SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Post by Siege »

I'm liking Dr. Susie's Magical Journey of Self-Discovery more and more with each installment :).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Behold the Map of the Bragulan Star Empire showing its great vastness for all to see and fear! Muhahahahaaaaa!

ALSO, man. Is it just me or is the galaxy just chock full of humans? What the hell, did the UN hire Kaminoans to mass-produce clones while they colonized space? I am sad that there are so few alienoids in the galaxies. :(
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Behold the Map of the Bragulan Star Empire showing its great vastness for all to see and fear! Muhahahahaaaaa!

ALSO, man. Is it just me or is the galaxy just chock full of humans? What the hell, did the UN hire Kaminoans to mass-produce clones while they colonized space? I am sad that there are so few alienoids in the galaxies. :(
The Galaxy, according to Imperator Byzon, Praise be him :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Bragulans will totally tell their people that the humans infested the galaxy by cloning themselves on conveyor belts, and that this makes themselves worse than Karlacks. And, like, even the human homeworld cloned itself. :P
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Use ROBOT RIVER as the Collector envoy! Or the T-X. :D
My vote is for the T-X, since I do have some plans...
Shroom Man 777 wrote:The Bragulans will totally tell their people that the humans infested the galaxy by cloning themselves on conveyor belts, and that this makes themselves worse than Karlacks. And, like, even the human homeworld cloned itself. :P
And did it wrong, winding up with a twisted mutant version of the real homeworld!

The only question is... which version is the mutant?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Bragulans will find out. By autopsy. :twisted:

:P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: ALSO, man. Is it just me or is the galaxy just chock full of humans? What the hell, did the UN hire Kaminoans to mass-produce clones while they colonized space? I am sad that there are so few alienoids in the galaxies. :(
Hey now, mine's predominately Iduran! And remember, the Diaspora in the late 23rd century flung humanity across the cosmos.
Simon_Jester wrote: Finally, scrolling down the comments page of a politically oriented video storage site, she found something that looked familiar:

“Doesn’t anybody get it? They’re everywhere, running the government, reading our minds! It all has to stop, for the sake of the children!”

But below that was, printed in bright red:

“NOTE: Poster is an adult Type Two citizen.”

Thinking about it, she’d seen that before, over the past few weeks’ browsing of the Umerian national networks. Usually on highly opinionated and fairly incoherent material. It was like the Umerians were making these people wear a sign around their neck saying: “Danger! I am an immature idiot!”
I'd like to know more about how that system works. Are, ah, irrational people required to be registered in the Technocracy?
How are they detected and forced to be registered?
Does that registration force explanatory text to be appended whenever they write something to the datasphere?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I believe Umerian citizenship works something like "Idiot until proven otherwise", and their intrusive Big Brother network monitoring ensures such nice tags are added everywhere you post ;)

Simon described the various citizenship tiers earlier.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

PeZook wrote:I believe Umerian citizenship works something like "Idiot until proven otherwise", and their intrusive Big Brother network monitoring ensures such nice tags are added everywhere you post ;)

Oh, there it is. I place lower priority on reading the Prologue and History threads, so that post slipped by me.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

My new post is also in the Prologue thread, since it's set before 3400. It's setting up one of the little storylines building us up toward the STGOD metaplot.

Did another post. Curiouser and curiouser.... :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I also confess. I let the demonstration of TK being applied to the landscape be inspired by Earthbending from A:TLA. :mrgreen:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Dave wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote: Finally, scrolling down the comments page of a politically oriented video storage site, she found something that looked familiar:
“Doesn’t anybody get it? They’re everywhere, running the government, reading our minds! It all has to stop, for the sake of the children!”
But below that was, printed in bright red:
“NOTE: Poster is an adult Type Two citizen.”

Thinking about it, she’d seen that before, over the past few weeks’ browsing of the Umerian national networks. Usually on highly opinionated and fairly incoherent material. It was like the Umerians were making these people wear a sign around their neck saying: “Danger! I am an immature idiot!”
I'd like to know more about how that system works. Are, ah, irrational people required to be registered in the Technocracy?
How are they detected and forced to be registered?
Does that registration force explanatory text to be appended whenever they write something to the datasphere?
PeZook wrote:I believe Umerian citizenship works something like "Idiot until proven otherwise", and their intrusive Big Brother network monitoring ensures such nice tags are added everywhere you post ;)

That's essentially accurate, though it's a bit more complicated than that.

Umerian babies are born with Type One citizenship, which gives identification, basic human rights, and so forth. There are also protections specific to Type One citizens, who are by definition incapable of taking care of themselves in any capacity. The only adult Type Ones are people who suffer from some incapacitating mental problem that prevents them from participating in society.

Type Two citizenship is routinely handed out to all children as they go through adolescence, with gradually increasing privileges and expanded rights as the citizen passes through the teenage years. Type Twos are capable of functioning in society in limited roles, but are not deemed fit to make all their own decisions without a keeper. The majority of Type Twos are teenagers, and in that case the keeper is their parents or (for wards of the state) the state.

You get Type Three citizenship by passing a battery of psychological tests and educational requirements designed to determine that you are, in fact, capable of functioning in society as a responsible adult, who no longer needs someone peeking over your shoulder to make sure you aren't playing with matches.

If someone passes some arbitrary age (say, twenty) without passing the Type Threes, they are classed as an "adult Type Two." For whatever reason, an adult Type Two is deemed incapable of fending for themselves as a 'real' adult, even to the relatively low standards expected of, say, 22-year-old Type Threes. Either they have some mental health problem that cannot be cracked with medication, or they are chronic failures in the state "social functioning" curriculum, or something along those lines.

Typical problems that can cause an Adult Type Two designation are a lack of social intelligence so profound that it makes it impossible for the subject to get through daily life without a keeper, severe lack of responsibility, severe innumeracy or illiteracy, and so on. Adult Type Twos are legally equivalent to emancipated minors: state employees from MiniWell check in on them on a regular basis, and they need government approval to enter into certain kinds of major contracts and the like.

Only a small minority of the Umerian population are adult Type Twos, and it is an extremely embarrassing status to be in. Adult Type Twos have specially marked ID and, as you've seen, computer log-ins. And political commentary forums in Umeria have a lot of monitoring software (generally more for opinion polling purposes than for oppression; it is very very hard to get arrested for sedition in Umeria). So they come with automatic filters that identify adult Type Twos. As Dr. Susie noted, this is basically equivalent to forcing them to wear a sign around their necks saying "Danger: I am an immature idiot!" whenver speaking about 'grown up' subjects such as domestic policy.

And if this strikes you as humiliating and probably a human rights violation, it is. In my opinion, it's a predictable outcome of the kind of society the Technocracy grew out of: a systematic society-wide effort to "force" certain individuals to grow up by making it publically known that they are officially a village idiot.

Personally, I doubt it works very well.

But basically, you become a Designated Idiot in Umeria by being the equivalent of a high school dropout in a First World country: someone who has failed to meet basic requirements for education and/or psychological soundness that all full adults in the society are expected to meet.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:“I hate it when these damn xeno bears call us Byzantinians,” muttered Beltayn, Jaunt’s adjutant.
"I hate it when those damn xenophobic human Imperials call us Shinrans," muttered RogueIce, SDNW4 player.

:P

It's just Shinra. That's how it works. Don't bother me with your rules of grammar, because we violate them with impunity! It's a matter of national security, after all.

Also of note, I do have claimed Sephiroth, at least so far as the name is concerned. Just FYI as I sense where your little sideplot is going.
~~vanished into the mists of time~~
Last edited by RogueIce on 2010-09-19 09:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Hey Oskuro, get an AIM account, seriously, we'd love to chat!

First Question: Where do little Orkz come from?
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Umerians have Type Two Adults who drink while driving punished by sending them to work in the mines!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Actually, we have Type Two Adults punished by having built-in sobriety testers in their car so they can't take over manual control of a motor vehicle while impaired in any detectable way.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

KlavoHunter wrote: First Question: Where do little Orkz come from?
Seconded. The Hierarchy needs to know if we ever have to worry about Ghazka Son of Ghazka, Ghazka the even badder, any time soon.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Man. Sidney Hank, you old dog you! Seducing the T-X! :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Darkevilme wrote:
KlavoHunter wrote: First Question: Where do little Orkz come from?
Seconded. The Hierarchy needs to know if we ever have to worry about Ghazka Son of Ghazka, Ghazka the even badder, any time soon.
Well, if they are fungoid in the same manner as 40K, then any infested planet will literally have Orks occasionally wandering out of caves, fashioning a big ol' Choppa and killing something to eat, and then wandering into town, and either using that choppa on someone, or else perhaps trying to sell some meat. Or sell his skill with that Choppa! :P
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Of course, SDNW4 society might be a bit more sophisticated about eradicating ork infestations, especially in isolated areas. The Umerians have some ideas about that that would have come into play in the post-Jaggan War period, if applicable.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Using, ah, rubiconium? :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Using, ah, rubiconium? :D
No you fool, would you unleash the terror of crystal orks upon the galaxy?
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

THE SPACE LESBIANS STRIKE AGAIN!

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. :lol:

Poor Druni though. Hey, is Danielle gonna end up meeting with Shayera and resolving her sexual frustrations?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

....you just had to pick that one, didn't you?

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, that woman with a whip is probably an Ebon Blade lady about to get her faced punched in by that manly man. :)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!