SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Post by DarthShady »

Siege wrote: If by 'handle' you mean 'bury them in bodies', then you sure do know how to handle them .
Simon_Jester wrote:Well, Siege said it first, but I like my version better:

And... by "handle" you mean "keep attacking them in gigantic waves until the vaporized flesh of your bioforms condenses over their armor into a massive cocoon of carbon frost, rendering them immobile," right?
Exactly! And once they are immobilized/buried, then...we send in some real nasty shit, to do some unspeakably horrible things to them. :P

Cue Fin launching another crusade in 3...2...1! :D
Siege wrote:That's what you get for growing too big an ego :lol: .
Heh! I guess he'll have to grow it back now. :lol:
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Dark Hellion wrote:
Steve wrote:BTW, Hellion, did the Emissaries just make a public broadcast backing Pendleton or wanting passage there?
They are requesting safe passage for an ambassadorial unit to observe the proceedings. They haven't backed the Pendletons yet, but are simply informing people that they look favorably upon the continuance of Pendleton existence for the reasons given. When the ambassador arrives and sees the real picture it'll probably see what you have observed about Pendleton's size and ability and start some other "fun" diplomatic argumentation.
Wow. That's going to make them... unpopular.

They'll be the diplomatic equivalent of the creepy kid with the limp handshake wandering around saying things that don't make sense.
Well, by fun diplomacy I mean that the ambassador will probably suggest summary annihilation of the Pendleton's with mass orbital bombardment followed by fast terraforming and recolonization.

Remember that while most biological species view terraforming as a sort of cosmetic surgery we view it as an emergency heart transplant. You rip the old atmosphere you don't like off and shove a new one on. If every native species of the planet has to die... oh yah, we don't actually like biological life. You are weak, stupid and disorganized meatbags. You're just very useful and necessary weak, stupid, disorganized meatbags. :twisted:
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Great now we have TWO homicidal robot civilizations who despise biologicals. I'm going to have to get my S'jet programmers to come up with the mother of all viruses as a form of deterrent. :twisted:

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I may not like you but I still want to be your friend. Emotions are worthless next to the greatness that is our purpose. You can't help it that you are simple-minded and fragile. I won't hold it against you. 8)
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Darkevilme wrote:Just as something to consider, my own thought up guidelines for time taken to cross a sector under specific circumstances.
basic:
Military hyper drive, 1 day.

Civilian hyper drive, 2 days.

modifiers:
on a hyperlane, half the time.
In schoals, double the time (impassable without maps)
That's not how it works. I laid out the general time differences in the Interstellar Travel page.

With a lane, a distance that would take a week to traverse can be done in a couple of days.

Shoals, OTOH, massively multiply the time needed to cross an area; the space you'd cover in half a day of normal hyper-travel, not even lane travel, would take at least a week in shoals, more if the shoals are of particular strength (and some shoals are outright impassable, such as the "Barrier" in the Badlands along the Umerian frontier).
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

DarthShady wrote:Luckily for me, I have been fighting the Emperors Finest for centuries. We know how to...handle them. :twisted:
You mean bury them beneath chunks of Karlack meat, or bury them after they leave chunks of Karlack meat? :wink:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Steve wrote:Shoals, OTOH, massively multiply the time needed to cross an area; the space you'd cover in half a day of normal hyper-travel, not even lane travel, would take at least a week in shoals, more if the shoals are of particular strength (and some shoals are outright impassable, such as the "Barrier" in the Badlands along the Umerian frontier).
Weeell... nearly impassable. You can push a ship through it in hyperspace, but there is a very nontrivial chance that the drive just plain blows out on you (say, 0.1% ?). You have to be either very brave, very desperate, or very stupid to take a hypership through the Great Barrier at any real speed, except where lanes cross it.

Naturally, ork warlords have historically thrived in this region, since they are perfectly capable of being all three... :wink:
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man...Sidney Leon Hank IV is going to be really pissed off with President Sinclair :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

And now I have Sir William Tarkington ready to just BDZ Pendleton from orbit. :mrgreen: That's what happens when you ruin a man's welcoming party...

Or did they? :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, I can't figure out Kara's angle...is she just crazy, or what? :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hmm...you know, one would think CEID would be aware that killing Sidney Hank would be just a minor inconvenience for him, and therefore refrain from doing that before shutting down the AI.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:Hmm...you know, one would think CEID would be aware that killing Sidney Hank would be just a minor inconvenience for him, and therefore refrain from doing that before shutting down the AI.
Well, they may have done it intentionally to buy a bit of time for something else. Or possibly to get him riled up to the point where he does something that they can use to justify bringing the full machinery of the state to bear against him.
PeZook wrote:Man...Sidney Leon Hank IV is going to be really pissed off with President Sinclair :D
"YOU BLEW ME UP"
"..."
"Well, OK, for certain values of "me."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

PeZook wrote:Man, I can't figure out Kara's angle...is she just crazy, or what? :D
No she just wants some lesbian bondage sex, plus since Katherine is an ESPer I suspect she's also going to try and turn her into another "Lady" of the Ebon Blade. It's generally what the Ebon Blade tries to do to women with the talent. Plus Katherine is already a heartless bitch, with lesbian and quite possible S&M inclinations if I'm reading into what Sara said earlier properly, so it should be fairly easy for Kara to carry out.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Actually, Kara has far more in mind, and her motives may surprise you. :)

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

OMG THEY'RE ACTUALLY SISTERS AND HER FATHER SOLD HER TO THE EBON BLADE!!!

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

PeZook wrote:OMG THEY'RE ACTUALLY SISTERS AND HER FATHER SOLD HER TO THE EBON BLADE!!!
Gah, what do I look like? A soap opera writer?

No, not that. :P

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Steve wrote: Gah, what do I look like? A soap opera writer?
*look at the romantic story about two space lesbians falling in love with each other*

Yes :D
Steve wrote: No, not that. :P
Oh...they're cousins, then? :D

I better stop guessing, the imagery is becoming disturbing...

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

PeZook wrote:
*look at the romantic story about two space lesbians falling in love with each other*

Oh come on. If this were a soap opera, Rana and Sara would be falling in love in slow motion with artifical barriers thrown up, including identical twins, unhappy marriages, or creepy and demented suitors of some sort.

They're not blood relatives at all, okay? :P

Anyway, new post, decided to briefly go back to the capital.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:
PeZook wrote:

Oh come on. If this were a soap opera, Rana and Sara would be falling in love in slow motion with artifical barriers thrown up, including identical twins, unhappy marriages, or creepy and demented suitors of some sort.
Tarkington is secretly in love with Sara! And Rana is really Kara's long lost sister! Also, Shayera Hol just contracted a terminal disease. For some reason.

And the biggest shocker of all: Prime Minister Garret is everybody's father. And brother! :shock:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Penton, I changed his surname you fruit loop. :P

Other than that, my reaction can be summed up with :mrgreen: .

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:Penton, I changed his surname you fruit loop. :P
So you did. Why you gotta be all tricksy on me, eh? Siege was kind enough to stick with Sidney Hank (# 1 billion or so, or maybe he will be by the end of the year...), after all.
Steve wrote:Other than that, my reaction can be summed up with :mrgreen: .
I aims to please. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Steve wrote:Penton, I changed his surname you fruit loop. :P
No, you see, that's part of the shocker. Like with Darth Vader really being Anakin Skywalker.

Ha-ha!

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Steve wrote:

So they're in-laws? :lol:
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Akhlut wrote:
Steve wrote:

So they're in-laws? :lol:
Step-sisters.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

No relation at all. :P