Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 07:20pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Since the 'hilarious' discovery of Mike's word filters, I think it's worth discussing what they're for in context and if they should be used more.

Obviously, they are defeatable, but that isn't the point; they exist to punish people who reflexivly post 'annoying' 'catchphrases' with embarrassment. This is a goal I agree with pretty strongly, certainly from a humour perspective. Given my own manner of overusing such phrases, I think this is a good method of preventing excessive casual use, while not really stopping anyone saying whatever they want.

What do others think it's for, and how should it be used in future? Should I be prevented from ending a sentence with 'who knew'? Should Big Orange be prevented from using the phrase 'critic proof'? Should 'zerobama' be filtered in a humourous way? Should the list of filtered words be public? Should the replacement words be clearly flagged, or not?



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 07:37pm
Offline
Kneel before Zod!
User avatar

Joined: 2003-11-18 04:08pm
Posts: 27238
Location: F you
As long as the replacement at least makes an attempt at humor and mocking the overuse of a meme or catchphrase I can't say I really care one way or the other; as long as they're not stifling actual communication (ohai thar xbl forums!). I've been on enough sites with filters that they're really a minor nuisance at best.



"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 10:36pm
Offline
Charismatic Cult Leader
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-18 07:27pm
Posts: 13745
Location: Wheeeee!!
I think word filters are stupid. If the problem is people using Testing catchphrases outside of Testing, then a few good slaps in the face (ie. "cut that shit out, this is not Testing you stupid asshole") ought to cure the bad habit after a short while. Rip'em a few times and the perpetrators should learn not to use stupid catchphrases, and if they still don't learn then they can be beaten with one of the board rules (ie. use proper English), if they still don't shape up then we can get Shep to run another show trial or something.



Image
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 10:38pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I think that logic falls down because Mike clearly wants to humilate people who use phrases that annoy him. :) Personally I'd like to see it extended.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 11:04pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2008-08-19 01:34pm
Posts: 1821
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born
I didn't even KNOW the board had filters. But I'm an ignorant smarmy asshole. (Hah! beat the filter!)

Seriously, what was the genesis of word filtering on the site? I can't recall a post I've read (or made) that cued them, until this whole mysterious *I'm a smarmy asshole* thread pooped up in Testing.



Image
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 11:04pm
Offline
Sith Marauder

Joined: 2004-12-21 11:06pm
Posts: 4999
Location: Berkeley, California (USA)
Does anybody actually use "am1rite" non-ironically around here? Just curious, because I can't remember the last time I saw it happen.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 11:39pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2004-03-10 08:23pm
Posts: 3852
Location: Yar Yar Hump Hump!
Junghalli wrote:
Does anybody actually use "am1rite" non-ironically around here? Just curious, because I can't remember the last time I saw it happen.


Don't ask me to back it up, as I can't, but I think I've seen *I'm a smarmy asshole* used a few times in N&P.



Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 11:46pm
Offline
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Posts: 70016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Even once outside of Testing is too many times. If I keep seeing 4chan-isms on the main forums, I'll start a "shoot on sight" policy.



Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 11:55pm
Offline
Carvin' Marvin
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 11:51pm
Posts: 14451
Location: Land of the Mountain Fascists
Junghalli wrote:
Does anybody actually use "am1rite" non-ironically around here? Just curious, because I can't remember the last time I saw it happen.

Just saw one used today.

Yes, people use it outside of Testing.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin



My Fundie Guide The World Has Ended.....Life Goes On
Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-18 11:59pm
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-01-18 01:20am
Posts: 360
Location: Portland, Oregon
I find the word replacement annoying, but not because I don't think the use some words/phrases isn't worth mockery. It bugs me for the same reason that moderation by post deletion annoys me—it erases the evidence. If the board auto-Horsemanizes posts, I'd at least like to know what was originally said.

On a related note, would this feature be usable for auto-breaking links to sites like stormfront, something awful, etc.?

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 12:03am
Offline
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Posts: 70016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Actually, it's already used for auto-breaking links to stormfront and somethingawful, and has been for years. And I don't really see how it erases evidence; it's obvious that if the replacement phrase is there, someone must have used the original one.



Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 12:09am
Offline
Miscreant
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Posts: 12721
Location: Oakland CA
Darth Wong wrote:
Even once outside of Testing is too many times. If I keep seeing 4chan-isms on the main forums, I'll start a "shoot on sight" policy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a term, along with many others like it, that actually originated in G&C since many of the arguments in there are far more subjective and open to 'Fat nerds are fanboys аmirite who knew?' type of mud slinging.



Image

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 12:44am
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2004-03-10 08:23pm
Posts: 3852
Location: Yar Yar Hump Hump!
Darth Holbytlan wrote:
I find the word replacement annoying, but not because I don't think the use some words/phrases isn't worth mockery. It bugs me for the same reason that moderation by post deletion annoys me—it erases the evidence. If the board auto-Horsemanizes posts, I'd at least like to know what was originally said.


It doesn't erase evidence. If the word 'am1rite' or the phrase 'who knew, lol?' are integral pieces of evidence to your argument, I'd question the seriousness of the debate in the first place. Besides, I can find any number of boards that have this policy with no problem. It doesn't impede discussion, it's generally easy to spot, and it makes for fun mockery when some smarmy ass forgets about it and unwittingly activates it.



Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 12:54am
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-05-31 02:10am
Posts: 945
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula
If you're to do word filters, I would filter common misspellings like "rediculous" and "definately" to something mocking like [PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM TOO STUPID TO CORRECTLY SPELL THE WORD "definitely"]

If there was a way to get the filter to read an asterisk as an asterisk and not a wildcard, then maybe filter f*ck to FUCK, and other cases of purposeless self-censorship.



Hi, I'm Liz.
Image

SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 12:57am
Offline
The Dark Messenger
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 12:05am
Posts: 19309
Location: AZ
I think that would be overkill. Misspellings happen, even to meticulous people, and most times it's not really worth jumping on unless it's some kind of aggravating netspeak or the like. Someone who is ESL may find such a thing deterrent to joining, as well.



Image
JADAFETWA

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 01:26am
Offline
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Posts: 70016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Havok wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Even once outside of Testing is too many times. If I keep seeing 4chan-isms on the main forums, I'll start a "shoot on sight" policy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a term, along with many others like it, that actually originated in G&C since many of the arguments in there are far more subjective and open to 'Fat nerds are fanboys аmirite who knew?' type of mud slinging.

Frankly, I don't give a shit exactly where it started. I hate that shit with a passion and if it spreads too much, I'll take whatever measures are necessary to kill it. Do not think I'm joking when I say I would rather kill off 75% of the board members than allow this place to turn into another 4channish kiddie-spam forum.



Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 03:16am
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-01-18 01:20am
Posts: 360
Location: Portland, Oregon
Darth Wong wrote:
Actually, it's already used for auto-breaking links to stormfront and somethingawful, and has been for years.

Huh. I could swear I reported an unbroken stormfront link in the last month. Perhaps the filter needs to be tightened...

Quote:
And I don't really see how it erases evidence; it's obvious that if the replacement phrase is there, someone must have used the original one.

Right. And if you know what the replacement patterns are already, then that works. Me, I'm completely clueless as to what "*I'm a smarmy asshole*" replaced.

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:
It doesn't erase evidence. If the word 'am1rite' or the phrase 'who knew, lol?' are integral pieces of evidence to your argument, I'd question the seriousness of the debate in the first place. Besides, I can find any number of boards that have this policy with no problem. It doesn't impede discussion, it's generally easy to spot, and it makes for fun mockery when some smarmy ass forgets about it and unwittingly activates it.

I don't mean that it impedes discussion. I mean that erases the evidence of what stupid phrase they used. Essentially, I feel left out of the joke. :cry:

:P

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 07:39am
Offline
Carvin' Marvin
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 11:51pm
Posts: 14451
Location: Land of the Mountain Fascists
Darth Holbytlan wrote:

Right. And if you know what the replacement patterns are already, then that works. Me, I'm completely clueless as to what "*I'm a smarmy asshole*" replaced.


Then you are a moron, considering it's been mentioned several times in this very thread.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin



My Fundie Guide The World Has Ended.....Life Goes On
Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-19 11:00am
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-01-18 01:20am
Posts: 360
Location: Portland, Oregon
fgalkin wrote:
Then you are a moron, considering it's been mentioned several times in this very thread.

Without it being substituted. Perhaps I can be forgiven for realizing that the phrase wasn't actually used here, especially since I was making a more general point about substitutions and expect that most of the time there aren't going to be HoC and Testing threads on the subject to cross-check. Doubly so, since I almost never visit Testingstan.

But I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out, *I'm a smarmy asshole*? [Presses Preview]

Yep. Now I feel dirty.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-20 09:49pm
Offline
Miscreant
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Posts: 12721
Location: Oakland CA
Darth Wong wrote:
Havok wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Even once outside of Testing is too many times. If I keep seeing 4chan-isms on the main forums, I'll start a "shoot on sight" policy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a term, along with many others like it, that actually originated in G&C since many of the arguments in there are far more subjective and open to 'Fat nerds are fanboys аmirite who knew?' type of mud slinging.

Frankly, I don't give a shit exactly where it started. I hate that shit with a passion and if it spreads too much, I'll take whatever measures are necessary to kill it. Do not think I'm joking when I say I would rather kill off 75% of the board members than allow this place to turn into another 4channish kiddie-spam forum.

That's fine, but as you are insinuating that it started in and is the fault of Testing (It's not) I thought I would mention it.
Just say you don't like it period and institute the lock down. The 'word' has been around for a couple years now and there has been no apocalypse.

Also, is 'am i rite' really 4chan type of behavior? If it is, the place gets far too much press.

fgalkin's example is pretty funny considering he linked to a political cartoon thread, a thing born of irony and sarcasm.



Image

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-20 10:34pm
Offline
Kneel before Zod!
User avatar

Joined: 2003-11-18 04:08pm
Posts: 27238
Location: F you
Havok wrote:
Also, is 'am i rite' really 4chan type of behavior? If it is, the place gets far too much press.


You can find a pretty good chunk of "testingstsan" vocabulary/memes in the *chans, Encyclopedia Dramatica and Something Awful. It's not like testing's really made anything original in that regard.



"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-20 10:40pm
Offline
Sith Marauder

Joined: 2003-08-28 08:16pm
Posts: 3980
I'd dispute how much of Testing really has its own vocabulary and how much is original (smugdog is certainly a loan from somethingawful, but that's about all that comes to the top of my head besides ED's Am I Right that actually comes from G&C anyhow, and, uh... well, Uraniun posted a gif from SA about captain picard smoking weed once, if I remember correctly), but that's not the point of this thread: The point of this thread is that the word filter is pretty cool in my opinion.

I've got to say after an initial 'Whoa what is this?' that I like the filter on Am I Right. It's a pretty irritating thing to say, and the filter is a good way to say 'hey cut that shit out' even if it's not actually going to stop anyone creative from saying it. Also it's certainly a much more interesting and public way than actually just posting an announcement 'hey don't say that it's annoying as fuck', and probably more effective at sticking in people's minds.

I think we, like Stark suggests, need even more filters for annoying catchphrases and stupid things people say, like who knew.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-20 10:43pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2006-04-22 07:52pm
Posts: 1910
I'm betting that a couple people were waiting for me to rail against the word filters as I've done with a few other topics, but I'm afraid those poor souls are in for disappointment.

To me, the only time that phrase was funny was when used in a mocking manner, similar to how "lol" has evolved in use on these forums. Having it replaced with *I'm a smarmy asshole* is actually funnier than even the best use of the original phrase, so I say "so be it."

Less seriously - replacing "lol" with "I have crabs and they itch" would be awesome.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-20 10:52pm
Offline
Snuggly Swimmer Babe
User avatar

Joined: 2002-12-14 03:23pm
Posts: 5518
Location: here...and there...
Duckie wrote:
I think we, like Stark suggests, need even more filters for annoying catchphrases and stupid things people say, like who knew.


If "who knew" is added to the list I'd be quite upset since there's a nice newspaper article I'd like to post which has a headline starting with that particular phrase. I share my husband's opinion on word filters, they're just there so the mods can be lazy bums and waste more time oppressing people for their personal amusement.



This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects


I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins


It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning
- Henry Ford

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: [discussion] Word Filters PostPosted: 2009-10-20 10:56pm
Offline
Sith Marauder

Joined: 2003-08-28 08:16pm
Posts: 3980
That's actually a good point I hadn't considered, a blanket substitution would actually for 'who knew' affect legitimate dialogue whereas nobody ever actually has to say 'amírite' in any worthwhile conversation. My mistake. If only you could tell a regular expression 'replace only stupid posts with scorn'. :)

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group