Tau in the Old Republic era Star Wars galaxy

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Tau in the Old Republic era Star Wars galaxy

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, the Tau Empire as of 40,999 (including the Kroot Worlds, Vespid worlds, Gue'las and such with it, as well as the Farsight) is picked up from the Warhammer 40,000 universe and deposited in the star Wars galaxy. They arrive the year 50 BBY on the Outer Rim of the Star Wars galaxy, well outside the juristiction of the Galactic Republic and far from Hutt Space, the Chiss or any other minor power of note. Earth Caste scientific systems are capable of detecting the fact that they have been moved, and those of the Galactic Republic are capable of detecting the sudden arrival of the new star systems. At the same time, the process of being displaced dropped a few dozen Star Wars intact Hyperdrive equiped spacecraft out of hyperspace in stable orbit above T'au with their crews in a condition adequately discribed as very dead. No force sensitives saw this comming.

What happens?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Tau in the Old Republic era Star Wars galaxy

Post by Samuel »

The Tau join the Old Republic. I don't see any reason to fight and the Tau can probably spread "The Greater Good" amoung the Republic if they are members- after all, the requirements are probably light.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Samuel wrote:The Tau join the Old Republic. I don't see any reason to fight and the Tau can probably spread "The Greater Good" amoung the Republic if they are members- after all, the requirements are probably light.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Tau became impatient with the Republic's likely lack of co-operation with the fundamental ideas of the greater good, though.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

How long would it take them to collapse socially, given an open galaxy? Tau can just jump on a plane and live elsewhere.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

How long would it take them to collapse socially, given an open galaxy? Tau can just jump on a plane and live elsewhere.
Who knows? They've got very strong propaganda and indoctrination, and their religious leaders have got what is probably some sort of engineered physiological hack for controlling their subjects.

*shrug* how long is a piece of string?
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

How long does it take them to overcome their primitiveness? The Old Republic as of the prequel era was ruled by evil megacorporations; they probably find them a nice prospect for colonial subjects a new market.

Otherwise, the Republic probably leaves them alone. As probably, the Empire, when it comes around, does not.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

white_rabbit wrote: Who knows? They've got very strong propaganda and indoctrination, and their religious leaders have got what is probably some sort of engineered physiological hack for controlling their subjects.
If they do join the OR, at a bare minimum the Tau will have to accept visits from its members. Short of aggressively enforcing all their borders, they will not be able to contain the spread of technology; the apparently ubiquitous Hoersch-Kessel drive and the hyperdrive will then quickly proliferate. At that point any dissenters (and I cannot believe their indoctrination is 100% foolproof; no system is) can essentially leave the Tau at will and, if they're feeling vindictive, spill the beans on just what type of mind control the Tau want to foist upon the rest of the galaxy.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Hoth wrote:How long does it take them to overcome their primitiveness?
Explain?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I doubt they'd join the Republic, at least not honestly. They'd maybe "join" under the pretense of attempting to undermine the Republic from within, but I doubt they are large enough to pull that off without drawing attention to themselves.

Most likely is having them sitting in the Outer Rim trying to pull in worlds there - there are either (depending on who you ask) placese the REpublic does not claim territory to, or placecs they do but are essentially lawless and uncontrolled. Of course, the problem then is that they might run across groups like the Trade Federation, who wouldn't look kindly upon them (IE interlopers) and try to either conquer them or just crush them utterly.

The one thing that is certain is that the Tau will lack the whole "isolated on the fringes of the galaxy" advantage that helps them against the Imperium (and hampers the Imperium, esp post 5th edition), so contact of one form or another is guaranteed.
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

NecronLord wrote:
Explain?
I believe he's referring to the fact that in most if not all ways, the Tau are behind the SW technological 8-ball.

I would think that of all the 40k races that Tau are the race most likely to successfully adapt to SW. Their ideology allows them to play the long game against (or with) aliens, and they are willing and able to absorb other races' tech in a systematic fashion. They are not bound to warp based tech and will therefore suffer no disadvantage if the SW universe doesn't have one, apart from needing to update their propulsion tech, which the OP has provided them.
Connor MacLeod wrote:I doubt they'd join the Republic, at least not honestly. They'd maybe "join" under the pretense of attempting to undermine the Republic from within, but I doubt they are large enough to pull that off without drawing attention to themselves.
I agree, but I wonder whether they'd get the chance. Star systems appearing out of nowhere with no presentiment in the Force will certainly pique the Jedi's interest, and one would think the Republic at large would get involved too. Would the Jedi detect and understand the effects of the Ethereal pheromone gland? Would they understand the purpose of the "communion helm" given to the Vespid? Would they leave without talking to anyone from the Farsight enclave? I do not believe the answer to all these questions would be no.

Personally, I just want to see what happens when the Kroot eat a Jedi. :twisted:
English is truly a Chaotic language; it will mutate at the drop of a hat, unmercifully rend words from other languages, spreads like the fabled plagues of old and has bastard children with any other dialect it can get its grubby little syntax on.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

NecronLord wrote:
Explain?
I was referring to their technology, which is generally considerably weaker than SW standards (and is certainly inferior in transportation and communications). I know too little about their social system to say anything definitive on that, though I gather they are a caste-based society enforced by mind control.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Interesting question : Do the Tau, being from another universe with another set of laws, even register in the Force, or are they absence, like the Yuzong Vong? Furthermore, seeing as they have souls in the 40k sense, do they bring the warp with them?
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

open_sketchbook wrote:Interesting question : Do the Tau, being from another universe with another set of laws, even register in the Force, or are they absence, like the Yuzong Vong? Furthermore, seeing as they have souls in the 40k sense, do they bring the warp with them?
We can only speculate. However, multiple sources say that Tau souls register little to zero in the warp. They certainly have zero psychic abilities in game, and while perhaps more reliable, their form of warp travel is much slower, as they have nothing approximating the Imperium's Navigators.
English is truly a Chaotic language; it will mutate at the drop of a hat, unmercifully rend words from other languages, spreads like the fabled plagues of old and has bastard children with any other dialect it can get its grubby little syntax on.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Everything that exists in the SW universe is part of the Force, including the Vong (though they are invisible to the spectrum most Jedi see; sheer magic is the only way to explain their retarded "technology" anyhow). We have ample examples from NJO of Force powers affecting Vong, and not just Jacen/Vergere wank.

-George "Evil" Lucas
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

bobnik wrote:
open_sketchbook wrote:Interesting question : Do the Tau, being from another universe with another set of laws, even register in the Force, or are they absence, like the Yuzong Vong? Furthermore, seeing as they have souls in the 40k sense, do they bring the warp with them?
We can only speculate. However, multiple sources say that Tau souls register little to zero in the warp. They certainly have zero psychic abilities in game, and while perhaps more reliable, their form of warp travel is much slower, as they have nothing approximating the Imperium's Navigators.
They definately do NOT have zero warp signature - only a very weak one. Thats a huge difference.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Darth Hoth wrote:Everything that exists in the SW universe is part of the Force, including the Vong (though they are invisible to the spectrum most Jedi see; sheer magic is the only way to explain their retarded "technology" anyhow). We have ample examples from NJO of Force powers affecting Vong, and not just Jacen/Vergere wank.
Also there's that whole rebond with the child planet of their parent planet and suddenly show up in the Force' bit.

We know of at least 2 Force-Sensitive Vong. (The unnamed on Lumiya encountered, and Omni)

And finally, when Anakin Solo gave himself over full to the Force, he could feel, sense, and affect the Vong.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

bobnik wrote:
including the Kroot Worlds, Vespid worlds, Gue'las and such with it,
Well, fun with Choas is always good, especially when you end up with the Sith getting their souls eaten.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

There's no chaos on those worlds.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

NecronLord wrote:There's no chaos on those worlds.
No, but they carry a presence in the warp. Isn't the warp a relection of reality? Given that in 50 years there is going to be an extremely bloodly and violent war, the warp is going to get very dark very quckly.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Not going to make chaos gods. The Eldar were a galactic civilization practicing widespread child sacrifice and violent rape on a daily basis - and they still didn't create a dark god until they enacted a 'create a god' ritual.
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

Slaanesh wasn't created by a single ritual, it was millennia upon millenia of depraved activities that did it. While there may or may not be a Chaos presence amongst the moved worlds, we have no way of telling whether there is a Warp in the SW galaxy/universe.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Well, we better hope some vestigial warp forms with the Empire's arrival, or, well, it won't be pretty for the Tau Empire. Things don't tend to go too well for 40k residents without souls.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

open_sketchbook wrote:Well, we better hope some vestigial warp forms with the Empire's arrival, or, well, it won't be pretty for the Tau Empire. Things don't tend to go too well for 40k residents without souls.
True, but my point is that they aren't in 40k anymore, so who knows what rules apply?

For the Tau, lack of warp is only a problem for their starship propulsion, and the OP already fixed that. For the humans and other species I'm not sure, but as most human psykers are mothing but trouble without proper training. lack of warp might do them good.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

NecronLord wrote:Not going to make chaos gods. The Eldar were a galactic civilization practicing widespread child sacrifice and violent rape on a daily basis - and they still didn't create a dark god until they enacted a 'create a god' ritual.
Except that we have a whole universe to fuel whatever comes up, not just part of one galaxy (okay, depends on how adding the warp works). All we need is a crazy group of insane fanatics who live in a society obcessed with pain, slavery and violence. Or wars that kill hundreds of trillions of people.
bobnik wrote:
open_sketchbook wrote:Well, we better hope some vestigial warp forms with the Empire's arrival, or, well, it won't be pretty for the Tau Empire. Things don't tend to go too well for 40k residents without souls.
True, but my point is that they aren't in 40k anymore, so who knows what rules apply?

For the Tau, lack of warp is only a problem for their starship propulsion, and the OP already fixed that. For the humans and other species I'm not sure, but as most human psykers are mothing but trouble without proper training. lack of warp might do them good.
They would be like Jedi, except much more common. I'm pretty sure that the number of psychers is much higher per person than force ability in Star Wars- you have entire species that have so few members it only pops up occasionally, while 40K has enough that they have to send ships on occasion to every world. Of course, this cold be biased based on the Jedi ignoring people with slight ability, while the Inquisition cannot.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Samuel wrote:Except that we have a whole universe to fuel whatever comes up, not just part of one galaxy (okay, depends on how adding the warp works). All we need is a crazy group of insane fanatics who live in a society obcessed with pain, slavery and violence. Or wars that kill hundreds of trillions of people.
You are completely missing how ridiculously difficult it was for the Eldar to make Slaanesh. Their vast empire was devoted to hedonism for centuries, if not millennia. It would take slightly more than a 'crazy group of insane fanatics' to conjour up a God. Even emotion and though coalescing into a daemon is rare in 40k. Star Wars does not have the Immaterium, anyway. It would be best to ignore this silly line of reasoning.
Samuel wrote:They would be like Jedi, except much more common. I'm pretty sure that the number of psychers is much higher per person than force ability in Star Wars- you have entire species that have so few members it only pops up occasionally, while 40K has enough that they have to send ships on occasion to every world.
Why would the acts of the Imperium, made up of a species which is significantly more psychic than the Tau and their client species, matter in this case? Have you ever even heard of a Kroot psyker?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.