within two years of the 3-D re-release of the first six Star Wars movies, would have nothing to do with the live-action Star Wars television show that’s in development.

Wired.com has contacted Lucasfilm in an attempt to confirm or deny IESB’s report, but it’s the weekend — and Lucasfilm is secretive, for obvious reasons — so don’t hold your breath.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I'll believe it when I see it. There's already been lots of stories about imminent sequel trilogies over the years--I think there were 'leaked scripts' for episodes 7, 8, and 9 back before ROTS was released or something. :roll:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Let me respond to some choice quotes.
“I, personally, would love to see another trilogy, so long as it doesn’t overlook everything that has happened post-[Return of the Jedi], like the Thrawn trilogy/Legacy of the Force/Fate of the Jedi.”
Leaving aside that sequels aren't happening, why the hell would anyone think Lucas would base them on, or have them be beholden to, the EU books. If, in some fit of madness, Lucas decided to make sequels, he'd come up with his own ideas. They might suck, but I doubt he'd want to make a movie of someone else's books.
“It’s not for certain if they will be the long-awaited Episodes 7, 8 and 9 but could instead be Episodes 10, 11 and 12 or possibly even further out in the Star Wars timeline. And by giving space in the timeline, possibly even as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future, Lucas avoids having to make these stories ‘fit in’ with what the previous stories have told.”
What would be the point of that? If you're going to spin the story out so far that it has nothing to do with the previous movies, it's not really Star Wars anymore. You may as well just make up a new sci-fi/fantasy setting instead of trying to ride Star Wars' coattails.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

“ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider”
Hmm. This turn-of phrase sounds suspiciously familiar, especially when linked to claims of a sequel trilogy. Does this sound like Supershadow to anyone else, or am I being paranoid?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Yeah, a 'super-duper-secret spy in Lucasfilm!!!1!' is a phrase I've seen often in 'reports' of sequel trilogies.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

In March 2007, Lucas stated that the idea of a sequel trilogy was "amusing" but didn't seem realistic at the time. [4]

During ShoWest 2008, Lucas gave an interview where he mentioned the difference between "his world", "the licensing world" and the "fans' world":

Interviewer: "Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?"

Lucas: "But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. " [5]

Another noteworthy exchange between Lucas and an interviewer appeared in the May 2008 edition of Total Film magazine:

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"
LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
Wookieepedia
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Lucas wrote:But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books.
This quote has always amused me. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who grew up with the Original Trilogy that thinks it's about Anakin Skywalker. The Original Trilogy was always about Luke Skywalker - an insignificant farmboy who went on an awesome adventure and ended up saving the galaxy. Anakin Skywalker was simply a villain and a (twisted) father figure. Whether or not Lucas always had Anakin in mind as the main character and primary dramatic interest, saying that Star Wars is about Anakin comes off as post-Prequel retconning.
Last edited by Channel72 on 2010-10-25 06:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, in fairness, we all thought Vader made for better viewing than Luke as kids, no? :wink:
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

*shrugs* My habit of not having any hopes or expectations served me remarkably well during the last trilogy. I intend to continue with what works.