C & C Suggestion AND COMMENTARY Thread

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Mayabird
Storytime!

C & C Suggestion AND COMMENTARY Thread

Post by Mayabird »

This thread is for suggestions for stories to add to Completed or Cleaned Up Fanfics subforum, as well as a handy place for me to list the rules for suggestions, which are as follows:

The stories must (and these are subject to change without notice, for whatever reason):
1) Be completed or at a reasonable stopping place. If you've finished Book 1 of a trilogy but never actually got around to Book 2 and 3, good enough, I say.
1a) An exception can be made for high readership stories.
2) Not suck. Because I could say "be good" or "be somewhat decent" or "be reasonably readable" or whatever, except that could lead to a bunch of arguments about what constitutes good and so on and so forth, and that would just be a pain because no one has ever accused me of having good taste. But we should all know when a story is just plain awful; fortunately few of them get completed anyway and I doubt anybody will try it, but I thought I should say it.
3) Not be published. A tree died for it. Honor its sacrifice. Also it'd be healthier for us to all stay on the "not getting sued" side of copyright law.

And that's it for now. Pretty much anything else goes for the moment. War and Peace-length crossover epics, short stories, I'm fine with it. Doesn't have to be an actual fanfic either since there are already not-exactly-fanfics in there.

EDIT 1/22/10 Since nobody complained, I'm opening this thread up to comments about the different stories in it. We'll see how this goes.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Re: C & C Suggestion Thread

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

First suggestion, Academia Nut's original- fic Children of Heaven.
Long, sweeping SF epic, many, many views and comments, very few negative comments, more or less complete. The actual thread is complicated to pick through, and could do with being cleanly laid out.

Second, Imperial Overlord's series of a sort (this might be quite an editing job) involving 40K interrogator and subsequently Inquisitor Jolan Gix- there are several scattered throughout the forum, and I think they really are the sort of thing the forum exists for, tidying them up and getting them all in one place for better readability and continuity. At least one is currently still underway, but the older stories in the series would be good to have neatly to hand.

Just suggestions, of course.
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Hell, anything by ImpOverlord, really. If you need help, Maya, I can copy over the posts he did in LibArc, since we don't allow commentaries in the story-thread there.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Yeah, it would be a good idea to copy over all the completed TGG fics on Librium Arcana instead of using the thread here. I think 55 Days will have to be ported from here because it never went up at LibArc, but if the others can be copied up, that would make them nice and clean for reading. Would be awesome to finally have the TGG corpus all in one place... Thanks much!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Publius' Batman fic, if it isn't on the radar already.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Slight note, Children of Heaven is a worthy candidate, but it isn't by AN, it's Bladed Crescent.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Slight? I'm going to have to change my name and move to Izhevsk...sorry. Still a good story, though.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

As for my own suggestion, I nominate the first plot arc of Eleventh Century Remnant's Hull No. 721.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

White Haven wrote:As for my own suggestion, I nominate the first plot arc of Eleventh Century Remnant's Hull No. 721.
No offense to either you or ECR, but I have to disagree with that being enshrined without a great deal of cleanup and maybe editing to deal with the fact that there are people who just can't stand it.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

thejester wrote:Publius' Batman fic, if it isn't on the radar already.
Already PMed him for permission. :mrgreen:
Vehrec wrote:
White Haven wrote:As for my own suggestion, I nominate the first plot arc of Eleventh Century Remnant's Hull No. 721.
No offense to either you or ECR, but I have to disagree with that being enshrined without a great deal of cleanup and maybe editing to deal with the fact that there are people who just can't stand it.
Just can't stand the formatting? I might be willing to do some editing work. Might.

Anyway, as my first real test of my new modding powers, I just got Steve's "Anatomy of a War" finally completely posted, including all seven of its epilogues. That's it for today. Maybe something else tomorrow.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

I learned a lot about writing for an audience in the course of writing Hull 721, and it shows- it does start out very rocky. Mayabir, if you want I'll do the re- formatting and PM them to you, or whatever else you feel would work.
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Darth Fanboy's Scars Of Mustafar
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Thanks to a bout of not-being-able-to-work-properly today, a double repost: "You Know My Name: A Tale of Gotham Nights" by Publius, and "55 Days in Kalunda" mostly by Steve and Marina.

Let me know if there are any issues, things that need cleaning, etc. On that note, for stories in C & C if there are any obvious glaring typos or things the authors want corrected, I can edit the posts and fix them.

"Children of Heaven" is now on my "To Read" queue. Yeah, hadn't actually read it before. Time to catch up.

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

I would like to see the Duchess's De Imperatoribus Galacticis up there.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

By popular demand (multiple threads) De Imperatoribus Galacticis has been added! Marina's Galactic Empire always strikes back!

And since I still can't talk today so I can't go to work, another double feature: I also added "When Two Worlds Collide."

I've also pmed Bladed_Crescent for permission to post "Children of Heaven." And a few other people for their stories too.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I hereby propose a stickied thread at the top of the board to serve as a comment thread for the completed and cleaned up fanfics, so that people can still comment on them in their current archived position easily and conveniently. Obviously just one thread to provide comments for all of the fanfics, though it could ultimately be that really prolific authors with lots of works of fiction in C&C could have their own individual permanent comment threads if the main one gets clogged. How does this sound?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I hereby propose a stickied thread at the top of the board to serve as a comment thread for the completed and cleaned up fanfics, so that people can still comment on them in their current archived position easily and conveniently. Obviously just one thread to provide comments for all of the fanfics, though it could ultimately be that really prolific authors with lots of works of fiction in C&C could have their own individual permanent comment threads if the main one gets clogged. How does this sound?
When/if it becomes necessary, I think.

Anyway, now for something a little different (and a lot more depressing): Surlethe's "Global Mean Temperature" and Alferd Packer's "Rediscovered." More stories tomorrow.

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Now for today's offerings: "Frozen Phoenix/Jade Throne" by MarshalPurnell, for those who don't have their fill of insane genocidal AIs (and everybody else, get used to all the TGG stories added, as there are a lot of them), and because I've added enough depressing stories the past couple days, "Stargate: 1939" by CaptainChewbacca.

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Today's addition: "Scars of Mustafar" by Darth Fanboy.

Keep nominating stories.

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

"The Wrath of Paradise" by Steve has been added.
[line 2]

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

How about some of the various Drakafic stories? I know Norseman and Shep both wrote a good bit of that stuff; maybe a compilation thread could be good.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Continuing my light reign of terror: Star Trek: Timelines "The Widening Gyre" by Steve has been added.

Also, I don't think there were many completed Drakafic stories. I looked up the ones I could find but they seemed incomplete. I will check again, though.

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Hey, what do you know? There IS a completed Drakafic story. Today's reposting: "Operation: Noah's Hammer" by the Shep!

Also the compilation thread is here.

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Today's cleaned up story: the second of Steve's "Timelines." It's an AU Star Trek TNG, if you were wondering.

Lie: I did it to show that different stories in a series are okay for the reposting. As you may have figured from the growing collection of TGG stories.

Truth: I'm too tired from work today to want to clean up the long ones in the queue. You'll have to wait for the weekend.

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I think Noble Ire's The Rift should be in there.