Mythbusting (Isral & palestine)

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Mythbusting (Isral & palestine)

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Some total loon (some fundie whackjob) on a local finnish-swedish forum told me this whilst I was trolling him and his Israel is always 10000% right schtick that he keeps ruining the forum with, I'll translate:
Israel har under 60 år dödat färre palestinier än Jordanien under några veckor i september 1970.
Israel har under 60 år dödat färre palestinier än vad Sri Lankas arme dödade TAMILER för några månader sedan.
Israel har under 60 år dödat färre palestinier än antalet kristna som dödas i Darfur varje vecka!

Israel has under 60 years killed less palestinians than Jordan did under a few weeks in september 1970.
Israel has under 60 years killed less palestinians than Sri Lankas army killed Tamils a few months ago.
Israel has under 60 years killed less palestinians than the number of christians killed in Darfur every week!
Needless to say I don't buy his numbers one bit, not that he really gave any, so I am looking up numbers just to toss in his crazy spittle stained face. I figured we got people here that might have run across this before, because like creationists these guys just get stuff to regurgitate from some central nutjob place.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Mythbusting (Isral & palestine)

Post by Eleas »

I know you're debating him, but reading the above text, it strikes me as futile. You quoted three lines, and still, it was a fucking chant. I doubt he's going to even notice your rebuttals.

As for advice, countering him with facts is good, but his own seem highly dubious. Where is he getting them?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
His Divine Shadow

To be honest I've been trolling him mostly because he is shitting up the forum and I know the mods just want an excuse to get rid of him... But he seems to dumb to notice, he did claim later that 15-20k palestinians tops have been killed by Israel in the last 60 years and linked this site:
http://www.ifamericansknew.org/stats/deaths.html

I am not sure if this might be breaking the moratorium though.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Upon a cursory glance, at least, the IfAmericansKnew site is not uncritical toward Israel by any means. So I suppose that's something. As to its factual accuracy, I'm not qualified to comment. The site does note the massive media distortion in favor of the US; again, I'd offhandedly say that's a mark in its favor.
His Divine Shadow wrote:I am not sure if this might be breaking the moratorium though.
Though I'd naturally defer to the moderators, you're not exactly inciting a debate here; I'd argue it's peripheral enough to avoid giving people an excuse to go to war on this forum, or to engage in a debate without possibility of consensus, which is the whole reason for the I/P moratorium (or so I understand).
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Wow, my brain hurts now.

For the numbers, while they do sound like bullshit, its completely irrelevant. Not that he is anywhere near right, but even if he was, that weird chant-like argument of his is a red herring. The atrocities committed by or in other nations has jack all to do with atrocities in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
His Divine Shadow

Yeah that was the avenue I went with last night as well.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I can't believe you did not see the obvious reply.

Palestine has under 60 years killed less Jews than Germans did in few weeks in September 1943
Palestine has under 60 years killed less Jews than Germans did in few months in September 1942
Palestine has under 60 years killed less Jews than the number of Jews killed in Belzec every week! (..in 1944)

The 1,358 a week in the Belzec concentration camp FYI in that year.
Ask him why on Xenu's fertile province does it matter who's killing how many of who if one side is killing them to begin with? Unless your talking about Nazi's, you can always find a worse situation in the past(typically Nazi's)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
His Divine Shadow

Actually since I was half trolling him I did invoke ze germans last night, but not in that fashion.