Will Lucas do it again?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Will Lucas do it again?

Post by Abacus »

So, we all know of and are eagerly anticipating the June 2010 arrival of the New Essential Guide to Warfare. While looking through some articles it appears that there were several references to what would be written about in the book. The latest draft apparently has:
Wookiepedia wrote:Specific references in current drafts: 13 new Ordnance/Regional Depots,[5] working out warship classification systems,[6] additional references to the Militarists, the Iotran Guard, Corellian Engineering, the bounty hunter D'harhan, the Hutts, the Mandalorians,[7] the Waymancy Storm,[8] the Judicial Forces, the Planetary Security Forces, the Republic Navy, the Grand Army of the Republic, Coruscant, Anaxes,[9] Irmenu, Rendili StarDrive,[10] an encounter between Panaka and Leia at Hosk Station in 5 ABY,[11], war propagandists Ryloth Resa and the Byblos geneticist r.[12]
Now this is awesome. The more details the better to help shape the world we all love and enjoy escaping in the minds-eye to on the occasional free weekends. MY concern however is the part about:
the Mandalorians

I was and am a huge fan of the Karen Traviss series of books. The depth of detail into the Grand Army of the Republic and into the society of the Mandalorians, their language, beliefs, etc was all incredible and I truly treasured it for what it was. I would ask that you refrain from bringing up the old "3 million clones" debate in this thread, that can be argued elsewhere.

My main point is that there was suddenly this wealth of background info on the Mandalorians, their culture, language, etc. And then Lucas raped it all with his (I'll use the word "controversial") Star Wars Clone Wars CGI TV series and in other media. So with this new book stating that it will describe the Mandalorians in some detail, my question is simple.

"Do you think Lucas will rape EU again?"
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Will Lucas do it again?

Post by Stark »

A wealth of background information that exists totally outside everything else ever established for Mandolorians, intricately tied to a character assassination of Jedi in general. I know I 'treasure' it.

I really don't think anything evil Lucas can do is going to make the EU much worse.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Bah, fuck the Mandalorians. Fucking Mary Sue Klingon knockoffs with a bullshitt'a language. I actually applaud what Lucas did with them for the CG series--i.e. making them an actual society rather than yet another 2D warrior race. Well, I guess they were alright before Traviss got her fucking hands on them.

Anyway, I heard the authors of the new Encyclopedia reconciled it by saying that other factions of Mandalorians existed alongside the peacenik ones, and that they eventually kicked them out towards the end of the Clone Wars. So it'll probably use that.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Srelex wrote:Bah, fuck the Mandalorians. Fucking Mary Sue Klingon knockoffs with a bullshitt'a language. I actually applaud what Lucas did with them for the CG series--i.e. making them an actual society rather than yet another 2D warrior race. Well, I guess they were alright before Traviss got her fucking hands on them.
The highlighted bit is always to be applauded, in any franchise.

And fuck the KT-masturbatory-fantasy-in-chief, "honorable" killer for hire, "killed more Jedi than anyone else" but defeated by a blind Han and barely trained Luke, "one of the richest men in the galaxy" who is hired personally, "I won't kill Jacen because then the Jedi would blame me" no matter who dies in the process, "I know what happened to someone better than people who knew her", "Yuuzhan Vong will need my help to deal with Jedi", "Daala and I will help promote egalitarianism", should have been eaten by the Sarlacc, Boba Fett.

The Clone Wars arc was a long-overdue welcome.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
SeaTrooper
Youngling

Post by SeaTrooper »

Srelex wrote:Bah, fuck the Mandalorians. Fucking Mary Sue Klingon knockoffs with a bullshitt'a language. I actually applaud what Lucas did with them for the CG series--i.e. making them an actual society rather than yet another 2D warrior race. Well, I guess they were alright before Traviss got her fucking hands on them.

