SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Just a note, Constantinople Shipping refers to the Shipping company that runs a good portion of the merchant marine, and commercial marine fleet. Constantinople Shipyards refers to the Shipyard company. But I guess given how close the relationship between the two companies are (they are partly owned by the government), she would turn up for the ceremony.

A relic of the old games. :P. I'm not sure if I want to create competitors, but I will need to think of new names.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

For those wondering what the resistance might want with a river barge laden with explosives, think about the pictures of a certain building I posted.....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Since Thanas is determined to keep the game going and some of you are cooperating, I'll let him make the day to day rulings concerning the game.

I should also note that while I'll give viewpoints and directions on Cascadian policy to those that ask, Cascadia should be considered an NPC.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I do not think the largest nation should be the mod.

However, I'll do it if all decisions regading Germany and her allies are still handled by you and suject to final approval and if there are no objections.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:I do not think the largest nation should be the mod.

However, I'll do it if all decisions regading Germany and her allies are still handled by you and suject to final approval and if there are no objections.
I don't mind being final authority and on things involving Germany or her allies.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:I should also note that while I'll give viewpoints and directions on Cascadian policy to those that ask, Cascadia should be considered an NPC.
The USA will also be doing this. As I'm out of town for an as-yet undetermined amount of time, I'm limited to an unsecured wireless connection. I'll still follow along in OOC, and if you want something involving the US you can always PM me.

There's also the matter of a bit of creative burnout. In the first game I was pretty active, and for those who played the second you'd probably note I started off pretty well but slowly tapered out. I think I just need a bit of a break from STGODs in general to recharge my batteries, as it were. I'll still update my queue and OOB (once I get home) as that isn't too difficult, and to keep semi-current. At least for awhile, depending on how long the game goes (as some know, I'd already made plans for 1928 series ships; once those are done I don't plan on doing more, though).

So you guys have fun, and maybe I'll poke back in for SDNW4, depending on whether I feel creatively recharged enough or not. Again, I'll still follow along in OOC and respond to PMs, so I'm not totally out. Though the USA is, basically, running as an NPC for day-to-day affairs, obviously.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Anyway, we are now in Q3 1928. I will however make one post in Q2 1928 tomorrow or on monday.
------------
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Thanas wrote:Anyway, we are now in Q3 1928. I will however make one post in Q2 1928 tomorrow or on monday.
I thought it was still 1927?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AGH. :banghead:

It is Q3 1927.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

One of the problems in the game is that NPCs do not have build queues. Here is how I propose to alleviate that: I'll make some up, according to the following goals:

Poland
Poland has the problem with being caught between the USSR and Germany. It has no significant oil production of its own. It's Navy is well suited for indirect warfare.
Besides the usual infrastructure and economy and industry improvement Poland will focus on a large army and airforce, both if possible strong enough to hold the USSR and Germany at bay.
It has an alliance of sorts with the Nordic Union.

Nordic Union
The Nordic Union also has no significant oil production of its own, but already a highly mechanized army. The Goal here is to produce a Navy strong enough to stand up to Germany/USSR, with an army strong enough to at least deal with landings and trying to hold on to Denmark. It has an alliance of sorts with Poland.

USSR
The USSR has to contend with being underindustrialized, war reparations to Manchuria and also having to deal with being the strongest communist power. It has a non-aggression pact with Germany. It will have to be strong enough to defend its territory against Poland and the Nordic Union simultaneously, as both nations have designs on it. The USSR is a major exporter to Germany and is vital for grain exports.

China

China has no strong rival in the region. It has a tech agreeement with Germany, and Germany has a full corps of instructors training the Chinese Army, as well as a strong naval agreeement. The goal of China will be modernization. It has a defensive alliance with Germany.

Portugal
Portugal has a defensive alliance with Spain and Germany. As a consequence, it will focus on Naval and airforce affairs.

Anybody objecting to those characterizations of those nations? The first three will focus heavily on arms production, the latter two, having secure borders less so.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have updated the Nordic Union built queue and OOB.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I went ahead and posted Cascadia's Q3 queue and OrBat. I'll write up Q4 to post this Saturday.

Cascadia's main goals are to bring the Army up to a respectable size that provides the ability to deal with problems in North America or in the Pacific, to continue research into amphibious operations craft for Pacific campaigns, and to maintain the Cascadian Navy as the premier force in the Pacific. To achieve the latter, the run of the new Seattle-class cruiser will be expanded and Cascadia is laying down the third and fourth vessels of the Excalibur-class dreadnought, the Tizona and Caladbolg, which will join the fleet in January of 1931 (additional quarters of shakedown required for a design that's nearly 10,000 tons heavier than the prior Defiant).

The commissioning of the carrier Eagle in October, coinciding with the completion of an order of new carrier-capable fighters with naval bomber capability, will permit operational testing of the "fleet carrier" concept, which could lead to further development of larger carriers.

I have also added a wiki page for the Excalibur.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alright, the NPC build queues are all up. Poland especially has received quite the power explosion to keep up with the soviets and the Reich.

Also, I am quite tired now so if you are waiting for a reply from me, my apologies. I will get to it tomorrow.

Regards,
Thanas
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Note:

Otto is not yet King. He is 14 years old (will be 15 in November) and will have to ask the parliaments for an exemption from the age laws to even be able to assume the throne(s).
------------
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I re-read my early Yishuv posts... I may put in a "meanwhile, back at the ranch" type catch-up post, but I don't know if I'll totally re-engage... :? I honestly don't have much time and don't want to make promises, but it is such a fun setting.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Everyone:

Due to some issues being left unresolved (the princess decision etc.), I am declaring that Q4 will not start this saturday, but next week. I am sorry, but there does not seem to be another way.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Ah, Thanas, you do so enjoy writing Sänger as a Magnificent Bastard, don't you? :wink:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:Ah, Thanas, you do so enjoy writing Sänger as a Magnificent Bastard, don't you? :wink:
If it is necessary to ensure the welfare of the German state, yes. That is the Bismarck/Holstein influence on him.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And there we go, landmark case passed. Any resemblence to the Lüth case is of course purely coincidental.... :angelic:
------------
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I haven't forgotten about the game, Thanas, but I'll respond on the weekend, just due to time considerations.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

And there you go Thanas. I think we need to try to figure out what's going on with Lady Katherine and the King of Saxony as well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Well, if the French, German and Spanish governments thought they could get a quick landgrab done without much issue, they certainly were mistaken.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Siege wrote:Well, if the French, German and Spanish governments thought they could get a quick landgrab done without much issue, they certainly were mistaken.
Nicely said. :wink:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Grand Dominion will...re-assess the legality of French and German Possessions in the IO and Southeast Asia if they continue with this course of action. The Grand Dominion is consulting with the Mexican Empire and Manchu Kingdom on an appropriate course of action.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Unfortunately I'm unable to control Tuscany due to real life time demands.

My reaction however would be to stay a defensively mobilized neutral, and definitely not support the Spanish land grab.
Tuscany would prefer an investigation to be conducted before any punitive measures are taken and asks for moderation in the responses.

EDIT: handed Tuscany over to Thanas as an NPC - treat it well, I might want it back in a few weeks :-)!

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer