First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Post by JME2 »

Beware his power...

Uh....I like the mask, but I'm not sold on the rest of the costume based on this one pic.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Post by LadyTevar »

I have to agree, JME... dig the mask, but need to see more of the suit before final judgement. I do like the look of the Ring, however.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

LadyTevar wrote:I have to agree, JME... dig the mask, but need to see more of the suit before final judgement. I do like the look of the Ring, however.
It's Kyle Rayner 's ring, so it'll be fun to see the die-hard Hal fans go nuts as he has a different style ring.

And yeah, I remember thinking the same of Bale's original Batsuit; seeing it in the film changed my mind, so we'll see.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The mask and costume look like crap to me... I hope that is just some shitty art.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

As long as it doesn't have rubber nipples...
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Patrick Degan wrote:As long as it doesn't have rubber nipples...
Don't even joke about it. That would be enough to make me avoid ever seeing a Martin Campbell film again, and he's one of my favorite directors.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I'll wait for actual production images.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm actually more concerned about how Mark Strong and Temuera Morrison are going to look as Sinestro and Abin Sur respectively.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Cleaner look

No gloves, but better definition then the glowy green line ribbed condom they first showed.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"Glowy green ribbed condom" is a great description for the one on the magazine cover, GR :)

But yes, the production still is much cleaner and looking much better. The torso plating stops just before it turns into a codpeice, which also looks good. The bracers are still looking really plastic tho :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I share objections on the first pick, but the second is awesome. :D
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Yeah, the second image is much much better. Though I gotta admit I have no idea what that glue-on mask could possibly be there for. I know, in the comics the Green Lantern Corps all have those little mask things but it can't be enough to protect his identity, it doesn't look like it would provide any protection from the elements (unless it uses magical invisible force fields to bring air into his exposed nostrils... heck, it looks like it doesn't even have lenses to protect his eyes. And its gotta be glued onto his face, its not secured to his ears or have a band around his head... just glue on the face.

Maybe its bulletproof and will protect him if someone tries to shoot him right between the eye... I mean dead-on exactly between the eyes. That thing not protecting his forehead at all.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Cej4096
Youngling

Post by Cej4096 »

Ghost Rider wrote:Cleaner look

No gloves, but better definition then the glowy green line ribbed condom they first showed.
Unfortunately, that's not actually from the movie. It's a fan created image that's been around for about a year. Too bad, because I would say it looks better than the real thing.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well shit. I was just going to say that it looks fucking good. :(
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Damn. I liked the second one much better too. The first one looks...not so good. But then, we all know what I thought of the Nolan batsuits before I saw the movies :wink:
Rossum wrote:Yeah, the second image is much much better. Though I gotta admit I have no idea what that glue-on mask could possibly be there for. I know, in the comics the Green Lantern Corps all have those little mask things but it can't be enough to protect his identity, it doesn't look like it would provide any protection from the elements (unless it uses magical invisible force fields to bring air into his exposed nostrils... heck, it looks like it doesn't even have lenses to protect his eyes. And its gotta be glued onto his face, its not secured to his ears or have a band around his head... just glue on the face.
Yeah. I mean a guy with a ring that can make him fly FTL, ignore large-scale explosions and shatter small celestial bodies is totally going to have trouble making that mask stay on his face when chances are the entire costume is GENERATED by the ring :D
Maybe its bulletproof and will protect him if someone tries to shoot him right between the eye... I mean dead-on exactly between the eyes. That thing not protecting his forehead at all.
Or maybe it's just for looks? Like, I dunno, 90% of superhero outfits? :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:Yeah. I mean a guy with a ring that can make him fly FTL, ignore large-scale explosions and shatter small celestial bodies is totally going to have trouble making that mask stay on his face when chances are the entire costume is GENERATED by the ring :D
The entire costume is generated by the ring in the current take.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thanks. I knew Kyle's ring (at least initially) worked that way and I know that's how they handled it in the DCAU but I wasn't 100% sure about current comics.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

No problem.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

*shrugs* Okay, I guess I've just never been a fan of the Green Lantern Corps or the idea that they rely on their rings exclusively to survive in space when their rings get owned by the color yellow or unhappy thoughts. Though I guess now its a type of yellow energy they have to be careful of. Still, you'd think they would invest in a few space ships or something... interstellar journey via Green Lantern ring reminds me too much of Peter Pan.

