SGU 2x2 Aftermath

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

dragon
Sith Marauder

SGU 2x2 Aftermath

Post by dragon »

What no post yet jeesh people are slow.

Can't belive Col Young mercey killed his own men. Previews for next week looks very promosing.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Re: SGU 2x2 Aftermath

Post by Zac Naloen »

These threads were always started by necron lord who seems absent...

Anyway, Strong ep I thought. What do you think was Rush losing it?

Not the first person to have visions...
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Is it visions or hallucinations? It look like Riley was only pinned at the legs if that was so they could have used a tourniqute or was he pinned at the waist.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

dragon wrote:What no post yet jeesh people are slow.
I considered making a thread, but wasn't sure if there was still that much interest.
dragon wrote:It look like Riley was only pinned at the legs if that was so they could have used a tourniqute or was he pinned at the waist.
I don't recall; but they only have bare bones medical facilities and TJ is only a medic. Even using the stones she probably figured they'd just be sentencing him to an agonizingly slow but certain death.

Also, I kinda missed something, but didn't they send at least some members of the LA thru the gate to the planet?
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Yeah they did at the very end.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Look like he was pinned at the waist to me, and if it's true that was the only thing keeping him from bleeding out I question whether they could have actually got him back to the gate in time anyway.

I guess we'll be seeing some attempts repair the spare shuttle in time, or they are just going to have to make do without for now as that one was completely toast.

Supplies are constant uphill struggle for these guys aren't they?
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Zac Naloen wrote:Look like he was pinned at the waist to me, and if it's true that was the only thing keeping him from bleeding out I question whether they could have actually got him back to the gate in time anyway.

I guess we'll be seeing some attempts repair the spare shuttle in time, or they are just going to have to make do without for now as that one was completely toast.

Supplies are constant uphill struggle for these guys aren't they?
Well from the "Next Week Teaser" Spoiler
It looks like they're going find a "Destiny"-class object or craft of some sort and I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to get spares, supplies, etc. Heck, Destiny could have a shuttle bay somewhere that they just haven't found yet- IIRC Atlantis had a full complement of Puddle Jumpers so extra shuttles aren't impossible
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

upon watching this episode I can't help but think that that is NOT how you mercy kill someone!

Wouldn't it have been faster for Young to draw his sidearm and shoot the poor bastard in the head?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Darksider wrote:upon watching this episode I can't help but think that that is NOT how you mercy kill someone!

Wouldn't it have been faster for Young to draw his sidearm and shoot the poor bastard in the head?
It's pretty clear from the scene that they are deliberately avoiding using the gun because then it would seem like Young just killed him so he didn't have to help or wait with him. The guy even says as much: "I'd ask for your gun but then they'd think you did it."

The choking would obviously show up from an autopsy or something but that's pretty unlikely to happen, the others just think he died from his wounds.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I think the killing the way he did it was more personal, also. Its easy to shoot a man in the head, but to smother him to death takes time and care. Its not a callous act.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Zac Naloen wrote:These threads were always started by necron lord who seems absent...

I was chuckling when Rush sneered at the mention of Young and said "The man's mentally unstable"
Yeah you're talking to the hallucination of an emergent personality jackass...
Darksider wrote:upon watching this episode I can't help but think that that is NOT how you mercy kill someone!

Riley didn't want everyone to blame Young, they already had that episode.

I am pretty sure TJ knew from the way she clenched her jaw, and she would have known she had a stable patient when she left and that something happened.

Camille also saw him start to choke the LA guy too, Telford and she are already making alliances.

One Thousand Bonus Points For Not Bothering To Shoehorn Chloe Into An Episode In Which She was unnecessary!

Fuck you Grear for being the one to find the Stargate and really drawing it out so everyone knew it. Though that was pretty hilarious.

Scott's uncertainty about blowing the rocks away from the stargate was awesome, and I like that Eli was portrayed as rattled and mostly useless.

There is a clue in the lucian Alliance's beliefs about Destiny but I'm not sure what it is.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Themightytom wrote:
Zac Naloen wrote:These threads were always started by necron lord who seems absent...

I was chuckling when Rush sneered at the mention of Young and said "The man's mentally unstable"
Yeah you're talking to the hallucination of an emergent personality jackass...

Riley didn't want everyone to blame Young, they already had that episode.

I am pretty sure TJ knew from the way she clenched her jaw, and she would have known she had a stable patient when she left and that something happened.

Camille also saw him start to choke the LA guy too, Telford and she are already making alliances.

One Thousand Bonus Points For Not Bothering To Shoehorn Chloe Into An Episode In Which She was unnecessary!

Fuck you Grear for being the one to find the Stargate and really drawing it out so everyone knew it. Though that was pretty hilarious.

Scott's uncertainty about blowing the rocks away from the stargate was awesome, and I like that Eli was portrayed as rattled and mostly useless.

There is a clue in the lucian Alliance's beliefs about Destiny but I'm not sure what it is.

Mentally unstable people have a hard time realising that they are the ones that are the ones that are unstable they tend to say everyone else is.

But yeah the debate over the C4 near the stargate was nice touch. Especially since we know what happened when Col O'Neill placed the C4 on the stargate onboard that go'auld pyramid.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Great episode, far better than the season opener. Weirdly enough I rather liked how understated Rush' discovery of the control room was: he just walks up, punches in a code (that came to him in a dream?) and behold! The bridge pops out. I half expected the guys on the shuttle to see it, but I suppose they flew off in the wrong direction to notice anything had changed.

There are moments though I think that Young is sort of a Janeway-as-portrayed-by-Chuck: you never know who he's going to kill this episode! He sure had his reasons, but still... He left Rush on that planet, he vacuumed Telford, he cracked a guy's skull on the floor, and now he's suffocated one of his own crew. I'm with Rush when he says the man is mentally unstable and quite possibly unfit for command. 'Course Rush is a monumental ass himself, but he's still my favourite character on the show so far.

I do kind of hate the show for the "We're coming up on an object!" "GASP!" "WHAT COULD IT BE!?" [CREDITS] bit at the end.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Siege wrote:Great episode, far better than the season opener. Weirdly enough I rather liked how understated Rush' discovery of the control room was: he just walks up, punches in a code (that came to him in a dream?) and behold! The bridge pops out.
I got the impression that he found the bridge quite a while ago - I think either he or one of his hallucinations/ship-induced-visions/Ancients said something along the lines of him having been working through the controls to figure out what they did for some time.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Siege wrote:Great episode, far better than the season opener. Weirdly enough I rather liked how understated Rush' discovery of the control room was: he just walks up, punches in a code (that came to him in a dream?) and behold! The bridge pops out.
I got the impression that he found the bridge quite a while ago - I think either he or one of his hallucinations/ship-induced-visions/Ancients said something along the lines of him having been working through the controls to figure out what they did for some time.
Well he was running a search program that apparently the other scientists misread as an error, and have been resetting. That program could have been a schematic to get to the bridge, it could have been a code to punch into the elevator that goes everywhere, or it could have been a door opening command, but I really don't think he'd ever been in that room before, what with the lights coming on, the stroking of the command chairs armrest and the
COMPLETE INDIFFERENCE TO IT WHEN THE LUCIAN ALLIANCE TOOK OVER?

After transferring command codes he would have said "Excuse me everybody I have to... take a dump...
::cue sprinting down a hallway to activate the bridge and restore command functions::

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

He might have stumbled upon something when they busy trying to deal with the LA, but didn't have the time and/or freedom of movement to fully check it out. Or maybe something Ely did when he accessed that remote console raised a red flag somewhere on Rush's console.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

From the expression on his face, the almost pensive nature with which he entered the code and then the way the air breezed out of the room when he opened the door, I think that was his first time in the bridge.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Themightytom wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Well he was running a search program that apparently the other scientists misread as an error, and have been resetting. That program could have been a schematic to get to the bridge, it could have been a code to punch into the elevator that goes everywhere, or it could have been a door opening command, but I really don't think he'd ever been in that room before, what with the lights coming on, the stroking of the command chairs armrest and the
COMPLETE INDIFFERENCE TO IT WHEN THE LUCIAN ALLIANCE TOOK OVER?

After transferring command codes he would have said "Excuse me everybody I have to... take a dump...
::cue sprinting down a hallway to activate the bridge and restore command functions::
Surely it was the code to the master key of the ships systems? He found the key in Human, he just needed to crunch the numbers which is what his code was doing. It also happened to be crashing the control consoles at the same time.. or looking like it had.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Ah, so that was what the crash Dr. Park was looking into was all about. I hadn't made that connection yet. Yes, it makes sense that some program of his spat out an answer, as Rush made a beeline for the command deck right after that -- presumably they couldn't get that big safety door open without the code, so even if they had run across it they wouldn't have known what was behind it.

It'll be interesting to see how long Rush can keep that a secret from everybody else. He can't just keep disappearing on the rest of the crew without eventually raising suspicion. Well, more suspicion than usual, I suppose...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

In the SyFy promo video on gateworld for next week...
Spoiler
There's a shot that looks like a row of stargates, the first of which is in pieces, where Rush's voiceover says "this ship has sizeable energy reserves." Guess the idea that we'd find a stargate seeding ship in season two and resupply off it was right.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

NecronLord wrote:In the SyFy promo video on gateworld for next week...
Spoiler
There's a shot that looks like a row of stargates, the first of which is in pieces, where Rush's voiceover says "this ship has sizeable energy reserves." Guess the idea that we'd find a stargate seeding ship in season two and resupply off it was right.
Spoiler
Or they simply get more full control of Destiny's systems and access to the majority of the interior, at which point they find the gate-seeding mechanism.
Could go either way really. I don't trust voiceovers one bit.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well, it's not the voiceover I'm commenting on, I'm talking about the visual.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

They lost one of their two shuttles. I wonder this will effect future small craft operations.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sarevok wrote:They lost one of their two shuttles.
They'd already lost one on the obelisk planet , so they're down to stargate travel only.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I liked Way's subtle reference to the Goa'uld at the start; a nice callback for the longtime fans. Same with Eli's concerns over igniting the naquadah.

Good to see Franklin again; I'm glad they're not dropping that.

RIP Riley, though... :cry:

A stronger second episode than the premiere.

4/5