Rationality

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Rationality

Post by Enforcer Talen »

So, I'm reading this story called "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality." Its on fanfiction.net, and links to a site called lesswrong. Ive been wandering there most of the night, and they are really big on Bayesian Logic. I went from there to game theory, and wiki had some things on Rand Corporation's System Analysis, and my question is;

Where do I learn more? I don't even know where to begin research on these things. Statistics classes? Books on amazon? Where do these topics come up, how can I learn them, and how useful are they in day to day life?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Iosef Cross
Village Idiot

Re: Rationality

Post by Iosef Cross »

Enforcer Talen wrote:So, I'm reading this story called "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality." Its on fanfiction.net, and links to a site called lesswrong. Ive been wandering there most of the night, and they are really big on Bayesian Logic. I went from there to game theory, and wiki had some things on Rand Corporation's System Analysis, and my question is;

Where do I learn more? I don't even know where to begin research on these things. Statistics classes? Books on amazon? Where do these topics come up, how can I learn them, and how useful are they in day to day life?
You mean about rational choice theory with probabilistic uncertainty?

That's pretty much inside game theory. You can buy this excellent textbook: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Theory-Analy ... 855&sr=1-1.
lazerus
The Fuzzy Doom

Post by lazerus »

Awesome fanfiction. IT's writer is the guy behind the "AI in a Box" experiment.
3D Printed Custom Miniatures! Check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pro ... miniatures
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

LessWrong does have quite a lot of explanations of their view of Rationality, how it works, it's problems, etc.

Many of them can be found here. Haven't read all of it myself (there is a lot of difficult stuff in there).

Obviously it is pretty one-sided, but they do try to support whatever they say.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

He's also written some original fiction that you may like. It's a little depressing though...