SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Siege »

As it happens I am way ahead of you and do in fact have six active brigades of elite Fida'iyun under arms; each of these Hashshashin death commando brigades is worth three times their number in terms of expenditure. It's not 10-to-1 yet, but close enough for my tastes :).

(And yeah, I cleared it with the mods and everything. What can I say, I like my Herbert too!)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

If we're removing infantry weapon research, does anyone mind if I convert all my prior investment in it to Army Tech, seeing as I've wasted nearly a hundred IBPs on what now seems like something with a complete and utter lack of return, all thanks to a damn rules change? The total combined would be up at 217.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

You were at Army Tech 3? If you invested in army techs, then you may consider yourself at 4 on 1 January 1927.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Thanas wrote:By which time I expect you to field the Fedaykin....

I shall soon construct the Sardaukar division - and this time, we will not neglect the training. :lol:
You gentlemen can keep your Herbert, and I'll see if I can't seing a few brigades of Space Marines. This will, of course, require at least Army Tech 17, but it's a goal. :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Army Tech Two, been working up to AT3 since the beginning, but thanks. AT3'll let me free up some budget for more immediate wartime stuff.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Then you'll be at 3 on 1 January 1927 and if you invest 200 IBPs over the following eight quarters you can be to AT4 on 1 January 1929.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Pfft. I shall raise an army of Adeptus Astartes. Ultramarines maybe? :lol:
Master_Baerne wrote:
Thanas wrote:By which time I expect you to field the Fedaykin....

I shall soon construct the Sardaukar division - and this time, we will not neglect the training. :lol:
You gentlemen can keep your Herbert, and I'll see if I can't seing a few brigades of Space Marines. This will, of course, require at least Army Tech 17, but it's a goal. :D
As the Basilleus of the Imperium Romanum, I find your claim pretensious and unRoman. Away with you, barbaros!
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Fin, your build queue...you invested a total of 80 points per year for 20 IBPs...as did I, however to gain 20 IBPs one apparently needs 80 IBPs per quarter. So this means you and I both only get a +5 bonus.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:^Fin, your build queue...you invested a total of 80 points per year for 20 IBPs...as did I, however to gain 20 IBPs one apparently needs 80 IBPs per quarter. So this means you and I both only get a +5 bonus.
Actually, one must sum up all the investments.

Namely:

General Improvement: 20 points
Infrastructural Improvement: 20 points
Economic Improvement: 20 points
Industrial Improvement: 20 points

So that totals up to 80 points per quarter. Noting that I am also Inf+E+Ind = 15.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh, I thought you were also improving your economy or infrastructure. Sorry.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.
Bah. If you all insist I'll lump it together.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Steve wrote:Uh, Fin, if you're already Econ and Infra 5, there's no actual reason to improve Economy and Infra.
What are you trying to do with the improvements? Just improve IBPs?

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
What are you trying to do with the improvements? Just improve IBPs?
Being realistic. Wholistically speaking, one cannot improve one portion of the economy, while forsaking the other. So improved industry implies improved infrastructure to absorb the increase in capacity. But that means more money and thus the economy must churn out more money for such investments.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

True. OTOH, consider that a year's worth of industrial investment brings back a return of only one quarter overall what one spent each quarter. Spend 80 IBPs for four quarters, get 20 IBPs overall at the end of them. Plausibly speaking, those 80 IBPs (actually 320 IBPs in overall count) would include the infrastructure and investment/economic improvements that are necessary to support the 20 new IBPs of capacity.

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The current rules concerning industrial and economic improvement are utterly asinine. I have at this point in time pumped 352 IBPs into improving my economy, only now to find out that even though I'll have reached the necessary 400 IBPs to boost my economy from 3 to 4 by year's end there's suddenly an inexplicable "three year wait time" for such a thing. This means that in order to get my measly +5% peacetime I have to wait another full game year. And the same is true for infrastructure too!

Yeah, thanks a lot for telling me that only now guys, after I just spent the better part of two years spending 200 IBPs a year on both economy and infrastructure. Thanks to that ridiculous ad-hoc decision I've just spent 50 points a quarter per upgrade where I should've been spending 17, i.e. 32 IBPs misspent each quarter. Times two, so 64 points a quarter that could've been spent on other things. That's two battle cruisers, twelve armoured brigades, or literally THOUSANDS of aircraft I could've built whilst still upgrading my infrastructure and economy at the side, and levelling them both up at exactly the same moment.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to just impose an arbitrary 3 year wait time for such improvements without even bothering to see if maybe that would throw a spanner in people's long-term planning?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

*hums the theme song for the Shroomato*
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Siege wrote:The current rules concerning industrial and economic improvement are utterly asinine. I have at this point in time pumped 352 IBPs into improving my economy, only now to find out that even though I'll have reached the necessary 400 IBPs to boost my economy from 3 to 4 by year's end there's suddenly an inexplicable "three year wait time" for such a thing. This means that in order to get my measly +5% peacetime I have to wait another full game year. And the same is true for infrastructure too!

Yeah, thanks a lot for telling me that only now guys, after I just spent the better part of two years spending 200 IBPs a year on both economy and infrastructure. Thanks to that ridiculous ad-hoc decision I've just spent 50 points a quarter per upgrade where I should've been spending 17, i.e. 32 IBPs misspent each quarter. Times two, so 64 points a quarter that could've been spent on other things. That's two battle cruisers, twelve armoured brigades, or literally THOUSANDS of aircraft I could've built whilst still upgrading my infrastructure and economy at the side, and levelling them both up at exactly the same moment.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to just impose an arbitrary 3 year wait time for such improvements without even bothering to see if maybe that would throw a spanner in people's long-term planning?
Fine. In your case and in all cases like your's, I'll let you make the boost early. But as of that boost the rules take effect, because otherwise it's a vast benefit to the players with the most IBPs to spend.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Steve wrote:
Siege wrote:The current rules concerning industrial and economic improvement are utterly asinine. I have at this point in time pumped 352 IBPs into improving my economy, only now to find out that even though I'll have reached the necessary 400 IBPs to boost my economy from 3 to 4 by year's end there's suddenly an inexplicable "three year wait time" for such a thing. This means that in order to get my measly +5% peacetime I have to wait another full game year. And the same is true for infrastructure too!

Fine. In your case and in all cases like your's, I'll let you make the boost early. But as of that boost the rules take effect, because otherwise it's a vast benefit to the players with the most IBPs to spend.
So my 20 pts/ quarter to inprove Econonomy, Infrastructure and reseach to improve Army and Air tech were points for nothing as all scores increase after three years anyway ? I must have missed a revised rules post in this 50-page thread.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

No, scores do not automatically go up after three years. However, if a player invested massive amounts of IBPs into it before we decided on A) IBP totals and B) minimum time to upgrade, I will permit them to apply their total to the required one and make the upgrade before the three year minimum once.

The formula for improving industry, economy, and infrastructure has already been added to the rules page on the wiki.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

My apologies for not writing a new storypost, my laptop keyboard got destroyed on monday by me dumping half a gallon of fruit juice on it.

I shall attempt to get a new post up this evening using a replacement.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That sounds like an interesting story. :mrgreen:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Turns out that the superstable bottle holder was not stable enough to withstand the impact of a 4kg book?
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I see. :)

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm going to go with Thanas' suggestion; everyone has three research slots period, regardless of Economy score. Enjoy.