nBSG ep 4.15: "No Exit" Talkback (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate This Episode

Poll ended at 2009-02-27 09:55pm

69%
21%
9%
No votes
1%

Total votes: 81

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Re: nBSG ep 4.15: "No Exit" Talkback (SPOILERS)

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Anguirus wrote:-What will become of Anders? The end of the episode is certainly rather ominous...but the doctors are convinced he'll be fine.
IIRC, they thought he might be fine before Anders was actually hooked up to an EEG and Ms. Bedside Manner told Starbuck he was brain dead.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Phantasee wrote:
xerex wrote:
Aeolus wrote:No one has mentioned that "angels" came to the 5 and warned them that Earth was going to get nuked. head 6/head baltar?
oh yeah forgot about that. some saw a man, some saw a woman.
HOLY SHIT

MIND BLOWN

dots connecting

Yeah, that fits: but then what would Baltar's role be? Definitely not "Daniel", because he's not an artist.

Unless they meant 'con artist'.
What?

I'm not getting that. Is that from Razor? Also: Guardians?

Thanks for writing that up, MarshalPurnell.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ Dude, I don't know if you can HAVE that bad of a bedside manner. Even on this show. Cottle flat out tells Starbuck "He's going to live." And then Starbuck's talking to Anders and Ishay says "He can't hear you. There's almost no brain activity" or some such. Sounds more like he's comatose...temporarily, one hopes.

Considering how much of a send-off they give characters like Cally, Kat, Gaeta...I think if they were for-reals killing Anders that would have made it a bit more of a moment. But hey, we'll see next week (or when Ron does his podcast).
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

"If you'll excuse me, I have people to kill."

God, I love Cavill; still my favorite of the 12 Models.

Anyway, great episode, and at last, answers to many questions we've had for over 5 years. The final episodes are still chugging along very well. If Moore and company can keep this up, it looks like it'll be finishing as strongly as it began.

5/5
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

So I think I've got a pet theory on the "Daniel" thing,

its starbucks dad,

-She looked like she recognized the name.
-He was an "artist" what we know about Starbucks dad? he painted and played piano.
-If Starbucks dad was a Cylon, he'd be able to use the "Resurrection" technology on his daughter, saving her and leading her to Earth.

Although I'm a little foggy on the corruption thing, they only had the original so they were never mass produced right?
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

We really need a transcript of Cavil's 'I want to smell x-rays' monologue, because that was some top-notch villainy right there.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:We really need a transcript of Cavil's 'I want to smell x-rays' monologue, because that was some top-notch villainy right there.
That's not how it goes. It's more like 'I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to smell ... dark matter.'

I really liked it. It really conveyed his position on the matter despite being pretty silly.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Anguirus wrote:-What will become of Anders? The end of the episode is certainly rather ominous...but the doctors are convinced he'll be fine.
IIRC, they thought he might be fine before Anders was actually hooked up to an EEG and Ms. Bedside Manner told Starbuck he was brain dead.
My thinking is that by poking around his head they managed to trigger the Cylon download mechanism, which as a protection against brain damage wipes out the current brain and dumps it into a new body before it can be corrupted (its speculation, but pretty logical to do if you are essentially an computer-upload race at this point).

Anyway, great infodump episode. The pieces are really coming into place...
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

I do wonder why the Thirteenth Tribe Cylons would give up immortality for procreation. Perhaps after who knows how many lifetimes they got tired of living, but might their descendants not want a chance to grow tired of life instead of being forced to die after a few decades? They traveled a fair distance from Kobol, so they could colonize other planets if their civilization became too crowded.

If Cavil was able to program the other models not to think about the Five, why didn't he just erase their knowledge all together?

It feels like they just came up with a thirteenth (more accurately eighth) model to explain either Thrace or Baltar. I'll be shocked if Daniel has nothing to do with either of them.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Alex Moon wrote:I feel sorry for Ellen. It's like a parent who discovers that their child has committed a terrible crime.
Worse, her child's "teenaged rebellion" was to murder 20 billion people. What happened is becoming clear. It seems that Cavil raged against the humanity that Ellen and the other Four forced on him that he decided to kill all humans exactly because the Five Creators (it seems odd to call the first five Cylons "the Final Five") wanted them to love human beings and have the human experience.
I wonder if Cavil was ever a machine like a Centurion or something or if he was born as he was. Ellen alluded to him having some nasty "childhood" memories, wonder if that would then be from his time as a machine slave on the colonies?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Turin
Jedi Master

Post by Turin »

Daniel is Starbuck, guys. And Cavil knows it -- I suspect he's the only one who knows at this point (although we'll find out Ellen learns next episode, I suspect). Remember how Ellen was saying what a sadist Cavil was? He interfered with the genetic material of the Daniel line, corrupting it. But let's say his corruption was imperfect and he fucked up the material enough that it was salvageable but now female. For starters, it would be a funny little tweak at the whole "OMG, Starbuck's a girl!" crowd. But the memories that Starbuck has implanted of her past include a really fucked up and destructive relationship with her mother. Cavil was jealous of Daniel's relationship with Ellen, and what better way to get his revenge?

Now the question is "where did Starbuck resurrect?" And I get the feeling we're going to find out next episode with wherever Ellen went.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

MarshalPurnell wrote:(Daniel, incidentally, is the Old Testament prophet most closely associated with visions of the Apocalypse. Take from that what you will...)
The episode was actually rather loaded with Christian mythological symbolism. The more striking one was when Cavil tells Boomer to spend some time with Ellen to learn all about why she was made so frakked up. Ellen tells her to listen for herself and come to the truth on her own... and offers her an apple.

Did they explain in the episode that the Centurions were based on the mind of a human? I kind of like the idea that religion was something the Centurions came to on their own, not something that was built into them.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Gil Hamilton wrote: Did they explain in the episode that the Centurions were based on the mind of a human? I kind of like the idea that religion was something the Centurions came to on their own, not something that was built into them.
No, that comes from the new Caprica series and hasn't been revealed on BSG. They may not get into the Caprica material on this show. I wonder if we will see "angels" in Caprica. Given the design similarity between the "earth" and Colonial Centurions, there needs to be some sort of connection. I wonder if the the "earth' Cylons used that word too, since the reveals for Caprica explain how the word was coined in the Colonies.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Fucking awesome episode.

Galactica serves as a metaphor for the human race and the Rebel Cylon relationship now - she needs the Cylon resin if she's going to hold it together.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Vympel wrote:Fucking awesome episode.

Galactica serves as a metaphor for the human race and the Rebel Cylon relationship now - she needs the Cylon resin if she's going to hold it together.

props to EJO . Adama's reactions to seeing his ship falling apart were truly moving.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Johonebesus wrote:No, that comes from the new Caprica series and hasn't been revealed on BSG. They may not get into the Caprica material on this show. I wonder if we will see "angels" in Caprica. Given the design similarity between the "earth" and Colonial Centurions, there needs to be some sort of connection. I wonder if the the "earth' Cylons used that word too, since the reveals for Caprica explain how the word was coined in the Colonies.
I didn't know that was out yet. I thought that premiered in April.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Something that occurs to me is that the thought that Earth was colonized by Cylons specifically might well be a matter of definition. For all intents and purposes, Earth could well have been populated simply by genetically enhanced human beings. Since the "Final Five" created the Cylons based on Earth stock, they could have gotten a false positive on Earth's population because they were looking for differences between Cylon stock and Twelve Colonies human stock. The difference is subtle. Not all the population of Earth were Cylons, but rather all Cylons were based on the population of Earth.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Johonebesus wrote:No, that comes from the new Caprica series and hasn't been revealed on BSG. They may not get into the Caprica material on this show. I wonder if we will see "angels" in Caprica. Given the design similarity between the "earth" and Colonial Centurions, there needs to be some sort of connection. I wonder if the the "earth' Cylons used that word too, since the reveals for Caprica explain how the word was coined in the Colonies.
I didn't know that was out yet. I thought that premiered in April.
It actually doesn't start airing until 2010, although they're releasing the pilot on DVD in April.

But Sci-Fi has revealed enough information about the show's premise and background over the last year or so to put all this stuff together.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Anguirus wrote:But hey, we'll see next week (or when Ron does his podcast).
For the record - the podcast is up.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Something that occurs to me is that the thought that Earth was colonized by Cylons specifically might well be a matter of definition. For all intents and purposes, Earth could well have been populated simply by genetically enhanced human beings. Since the "Final Five" created the Cylons based on Earth stock, they could have gotten a false positive on Earth's population because they were looking for differences between Cylon stock and Twelve Colonies human stock. The difference is subtle. Not all the population of Earth were Cylons, but rather all Cylons were based on the population of Earth.
They are not just genetically enhanced since they can connect to fiber optic cables and interface directly with Colonial computers.
Spoiler
According to interviews, fifty years before BSG the Colonies were troubled with monotheistic terrorists. A young lady named Zoe was seduced and converted by a cult member. The two created computer copies of their personalities and then ran away together, but the fellow committed a suicide bombing, killing the girl and innocent bystanders. Zoe's father built a robot to carry the her copied personality, and so was born the first prototype Cylon. She's been referred to as the Cylon Eve. I haven't seen official statements that the Cylons got their religion from her though. That seems to be just an inference.

The One True God doesn't sound very loving and merciful. Why would Helen believe the Cylon god was so benevolent if his human followers were terrorists? I wonder if the Cylons did inherit their faith from Zoe or if they encountered god or "angels" later. There must be some sort of active intervention by someone besides the Five for Colonial Cylons to look so much like "earth" Cylons.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Found it! Awesome dialogue:
Cavil: Have you ever seen a star supernova? Well, i have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the universe. Other stars, other planets, and eventually, other life.

A supernova. Creation itself. I was there. I wanted to see it. And be part of the moment.

And you know how i perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull. With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the em spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!

Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!

I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!

And why?!

Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Making such a monologue work is something only a great actor can do, IMO.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

*head explodes*

This episode is too much concentrated awesome to safely describe in words.

That is all I can say for now. Thoughts and speculations to follow once the euphoria wears off...
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Johonebesus wrote:They are not just genetically enhanced since they can connect to fiber optic cables and interface directly with Colonial computers.
Have we seen anyone other than Eights actually do that? I'm saying that the current 8 (7) Cylon models are based on Earth populations and suggesting that the reason they thought that all the people on Earth were Cylons is because they are comparing them to the modern Cylons and Colonial humans.

Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ According to Jane Espenson, the only reason that we didn't see a Six do it in the webisodes is because scheduling conflicts prevented Tricia Helfer from participating. And the webisodes were conceptualized after the series ended.

So yeah, all the 1-8 Cylons can do that. Which, again, fits with Leoben's "silica pathways."
For the record - the podcast is up.
That was fast! Ok, off to the SciFi website...
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Anguirus wrote:^ According to Jane Espenson, the only reason that we didn't see a Six do it in the webisodes is because scheduling conflicts prevented Tricia Helfer from participating. And the webisodes were conceptualized after the series ended.

So yeah, all the 1-8 Cylons can do that. Which, again, fits with Leoben's "silica pathways."
I don't doubt that 1-8 can do it. However, I question whether that trait come from Ellen and the others or it came from Cavil.