nBSG Force Sub: Choose a new Galactica

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Re: nBSG Force Sub: Choose a new Galactica

Post by Lancer »

How about a Tausugennian Ob'enn Thunderhead class Superfortress?
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Lancer wrote:How about a Tausugennian Ob'enn Thunderhead class Superfortress?
That would probably be as potent for these purposes as a Star Destroyer. The amount of missile-spam that even smaller ships like the Serial Peacemaker can deal with through teraporting and shields is considerable, and I think the yields are higher in the Schlockiverse too. The fabber on that thing is ridiculous, and it could shelter most (all?) of the fleet within its docking bays.

That's not even getting into the crazy firepower. And if Petey can't deal with a little Cylon hacking I'll eat my proverbial hat.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Kodiak wrote:I must confess, I wasn't a big BSG fan. B4 is 7.5km long, so if that makes it too big, I capitulate and submit for your approval The SDF-1
I'll see your SDF-1 and raise you a dedicated fleet defender: the New Macross-class transformable battle carrier.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Silly Picks:

-A Manticorian pinnace, Commanded by Honor Harrington.

With character shields that good, and Mary-sueism that blatant, you can't lose.

-The Enterprise NX-01 Commanded by Captain Jonathan "Moron" Archer

-Failing that, the NESA Protector, with Commander Peter Quincy Taggart in charge.

-Admiral "Sucks worse than Cain" Daala and a Star Destroyer. (She'd lose it in a week)

-HMS Surprise Captained by "Lucky Jack" Aubrey. He gets Richard Sharpe and Patrick Harper to command the Marines. Just don't ask me how the ship got into space in the first place. Or how they're gonna breathe Vacuum. On the other hand, if they need to replace a mast, it's easy. If they can find a tree in the Black.

Serious picks:

1) Peacekeeper Command Carrier, Commanded by either Scorpious or Bilar Crais

2)Dreadnought Pergerine, commanded by Garm Bel Iblis

3)Asgard O'Neill-Class Warship captained by Thor, Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet

4)Cardassian Galor-Class Warship captained by Elim Garak. It's amazing what a simple tailor can do, isn't it?

5)Proztentic Vogon Jeltz and a Vogon Constructor Ship.

"Your Resurrection hub has been scheduled for demolition to pave the way for a hyperspace bypass- No, No, It's no use arguing, the plans have been in your local office for a whole fifty years. Never heard of it? Preposterous. the Demolition goes ahead as planned. God wouldn't allow this, eh? well, I suppose you'll get to take it up with him in a bit.

Apathetic bloody robots. Energise the demolition beams."

6) Wraith Squadron, Wedge Antilles commanding and the (modified) Corellian Corvette Night Caller. By the end of it, they'll have their own Base ship or several.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Well I think it'd be pretty interesting to see what would have happened had the Galactica been another pegasus class ship.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Oh, we're allowed silly picks? Fine. The John F. Kennedy-class space carrier USS Saratoga from Space: Above and Beyond, with its full airwing of SA-43 Hammerheads, of course.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

tim31 wrote:Oh, we're allowed silly picks? Fine. The John F. Kennedy-class space carrier USS Saratoga from Space: Above and Beyond, with its full airwing of SA-43 Hammerheads, of course.
Actually, that would be fucking awesome. They're perfectly suited for the role.

a) they're used to fighting against killer fucking robots.

b) they're used to fighting against killer fucking things that aren't technically human.

c) they continue the proud tradition of having the super-pilot corps who do every mission no matter what it is. Wha? You need to assault a prison transport? Put a pilot in charge of the operation, not one of the Marines who, you know - do this shit for a living.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

All of the above is true but at least Galactica had some ventral point defense coverage? Good thing the Chigs liked to attack from above :lol:

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Remember, about the size of Galactica. So we're talking 1.4 Km. No command carriers, unfortunately. I'd say 'about' runs to maybe 1.6, allowing in Star Destroyers, Beliskners (by the last scaling I saw) and anything smaller.

You could have Emperor Staleek's flagship from Peacekeeper Wars perhaps. But command carriers are five mile monstrosities.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
His Divine Shadow

Where does that put the Pegasus?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I've seen it said to be 1.6xx Km, but not any proper scaling. I'd say it's 'roughly' the same size, though.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Well I think it'd be pretty interesting to see what would have happened had the Galactica been another pegasus class ship.
Shoot just doing that would have probably changed the outcome drastically, I like the idea
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

What would've been interesting is if the Pegasus itself replaced the Galactica, the Galactica itself being sacrificed instead of letting Lee "I like throwing away humanity's most valuable asset to save daddy" Adama command it to it's doom.
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Of course, if you replace Galactica with Pegasus, the cylons computer-rape it, unless Adama's been going around ripping out networking cables.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Destructionator XIII wrote:[...]
What happens if the cylons shoot it with a nuke from a short range raider jump?
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote:Well I think it'd be pretty interesting to see what would have happened had the Galactica been another pegasus class ship.
Shoot just doing that would have probably changed the outcome drastically, I like the idea
Yes, it would. Galactica would have had the Command Navigation Program installed and all its computers networked, so it would have been lost along with the rest of the fleet during the initial Cylon attack.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
His Divine Shadow

RedImperator wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Yes, it would. Galactica would have had the Command Navigation Program installed and all its computers networked, so it would have been lost along with the rest of the fleet during the initial Cylon attack.
We'd just need some other excuse as to why Galactica survived then, like paranoid old Adama forcibly cutting networking links and making stuff work manually, or they never got the infected software with the backdoors because Adama didn't like where it was going and kept making excuses to get it updated and so they just got lucky one way or another.
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

NecronLord wrote:Of course, if you replace Galactica with Pegasus, the cylons computer-rape it, unless Adama's been going around ripping out networking cables.
It survived well enough until Lee kamikazed it into a Basestar didn't it?
Besides the Galactica wasn't entirely immune to Cylon hacking either.
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I would second the choice of the Kuun-Lan, from Homeworld: Cataclysm. Oh, we're near an asteroid field? Let's make a quick detour and build like 80 gajillion ships. Oh, Cylons are trying to hack us? Hacking research is now available! Resurrection ship? That sounds like a good idea, resurrection technology is now available for research! Oh, they're sending a swarm of ships to attack us? Fire the siege cannon.

I mean, even without the stupidly awesome research capabilities, the sheer industrial power of the Kuun-Lan (without game-balance limitations) means that within a couple months (Ha! Weeks more likely!) the Colonials will be kicking in the door with a shiny new fleet of dreadnoughts.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I just want to see the look on a Cylons face the first time that the Colonials respond to a Basestar attack by launching a Salvage Corvette swarm to capture it.
His Divine Shadow

Darth Onasi wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Of course, if you replace Galactica with Pegasus, the cylons computer-rape it, unless Adama's been going around ripping out networking cables.
I got the impression that the cylons überhacking wouldn't have been so über if they hadn't infiltrated them and put backdoors in the software to begin with. From what I remember of the pegasus episodes they where in dry dock for upgrades when the shit hit the fan, which to me suggests they didn't have the time to be compromised with faulty software.
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Darth Onasi wrote:
I got the impression that the cylons überhacking wouldn't have been so über if they hadn't infiltrated them and put backdoors in the software to begin with. From what I remember of the pegasus episodes they where in dry dock for upgrades when the shit hit the fan, which to me suggests they didn't have the time to be compromised with faulty software.
That's how I understood it; the Galactica had the Command Navigation Program but no networked computers, the Pegasus had networked computers but no CNP yet.
In any case the surviving Viper VIIs all had their software retrograded so even if the Pegasus did have it, given enough time they would have purged it.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I thought I recalled lines from Razor in which Kendra Shaw and team have found the backdoor and countered it as per Cain's orders.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

tim31 wrote:I thought I recalled lines from Razor in which Kendra Shaw and team have found the backdoor and countered it as per Cain's orders.
You did. Pegasus had the CNP but no active networks, they were shut down due to refit.

During the aftermath of the attack Kendra finds the back doors gets rid of the CNP but also recommends Pegasus doesn't bring her networks back online due to possibility of hacking.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

^ What Crazedwraith said; all in all, Pegasus got pretty lucky - if they hadn't been down for refit, they'd have gotten slagged. If the Cylon's hadn't sent a Six aboard with their Centurions, Shaw probably wouldn't have realized what was going on... and they'd have gotten slagged.