Little things that get to you in terms of beleivability

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Little things that get to you in terms of beleivability

Post by adam_grif »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Orm wrote:One of the things that's tended to bug me is flexible time in visual SF. An enemy ship will come out of whatever jump system they use, and fire one volley. Then everything will stop for long enough to get the captain from sleep to dressed and on the bridge, and fighters being launched before the next set of combat actions by either ship. So, we're taking a 5 minute (at least) break in the middle of a 1 minute combat.
There's a fair amount of that in written sci-fi too. Most often I notice it when someone says something like "one minute until impact" and then a significant conversation or speech occurs that couldn't possibly take only a minute.

Talking Is A Free Action.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Orm wrote:One of the things that's tended to bug me is flexible time in visual SF. An enemy ship will come out of whatever jump system they use, and fire one volley. Then everything will stop for long enough to get the captain from sleep to dressed and on the bridge, and fighters being launched before the next set of combat actions by either ship. So, we're taking a 5 minute (at least) break in the middle of a 1 minute combat.
That's the nature of editing; you cut out the boring bits and focus on the pacing of conflict and nice shots.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think in Die Hard 4, they didn't really hack that F-35 but just told the F-35's pilot to kill John McClane.
This. They "hacked" into the communications somehow, then got on a mic and talked to the pilot. Which is slightly more believable than "hacking a fighter jet" ;) I also thought the whole "hacking" wasn't done that bad in Die Hard 4, hell, they even had to physically be at some of the places they've been hacking, which is a lot better than the "everything's connected to the internet and can be hacked from anywhere"-crap portrayed in a lot of movies.