Peter Pan: Alright Wendy, we're off to Neverland! Second star to the right and straight on till morning! We're already halfway there and remember... if you loose your happy thought midway, you die!

Wendy: WHAT?!
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

And the rings 'get owned' by the colour yellow-how, exactly? They can't DIRECTLY affect anything yellow, that's all. I'm sure your yellow suit will be a great comfort to you when the Green Lantern on scene hits you over the head with Ganymede a couple dozen times.
And what's with that unhappy thoughts bullshit? The rings protect the Lantern EVEN WHEN THE LANTERN IS UNCONSCIOUS.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Rossum wrote:*shrugs* Okay, I guess I've just never been a fan of the Green Lantern Corps or the idea that they rely on their rings exclusively to survive in space when their rings get owned by the color yellow or unhappy thoughts. Though I guess now its a type of yellow energy they have to be careful of. Still, you'd think they would invest in a few space ships or something... interstellar journey via Green Lantern ring reminds me too much of Peter Pan.Wendy: WHAT?!
I'm curious how they'll be handling the issue of the yellow impurity as we know...Spoiler
...Parallax will be a main antagonist alongside Hector Hammond.
They're also going to have to explain why Abin was flying the ship. Morrison stated that if they get to the sequels, Abin's backstory will be explored, so we may see some version of the Ysmault Prophecies.

We've also got a few more pics of Hal receiving the ring and Hal with Carol. Not too bad; still want better shots of the costume.
Last edited by JME2 on 2010-07-15 09:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Okay, I just find the Green Lantern Ring concept too odd to take seriously. Actually, scratch that... I liked the Green Lantern character in the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series (It was John Stewart... yeah, I liked him in the animated series) he used his powers pretty reliably and didn't wear a domino mask.

But every time time I've read a comic with the Green Lantern Corps in them then they just bug me to no end. Then I made the mistake of reading "All Star Batman and Robin" and it pretty much made me lose all respect for all Green Lanterns who aren't John Stewart, and all Batmans who aren't in the animated series. Make that Batman the Animated Series, Justice League, or Batman Brave and the Bold... the Brave and the Bold version is a bit campy but he has his own charm and a batmobile that turns into a mech. It was a huge relieve to see a version of Batman who isn't all angsty. Umm... no offense.

But anyway, I'll leave this thread alone and if anyone wants to argue with me about superheroes then we can do it via PMs or make another thread for it.

Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Personally, I can't get over the fact that he looks like Will Ferrell in that photo.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Rossum wrote:Okay, I just find the Green Lantern Ring concept too odd to take seriously. Actually, scratch that... I liked the Green Lantern character in the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series (It was John Stewart... yeah, I liked him in the animated series) he used his powers pretty reliably and didn't wear a domino mask.

But every time time I've read a comic with the Green Lantern Corps in them then they just bug me to no end. Then I made the mistake of reading "All Star Batman and Robin" and it pretty much made me lose all respect for all Green Lanterns who aren't John Stewart, and all Batmans who aren't in the animated series. Make that Batman the Animated Series, Justice League, or Batman Brave and the Bold... the Brave and the Bold version is a bit campy but he has his own charm and a batmobile that turns into a mech. It was a huge relieve to see a version of Batman who isn't all angsty. Umm... no offense.

But anyway, I'll leave this thread alone and if anyone wants to argue with me about superheroes then we can do it via PMs or make another thread for it.
Your mistake was in thinking that Frank Miller is still a decent author.
I quite like the idea of the Green Lanterns, but the execution sometimes leaves something to be desired. They're a self-appointed, interstellar police force, with all that entails.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Molyneux wrote:I quite like the idea of the Green Lanterns, but the execution sometimes leaves something to be desired. They're a self-appointed, interstellar police force, with all that entails.
Yeah. Batman will may be my favorite character, but the concept of the Rings is possibly DC's most interesting concept. Its impact, as you pointed out, depends on its execution and I think we're all in agreement how strong the franchise has been for the last few years thanks to Messrs Johns, Gibbons, Tomasi, and company.

On a side note, more pics have been posted, giving us out first looks at Hector Hammond, Amanda Waller, and Abin Sur -- or at least his corpse.