Anyway, I heard the authors of the new Encyclopedia reconciled it by saying that other factions of Mandalorians existed alongside the peacenik ones, and that they eventually kicked them out towards the end of the Clone Wars. So it'll probably use that.
Damn, beat me to it... :P
"Know Enough To Be Afraid" - Transylvania Polygnostic

The Royal Navy has not survived for so long by setting an example for others,
but by making an example of those others...
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

My opinion on the Mandalorians is that Traviss destroy them completely and utterly, and one thing I'd like to ask her is this: "How can a few billion clones accurately recreate a society when all they can learn from is a few mercs who served as clone trainers?"

Personally, I think the Mandalorians as represented in KOTOR II were much more of a functioning society than what Traviss came up with, despite that they were less like a full culture and more like the dying remains of one.

Whatever Lucas does with them, they'll improve.
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

I would ask that you refrain from bringing up the old "3 million clones" debate in this thread, that can be argued elsewhere.
I think it's entirely fair bringing up Traviss' arithmophobia in regards to a book about the military of Star Wars; if the women can't even grasp the scale of the conflict, I don't trust her military judgement. And speaking of the army, is it true her Order of Battle was entirely infantry based? I've only gotten information from friends, but they were fairly scathing towards it.
And fuck the KT-masturbatory-fantasy-in-chief, "honorable" killer for hire, "killed more Jedi than anyone else" but defeated by a blind Han and barely trained Luke, "one of the richest men in the galaxy" who is hired personally, "I won't kill Jacen because then the Jedi would blame me" no matter who dies in the process, "I know what happened to someone better than people who knew her", "Yuuzhan Vong will need my help to deal with Jedi", "Daala and I will help promote egalitarianism", should have been eaten by the Sarlacc, Boba Fett.
You forgot 'worst father ever' despite being a part of a culture that allegedly values family and thinks the 'Sith and Jedi are the same, but the Sith pay better'. I liked the guy better when he didn't talk and
and blew himself up in Vector Prime.
"Do you think Lucas will rape EU again?"
Lucas can do whatever he wants with Star Wars, and if personally decides to veto the dumber stuff people have done with it (LotF, DNC, Black Fleet Crisis... actually, most of it), I'm not going to complain. Hell, the TV series is better then a lot of the shit people have dumped into it.

And as for ruining the Mandalorians, they don't need help. A moronic warrior race who served a insane group of evil cultists and got screwed, who are repeatedly hailed as deadly yet lose every single war they've fought in as a independent power, who decide to go on genocidal wars and get smacked down by the Jedi every single time, and who have repeated said mistakes repeatedly?

What about them is admirable, again?
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Talhe wrote:What about them is admirable, again?
They are persistent? :mrgreen:
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Talhe wrote:You forgot 'worst father ever' despite being a part of a culture that allegedly values family and thinks the 'Sith and Jedi are the same, but the Sith pay better'. I liked the guy better when he didn't talk and
and blew himself up in Vector Prime.
Oh, I could have gone on for quite a while more, starting with his ability to take off into space without inertial dampeners. And when I was done, I would have proceeded on to his father, "the extermination of the Jedi was MY plan, not Palpatine's" Jango (another KT-masturbatory-fantasy).
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Abacus wrote:"Do you think Lucas will rape EU again?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Oh man...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

God I fucking hope so. The idea that GL has to acquiesce at ALL to anything in the EU is fucking laughable, as I believe I already illustrated.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

General Soontir Fel wrote:"honorable" killer for hire
I was ok with the "honorable" Fett in things like the Han Solo Trilogy and the Bounty Hunter Wars, in the sense that his "honor" was in the fact that if he took a job, he completed it. And no matter of begging or bribery would change the fact he was hauling your sorry ass in to whoever paid him for it. That and he kept his word, sort of. And wouldn't go out of his way to screw anybody he had "partnered" with (although if they tried a double cross he was one step ahead) although you had to either keep up with him or face the consequences, as he may or may not bother to save your ass. Unless he owed you (Dengar), then he might try to keep you alive. Maybe.

Essentially, a ruthless motherfucker who's a bit of an asshole but gets the job done no matter what. That's the Boba Fett I care to know. All that crap Traviss tried to do can go to Hell.

(And yeah, I'm a Fett fanboy, so I don't mind wanking his badassery and making him like a Batman who kills :mrgreen: )
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

+1 to the whole "screw Traviss's Mandos" position. Traviss's writings were based on ignoring the rest of the shared universe anyway (SW is actually an epic three-way struggle between the Jedi, Sith, and Mandos :roll: ), so I can't shed a tear about her work being dismissed.

Anyway, I seriously doubt Lucas will have a direct hand in some EU Essential Guide. The movies are what he concerns himself with, and right now he's busy with the SW 3-D conversions, Red Tails, and some CGI musical. Any damage done to Traviss's writings has already been done, by the Clone Wars animated series. That animated series is now the face of the SW franchise for children born in this decade, and future EU books will be written to conform to it.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

Ummm.... can someone give me maybe a recap of what Traviss did that everyone hates so much? And in what books? (so I know what to avoid, I guess) Because I don't think I read most of the books your talking about, and I'm kinda confused.

My two cents, I think the coolest depiction of a mandalorian since Fett is Hondo Karr in the Legacy comics. He was just really cool, he had a cool helmet that was kind of like the usual "T" but not, and I like that he's kind of a "good guy." I'm also curious what he's going to do in later comics. (I haven't read Extremes yet, picked up the rest from the library)
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

keen320 wrote:Ummm.... can someone give me maybe a recap of what Traviss did that everyone hates so much? And in what books? (so I know what to avoid, I guess) Because I don't think I read most of the books your talking about, and I'm kinda confused.
It began when Karen Traviss and another writer, Ryan Kaufman, wrote an article for a SW magazine intended to flesh out the Grand Army of the Republic. At that point, a minimalist size of just millions of clones was already in the EU, and was already criticized because the SW galaxy consists of millions of words. Traviss and Kaufman's article repeated the stupidity by capping the clone army at "3 million." It wasn't even internally consistent because it also stated that the droid army numbered in the quadrillions, but explained it away by saying that the clones were so badass that they had a 200:1 kill ratio (do the math).

Side Note: A less stated fact is that "quadrillions" was also a step down from the "quintillions" established by Curtis Saxton (one of the few SW writers with scientific knowledge and a sense of scope) in the Episode III: Incredible Cross Sections. However, it remains, far, FAR bigger than the ridiculous "3 million" number.

The knowledgable fans on this forum criticized Traviss and Kaufman's article. It wasn't a big deal, we've criticized plenty of past EU books for their ridiculous numbers (like sector armies number just over a million). Most of us can't even name the writers of the West End Games rpg sourcebooks that we criticize. But the writers' reactions were the difference this time. Kaufman basically acted snippy about one detractor misspelling his name, then disappeared like all the other faceless, nameless EU writers out there. But Traviss got really pissed. She started flaming back at the fans here, giving us the ridiculous label of "Talifan." She insulted people by saying that they must've had Aspergers Syndrome, and said that she wanted to rip people's tracheas out. She also tried to dismiss her critics as "misogynists," which was pure crap because she wasn't the first female SW writer and no one gave a crap about her gender.

Meanwhile, some fanboys at other forums started kissing her ass to her. At the time, Traviss was very active on the forums, making herself far more available to the fans than other writers ever did. This attracted an army of sycophants. Members of the theforce.net forums started cracking down on anybody who dared to criticize Traviss, even going so far as to delete posts and close down threads. Dark Moose, the fanboy moderator at the official starwars.com forums also joined Traviss, and did similar things over there. People with paid premium accounts at starwars.com had their blogs shut down.

Traviss also boasted about her past work as a journalist (or "journo" as she would say) who covered military topics. This experience, as well as her time in the Royan Navy auxiliary, supposedly made her more of an authority when it came to creating fictional militaries. Even if she was writing about ridiculous clone supermen who can each take down 200 enemies with special forces tactics because they're so damn badass. It was just downright stupid, because this was all going on during the Iraq war when the real most badass military on the planet was stuck in a quagmire against dirt poor insurgents. Because they simply didn't bring enough occupying forces to do the job.

Some of us tried to debate Traviss directly, on her LiveJournal. I went there and she was an evasive bitch. She would basically claim that you were trolling even if you weren't, and lock you out after a few posts. Also, she would accuse you of libel if you criticized her, even if it was on something completely noncontroversial such as whether a real soldier can handle billion-to-one odds. Check my signature for one of her quotes. I also included a quote from that loser Dark Moose.

Traviss wasn't done though. Far from simply writing a bunch of stupid numbers and being done with it (like any other EU writer), she set out to alter the SW universe itself. What she should have done was just leave the stupid numbers alone and go forth without compounding her mistake. Instead, she wrote a short story entitled Odds for that same SW magazine, that supposedly explained the numbers but felt more like a big middle finger to the fans who didn't like her. Odds is NOT a real story, but rather an agenda piece. In it, we got such gems as:
  • Two clone commandos (the main characters) waltzing into the middle of a Separatist droid factory while casually chatting it up. Because the story didn't give a shit about things like plot or suspense.
  • BLIND and DEAF droids on the night shift, which can walk past these clones without even noticing them. Of course, there is apparently zero security.
  • The big Republic strategy that was supposed to counter the Separatist's ridiculous BILLION to one numerical advantage was sabotage. And not even real sabotage, as in blowing up the factories. No, these clone commandos simply did some minor reprogramming, so that the automated factory would mix the metals in proportions just a few percentages off, resulting in brittle droids that would be easier to destroy on the battlefield.
  • That's right, no permanent damage. Also, the Separatists apparently don't employ QUALITY CONTROL. No testing of products. No simple corrections in the programming after the first few droids come out crappy. This was "explained" by clone logic that if they just blew the factory up, the Separatists would build another factory somewhere else...as if resources and construction time are limitless.
  • And to cap off the stupidity...the droid army didn't actually number in the quadrillions/quintillions. No, they numbered in the millions as well. People only THOUGHT they were big because of Republic propaganda to keep the war going. Also, Mace Windu knows. So do the other Jedi. "They all know." According to Traviss the Jedi were all conspiring WITH Palpatine to defraud the Republic!!! :roll:

Yes, she actually wrote that garbage. Although the last part is technically the logical extension that was implied, because she didn't have the spine to come out and explicitly state that shit. But Traviss does hate the Jedi. She seemed to fancy herself as some kind of brave iconoclast, because as a journalist she had exposed a lot of people's bullshit or something. She claimed that the Jedi were "spoonbenders" who were too full of themselves. She basically hated the people at the very core of the SW saga.

But did I mention Boba Fett? She LOVES Boba Fett. Like some teenage fanboy/fangirl, she took Fett as her personal Mary Sue. She wrote the Mandalorians (who previously amounted to nothing in the EU) as a bunch of stupid Klingon-like super warriors with their own bullshit language. She wrote another short story, where it was claimed that SW was actually a three-way struggle between the Jedi, Sith, and Mandos.

It's so bad that in the novel Order 66, she writes sympathetically about the clones who are executing the Jedi. One of her pet characters even sacrifices herself to defend the poor Stormtroopers from the big, bad spoonbenders. :roll:

And then came the book Revelations. That was her jump the shark moment, even for the fanboys who kissed her ass before. It read like bad fanfiction, and made no attempt to hide her hate for the Jedi or her love for Boba and the Mandos. In that book, it's claimed that Fett can beat up Jedi and had in fact killed more Jedi than anyone (which never happened). It went on and on about how the Mandalorians are the best at everything. A Jedi character even trained under Boba Fett so that she could learn the skills needed to combat the Sith! :banghead:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

To add to Jim Raynor's list, three more egregious offenses:

1. Another completely agenda-driven element: a pet character watches a news broadcast and "reasons" that quintillions of droids are impossible. The reasoning is stupid, and offensive to anyone who knows anything about galaxies, planets, or industry.

2. The same pet character later gets away with terrorism, and "gets away" means "is able to continue her job in the Republic government as if nothing happened."

3. Jango Fett agreed to donate his DNA because he knew it would lead to the Jedi being exterminated.

Not to mention how all women swoon over clones. Even ones kidnapped and taken to Mandalore against their will because their "best friend" (the same pet character mentioned above) framed her for her own crimes.
Jim Raynor wrote:One of her pet characters even sacrifices herself to defend the poor Stormtroopers from the big, bad spoonbenders.
And when the clone she's in a relationship with finds out, he blames the Jedi.

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

I will agree that Traviss pretty much gave a big "F U" to the SW fan community. But, besides the fact that she is a giant [insert your favorite insult], I appreciated the fleshing out that the Mandalorians received, even if it was wanked a bit. I wanted a language for them. I wanted to see why it is that so many people feared them as warriors. I wanted to see a deeper explanation to the clone army besides it being an empty flesh bag, what the soldiers experienced, etc.

So yes, I agree with the above two posts...but I also have to say that, until anyone else gives me some more in-depth look into the Mandos, their language, culture, military prowess, etc, then Traviss is unfortunately all I have to go one. :(
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:I wanted a language for them.
What the hell for?
Abacus wrote:I wanted to see why it is that so many people feared them as warriors.
So do I, considering their only canon claim to fame was getting defeated by the Jedi in the Clone Wars. That's literally the only backstory they got in the TESB novelization.
Abacus wrote:I wanted to see a deeper explanation to the clone army besides it being an empty flesh bag, what the soldiers experienced, etc.
I agree, but she could have done that without wanking their genetic heritage.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Galvatron wrote:
Abacus wrote:I wanted a language for them.
What the hell for?
Indeed. The use of the phony languages was a way to have funny-looking aliens talk while maintaining the illusion that it's not an actor in a latex suit or a muppet. It's the plausible diversion that allows the trick to go unnoticed. Otherwise it's rather stupid to include made-up languages, and dumber still to go to the trouble of creating them -even if they don't have a sticky apostrophe key like W'ank'dal'or'ian. At least when Lucy and Ethel spoke in a gibberish alien language on I Love Lucy they were playing it for laughs:

Abacus wrote:I wanted to see why it is that so many people feared them as warriors.
So do I, considering their only canon claim to fame was getting defeated by the Jedi in the Clone Wars. That's literally the only backstory they got in the TESB novelization.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the novel say that Fett was wearing the armor of those who were defeated in the Clone Wars?

And what exactly is so special about them? Some of them are the template for better-than-average soldiers. One of them is somewhat better at tracking his targets for the Empire than this guy:

To be fair, he was probably just as good as Boba Fett, but didn't have Vader on hand to snatch Solo's pistol.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

General Soontir Fel wrote:
The highlighted bit is always to be applauded, in any franchise.

The Clone Wars arc was a long-overdue welcome.
As a side note, how the fuck can someone be an "honorable" killer for hire? Since when is stalking and rubbing out a victim for money an "honorable" act? I have an idea: How about a sci-fi race of "honorable" child pornographers or "honorable" serial rapists or "honorable" sadists who run "honorable" dogfighting rings?
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Elfdart wrote:
Indeed. The use of the phony languages was a way to have funny-looking aliens talk while maintaining the illusion that it's not an actor in a latex suit or a muppet. It's the plausible diversion that allows the trick to go unnoticed. Otherwise it's rather stupid to include made-up languages, and dumber still to go to the trouble of creating them -even if they don't have a sticky apostrophe key like W'ank'dal'or'ian. At least when Lucy and Ethel spoke in a gibberish alien language on I Love Lucy they were playing it for laughs:
Sure. Fuck Tolkien and Robert Jordan for creating fake languages to make their stories more rich in detail. How dare they? HOW DARE THEY!? [/asshat]
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

Sure. Fuck Tolkien and Robert Jordan for creating fake languages to make their stories more rich in detail. How dare they? HOW DARE THEY!? [/asshat]
Tolkien was a trained linguist, and his languages were actually usable. Heck, some people have said one of the reasons he made the trilogy was because he wanted to use his languages.

Jordan (it's been years since I read his stories) merely had a few words pop up now and then, and the 'Old Tongue' is never really detailed; for Randland, it's the equivalent of Latin. (Granted, the fact that there's only one language spoken in Randland is rather... stupid, but it's the least of the series problems).

Traviss decided to make up a rather... stupid sounding language that, according to at least one well-informed poster, doesn't work: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... e#p3152288

Honestly, the fact that she constantly pushed in her made-up, stupid sounding language into Star Wars (I only read two of her Legacy books, and they were god-awful) just makes me think of Klingons. And I hate Klingons. Seriously, there doesn't seem to have been a point to 'expanding' Mandalorian 'culture' at all, besides to let Traviss make her fictional ultra-warriors.

I'd quit while you're ahead, Abacus.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elfdart wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the novel say that Fett was wearing the armor of those who were defeated in the Clone Wars?
Yep.
Elfdart wrote:And what exactly is so special about them?
I think one can trace most Manda-lore ( :D ) back to the Marvel comics. There was an issue that took place between TESB and ROTJ that featured Fenn Shysa and gave us some glimpses of Boba Fett's backstory. So you can thank the EU for sowing the seeds of modern-day Mandalorian/Boba Fett wankery. Again.
Abacus wrote: Sure. Fuck Tolkien and Robert Jordan for creating fake languages to make their stories more rich in detail. How dare they? HOW DARE THEY!? [/asshat]
And yet, Boba Fett never uttered a word of anything but English in the films. Do you want Corellianese, too? How about Alderaanese? I'm disappointed that that they never invented a native Tatooinian dialect for Luke to swear in. :lol:
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Galvatron wrote:
Abacus wrote: Sure. Fuck Tolkien and Robert Jordan for creating fake languages to make their stories more rich in detail. How dare they? HOW DARE THEY!? [/asshat]
And yet, Boba Fett never uttered a word of anything but English in the films. Do you want Corellianese, too? How about Alderaanese? I'm disappointed that that they never invented a native Tatooinian dialect for Luke to swear in. :lol:
Don't be obtuse. Corellia and Alderaan were obviously human societies that had strong connections to the Coreworlds where Basic would have originated from. The Mandalorians, while majority of them are human, are an adopted society and culture based on a "now" dead people.

Interest in the Mandalorians did not come about until *after* the movies, so there was no purpose or drive to create a more fleshed out background.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Abacus wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Don't be obtuse. Corellia and Alderaan were obviously human societies that had strong connections to the Coreworlds where Basic would have originated from. The Mandalorians, while majority of them are human, are an adopted society and culture based on a "now" dead people.

Interest in the Mandalorians did not come about until *after* the movies, so there was no purpose or drive to create a more fleshed out background.
Isn't that cliche too by now? Humans emulating a now dead alien race. Isn't the exact same thing the legacy of the Sith too, shouldn't we have a maximum of how many people that can have that back story.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Meh. I don't know. Since we've got the annoying custom of "one culture per species" in Star Wars, and since humanity is so ubiquitous, at least we get some freaking diversity by having some human societies be descendant cultures of an alien one.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov