Christian Crusade in Uganda!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Christian Crusade in Uganda!

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Against Child sacrifice by with doctors there.
Uganda has developed in leaps and bounds in recent years, but with modernisation has come a disturbing increase in human sacrifice.
The authorities set up an anti-human sacrifice task force in 2009, to try to combat the rise in the number of ritual child killings being performed by witch doctors.
Newsnight's Tim Whewell travelled to Uganda, where he met a former witch doctor now working to convert other witch doctors from their practices.
His report contains accounts that viewers may find disturbing.
Broadcast on Thursday 7 January 2010
Original BBC article and video
Battling Uganda's witch-doctors
By Tim Whewell
BBC News, Uganda
A BBC investigation into human sacrifice in Uganda has heard first-hand accounts which suggest ritual killings of children may be more common than authorities have acknowledged.

One witch-doctor led us to his secret shrine and said he had clients who regularly captured children and brought their blood and body parts to be consumed by spirits.

Meanwhile, a former witch-doctor who now campaigns to end child sacrifice confessed for the first time to having murdered about 70 people, including his own son.

The Ugandan government told us that human sacrifice is on the increase, and according to the head of the country's Anti-Human Sacrifice Taskforce the crime is directly linked to rising levels of development and prosperity, and an increasing belief that witchcraft can help people get rich quickly.

In the course of our investigation we witnessed the ritual torching of the shrine of a particularly active witch-doctor in northern Uganda by anti-sacrifice campaigners.

The witch-doctor allowed ceremonial items including conch shells and animal skins to be burned in his sacred grove after agreeing to give up sacrifice.

He told us that clients had come to him in search of wealth.

"They capture other people's children. They bring the heart and the blood directly here to take to the spirits… They bring them in small tins and they place these objects under the tree from which the voices of the spirits are coming," he said.

Asked how often clients brought blood and body parts, the witch-doctor said they came "on average three times a week - with all that the spirits demand from them."

We saw a beaker of blood and what appeared to be a large, raw liver in the shrine before it was destroyed, although it was not possible to determine whether they were human remains.

Extortion

The witch-doctor denied any direct involvement in murder or incitement to murder, saying his spirits spoke directly to his clients.

He told us he was paid 500,000 Ugandan shillings (£160 or $260) for a consultation, but that most of that money was handed over to his "boss" in a nationwide network of witch-doctors.

Head of the Anti-Human Sacrifice and Trafficking Task Force, assistant commissioner Moses Binoga of the Ugandan police, said he knew of the boss referred to - involved in one of five or six witch-doctor protection rackets operating in the country.

"The senior ones extort money from lower people because they deal in illegal things," he told us.

Mr Binoga said police had opened 26 murder cases in 2009, in which the victim appeared to have been ritually sacrificed, compared with just three cases in 2007.

"We also have about 120 children and adults reported missing whose fate we have not traced. We cannot rule out that they may be victims of human sacrifice," he said.

But child protection campaigners believe the real number is much higher, as some disappearances are not reported to police.

Activism

Former witch-doctor turned anti-sacrifice campaigner Polino Angela says he has persuaded 2,400 other witch-doctors to give up the trade since he himself repented in 1990.

“ To punish retrospectively would cause a problem... if we can persuade Ugandans to change, that is much better than going back into the past ”
James Nsaba Buturo, Uganda's Minister of Ethics and Integrity
Mr Angela told us he had first been initiated as a witch-doctor at a ceremony in neighbouring Kenya, where a boy of about 13 was sacrificed.

"The child was cut with a knife on the neck and the entire length from the neck down was ripped open, and then the open part was put on me," he said.

When he returned to Uganda he says he was told by those who had initiated him to kill his own son, aged 10.

"I deceived my wife and made sure that everyone else had gone away and I was with my child alone. Once he was placed down on the ground, I used a big knife and brought it down like a guillotine."

Asked if he was afraid he might now be prosecuted as a result of confessing to killing 70 people, he said:

"I have been to all the churches… and they know me as a warrior in the drive to end witchcraft that involves human sacrifice, so I think that alone should indemnify me and have me exonerated."

Uganda's Minister of Ethics and Integrity James Nsaba Buturo believes that "to punish retrospectively would cause a problem... if we can persuade Ugandans to change, that is much better than going back into the past."

Child protection activists in organisations such as FAPAD (Facilitation for Peace and Development) and ANPPCAN (African Network for the Prevention and Protection against Child Abuse and Neglect) have highlighted recent cases of ritual killing and called for new legislation to regulate so-called "traditional healers".

Witness testimony

In some cases against alleged witch-doctors due to come to trial later this year, police will use the testimony of children who managed to survive abduction.

One such witness is a three-year-old boy called Mukisa, who was left for dead after his penis was hacked off by an assailant.

He survived thanks to quick work by surgeons, and later told police he had been mutilated by a neighbour who is known to keep a shrine.

Mukisa's mother told us: "Every time I look at him, I ask myself how his future is going to be - a man without a penis - and how the rest of the community will look at him, with private parts that can neither be attributed to a man or a woman. Every time I recall the normal birth that I had and the way Mukisa is now, it is like the end of the world."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/p ... 441813.stm

Published: 2010/01/07 09:45:11 GMT

© BBC MMX
So,Country modernizes -> people get richer -> They want to get richer - > "Kill kids and hack of penises" - > profit?
Sometime it's the little things that make me fucking glad I live in a modern country and not a 3d world country, or a backwards culture.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: Christian Crusade in Uganda!

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I saw the thread title, and too often in Africa some warlord or other names himself the leader of 'Christ's army' or 'The legion of God' and starts burning villages. But this... hey, go Christians. Kill the witches.

BTW, its 'witchdoctor', not 'withdoctor'.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

So the current crop of evangelical missionaries messing around in Uganda are good for something after all.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Pelranius wrote:So the current crop of evangelical missionaries messing around in Uganda are good for something after all.

Only a little as you could probably go on a witchdoctor hunting crusade without Christianity. Oh yes and at the same time maybe avoid turning sodomy in to a capital crime. So yeah still not good for that much.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Not to mention that christian witchhunts have this little habit of turning into "Burn everyone who does not convert".
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

This is assuming there actually is an increase in human sacrifice by "witch doctors" and not public hysteria being brewed by the same evangelical missionaries who are now going to "fight" it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Ugh, good point. Remember the mess about Satanists?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Oh God as a child of the 80's, yes, yes I do remember that ridiculous hysteria.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

RedImperator wrote:This is assuming there actually is an increase in human sacrifice by "witch doctors" and not public hysteria being brewed by the same evangelical missionaries who are now going to "fight" it.
Even if that is the case... human sacrifice is bad. So I welcome efforts to contain it. However... um... this is the same Uganda that at the same time is set to start executing gay people, with the same evangelicals performing both roles, so color me displeased.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
MarshalPurnell
Padawan Learner

Post by MarshalPurnell »

This is the same continent where, one country over, Albinos are being hunted for their body parts used to create magical talismans. Another country over, pygmy tribespeople are killed and eaten as "forest spirits" whose flesh gives courage in battle. I have no trouble at all believing that human sacrifice is a problem in Uganda.
There is the moral of all human tales;
Tis but the same rehearsal of the past,
First Freedom, and then Glory — when that fails,
Wealth, vice, corruption, — barbarism at last.

-Lord Byron, from 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage'
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I wonder how will this work out. I have little doubt that the "reinforcement of the Witchcraft act" will have much different consequences than just getting to these witchdoctors.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

There is a witchhunt of sorts being spearheaded by evangelicals in Nigeria. Said "witches" are mostly young children, with a few toddlers, infants, and older ladies thrown in for good measure who are accused of making people sick or whatever which leads to the children being attacked, crippled, and brutally murdered. One preacher confessed to killing over 200 children.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Ahh, Africa. How did we ever miss you? No wait, we didn't. :x
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Asked if he was afraid he might now be prosecuted as a result of confessing to killing 70 people, he said:

"I have been to all the churches… and they know me as a warrior in the drive to end witchcraft that involves human sacrifice, so I think that alone should indemnify me and have me exonerated."
Nice to see the ol' Christian spirit is alive and well in Uganda.

"It don't matter what I did before, Christ forgives me!"
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Post by Vastatosaurus Rex »

RedImperator wrote:This is assuming there actually is an increase in human sacrifice by "witch doctors" and not public hysteria being brewed by the same evangelical missionaries who are now going to "fight" it.
Remember, this is Africa, aka the "Dark Continent". If you want to get attention from the mainstream media, you have to paint the natives as superstitious, homicidal savages.
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Vastatosaurus Rex wrote:
Remember, this is Africa, aka the "Dark Continent". If you want to get attention from the mainstream media, you have to paint the natives as superstitious, homicidal savages.
You make that sound as if it is not true.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: You make that sound as if it is not true.
Well, most are neither homicidal nor savages.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Vastatosaurus Rex wrote:
You make that sound as if it is not true.

To be fair, the only reason we (general we, not specific we) in first world countries aren't homicidal (because most are still superstitious, just to a lesser degree) is the presence of a strong central government. As soon as that's gone, we turn just as homicidal and savage (see 'football hooliganism').

-----------

Are these the same Christians who enslave children to make soldiers and dope them up to make said children think they are immune to bullets and to give them a vision of heaven?
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Alyrium Denryle wrote:You make that sound as if it is not true.
Don't you think it's a little convenient that the vast majority of these stories about evil witch doctors being responsible for death and rape are being told about a continent that European imperialists painted as a land infested with brutal primitives who needed to be civilized by the white man? There may well be some strange stuff going on in the more impoverished, uneducated parts of Africa, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these reports were exaggerated if not outright fabricated in order to justify Western stereotypes of the "Dark Continent".
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Vastatosaurus Rex wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:You make that sound as if it is not true.
Don't you think it's a little convenient that the vast majority of these stories about evil witch doctors being responsible for death and rape are being told about a continent that European imperialists painted as a land infested with brutal primitives who needed to be civilized by the white man? There may well be some strange stuff going on in the more impoverished, uneducated parts of Africa, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of these reports were exaggerated if not outright fabricated in order to justify Western stereotypes of the "Dark Continent".

Riiiight. So there is a massive conspiracy in place to justify stereotypes about africa. Sure. Get your head out of the tinfoil. You cant fabricate the million-person refugee camps, or the disease. It also just so happens that local governments do keep records of the human sacrifice and witch burnings there, they just cant do shit about it.

Sometimes stereotypes are a travesty. Other times they are tragically true. In this case it is the later.

open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

And it no more reflects on some kind of inferiority in Africans than the state of Europe in, say, the 900s says anything about Europeans. Parts of the world take turns being shitholes and Africa's number has been up for a while.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

open_sketchbook wrote:And it no more reflects on some kind of inferiority in Africans than the state of Europe in, say, the 900s says anything about Europeans. Parts of the world take turns being shitholes and Africa's number has been up for a while.
I suppose you're right.
---Old Arabian Proverb
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Vastatosaurus Rex wrote:
open_sketchbook wrote:And it no more reflects on some kind of inferiority in Africans than the state of Europe in, say, the 900s says anything about Europeans. Parts of the world take turns being shitholes and Africa's number has been up for a while.
I suppose you're right.
Think of it this way. It has nothing to do with the color of one's skin and everything to do with history. Africa had some damn well advanced civilizations. However the Mediterranean cultures (and subsequently the Med influenced western europeans) and the S. asian cultures got ahead of them because they had something the sub-saharan africans did not. Trade routes from india to the middle east and through the Mediterranean. Trades routes fostered the spread of ideas, language, math, science. Many of the african civilizations had access to trade with the Mediterranean and india through islamic conquest... however by 1300 certain familiar schools of islamic thought came to dominate and there goes that intellectual advancement. They fell behind the europeans and by the time said europeans started exploring outside their home territories they were able to easily dominate and conquer native cultures (in the case of the americas the small pox did not hurt). In addition to repression and slavery they brought with them math, science, engineering and medicine that was more advanced than what the native africans had at their disposal, but to say it was freely handed out to the natives they held under their iron boots would be a bit overgenerous. When the period of colonialism in africa ended, the europeans packed up and left after they redrew all the tribal borders. This led to what is essentially a set of cultures disillusioned with the west that throws the baby of modern science out with the repressive bathwater... and because of those arbitrary borders crams ethnic and religious groups that hate eachother into the same space and trying to run the same governments.

It does not make for a happy continent.

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Vastatosaurus Rex wrote:
I suppose you're right.
Think of it this way. It has nothing to do with the color of one's skin and everything to do with history. Africa had some damn well advanced civilizations. However the Mediterranean cultures (and subsequently the Med influenced western europeans) and the S. asian cultures got ahead of them because they had something the sub-saharan africans did not. Trade routes from india to the middle east and through the Mediterranean. Trades routes fostered the spread of ideas, language, math, science. Many of the african civilizations had access to trade with the Mediterranean and india through islamic conquest... however by 1300 certain familiar schools of islamic thought came to dominate and there goes that intellectual advancement. They fell behind the europeans and by the time said europeans started exploring outside their home territories they were able to easily dominate and conquer native cultures (in the case of the americas the small pox did not hurt). In addition to repression and slavery they brought with them math, science, engineering and medicine that was more advanced than what the native africans had at their disposal, but to say it was freely handed out to the natives they held under their iron boots would be a bit overgenerous. When the period of colonialism in africa ended, the europeans packed up and left after they redrew all the tribal borders. This led to what is essentially a set of cultures disillusioned with the west that throws the baby of modern science out with the repressive bathwater... and because of those arbitrary borders crams ethnic and religious groups that hate eachother into the same space and trying to run the same governments.

It does not make for a happy continent.
Plus, the Europeans nudging existing (and sometimes nonexistent) ethnic and tribal unrest into full-blown conflicts to divide and conquer the natives didn't help, nor did post-colonial Cold War Commie/Capitalist proxy wars that armed everyone and gave everyone competing ideological views in addition to traditional tribal/ethnic divides.

Plus, forcing urbanization in areas with diseases and parasites spread most often through insect bites and contaminated water didn't help Africa out at all.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

The fact that Africa became a dumping ground for surplus weaponry after the fall of the Soviet Union hasn't helped matters either.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html