6%
Late Victorian Period (1880-1900)
No votes

Total votes: 32

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Time Period for SDN World 3

Post by Steve »

Okay, five options, though only three of them have been heavily discussed.

Please post to confirm you've voted.

(Note that this counts as my vote post.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Re: Time Period for SDN World 3

Post by RogueIce »

Late Interbellum Period (1930-35), as that's what I'm most familiar with given the options.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I'm for Early Interbellum, because I really, really don't want nukes involved in this game.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Master_Baerne wrote:I'm for Early Interbellum, because I really, really don't want nukes involved in this game.
Turn of the Century because I really, really really don't want nukes involved in this game.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Late interbellum, because there won't be a Manhattan Project to spur the development of nukes, so there's no need to worry about those.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I had an idea that any character who even thinks of making a nuclear weapon has his head explode in a rather messy fashion, courtesy of Q.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Beowulf wrote:I had an idea that any character who even thinks of making a nuclear weapon has his head explode in a rather messy fashion, courtesy of Q.
I like this plan, though it might be a bit hard to explain. :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I voted for 1910, primarily for storytelling purposes. If we end up having a WWI type event it can spur technological growth in a similar fashion.

Honestly I expect a lot of instability at the start of the game simply because people will now be role playing all the nations instead of them being static.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

The Late Victorian sounds interesting, but it'd be kind of slow, so I voted for turn of the century.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Late Interbellum Period for me. Though I don't mind other dates.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Late Interbellum Period (1930-35). Oh and I'll second the whole no nukes thing, at least not at the start.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

1910. If I play as Germany or Spain, I'd rather play at a time when the nations were not full-on crazy yet.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Early Interbellum. Maximum Battleships ahoy!

More seriously, I think later Interbellum is inviting "massive bombardment of cities" waaaaaay too early.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

How about a somewhat anacronistic time period with a few things being more advanced than others (say general 1930s tech with nuclear physics being set back a decade with a few feilds accelerated in development). Hell, doing such as illiminating the WNT would change the face of warfare considerably.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Well, alternatively, our scientists could all be hippies (:P) and conscentiously object to developing nuclear weapons for us.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I decided that I couldn't live without computers. 1930-35.

So Sayeth the Emperor of Byzantium.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:1910. If I play as Germany or Spain, I'd rather play at a time when the nations were not full-on crazy yet.
Well, you'd have complete freedom to determine how your country is structured and is behaving. If you decided to play Spain you wouldn't have to have a fracturing society on the eve of civil war.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I also want to add that nuclear weapons can be held off indefinitely by player agreement and mod oversight. It takes a lot of effort to simply get a project going, massive funding and everything, and if you're not on the right track the only thing you'll get out of it will be nuclear reactors for energy. And even that will probably take us until the 1950s.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:
Thanas wrote:1910. If I play as Germany or Spain, I'd rather play at a time when the nations were not full-on crazy yet.
Well, you'd have complete freedom to determine how your country is structured and is behaving. If you decided to play Spain you wouldn't have to have a fracturing society on the eve of civil war.
Yeah, sorry if I gave the impression I did not know that. But I still would prefer to stick close to the original players so I can have an easier time designing my nation.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Changed my mind and I have switched my vote from Late to Early to reflect this.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Steve wrote:I also want to add that nuclear weapons can be held off indefinitely by player agreement and mod oversight. It takes a lot of effort to simply get a project going, massive funding and everything, and if you're not on the right track the only thing you'll get out of it will be nuclear reactors for energy. And even that will probably take us until the 1950s.
As I said: thinking about nuclear weapons cause your head to explode. :D
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

I voted 1910, because that's as far back as we can go without my having to change anything. ;)
tiny friendly crab.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I voted for 1910, I think it gives us the maximum leeway in terms of both modern warfare as we are starting to understand it (division based battles with repeating rifles are the norm) along with some colonialism (the German conquests of the turn of the century), and a lot of room for tech to develop (Dreadnoughts just came in to play 4 years ago and the airplane not much before that).

It would allow us to create an awesome colonial or medieval past while still drawing on recent enough knowledge about tactics, technology, and sociology to play believably.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Early interbellum. Gives plenty of time to develop and can make the game a very long-lasting hobby without bumping into nukes straightaway. That's nice :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

1930, Late Interbellum. We get to use the earliest iterations of the things that would be used in WW1.

Though I also like the idea of a 1910 game.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan