Force Unleashed II (Spoilers Possible)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Force Unleashed II (Spoilers Possible)

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So I saw the comic version of TFU II available at my local comic shop today, I flipped through the pages real quick. Talk about Vader hating.

It seemed to me like Vader gets beaten AGAIN by Wanktastic Clone of Wanktastic Jedi and then is CAPTURED BY THE REBELLION? Also there is a healthy dose of Boba Fett.

I went on record as being cautiously optimistic about Force Unleashed I and that was an abortion for multiple reasons, thank goodness I only read the book and didn't shell out for the game or any other related merch. I am convinced Gary Stu Marek is the lovechild of Boba Fett and Quinlan Vos at this point.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: Force Unleashed II (Spoilers Possible)

Post by Burak Gazan »

OK
So, TFU II , brought to you by Rebel Alliance Holovision (propaganda division) then eh? :mrgreen:

DARTH fraking VADER captured by the rebels? I gotta get me some of those drugs :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It sounds extremely stupid to me. I actually read on TFN that's how the game ends - on a cliff-hanger. Which is hilarious, given that TFU3 was cancelled.

(in particular, I read that the Rebels plan to take Vader to Dantooine. Unless the writers are fucking retarted - and given they think this was a good plot idea - that's likely - clearly, Vader never reaches Dantooine, else he would've seen through Leia's lie in ANH)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Did anyone ever reconcile the fact that Bail Organa was outed as a member of the Rebel Alliance in TFU even though this was clearly unknown to the Empire in ANH? Perhaps everyone who knew about it gets Force-amnesia in TFU2?
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I intend to forget about all that and just enjoy the fireworks, myself.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Yeah. It looks like the gameplay is going to be pretty fun, but i'm seriously hoping they declare this "Infinities." Especially if the game ends on a cliffhanger with Darth Vader being captured by the rebellion and no third installment.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Galvatron wrote:Did anyone ever reconcile the fact that Bail Organa was outed as a member of the Rebel Alliance in TFU even though this was clearly unknown to the Empire in ANH? Perhaps everyone who knew about it gets Force-amnesia in TFU2?
I think the idea is that Vader and Palpatine kept it secret because they didn't want anyone to know that they were dumbshits and inadvertantly founded the Rebellion they wanted their enemies all in one place!
Vympel wrote:clearly, Vader never reaches Dantooine, else he would've seen through Leia's lie in ANH
But if he was on Dantooine and was held at a Rebel Base would that not confirm the possibility? When the Empire checked out Dantooine they said the base had been abandoned, not that there hadn't been anything there.

Either way this is all just fucking bad.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

It's occurred to me in the past that Star Wars fans EU writers seem to have a much better grasp on utter trivia from the films than on important bits of in-character knowledge.

For instance, many, many people made a stink that Qui-Gon Jinn failed to "fade away" upon his death in Episode I. This is, of course, because Vader didn't know how Kenobi disappeared in ANH, so it's clearly not the "typical Jedi thing." However, in the EU EVERY dead-ass Jedi faded away before Episode I, and a few after (I may be wrong but I remember that some comic rolled an epic botch and had a Jedi Master fade away right in front of Anakin!)

Now the story to TFU has always sounded like fun bullshit that requires some real shoving and twisting, at best. But taking Vader to Dantooine? That's a classic example of what I was talking about (as is the Bail Organa thing). It's implicit in ANH that he didn't know to investigate Dantooine until Leia told him, or he'd have already done it!

The writers of this game probably consider themselves "real fans" for remembering that there was an abandoned Rebel base on Dantooine in ANH, but they managed to strip it of all context.

I'll let the absurdity of Vader being captured by the Rebellion at any time stand on its own.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Galvatron wrote:Did anyone ever reconcile the fact that Bail Organa was outed as a member of the Rebel Alliance in TFU even though this was clearly unknown to the Empire in ANH? Perhaps everyone who knew about it gets Force-amnesia in TFU2?
I don't think there is anything to reconcile. Its been demonstrated many times that the Empire knew about Alderaan's official support of the Rebellion, its just that they were not public about it and with their status as a Great Power the Empire didn't want to challenge them and perhaps evoke the wrath of the rest of the established, powerful, and wealthy core worlds. With the Death Star, the existance of which was to allow the Empire to crack any rival regardless of their wealth and power, there was no longer any need to put up with such things.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Stark wrote:Why is anyone even talking about reconciling it when its clearly outside the regular continuity?
This is probably my favorite post in PSW ever.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

But if he was on Dantooine and was held at a Rebel Base would that not confirm the possibility? When the Empire checked out Dantooine they said the base had been abandoned, not that there hadn't been anything there.

Either way this is all just fucking bad
If Vader had gone to Dantooine, then the moment he got off it the Rebels would've known it was compromised and abandoned it, and Vader would've sent forces to take it. He wouldn't sit there listening to obvious bullshit from Leia on the DS1.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Depends on if you think Vader would let Tarkin follow the bullshit in an attempt to discredit him, but I tend to agree with what you're saying.

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

several issues; Bail had a lot of friends and they still hadnt disbanded the senate. moving against bail could be risky. since revealling evidence may have also meant revealling that they failed to stop a single 20 year old guy from breaking into their most secure facility, beating the crap out of Darth vader, and blowing up a substantial part of their secret weapon's tower which no one is even supposed to know about in a kamikaze explosion. It would be a PR nightmare. two.) Zaarin captured palpatine, so why can't vader be captured; three. Starkiller was trained for sixteen years to push the force farther then most were willing to. It's also very heavily implied that palpy deliberately threw the fight. So yeah, intesne combat regimine and being forced to push the force farther then most were encouraged too may even the odds without being a total stu.
I enjoyed the first game so I'm definitely getting this one.

And also, they had to change some plot details at GL's insistence (originally the climax would involve the battle of toprawa were the rebels got the death star plans, but lucas said no. he's also the one who suggested that they make palpy the big bad.) So it's partially GL's fault.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Stark wrote:Why is anyone even talking about reconciling it when its clearly outside the regular continuity?
It is?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you serious? The idea of nerds trying to fit such a superhero game into the EU is fucking hilarious.

I guess you just figure the powers are 'game mechanics'? And the never-referenced changes-nothing events are just weaseled out of somehow? The outrageously out-of-character characterisations are just PMS?

Honestly I look forward to TFU2 being as crazy as it sounds, because anyone stupid enough to try to fit it into the movie continuity deserves the migraine it gives them.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Stark wrote:Are you serious? The idea of nerds trying to fit such a superhero game into the EU is fucking hilarious.
These are fans who even tried to get a coherent narrative out of every "steal the Death Star plans" mission we're talking about.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, there were differences between the original TFU comic and game, right?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Yan wrote:Zaarin captured palpatine, so why can't vader be captured;
Tried and failed thanks to the intervention of Marek Steele and Vader in TIE Defenders. We have no depiction if Palpatine was ever in any actual danger, given the likelihood that he could have overpowered those who had him in control but instead chose to wait it out confident in the abilities of his apprentice and his chosen circle.

Secondly, in a world where Jedi are supposed to be so scarce that in a generation they've gone from icons to near mythical beings, the Rebel Alliance suddenly has a Jedi Master and the clone of a powerful Force User working for them? Vader being captured neuters his character, who is responsible for numerous Jedi deaths and was actually depicted in a recent SW Adventures book as destroying a rebel base almost single handedly, he's suddenly captured and has lost to some iteration of Gary Stu in consecutive games?
Starkiller was trained for sixteen years to push the force farther then most were willing to. It's also very heavily implied that palpy deliberately threw the fight. So yeah, intesne combat regimine and being forced to push the force farther then most were encouraged too may even the odds without being a total stu.
Note the part I highlighted, I wonder if you were able to type that with a straight face.

And also, they had to change some plot details at GL's insistence (originally the climax would involve the battle of toprawa were the rebels got the death star plans, but lucas said no. he's also the one who suggested that they make palpy the big bad.) So it's partially GL's fault.[/quote]

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

the original drafts had starkiller fighting vader AND LOOSING beleive it or not.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

That's a dumb ending for a game, what was he loosing his belt or his fuckin' shoelaces?

:p

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

hand to hand combat, and he dies.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

WHOOSH! :D

I'm with Starkers on this one. FattyNerdsTM trying to jam this nonsense into the EU, which is ridiculous in it's own right the way it shits all over the movies, is probably going to be as entertaining as playing the game.

Which isn't very.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I for one enjoyed TFU. It was a fun way to break shit in a SW setting. I just assumed that it was wasn't part of the almighty canon, therefore all of the wackiness doesn't count.

It's the same way I used to play Battlefield 1942, even though I know there were more than seven guys at Omaha Beach and that tanks don't respawn like that. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I never understood the hyper-inclusionist viewpoint. It's not like the game clashing with established canon makes it any less fun to play. Hell, now that the CW cartoon series is out an shitting on a lot of the previous CW EU, they're doing backflips to fit all that in together too.

But my absolute favorite has got to be the attempt to rationalize Operation Skyhook, where the Death Star plans were apparently stolen by fifty different people at once. Personally I like to either ignore most other EU besides Dark Forces, or just assume that Kyle got the plans, and everyone else got something else like shipping details and industrial output reports to give the Alliance some idea of how close the DS was to completion, but Wookiepedia actually tries to claim that each separate character stole a different part of the battle station plans or something, as if the Empire kept the plans split up in fifty different locations or something.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks