SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Post by Lonestar »

Virginia Pilot

As Coalition prepares for final push towards Nexus City, postwar plans for Sirnoth emerge

The Virginia Pilot has learned that work is being conducted on TXN reserve frigates, work intended to bring the "ghost fleet" ships to operational status and turned over to a new Sirnothi Navy. Rumors that a similar deal has been reached with the Shinra Republic in regards to Gorgon class frigates slated for early retirement remain, as yet, unconfirmed. In the Old Dominion it was announced that 26 Super-Griffins will be retired, as well all of the ODAAF's RQ-7 Shadow UAVs. Bloggers have reported that both types of aircraft have been seen with Sirnothi Roundels, making it likely that these will be the core of a new Sirnothi Air Force.

Already a "Provisional Coalition Authority" civilian government has been declared behind the front lines, with a committee of nine(4 OD, 2 Augustine, and 3 other OICAS members) running the show. The Committee is tasked with restoring public services and seeking out an appropriate Chief Executive until local control can be turned over to the Sirnothi …[More]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Round The Moon

Selene 5, 380 000 kilometers above the Earth

The capsule eased into lunar orbit with surpising ease, and the engine's thrust seemed like a quiant little purr - most unlike the roaring inferno of the Saturn III's first stage. As the spacecraft quieted down for orbital operation, the three men who crewed it looked at each other solemnly.

"We made it, gentlemen", Commander Dębski announced, "Welcome to Selene!"

Gus Grissom grinned in response, "Hell yeah!", he hollered. Both of them stared at the last crewmember, the flight engineer - a Zorian named Hojo Tokamane.

"This is indeed a most auspicious day. We should proceed with the mission plan.", he stated coldly after barely acknowleding the extraordinary circumstances they were in, "We will clear Selene in six minutes, it is time to report to Mission Control."

Edward laughed, "Yes sir Mr. Scock!", he said jokingly, referring to the popular Shroomanian sci-fi show, "Systems report."

"All onboard systems are oparting at nominal parameters, commander", Hojo seemed unfazed by the commander's joke and performed his onboard duties with efficiency, precision and cold emotionless professionalism, "Five minutes"

"Okay...Dale, you're on the camera. Get ready for the broadcast."

Comona Island, Selene 5 Mission Control

The room was crowded with people - from civilians through FASTA contractors to journalists from every possible station. Cameras were pointed at the giant screens, and digital recorders were plugged into the "Dark Chest", a central computer which recorded everything that happened in the room - from telemetry to video broadcasts.

The communications crew was especially busy, checking antenna alingments and comms protocols. They gave each other mysterious hand signals and nods, untill finally everything was ready.

"Selene 5 should clear the moon in five...four...three...two...one..."

The main screen lit up as if on cue, and the cramped interior of the capsule materialized on it. Edward Dębski was smiling to the camera, in full HD glory,broadcast across the world in real time.

"Hello Earth! This is the crew of Selene 5, speaking to you from orbit of our closest satellite - the furthest a human ever travelled! We have arrived here after a four day trip, travelling several times faster than a rifle bullet, and entered orbit just scant minutes ago!"

The reporters were absolutely silent. Only the mission control crew silently talked to Hojo, confirming systems status.

"Our mission will take us a scant ten kilometers above Selene's surface, where we will survey several most likely landing sites for future missions. After twelve orbits, we will ignite the engines and set ourselves on a trajectory bound for Earth...but let's not bore you with the details. Dale - that's our second pilot and cameraman for this little show - will now present to you a spectacular view."

The camera drifted downwards, to an open hatch leading to the orbital module. With some acrobatics, Dale managed to point the camera at one of two small windows.

The reporters oohed and aahed in awe, watching the spectacular image of Earth rising above the an alien, lunar horizon.

Result: Selene 5 enters lunar orbit without incident, awes the world with the most expensive tourist photograph ever taken.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion Defense

Facing difficulties in supporting ground forces in Sirnoth, ODN leases High Speed Ferry

The Island Princess, one of the dozen Augustine Lines high speed ferries operating in the Impact Crater, has been leased by the ODN to help support ongoing operations in Sirnoth.

The pace of the ground war in Sirnoth has been largely dictated by the lack of lift, despite the Coalition chartering over 3 dozen cargo vessels and having amphibious assets conducting high speed runs between Shepland and Sirnoth. There have been rumors that offensive operations have been stalled multiple times due to lack of fuel and ammo...[More]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

PeZook wrote:World Summit, Cascadia

When the first two days passed, and representatives of all gathered nations finished their private prescheduled meetings, the time has come for the first general assembly to come to pass. King Paul requested to be the first to speak, and he was granted this right.

"Ladies and gentlemen, honorable representatives of all nations. It is with great pleasure that I take the floor before this most auspicious body, assembled in a nation as hospitable as Cascadia. The very place of our meeting today is representative of the goals of this Summit: Cascadia has always been recognized by the world community as a fair and neutral partner in solving all world disputes. Hosting this conference is yet another honorable mark in the record of this Republic.

In my opening speech I would like to first and foremost express PeZookia's concern over the last year's misunderstandings and bad blood which we've allowed to accumulate between CATO and MESS alliances. We humbly acknowledge that part of the blame lies on CATO, and would like to propose a discussion on the chief catalyst for it: the Costa crisis. I have been informed, by various channels, that MESS leadership was alarmed and concerned over the sudden and rapid inclusion of several new CATO members. I would very much like to hear the proposal of MESS - and of course unaligned - representatives on how to avoid such unfortunate circumstances in the future: what actions do they deem necessary to feel at ease and reasurred with the entire process?

It is my belief that working out this issue is one of the first and foremost matters that need to be tackled on this conference."
King Arik had been caught up in a brief flurry of activity-- sometimes, being a world leader was a pain in the ass. Even while he was trying to pay attention to King Paul, there were constant interruptions by text, messenger, and the like. He finally had to read the transcript to make sure of what was said before he could confidently reply.
Man, this whole thing is off to an inauspicious start, that's for sure... he thought as he stepped up to make his comments.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the assembly, good day. I apologize for the tardiness of my response, I'm sure we've all come to appreciate how damned annoying affairs of state can become..." he paused as a slight chuckle passed through the room. "...I must echo the sentiments of King Paul; first in thanking our Cascadian hosts not only for the venue but also for the atmosphere of fairness and neutrality.

"But I must also agree with Paul on something else-- a little bit of communiucation before hand could have solved all of this before it became a problem. King Paul states that CATO expansion was alarming and that CATO members ignored the effect this would have on the MESS; and on the other hand it occurs to me that I, at least, never just picked up the phone to ask my friends in CATO what was going on.

"Likewise, in the MESS we'll discuss ideas and goals, and then act on them, and then we end up surprised that th erest of the world, CATO and un-aligned alike, are surprised at what seems, to us, to be a perfectly understandable action.

"So I say enough. I have publicly called for a council of united nations where we can meet and discuss things diplomatically; where if one of us does something that perplexes th eothers, the diplomats are in a place where they are expected to ask one another what's going on before mobilization orders are given and the dominoes begin to fall.

"In the case of the Costas, I'd say that we cannot look at the Costas situation entirely on it's own. The reason the Costas situation was so alarming was because it was a culmination of events that appeared to quickly undermine Frequesnean neutrality, then quickly expanded CATO influence and membership, and finally result in outright acquisition by conquest. I'm sure that other events in Frequesne, from Tian Jiao to the Vineyards --events which fell in place in favor of the MESS-- raised alarms as well.

"I think first and foremost we need to freeze in place, as best we can, events in Frequesne. We have Peacekeepers in Costas and time to sort things out. We need to recognise exactly what and where our spheres of influence and interest lay and what our intentions are. I can state for the record that Canissia has no interest in conquest in Frequesne; obviously we have allies in the area and interests, and we intend to protect those interests, so there will be bases in the area. I'd expect much the same of CATO or others in the MESS.

"So my proposal is this: First, freeze in place as much foreign activity in Frequesne as possible. Second- A united nations council, convened perhaps here in Cascadia, to begin explaining one another's interests and goals and to seek nonviolent means to accomodate and compromise with those goals.

"I thank you for your time in this matter," he said, and stepped away from the podium, back to the Canissian booth where his aides and family waited. He sat down next to his kids.

"What happens now, Dad?" his son Anton asked.
"Now, we wait to see what others have to say."
"Do they have to do what we tell them?" his son asked, "Or do they tell us what to do?"
"Neither," Arik said, "They listen to what we want, and we listen to what they want, and try to find a way to agree with each."

"What if everyone wants things they can't all have?" Cailin asked. Arik wondered if the fidgety redhead had paid attenmtion, but she had. She just didn't look it-- Arik knew his daughter wanted to go out and climb trees and throw rocks instead.
"Then we find a way to agree," Arik replied, "That means everyone has to give up a little of what they want and find a way to be happy with less."
"Like sharing cake," Cailin said. "Everyone wants the biggest piece, but they have to share."

"Just like sharing cake," Arik smiled.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

Icarus Electronics achieves new standard in high density optical drive storage

Icarus Electronics today announced that they have achieved a new standard in high density holographic optical drive storage. They showed off their latest creation; a 10 TB optical disc of similar size to today's Blu Ray and DVDs. While it is expected that it will take 3-5 years before it enters the market, Icarus Electronics also announced that it is shipping the first race track memory chips, with capacity of 500 GB a piece.

New ship of the Centurion class frigates launched.

Hot after the heels of her sister ship launched in San Dorado, the first ship of the Centurion class frigates was launched from Constantinople Shipyards today. Utilizing the S-500F-F, and the Byzantine S-500F VLS system, the ship will have 48 VLS cells in total, of which 16 are allocated to Klub-II ASW missiles. The ship has two variants; one is a dedicated ASW ship with SURTASS II for long range detection of submarines and enhanced performance in littoral conditions especially against SSKs, and the other an air defence frigate with a customizable cargo bay for shore operations and the PAM/LAM system. The ship has a CODAG propulsion to allow it to steam at 33knots peak, and 18knots cruise for 5000miles.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

PeZook wrote:"Of course", Paul agreed immediately, "My suite, perhaps? I doubt Cascadians bugged them."
Day One - CATO-MESS Summit, Republic of Cascadia
King Paul's Suite

"You know, before all of this, I never thought I'd live in such luxury. Now, it's become the norm." With a silent laugh, Rufus turned his attention back to business.

"So I was thinking, about the ISCA. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if we came out of this with a real, solid, joint proposal. With all respect to Coyote and his 'UN', most of the leaders know what a joke the Earth UN was, and really I'm not sure how it'll be much more than a glorified talk club here, either. But the ISCA, on the other hand..."

"Would that really work here?" asked Paul. "This world is a bit different from the last, you know."

"I know, and we could probably make some progress on the ship building. There are a number of developing nations now that might be attracted by relatively cheap ships, partially subsidized by foreign money. And we could make the focus on relatively fast to build ships, if not quite as capable as the largest cargo ships out there. And of course the investment in developing infrastructure, again helped out with foreign monies, would be attractive for some countries, as otherwise they'd have to foot the entire bill.

"We could also try to make it into a sort of mediator to resolve trade disputes as well, maybe to set up standards and the like for merchant traffic? There are many details to be worked out, of course. But I think with some effort we could come up with a decent proposal, one that can show some tangible results to the world. Coming from both the MESS and CATO.

"What do you think?"
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Darth Coyotus
Redshirt

Post by Darth Coyotus »

NATIONAL SUNSHINE COUNCIL MORNING LEADERSHIP BRIEF
NEOTOKYO

"Another minor protest in the Rangattan Prefecture," the Tokeitai Colonel noted. "That is three this month."
"What constitutes as 'minor' in your world, Colonel Hidoshi?" the General of Army Group South asked.

"Less than 100 people," Hidoshi said, "The protest was quiet and orderly, and the people dispersed after the hour their permit allotted."
"Well, they learned their lessons after that first protest," General Hikumi muttered.
"That protest largely got out of control because of the prescence of hooligan elements from Sumatra," Colonel Hidoshi pointe dout. "The post-event review made that quite clear-- and that my people responded with sufficient force."

"No one was questioning your response, Colonel," the Army Group South commander replied. "That man's --unfortunate-- death was a result of the panicked stampede caused by the hooligans."
Colonel Hidoshi bowed his head slightly and resumed his report. "Dairy product imports are down considerably since the loss of our ally Shepistan," Hidoshi said, "The resulting shortages have caused costs to skyrocket internally and some unrest to spread in the urban areas. Conversely, the small plots of land that peasant farmers had been using for dairy production is now quite valuable. There are reports of price-gouging by farmers, thefts of dairy supplies by hooligans, and accusations of unfair distribution."

The Sunshine Council talked among themselves. An increased police prescence was likely, but that was a short-term solution. What was needed was more domestic production, and that meant converting some land to dairy pastures. The benefits of cows vs. goats, or production mandates, would be the messy purview of the Diet. The Sunshine Council military panel only had to issue the order to convert several thousand acres of land to dairy use and that was that.

"What is next on the agenda?" General Hikumi asked.
"The nuclear test," said Air-Marshal Junishiro, "Was a resounding test as we know. The foreign devils know we have the nuclear bomb; now they know that they cannot as easily steamroll us as they did Shepistan. From here, we need to refine and miniaturize this so that we may outfit the entire air-defense network into one of nuclear-tipped interceptors."
"It shall be done," General Hikumi said, "The nuclear air-defense program shall have priority."

"What of Naval modernization?" Admiral Fuchida asked, "Our small ships fleet is only now seeing the benefits of the modernization programs. Our larger fleet assets still need to be upgraded."
"Naval modernization cannot take precedence over the sanctity of Imperial airspace," Air-Marshal Junishiro said. "Under the protective umbrella of the Air Defense Corps, all our activities will be safeguarded."

"It is the Imperial Navy which has borne the largest burden --and risk-- these last few years," Admiral Fuchida said calmly, "It is our ships which have been intercepting foreign vessels and assets; it has been our divers and frogmen which have been mapping--"
"I know what your men have been doing," the Air-Marshal said, "And you have been promising us the 'stealth ship' for some time now, too. But that project lingers. My nuclear air-defense plan is ready to begin testing now."

"Gentlemen," General Hikumi said, "The Navy has performed splendidly, and can continue to do so with current resources, I say. Air-Marshal Junishiro has a point. The barbarians will need air superiority to gain any foothold, and the nuclear air defense program will deny them that. And the Navy will benefit from that protection as well. The barbarians are obviously surrounding us again, and choking our economic viability. Once they sense our weakness, they will strike. The nuclear ADA program has priority."

Admiral Fuchida bowed his head in submission to the announcement. "The Navy will have nuclear-tipped air-defenses as well, then?" he asked.
"Of course," General Hikumi said. "Now. On to the next order of business..."

Japanistan facing economic pressure from loss of trade partner Shepistan.
Convinced this is part of a long-term, larger effort to isolate and destroy Japanistan.
Nuclear-tipped air-defense will be the standard; other programs will take a back seat.
ATTENTION: This account is an authorized sockpuppet belonging to Coyote. It is for the sole purpose of posting 'Bad Guy' plots and storylines in the STGODS forum.

LET THE EVIL BEGIN!!
Darth Coyotus
Redshirt

Post by Darth Coyotus »

FENRAVEN, INDHOPAL

Indhopal's leaders knew they needed to be cautious around Japanistan. Many didn't trust them at all given their imperialistic behavior in the past and their international pariah status. Indhopal was in a tight spot these days though and no offer of aid could be discounted out of hand. Mr. Hokuzai got his response.

President Raj Ahten invited the delegate to his offices where they also met with key members of parliament. The President greeted Mr Hokuzai politely and thanked him for his offer of assistance. He also said that at this time Indhopal would have to decline such direct assistance, as Indhopal's citizens would never accept foreign troops based on their soil no matter if they were friendly or not.

He did say that relations between their two nations had been cold for far too long. President Ahten offered to resume trade relations that had been cut for many years. More importantly he brought up the possibility of intelligence cooperation to combat crime and terrorism as well as share "information of interest" to both parties.

The President also invited the Imperial Navy to make a tour of friendship to Indhopal's ports and that Indhopal's navy would reciprocate the show of friendship.

Result:
Indhopal declines to have bases in its territory but opens up to the possibility of friendly relations and intelligence sharing with Japanistan.

Ambassador Hokuzai smiled warmly.

"Of course," he siad, "I understand perfectly how delicate the political situation is. I had hoped that Japanistan's existing ties with the IRT would provide a calming effect on the situation, but..." he let the comment hang.

"As for trade, I think it is indeed long past time we opened up to more cooperation. I can arrange a friendship visit with my superiors, who will be eager to partake of such a gesture. Some of the trade we are most interested in is agricultural in nature. You have more grasslands here for supporting cattle grazing, yes..?"

SOUTHERN COSTAS INTERIOR

The RUF looked back at their pursuers, halted at the river. The Baernish commander was no idiot, he knew what a river crossing mean, and he was being careful not to expose his troops to what might well be a trap.

"They'll call in any nearby unit for reinforcements," Lukin Grey noted to Riggo, the former Old Dominion SpecOps guy and convicted felon. "That'll provide some delay. but there'll be maneuver forces in our area of advance. Let's link up with the others."
Riggo nodded his acknowledgement. As he shouldered his pack, Lukin noticed that he'd already set up a Claymore mine, needing only the final touch of the blasting cap, on the outside of his pack. He'd be able to ditch it and run within seconds.

The small RUF force picked its way through the brush with haste, down in a small dry creek bed. Wenz, the tail-end Charlie guy now after Riggo, dragged brush after them to obscure their trail. They made good time when Lukin called a halt.

"Put up a whistling pete," he said. Wenz and Riggo exchanged glances. "It'll slow 'em dowm. Let's move!" The rest of the small detachment set up full-round security as Wenz set up the whistling boobytrap simulator and Riggo ran the wire.

Lukin loved whistling boobytrap simulators, and he always had a few along on his missions. Completely non-lethal, they were training aids that went off, usually by tripwire, in training exercises. The loud, shrieking whistle gave away the offender's position. Embarassing in a training situation, they could downright destry morale in a real-world situation where soldiers were tense, nerves were raw, and the pursuers were guaranteed to halt in place and hunker down until the piercing, 15-second shriek was done-- and even then, they'd frequently stay down until they were sure it wasn't a trap. By the time they got up and argued, the RUF would be far away.

The simulators they had were MESS issue --actually Canissian, which was a stroke of luck considering that the Canissian were the primary MESS prescence in the Costas. The sim was set up, the area sterilized, and the team ran on to their rally point.

They reached the rally point first, and waited a few minutes for the expected crash of brush coming from the direction they faced.
"Bulldog," Lukin said.
"Chesty," Blackpelt gave th ecounter-signal, and the teams reunited.

"Any trouble?" Jackson Blackpelt asked.
"Nope," Lukin said. The air was suddenly rent by a shrill, piercing whistle. Lukin grinned; Jackson and the rest of the RUF tensed but then recognized Lukin's toy.
"You'll contaminate the fucking op!" Kelah hissed at him.
"It's Canissian issue," Lukin said, his moment of fun ruined by the woman's snippishness.

"Let's not waste the time Lukin bought by arguing," Blackpelt said, "Let's just move."

The RUF faded into the jungle.
ATTENTION: This account is an authorized sockpuppet belonging to Coyote. It is for the sole purpose of posting 'Bad Guy' plots and storylines in the STGODS forum.

LET THE EVIL BEGIN!!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Raj Ahten wrote:*snip*
Charlie Duquesne's expression hardened. "Mr. Christophe, the business of the NFT is business. What you expect us to do is to hand you the keys to a highly profitable NFT operation and walk away. Surely you can see why this is unacceptable. I'm afraid you're really going to have to come up with a better offer."
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

FLY TONKIN ROCKETS

The Tonkin Aero-Space Corporation provides the most reliable, most competitive, most timely launch available anywhere on the planet. With launch schedules as frequently as weekly, Tonkin's shuttles to space are the definitive solution for all your launch needs. From orbital science experiments to planetary probes to satellite launch and more, TASC is your assured gateway into space ...

TASC Rocket Propulsion Lab

" Initial testing of the first orbiter is currently behind schedule: while we have launched the vehicle our data confirms that the present thermal protection system is gross overkill. In addition, it requires extensive, labor-intensive refurbishment of the vehicle's tiles, tiles that are simply not needed. The data indicates that only the leading-edge carbon-carbon tiles are required, and we have plans to simplify their design to improve on maintenance. The hot structure is otherwise capable of re-entry. Deletion of the unnecessary tiles will grossly reduce turnaround times, perhaps to as short as two weeks, optimistically.

" Further improvements of a more radical sort include lengthening the orbiter. Expected scientific loads may exceed the orbiter's available volume: the extended-length bay will be able to accommodate these voluminous but not as massive loads.

" Our final improvement is integration of the Barbarian booster. Initial development will involve use of the five-engine Barbarian to launch the LERT, with up to six solid rocket motors attached. This will permit launching of very heavy loads, and we are considering using such a vehicle as an unmanned launcher as needed. The next stage will be to create a reusable B-I stage, ensuring that we retain a fully reusable launch system. We expect military payloads to continue to use the all-solid configuration for launch-on-alert purposes, while other missions may transition to the Barbarian stage ...

(some time later)

" In other notes, we have been asked to prepare a design study for missions to our moon. We believe that a basic Gemini I vehicle attached to the Centaur G now in development should be sufficient to launch a mission around the moon, and perhaps even land a man upon its surface ... "
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

SiegeTank wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:*snip*
Charlie Duquesne's expression hardened. "Mr. Christophe, the business of the NFT is business. What you expect us to do is to hand you the keys to a highly profitable NFT operation and walk away. Surely you can see why this is unacceptable. I'm afraid you're really going to have to come up with a better offer."
Christophe smiled slightly and said,
"Come on now. We both know the NFT is more than just a business venture. It is a political and military alliance with extremely close ties to CATO. You can't expect things between us to be as if we were both still in the FTO. Our joint military and business projects have a hell of cost domestically, not to mention internationally, and for them to continue the reactionaries want a buffer zone in case things become , ah, unpleasant. If you want the recent trade agreements and arms deals to actually get through parliament President Raj Ahten needs something really substantial to give them. Putting us in the loop, as you say, wouldn't be good enough. Not now that the FTO is finished.

And frankly I can hardly see how we could give you a better deal as it is. Indhopal has already agreed to continue to supply San Dorado with nuclear weapons despite the fact we are now a neutral nation. That right there could very well give the MESS a reason to attack. We've also just given you the mother of all arms contracts despite the fact that many other nations are quite willing to sell to us. Even Tian Xia was making offers. Then there is the fact that Indhopal agreed to complete economic integration with the NFT. Something like that never even came up when we were together in the FTO. Its another agreement that could very well jeopardize Indhopal's neutrality in the eyes of the more imperialistic MESS members.

Indhopal can do without these agreements if we need to. I'm not going to pretend that it wouldn't be expensive and painful but it could be done. If you say the NFT is all about business than do the numbers. Is the Occidental worth the friendship and treasure of Indhopal to you?"
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Diplomatic Action with Tian Xia

The Cascadian had come through once more. It appeared that they had opened the door for diplomacy between Tian Xia and Indhopal and they had recomended direct talks. President Raj Ahten agreed and decided to take the direct approach. He sent the following letter.

To: The Huand Di's Office, Tian Xia

Greetings,
For far too long Indhopal and Tian Xia have been at loggerheads over the future the Frequesue. I hope to cool tensions between our two nations. Through negotiation we should be able o come to diplomatic solution so that our two nations will become, if not friends, than not suspicious neighbors willing to use nuclear weapons over our disputes. To start Indhopal recognizes that Tian Xia has the right to a military presence on Frequesue to protect its citizens and territory. Likewise Indhopal asserts the right to protect its citizens and borders.

The most likely reason for conflict between us is the chaotic CFR. For decades its warlords have threatened the stability and safety of all their neighbors. Any move by either of us into the CFR could easily be seen as an attempt to gain an advantage over the other. I purpose that our two nations agree to inform one another when we find it necessary to engage in military activity in the CFR. If long term military action is required in the CFR I recommend joint operations for the sake of peace between us.

The above proposal is only a starting point. I look forward to a dialogue between our two nations and I urge you to be honest about any concerns you might have about Indhopal.

Sincerely,
President Raj Ahten
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Somewhere on the Transsiberian

The "Crimson Arrow" train was rapidly moving through the snowy wastelands of the Motherland.

Comrade Stanislav was in a good mood. Travelling in the jet train, he drew sights from the small politicos of the UCSR - they were amazed to see the former President going more or less incognito and without warning, on a usual Dubno-Stasograd-Sarajevo government express.
- Don't you just love the sights, Vasya? - he asked the aide who was sitting right across his place in the restaurant. - The vast plains, the steppes and the hills, and views of huge rainclouds gathering over the horizon, indicating a large cyclone ahead? Or the snowy blizzard which covers them with glowing white cover, and in the morning it pains your eyes to look out of the train window?

- I like the snow. It's a good natural camouflage, - the former Spetsnaz answered. - But you clearly meant something else. When people start talking about weather they most likely want to start a lengthy conversation about everything that's going on in the world.

- That's... sort of the answer I've been expecting, - Stanislav smiled.

- My personal opinion, comrade, is that our economy is feeling much better due to the massive ease of trade inside the CATO, as well as a stream of new deals in high-technology weapons, atomic power and such. Or at least, that's what we saw, - Vasya said. - The Continental Treaty has been a blessing in a dark hour, really - after all that huge biological war crisis. We also silenced the poorer territories, at least for the time, by giving them so much money that even the deep corruption present in these new republics cannot consume it all; and thus the people's lives there are getting better. I certainly don't like the recent news from Japanistan, but it's not like we were much safer from them before we united. Now they perceive a large threat; and they will undoubtely try to play on the existing rifts between us and the MESS... and possibly involve other nations as well.

- That's been my opinion as well, minus the idea that we're sponsoring corruption in the new republics, - Stanislav said softly, - but I will certainly ask President Shady to press on the legislature to tighten police operations there. These territories are more or less stabilized, but they are still in a stage of post-war recovery. Uprooting crime could take decades, and that's an optimistic estimate. Acting decisively there might be very important now.

Vasya took out a smoke.

- Comrade, did you watch the recent "Red Dawn" movie?

- Of course. We specifically didn't censor it... so that people can see the sort of low-quality tripe these Tonkinese "red scare" B-movies are, - the former President laughed.

- We could personally tell that to the Tonkinese when we arrive in the IRT.

- A small friendly critique, right? Kinda like a "Don't feed the lions" sign in the zoo, right? - Stanislav nodded. - It's still a few days until we arrive to Stasograd, though - our journey is just beginning. How about a game of chess?

- My pleasure, - Vasya took out a small pocket chessboard. - You'll be red or blue?

- Black... I mean, blue. I sort of forget the colors... I used to play a similar game... in my city we used to paint them black and white, for ease.

- I see. Well, my move, then, - Vasya took the pawn with his fingers.

- Your bet on who's winning before we start? - Stanislav asked.

- I'm not betting as long as I can. It always hurts to be on the wrong side of the bet, you know.

- That's right, - the former President said. - That's so right.

Result: Stanislav decides to play the incognito sudden goodwill ambassador for some time. Expect many surprise visits to various nations for a talk :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

EMMERISCHE FLIEGER
The nation's aeronautical information source since 1927

New Fighter Aircraft On Emmeria's Horizon?

The XF-29 Weissfalke; Emmeria's next heavy fighter?

The XF-28 Sturmvogel, Light Stealth Fighter

During their quarterly press conference today, Messerschmitt released promotional images and early information on Emmeria's next fighter aircraft; the XF-28 Sturmvogel and XF-29 Weissfalke, both of which are currently in development stage. These aircraft will replace the F-16 Falcon and F-15 Eagle in REN carrier service and (at a later date) all REAF air groups at a 1:1 ratio.

The Air Force and Crown have both expressed interest in procurement of these aircraft.
tiny friendly crab.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Virginia Pilot

Roark Instruments show off "Silk Steel"
Scientists working for Roark Instruments have made spider silk 5 time stronger by "metalizing" the silk.

"Although scientists have for years been making spider silk stronger by adding metal to it, this is the strongest silk yet."

Roark Instruments is working on a government contract to make stronger textiles for soldier kits and medical materials. RI is partnered with InGen, which has created transgenic goats with an extra spider-silk gene, allowing the fiber to be recovered from their milk...[More]
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion Defense

Last Hurrah for the ODA?

Even as the VII Corps disembarks in Baden and prepares to join the II Corps, Augustine II Guards Division, and Shinra X Corps in the attack on Nexus City, there are rumors that a fresh White Paper may be forthcoming that will recommend further shrinkage of the army. The Old Dominion government has made it clear that there will be a minimal amount of ground troops in Sirnoth post-war, and that the Navy and the ODAAF will be the primary guarantees of OD security in the future.

The White Paper will allegedly recommend:

(1)Upgrade and expand the coastal SOSUS around the continent of Shepland.
(2)Add between 6-8 "Light Patrol Frigates" to the Navy for maritime security and ASW operations in the Impact Crater Archipelago
(3)Add between 4-6 Crawdad class SSNs to the current program
(4)Expedite retirement of the B-56 bombers, and the F-34s.
(5)Increase the production run of the F-22B to 300 airframes
(6)Slash the active army size by 20%, warehousing over a third of the MBTs in ODA Inventory
(7)Expedite retirement of the AH-1Z
(8)Close down 1st and 2nd series bomb shelters. Continue refurbishment of 3rd and 4th series shelters, while expand the size and number of 5th series shelters.

…[More]
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

New Drone vehicle

Icarus Electronics, Kontos Munitions and MAZ are working on an unmanned drone vehicle. Designed to be a land scout, the drone is currently in mid development stage before it enters trials next year.

Acquisition plans; Domestic CFN-01 and CF-01 production to be stepped up.

Domestic production of the CFN-01 and CF-01 will be stepped up. This decision was made after it was decided that all F-15F ACTIVEs and some of their pilots would be transferred to the army. It is expected that some of the early F-22As would be placed in reserve or storage, and squadrons operating the aircraft would be transferred over to the CF-01. Squadrons operating the F-15F will be reequipped with CF-01 fighters.

The Navy also expects to have its entire stock of F/A-18E/Fs replaced over the next 3-4 years and it will receive 16 MiG SKATs per carrier. Acquisition of new CFB-01 will be also stepped up from the Sarajevo Precision Factory. The navy will procure a number of BAM's Rotarion drones.

A proposal has also been drawn up to reduce recruitment for the army and to maintain current force levels, without any increment. 3 front line Tagmata has be deemed as enough. The army indicated however that it is investing in a Future Comitatenses Program and it expects to fund many groups developing futuristic fibers that exceed Kevlar in terms of toughness and ballistic resistance. The army will be procuring BAM's line of Rotarion drones.

Airbourne Laser program efforts step up.

Artist's impression of the prototype laser on a Beriev A-50 aircraft.

The Airbourne Laser program has been stepped up and the first prototypes are expected to fly in 2018. The laser will utilize Byzantine Heavy Industries' single 100KW CW laser train instead, and will use 10 such trains to achieve 1MW of power.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Temple Prime, Sarajevo, UCSR
The young assistant entered Kane's office carrying a large stack of folders containing information about recent events in the Border Regions and the surrounding areas. She placed them on Kane's desk and smiled.

"I have good news Sir.", She said, "The mutant has been terminated. The Black Hand caught up with him in the forests of Travnik. All evidence of his escape has been removed. The murders he committed have been blamed on a serial killer, an appropriate fall guy has already been found."

"One less problem to worry about.", Kane smiled.

"Indeed Sir.", the young women said, "I have other news as well. The preparations for operation "Clean up" are complete. Our commanders in the field inform us that they are ready to begin as soon as you give the order."

"Good.", Kane smiled, "Do it."

Moments later, various locations across the Border Regions

The criminals who ran their operations in the Border Regions, had done so quietly for quite some time. They had managed to bribe and intimidate enough people to be able to operate without fear of the milicija or other law enforcement agencies. That was about to change. NOD had been acquiring information on the criminal underworld for years, in preparation for today's operation. Numerous Spetsnaz and Black Hand soldiers were spread out in key locations in the Border Regions, Operation "Clean up" was a go. They would storm houses, raid bars and companies; arresting every major criminal in one day. It would be a decapitating strike at the criminal organizations that conducted their business in the illusion of safety. It was an unprecedented crackdown on crime.

Things were about to change.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Ryan

So far, nobody seemed to have noticed that he wasn't Gero. They just called him "Ryan", or "Mr. Thunder" without missing a beat. It was bizarre.

He was touring the northern provinces with a few other Representatives, to observe the progress of the reconstruction efforts. The high-speed rail lines were nearly completed. A few hubs remained to be constructed; in the mean time the trains would have to stop at a cheap (and, admittedly, rather depressing) pre-fabricated platform, but it was better than nothing. The electric Area Transit busses and Personal Transit cars were being delivered as he arrived.

His electric limousine pulled up to the provincial headquarters with little ceremony, and he was greeted by a middle aged man and his aide. "Good morning, Representative Jang. I hope you're doing well up here."

The man grinned photogenically, "Yeah, we're doing alright. Not the best, but we're alright. How about yourself?"

"Not bad, thanks." Ryan answered, "So, not the best? Anything I could throw my weight around in the Assembly for that would help?"

"Not really, actually," Jang shrugged. "It's mostly a motivational thing. Some of us are still a little, well, bitter, frankly" he shrugged, then quickly added, "Thankfully, nothing ever comes of it."

"I understand. Well, good. If anything ever does, you know what to do." Ryan guestured towards the police station a few blocks back with his head, a curious guesture for a Miratian, but nobody seemed to notice. Jang just nodded curtly in response. "I was also wondering if you were having any problems relating to the rail line to Port North. When I heard you were having troubles with NIMBYs a year back or so, I had them re-route it around the city so as not to disturb residents with freight noise. It seemed relevant. Has that settled down now?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact it has. There's still a few eco-nuts, but you and I both know we're doing what we can. You can never get rid of those morons." he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, they're still a few retards going apeshit over all the nuclear reactors in Mirakar. Fucking morons don't seem to realize that they're actually cleaner than the wind power they want us all to rely on. But whatever. Did you get lunch yet?"
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

LIVE on ShroomSat/StratTV
The Shroomanian Scientific Society
TECHNOLOGICAL TRANSGRESSIONS

Dynamic discus

The MacMillan Multimedia has announced a new series of terabyte-memory micro-holographic discs for consumer use.

Bottled blood.

Joint Continental medical initiative sponsored by the Mushroom Organization of Medicine (MOM) and the PeZookian Health Department begins mass creation of stem cells from human blood.

Nanotech neurons.

Cybershroom Systems reveals its radical 'cyberbrain'. Using nanotechnology to integrate living brain tissue with advanced computer processors on a scale far larger than ever before, the cyberbrain is able to learn at a geometric rate...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

KHALID, KATANGWALAND

"How could I refuse?" Colonel Johan S'vimbi said, laughing. "For ninety ROBs, I get an Air Force! I paid for it out of my own pocket, too! How many world leaders can say they would do such a thing, eh?"

Colonel S'vimbi smiled broadly and waved off the concern of the Canissian Ambassador, Jak Boer. "Do not worry, Ambassador," the Colonel said, "This does not affect the special relationship we have with the Canissians. Not one whit."

"But Colonel," Ambassador Boer said, "You barely have twenty qualified pilots from the MiG-21s we gave you, and they barely count as qualified at that. Most of those planes will rust on the runways. What are you going to do with 90 of them?"

"You can have them, maybe," the Colonel said, "Or we'll use them for spare parts. Maybe sooner or later we'll have enough pilots for them all anyway, eh? How about we share some of them, perhaps-- your Legion Etrangere, perhaps can use them? Keep them in good flying shape?"

Ambassador Boer frowned, sighing. He understood why S'vimbi bought th eplanes-- they were a bargain, after all, and it made the Katangwan Air Corps the premier air force of all native Velerian nations. The prestige alone was worth a mere 90 ROBs. But the Ambassador also knew that it would be Canissia picking up the bill to maintain them, and that meant buying parts from PeZookia instead of having Canissian Aerospace getting the contract. And he knew CATO wasn't about to let Canissia liscence-build MiG-29 spares. Or would they? Maybe some parts, non-critical parts, at least, can be made at home... but the critical, and expensive, components would have come from PeZookian companies...

Good thing Canissia maintained free trade with PeZookia...

Katangwan Air Corps buys the 90 MiG-29s from PeZookia.
[OOC: Couldn't think of a good, logical reason for someone like S'vimbi to walk away from that deal.Especially since Canissia is pushing the idea that Katangwa is a 'partner state' rather than a 'puppet state'...]
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Darth Coyotus wrote:FENRAVEN, INDHOPAL
Ambassador Hokuzai smiled warmly.

"Of course," he siad, "I understand perfectly how delicate the political situation is. I had hoped that Japanistan's existing ties with the IRT would provide a calming effect on the situation, but..." he let the comment hang.

"As for trade, I think it is indeed long past time we opened up to more cooperation. I can arrange a friendship visit with my superiors, who will be eager to partake of such a gesture. Some of the trade we are most interested in is agricultural in nature. You have more grasslands here for supporting cattle grazing, yes..?"
The President responded,
"Again I must thank Japanistan for its offer in regards to Klavostan and the IRT. I must say that situation has reached a satisfactory conclusion. The proper heir is on the throne and the treacherous Janissary Corps are finished.

As to trade relations, you've come to the right place; Indhopal is the world leader in agricultural science. I'm sure our ranchers will be eager to fulfill Japanistan's needs."

Result: door is open for trade and the Klavostan situation is "good enough" for Indhopal.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Diplomatic Communique to the Empire of Japanistan

Tonkin and Japanistan were once major trade partners in the years before the Great Biowar. Joint technological development from aerospace to nuclear to radar all flourished. Both sides have felt the effects of the sudden loss of international trade after the Great War. As the foreign blocs such as CATO and the MESS seek to isolate the remaining independent powers, Tonkin seeks to renew our once fertile trade ties. Together we can strengthen our economies and our security against the imperialists.

Klavostan

The situation had calmed, security restored, rebuilding begun. Tonkin corporations, consultants and civil servants (the line often blurred between those) immediately flooded the civil government apparatus of the country in the name of the Sultan. Resistance was quietly quashed as Tonkinese professional management noted that their contract was in the name of the Sultan - and that non-cooperation would imply the Sultan had judged poorly. Needless to say, after some more quiet meetings, the locals ceased.

But, to their surprise? No mass layoffs, firings, replacement with outsiders. No, instead, training began. Mass training of high caliber. New equipment, supplies. In short, every civil servant in Klavostan had just become an employee of a Tonkinese corporation, and Tonkin treated employee training very seriously. Efficiency and productivity was what led the IRT to become such an economic titan. And now - the inefficient, somewhat-corrupt government of Klavostan would be transformed into a sleek, efficient machine.

Meanwhile, other efforts we being conducted. The IRT's deal with Indhopal, the Janissaries and the Mercenaries ceded control of the civil authority and the economy. The goal was to transform Klavostan into nothing less than an efficient, productive economic engine, one to rival San Dorado. And a rival that would grow so far, so fast that the mercenaries would find themselves increasingly marginalized.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Baernish Ministry of War
Subministry of Procurement
Special Report - Standard Trooper-Oriented Universal Mechanic (STORM)
TO: Ministry of War; CATO

-BDA Colonel Cody demonstrates a camouflage-painted suit of the new STORM armor.

In response to the recent spate of impractical, ineffective body armors put forward by various nations, we at the Ministry of Procurement offer our own next-generation battle armor. It is designed to offer full NBC protection, as well as to be highly resistant to small arms fire and shrapnel. Viewers will note the lack of exposed tubing in the ventilation system, which is fully contained within the helmet.

Also present are optical-enhancement devices integrated directly into the visor. The main features are night-vision and magnification, though other systems may be developed later. A small backpack-style battery provides enough power for 76 hours of continuous operation, and can be recharged at most standard generators.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Raj Ahten wrote:Diplomatic Action with Tian Xia

To: Presiden Raj Ahten

Tian Xia will recognize the right of Indhopal to a military presence in Frequesque to protect its citizens and territory. Tian Xia would, of course, not dream of making it necessary for Indhopal to protect it's borders, unless, of course, Indhopal presented sufficient cause.

The Huang Di does not believe that joint operations are necessary at this time. We believe it would reduce the perception of your neutrality, which we believe to be unwise at this time. If Tian Xia undertakes operations closer than 100 miles from the mandate in the CFR declared by the FTO before it's dissolution, we will inform your government before the operation commences.

// SIGNED //
Eric Doyle
Secretary of Foreign Affairs
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan