BREAKING: SHOOTING AT FORT HOOD

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

BREAKING: SHOOTING AT FORT HOOD

Post by Dalton »

Three gunmen, one in custody, two on the loose...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/
At least seven people are dead and 12 wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood in Texas, the base's public affairs office told NBC News on Thursday.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: BREAKING: SHOOTING AT FORT HOOD

Post by Coyote »

Just saw this on MSNBC, no details. Shit, I know some pople there. :shock:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Coyote wrote:Just saw this on MSNBC, no details. Shit, I know some pople there. :shock:
I've got a cousin there at the moment, watching the news for more info.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Two simultaneous attacks, one on the base theater, the other on the Soldier Readiness Center. Word from the herd is that one terrorist is dead, two others are holed up in a building.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

There's evidence this is actual anti-US gov't terrorism and not just something impelled by bad relationships or commanders or something minor like that?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Surlethe wrote:There's evidence this is actual anti-US gov't terrorism and not just something impelled by bad relationships or commanders or something minor like that?

Two attacks at once implies it isn't just some pissed off E4.

EDIT: Which is, of course, not to say it couldn't have been a pair of losers like "Columbine", but still...
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

MSNBC just reported that the shooter they have in custody is an Army Major, further report that it was an Arabic sounding name, what ever that means.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Lonestar wrote:
Surlethe wrote:There's evidence this is actual anti-US gov't terrorism and not just something impelled by bad relationships or commanders or something minor like that?

Two attacks at once implies it isn't just some pissed off E4.

EDIT: Which is, of course, not to say it couldn't have been a pair of losers like "Columbine", but still...
Yeah, if it's two different location, it's not pissed off lower ranks, or even higher ranks if it is indeed a Major.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Turns out I don't have a cousin there. My cousin is on leave visiting our grandmother/ her mother at the moment because my grandmother just called me to ask if I had seen the news. Lovely... Ok so the shooting was crowd targeted. Second hand word I have is that someone walked into the base theater and opened up and two or more possible shooters opened up on the graduation crowd right before ceremonies started.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

guy on the TV, Army spokesman of some sort just said that the 'confirmed shooter' was shot dead. Soooo, if they have one in custody, and one dead, they only have one on the run.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Ah, here we go. From the TV so I'm paraphraseing;

One guy with two pistols shot all the people at the Soldier Readiness Center. Local security, MP's or contractors, responded and shot dead the shooter. Two more people are detained for some sort of connection. One cop (MP?) shot while engaging the shooter.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

12 dead and 31 wounded now being reported; they may also have now captured two people but that may be a misreporting of one live capture, and one corpse.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

Just got back from there a week and a half ago. Calling some buddies up there to see if they're all ok.

Fuck
Happily married gay couples with closets full of assault weapons. That's my vision for America
MarshalPurnell
Padawan Learner

Post by MarshalPurnell »

Watching CNN is seems as if one soldier opened fire in the Readiness Center with a pair of pistols and was shot dead by the response team after killing eleven other people. Two other soldiers are in custody on suspicion of involvement but the only one known at this time to have been shooting was the suspect that was killed. It seems like it may be a lone rampage rather than a domestic terrorist attack, after all.
There is the moral of all human tales;
Tis but the same rehearsal of the past,
First Freedom, and then Glory — when that fails,
Wealth, vice, corruption, — barbarism at last.

-Lord Byron, from 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage'
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

shooter ID'd as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. I'm still shocked that an army Major would do something like this. And fuck it all that the guy has an arabic-sounding name. I just hope people aren't jumping to their own conclusions about what happened based on the guy's name alone.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

irishmick79 wrote:shooter ID'd as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. I'm still shocked that an army Major would do something like this. And fuck it all that the guy has an arabic-sounding name. I just hope people aren't jumping to their own conclusions about what happened based on the guy's name alone.
Yeah boy it would really be hard to jump to a conclusion based upon his name.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Lonestar wrote:
irishmick79 wrote:shooter ID'd as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. I'm still shocked that an army Major would do something like this. And fuck it all that the guy has an arabic-sounding name. I just hope people aren't jumping to their own conclusions about what happened based on the guy's name alone.
Yeah boy it would really be hard to jump to a conclusion based upon his name.
You know there are some assholes out there doing it right now, though.

More news is reporting that the shooter was a mental health professional. Wow.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

irishmick79 wrote:
You know there are some assholes out there doing it right now, though.

:roll:

You can tell a lot about a person by his name. "Malik Nadal Hasan" suggests he was either raised in an Islamic household, or decided to convert at some point. It isn't too hard to make the leap from there.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

How often does someone as highly-ranked as a MAJOR go apeshit and kill people? I can imagine some pissed-off E2 stuck in the motor pool, but a Major?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:How often does someone as highly-ranked as a MAJOR go apeshit and kill people? I can imagine some pissed-off E2 stuck in the motor pool, but a Major?
It's NOT unheard of nor impossible, although it is much rarer: even the higher-ups have their share of mentally deficient, dangerously aggressive or people prone to snapping. Usually it doesn't result in deaths, though, although sometimes it may have been a near-case (I recall at least several, admittedly dismissed, officers of the Finnish army who stole equipment from garrisons, although I don't remember anyone actually using them - they sold them).
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

So the news says there's multiple suspects in custody, and I have no clue what's going on.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:How often does someone as highly-ranked as a MAJOR go apeshit and kill people? I can imagine some pissed-off E2 stuck in the motor pool, but a Major?
I'm gonna offer my theory right now: PTSD.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Streaming news, via CNN, is available here

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live ... am=stream1
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Latest news is that other suspects have been released; it appears that the Major acted alone. Whether it's PTSD, Sudden Jihad Syndrome or just plain nutcasery is something we don't know and may take some investigation to find out. However, the Major was a late-life convert to Islam and that does point to SJS.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Just heard this on the news - he is an army doctor - a psychiatrist to boot. He didn't want to go to Iraq. He is a muslim.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION