Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 05:37pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Posts: 13769
Location: Looking for another drawer
Phased matter most certainly does interact with unphased matter, as evidenced by people NOT asphyxiating within minutes while they're phased. Phased matter merely has a reduced ability to interact with unphased matter so it's entirely possible that, say, extremely dense armour would still stop phased projectiles.
Phased matter also most definitely interacts with unphased energy as evidenced by phased people NOT being blind (Let's just ignore the pesky gravity issue for the moment) so again, it's not a matter (no pun intended) of NO interaction so much as REDUCED interaction which again means there's a good possibility shields, especially ones considerably more powerful than the ones the phasing projectiles were designed to deal with, would stop them.



'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 06:29pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
Batman wrote:
Phased matter most certainly does interact with unphased matter, as evidenced by people NOT asphyxiating within minutes while they're phased. Phased matter merely has a reduced ability to interact with unphased matter so it's entirely possible that, say, extremely dense armour would still stop phased projectiles.
Phased matter also most definitely interacts with unphased energy as evidenced by phased people NOT being blind (Let's just ignore the pesky gravity issue for the moment) so again, it's not a matter (no pun intended) of NO interaction so much as REDUCED interaction which again means there's a good possibility shields, especially ones considerably more powerful than the ones the phasing projectiles were designed to deal with, would stop them.

So it basically works like anti-gravity in that it too does not totally cancel gravity but reduces it's effects so an object then in both SW and SG levitate instead of just shooting straight like a rocket and keep going and going and well going! But that implies that the level of interaction can probably be adjusted just as it happens with anti-gravity so again we are back at maybe it could work, maybe it could not... Very interesting though thx! :D



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 06:47pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Posts: 13769
Location: Looking for another drawer
Actually thanks to knowing essentially nothing about how phasing technology works in the first place wether or not the degree of interaction can be adjusted AT ALL, leave alone the range within which it can (and if it would eventually matter to begin with) is completely up for grabs.



'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 07:09pm
Offline
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 06:30am
Posts: 25593
Location: The Lost City
PunkMaister wrote:
There is only one instance in the whole Stargate franchise where the so called shield frequencies
Wrong. There are at least two. In Tangent and Revelations. That's right off the top of my head.



Superior Moderator - BotM - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 07:47pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
Batman wrote:
Actually thanks to knowing essentially nothing about how phasing technology works in the first place wether or not the degree of interaction can be adjusted AT ALL, leave alone the range within which it can (and if it would eventually matter to begin with) is completely up for grabs.

Well yes for the most part but we do know from the show that the phasing does vary as evidenced when Carter and Cameron where phased by an Ancient device made by Merlin, Jackson could not see them because it was either a different dimension, frequency, level or something in that order. So that it could be adjusted remains a possibility. We simply don't know...

NecronLord wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
There is only one instance in the whole Stargate franchise where the so called shield frequencies
Wrong. There are at least two. In Tangent and Revelations. That's right off the top of my head.


Well I could only remember one but still the point is that it something that has very rarely been used in the show which means is not a way to penetrate shields that is readily available as it is in say Trek. thus it's very unlikely drones would try to get at shields this way...



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 08:12pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2006-03-13 09:04am
Posts: 1467
Location: Scotland
Since the Ancients were unable to one-shot hive ships with drones then either the Wraith employed some sort of counter measure, perhaps this is the measure that was responsible for blocking the Asgard Transporter which at the very least justifies why they were able to counter is so quickly, or the drones are unable to get through Wraith armor with this phasing trick.

Regardless, Tollan phase technology has no relevance to Ancient Phase tech unless your claiming they are the same. In which case, by all means prove this.
Additionally, there is only speculation the Ion Cannon worked with phase technology thus even if they DO use the same phase tech, there is no proof the Goa'uld adapted to it.
If anything, the inability of Anubis to deflect any of the Drones with a shield would indicate they had no phase shielding or that the Tollan phase technology is different from Ancient. Hence, the Tollans are irrelevant.

Incidentally, since the topic of passing through shields has been brought up. Atlantis was able to fire drones while it's shields were up which should not be possible if Ancient shields prevent the phasing trick and there has been little indication that 'holes' can be opened in the shield to allow drones to escape through. Hence, either Ancient shields are not immune to their own phasing trick or the drones got through Atlantis via means unknown.
As mentioned, frequencies have been brought up in Stargate before and the drones would be able to get out of Atlantis's shield if they are matched to the frequency of the shields.

It is also quite clear that Drones do not phase all the time, if this was the case the drone McKay fired in wouldnt have burrowed a hole through the ground. Otherwise even in their phased state they can be influenced by solid objects which logically should mean a shield that deflects kinetic impacts will have an effect on Drones. Even more so when SW has shields designed specifically to deflect that kind of attack, no ?

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-08 08:45pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
PREDATOR490 wrote:
Since the Ancients were unable to one-shot hive ships with drones then either the Wraith employed some sort of counter measure, perhaps this is the measure that was responsible for blocking the Asgard Transporter which at the very least justifies why they were able to counter is so quickly, or the drones are unable to get through Wraith armor with this phasing trick.

Regardless, Tollan phase technology has no relevance to Ancient Phase tech unless your claiming they are the same. In which case, by all means prove this.
Additionally, there is only speculation the Ion Cannon worked with phase technology thus even if they DO use the same phase tech, there is no proof the Goa'uld adapted to it.
If anything, the inability of Anubis to deflect any of the Drones with a shield would indicate they had no phase shielding or that the Tollan phase technology is different from Ancient. Hence, the Tollans are irrelevant.

Incidentally, since the topic of passing through shields has been brought up. Atlantis was able to fire drones while it's shields were up which should not be possible if Ancient shields prevent the phasing trick and there has been little indication that 'holes' can be opened in the shield to allow drones to escape through. Hence, either Ancient shields are not immune to their own phasing trick or the drones got through Atlantis via means unknown.
As mentioned, frequencies have been brought up in Stargate before and the drones would be able to get out of Atlantis's shield if they are matched to the frequency of the shields.

It is also quite clear that Drones do not phase all the time, if this was the case the drone McKay fired in wouldnt have burrowed a hole through the ground. Otherwise even in their phased state they can be influenced by solid objects which logically should mean a shield that deflects kinetic impacts will have an effect on Drones. Even more so when SW has shields designed specifically to deflect that kind of attack, no ?


Actually the shields in Atlantis are unidirectional because they have also launched puddle jumpers with the shields raised with no trouble whatsoever as when they had to clear a path for Atlantis thru an asteroid field. meaning things can go out but not in. Anyway even in SW we have seen very quirky effects of energy shields especially in clone wars in the episode where they encounter the peacenik tribe whose chieftain would not fight no matter what, the shield they erected to protect the village allowed people and machines to go thru but not weapons fire or the fireball from the insurgents latest so called doomsday weapon well according to his creator anyway.

In regards to frequencies just 2 or 3 episodes if any at best is no evidence of this being the super huge weakness the same as Trek that is apparently now being claimed.



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 04:02am
Offline
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 06:30am
Posts: 25593
Location: The Lost City
PunkMaister wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
Wrong. There are at least two. In Tangent and Revelations. That's right off the top of my head.

Well I could only remember one but still the point is that it something that has very rarely been used in the show which means is not a way to penetrate shields that is readily available as it is in say Trek. thus it's very unlikely drones would try to get at shields this way...

It's not unlikely at all. Your alternative speculation is that they use phase shifting, which is specifically countered by the fact that they bore holes in things. This was addressed on page one of this thread. Without something specifically showing them to phase shift, it is unreasonable to think that they do.



Superior Moderator - BotM - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 04:16am
Offline
Durandal's Bitch
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-02 07:57pm
Posts: 5724
Yeah there was a lot of speculation back in the day that drones had some kind of phase shifting technology to pass through shields and, to a degree, amour, back when they were first shown.

Now there is still a good amount of evidence that drones can fly right through SOME shields without slowing down, Goa'uld shields being the prime example of this, but the phase shifting through matter idea is more or less debunked.

If the drones will pass right through SW shields? *shrug* Your guess is as good as mine. Its not likely to be a question of power, drones themselves don't require THAT much power and in 'Its Good to be King' and 'Lost City' still passed through shields projected by starships without even slowing down, which would be orders of magnitude more powerful.

They also have some rather impressive 'burrowing' properties, we've seen a single drone tear a rather nice gash down the ventral hull of a Wraith cruiser, a pair of drones burrow through a Ha'Tak right to its core and blow the main reactor, dance in, out and back in to a Wraith Hiveship, and so on. Based on what the drones also did to a Kull Warrior in Lost City, my hypothesis -extended from some observations Necron made a while ago- is that they have some kind 'zat' like energy they emit that disintegrates matter, allowing them to tunnel, before they explode -if so set.

Of course, the Uber-Hive with its unobtanium armor plating blocked the drones from penetrating.

Now IF they can penetrate SW shields and IF they can tear through the armor -which is far from implausible, SW armor is NOT adamantium- then they MIGHT be able to tear into an ISD and blow its reactor.

There is an awful lot of 'mights' there, none of which are at all easy to prove and its based off a theory that fits the facts, but is still just one theory...so really, there isn't any real proof that drones are going to be ISD killing wonders, or an amusing light show that makes the ISD 'ohhh' and 'ahhh' at the pweaty colors before it opens up with the big guns!

And as it so happens, we've never seen ANY kind of point defense used against a drone...so its rather hard to say how durable they are to enemy fire. Not that ISD's exactly have...tight...point defenses.



Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 04:32am
Offline
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 06:30am
Posts: 25593
Location: The Lost City
Chris OFarrell wrote:
Yeah there was a lot of speculation back in the day that drones had some kind of phase shifting technology to pass through shields and, to a degree, amour, back when they were first shown.


Hell yes. I even did it, until a couple of years back now.



Superior Moderator - BotM - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 08:39am
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
NecronLord wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
Wrong. There are at least two. In Tangent and Revelations. That's right off the top of my head.

Well I could only remember one but still the point is that it something that has very rarely been used in the show which means is not a way to penetrate shields that is readily available as it is in say Trek. thus it's very unlikely drones would try to get at shields this way...

It's not unlikely at all. Your alternative speculation is that they use phase shifting, which is specifically countered by the fact that they bore holes in things. This was addressed on page one of this thread. Without something specifically showing them to phase shift, it is unreasonable to think that they do.

True but in the show phasing has been much more of recurring theme than the so called Trek like frequency modulation deal which was only used to get at shields perhaps 3 or less times and that is my contention about it, if it was such a readily available to exploit weakness why is not use it all the time as in Trek? Most likely because it is simply not...



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 09:12am
Offline
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 06:30am
Posts: 25593
Location: The Lost City
PunkMaister wrote:
if it was such a readily available to exploit weakness why is not use it all the time as in Trek?

Because the writers rarely want to make the enemy look pathetic by shooting through their shields.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. We also know they have structural integrity fields, but they're mentioned a hell of a lot less than in Star Trek. Should we thus assume that they don't exist, despite being mentioned on screen, because they're not as important as their equivalent in Star Trek?



Superior Moderator - BotM - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 02:37pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2006-03-13 09:04am
Posts: 1467
Location: Scotland
Stop bringing Star Trek into this with the frequencies.
It has no fucking relevance because noone is saying they have a 'readily available weakness' like Trek - which is STILL a distortion because exploiting that weakness requires a bit of work to achieve.

Just because the drones can exploit the frequency based shielding of Stargate doesnt make it a readily available weakness rather than remain consistant to the 'theme' of the Ancients technolgy being THAT much better than everyone else. A 'theme' which is far more 'recurring' than phase technology.
Hence, the logical answer to your question is that it isnt used all the time because they cant where as the Ancients can.

Regardless, since Star Wars shields do not have frequencies drones will not penetrate at all thus they can only attempt to brute force a SW shield which is highly unlikely to happen due to the power difference in the power of shields. Using drones against fighters or for surgical strikes is more likely but still renders them as nothing more than a niche support weapon.

Even if you are indulged in the idea of it being phase tech or the ability to 'burrow' through shields. You cannot claim they will achieve anything against Star Wars shields unless you can prove either:
A) Star Wars shields are vulnerable to these abilities
- Since nothing has come forward about any phase technology being mentioned in SW then you cannot prove this condition.
or
B) Star Wars shields work like Stargate shields.
- Not only will you have to prove they work the same, you will have to indicate WHICH type of shield they work like.
If they work like Ancient shielding then the drones wont work, right ? (Incidentally, where is this example of drones being stopped by Ancient shielding ?)

The opposite of B) exists by simply pointing out the Star Wars has vastly more powerful shields than even the Ancients. The Ori had beam weapons that literaly blasted through Goa'uld motherships but were much less effective against the Asgard shields. Hence, 'burrowing' through a Star Destroyer shield should be harder to achieve than against a Goa'uld mothership.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 05:19pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2003-05-11 09:41pm
Posts: 7152
Also, in Stargate, Phasing is implided to be a dimensional movement phenomina. (Carter says then when her and Mitchel are trapped out of phase).

Star Wars shields have been noted in the technical commentaries to extend into other dimensions, such as hyperspace. In fact, that's why in ESB the Executor had to leave the asteroid field so Vader could talk to the Emperor. With the shields up, there FTL transmissions were distorted by the shields, if not effectively jammed.

Assuming the Ancient Drones possessed Phasing capabilities, would prevent the drones from simly bypassing Star wars shields.

Combine that with Star Wars shield power, and well, drones are useless.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 05:54pm
Offline
Jedi Knight

Joined: 2008-11-14 01:47pm
Posts: 879
Location: Latvia
My proposal for utilizing ancient tech as a weapon would be to develop a missile carrying a weaponized ZPM as a warhead (that`s if SW civilization can manufacture ZPM`s). I think Carter stated that tampered ZPM if exploded would take good portion of Earth with it. If SW weapon designers can replicate that effect they would get a small warhead capable of destroying/critically damaging nearly any capital ship with single hit.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 07:52pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
I will admit that I'm quite a bit biased about considering the drones being Trek style frequency weapons (in fact I find the idea nauseating) rather than phasing or shield piercing tech. Anyway we are all conjecturing since we do not have a clue as to how they work or heck how the the damn things are even powered to fly around and so on as they do. All that we know is that they exist (in the show), they sure look damn cool! :mrgreen: And that they seem to somehow entirely bypass or pierce thru SGverse shields as if there is no tomorrow.


Changing the subject a bit if the SW civilization could reverse engineer a Zero Point Module could they make the thing bigger and more effective to fit their power requirement needs? Because for their size one has to agree that their power output is remarkable. I have no idea how a Supersized beefed up ZPM would look like. But as far as batteries go and that is what the ZPMs very much are Superpowered batteries...



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 09:13pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2006-03-13 09:04am
Posts: 1467
Location: Scotland
PunkMaister wrote:
I will admit that I'm quite a bit biased about considering the drones being Trek style frequency weapons (in fact I find the idea nauseating) rather than phasing or shield piercing tech.


Irrelevant unless your trying to play the 'It works this way because I like it more' angle. Which can simply be rebutted with a 'Drones will not work on SW shields because I like them more.'

PunkMaister wrote:
Anyway we are all conjecturing since we do not have a clue as to how they work or heck how the the damn things are even powered to fly around and so on as they do. All that we know is that they exist (in the show), they sure look damn cool! :mrgreen: And that they seem to somehow entirely bypass or pierce thru SGverse shields as if there is no tomorrow.


This entire topic is getting excessively repetative due to the constant appeals to ignorance.

Frequency based attack - SW shields do not have frequencies, hence drones hitting SW shield = :banghead:

'Shield piercing' - I really dont undestand what the hell this term is supposed to mean.
This might as well be 'brute force attack', 'burrowing' or 'shield piercing rounds' because ultimately it all comes down to the same concept of the drones punching through which would be direct kinetic impacts with an explosive end when they either hit the target or are stopped sufficiently by shields or armor.
In which case, these things are nothing more than a fancy guided missile with an explosive tip.
IF this is the method they are using then they have no chance of defeating a Star Wars shield since that is one of the key things they are designed to defend against.

'phasing' - Solauren has fielded a Star Wars counter to this and the evidence clearly indicates they do NOT possess a FULL phased state otherwise they would not interact with anything until they phased back into the target. You wouldnt even SEE them if they were phased like Carter etc. so it seems fairly conclusive they are partially phased at best.
Enough to be seen, have visible interaction with normal things like Wraith armor, Wraith darts, the ground and of course and enough to avoid the Prometheus as it was doing it's kamakazi rather than just fly right through it or the ground in Antartica.
Overall, the phasing trick is debunked as a plausible method of how they work as far as I am concerned but regardless, the observed performance in the show indicate their phasing trick would STILL not work against the shields of a Star Wars ship.

Unless there is another, all these methods are useless against SW shields thus rendering drones ineffective in the SW universe.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 09:27pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
We have seen drones and I mean the small ones fired by Puddle Jumpers basically blast into dust huge asteroids in SG:Atlantis as they were trying to make a safe pathway for Atlantis to go thru. So their power is not exactly something to be sneezed at either, We do not know and I think you are being to quick to dismiss them entirely and I might add without evidence.
Now I'm not saying that they would indubitably work but by the same token you cannot say that they won't which is what you are now implicitly implying...



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 10:37pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2006-03-13 09:04am
Posts: 1467
Location: Scotland
PunkMaister wrote:
We have seen drones and I mean the small ones fired by Puddle Jumpers basically blast into dust huge asteroids in SG:Atlantis as they were trying to make a safe pathway for Atlantis to go thru. So their power is not exactly something to be sneezed at either,


Irrelevant. The entire point of this topic is finding an Ancient warship in the SW galaxy. As a privateer what am I supposed to find impressive about drones that can blast 'huge asteroids', Turbolasers and standard lasers can do that just fine and we have access to bombs in ATOC that can shread entire asteroid fields.
Why would I be inclined to store drones when I can store those bombs or use simple lasers to destroy asteroids in the unlikely event I need to 'clear a path' for anything ?

Your proposing the SW universe will use drones for mining and asteroid survey ?
Fine, maybe it will work since they are smaller and potentially cheaper than using proton torpedoes, concussion missiles or various other native ordanance for taking out asteroids.
What relevance does that power have to do with armor and shields designed to withstand the firepower the SW universe deals with ?


PunkMaister wrote:
We do not know and I think you are being to quick to dismiss them entirely and I might add without evidence.
Now I'm not saying that they would indubitably work but by the same token you cannot say that they won't which is what you are now implicitly implying...


Your not indubitably saying they would work, you are just arguing they could work...
You have not stated how they work to begin with and have repeatedly appealed to ignorance about, so your claiming they can use this method against SW when you cannot even prove they can or do use this method. Hence, the burden is on you to state and prove which method the drones are using.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-09 11:44pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
PREDATOR490 wrote:
Irrelevant. The entire point of this topic is finding an Ancient warship in the SW galaxy. As a privateer what am I supposed to find impressive about drones that can blast 'huge asteroids', Turbolasers and standard lasers can do that just fine and we have access to bombs in ATOC that can shread entire asteroid fields.
Why would I be inclined to store drones when I can store those bombs or use simple lasers to destroy asteroids in the unlikely event I need to 'clear a path' for anything ?


Funny but no cigar, it was just an example that this things do have a byte behind them in comparison to Trek weaponry such as Photon torpedoes after all it is stated that it would take all the loadout of the Enterprise D to blast a single asteroid something a single drone can accomplish without a sweat. Meaning we are dealing with a far more substantial weapon than what you are claiming it to be...

PREDATOR490 wrote:
IYour not indubitably saying they would work, you are just arguing they could work...
You have not stated how they work to begin with and have repeatedly appealed to ignorance about, so your claiming they can use this method against SW when you cannot even prove they can or do use this method. Hence, the burden is on you to state and prove which method the drones are using.

That's a LIE my position is that since we don't know the official position that it may not work and then again it may work. What you are trying again is to implicitly imply that they cannot possibly work under any circumstances ever and that's a load of crock because there is no evidence to support that position either. The one that was proposing that they could work without any evidence behind it was An Ancient by the way and now you are doing just the opposite...



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-10 02:53pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2006-03-13 09:04am
Posts: 1467
Location: Scotland
PunkMaister wrote:
PREDATOR490 wrote:
Irrelevant. The entire point of this topic is finding an Ancient warship in the SW galaxy. As a privateer what am I supposed to find impressive about drones that can blast 'huge asteroids', Turbolasers and standard lasers can do that just fine and we have access to bombs in ATOC that can shread entire asteroid fields.
Why would I be inclined to store drones when I can store those bombs or use simple lasers to destroy asteroids in the unlikely event I need to 'clear a path' for anything ?


Funny but no cigar, it was just an example that this things do have a byte behind them in comparison to Trek weaponry such as Photon torpedoes after all it is stated that it would take all the loadout of the Enterprise D to blast a single asteroid something a single drone can accomplish without a sweat. Meaning we are dealing with a far more substantial weapon than what you are claiming it to be...


What the fuck...
This is Star Wars and Stargate, Star Trek has nothing to do with this.
So a drone can destroy an asteroid better than Star Trek, big fucking deal when this is a comparison between Star Wars and Stargate. Unless your trying to claim Star Trek weapons 'such as photon torpedoes' are better than Star Wars weapons, all your stating is drones are better than a weapon that has been proven to be inferior compared to Star Wars.
Star Wars has seismic charges that shread multiple asteroids so are you claiming drones are a more substantial 'weapon' against asteroids (i) than this ?

(i) - This of course ignores the fact destoying asteroids is pointless.
If only Star Wars ships were asteroids and didnt have shields you could claim they would be a 'substantial weapon'.
Since Star Wars DOES have shields and those ships are not asteroids, destroying asteroids shows us nothing of the effect they will have against a shield or armor.
By that reasoning, the bomb used by Jango would be an even more 'substantial weapon' in the Stargate universe than drones.

The only effect it actually DOES show is the DESTRUCTIVE power of drones. To which you should put forth evidence of this destructive power showing they are equal or greater than Star Wars options.
So far all you have fielded is that a drone is more powerful than the entire compliment of the E-D's 'photon torpedoes'.
Oh wait - Here
Right, being more powerful than the E-D is such a strong indication they would be a 'substantial weapon' in Star Wars.

Provide evidence that a single drone is more destructive than Slave I's missiles or even in the same ballpark as Star Wars fighter weaponary.


PunkMaister wrote:
PREDATOR490 wrote:
IYour not indubitably saying they would work, you are just arguing they could work...
You have not stated how they work to begin with and have repeatedly appealed to ignorance about, so your claiming they can use this method against SW when you cannot even prove they can or do use this method. Hence, the burden is on you to state and prove which method the drones are using.


That's a LIE my position is that since we don't know the official position that it may not work and then again it may work. What you are trying again is to implicitly imply that they cannot possibly work under any circumstances ever and that's a load of crock because there is no evidence to support that position either. The one that was proposing that they could work without any evidence behind it was An Ancient by the way and now you are doing just the opposite...


Another appeal to ignorance.
The burden of proof lies with those trying to claim the positive. Ancient provided no evidence drones 'would' penetrate Star Wars shields hence where is YOUR evidence that it 'may work' ?
Until you prove the drones either:
A) Use a method Star Wars shields are vulnerable
OR
B) Can do more damage than SW weaponary to shields

The default position is they will not work and will not become a 'substantial' weapon. Except in the Star Trek universe against asteroids, which is so fucking helpful for a privateer in the SW universe to know when he dosent even know what Stargate is.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-10 05:15pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-09-20 11:56am
Posts: 649
This is right from the link you provided and I quote!
Quote:
Asteroid destruction: according to Riker, it would take the entire photon torpedo payload to destroy a single 5km wide hollow asteroid in "Pegasus". In other words, it would take the entire payload of the Enterprise-D (a capital warship with a crew of a thousand) to equal just one of Jango Fett's seismic charges (a bounty hunter's weapon).
:mrgreen:

There Mr Wong himself is asserting by his own words that a single drone is just as powerful as those seismic charges. And keep in mind the asteroids in SG:Atlantis were solid and not hollow, that makes them as effective as the turbolasers being fired at asteroids in TESB. Which means they can by no means be dismissed as ineffective period as you claim. At this point we just don't know and that's the position I'll maintain that we do not have the foggiest idea until someone comes with actual evidence to tilt things one way or the other.

And lay off the so called appeal to ignorance because is not an appeal it is the truth, we don't know...



ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-10 05:30pm
Offline
Padawan Learner

Joined: 2008-11-25 09:33am
Posts: 332
PunkMaister wrote:
This is right from the link you provided and I quote!
Quote:
Asteroid destruction: according to Riker, it would take the entire photon torpedo payload to destroy a single 5km wide hollow asteroid in "Pegasus". In other words, it would take the entire payload of the Enterprise-D (a capital warship with a crew of a thousand) to equal just one of Jango Fett's seismic charges (a bounty hunter's weapon).
:mrgreen:

There Mr Wong himself is asserting by his own words that a single drone is just as powerful as those seismic charges. And keep in mind the asteroids in SG:Atlantis were solid and not hollow, that makes them as effective as the turbolasers being fired at asteroids in TESB. Which means they can by no means be dismissed as ineffective period as you claim. At this point we just don't know and that's the position I'll maintain that we do not have the foggiest idea until someone comes with actual evidence to tilt things one way or the other.

And lay off the so called appeal to ignorance because is not an appeal it is the truth, we don't know...


Uh the link you yourself qoute from proves that the drones are weak as hell. Boba fett is a small fry compared to any of the SW capital ships, and that as just one piddily missile, so it is weak. If that's all the power they have then there's pretty much no reason to even start investigating the tech for use in the SWverse.

Reading comprehension ftw.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-10 05:47pm
Online
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Posts: 8226
Location: Cheshire, England
Does it really matter how cool drones are or aren't? Whoever finds the ship can't fire them.



Image
Banner By JME2
EBC - The Limey Bastards

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: If Ancients (SG) tech is found in the SW galaxy.... PostPosted: 2009-02-10 05:54pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2006-03-13 09:04am
Posts: 1467
Location: Scotland
Words just fail.

You will of course point out where a single drone has demonstrated a destructive area of effect ranging from 5km - 10km. The Seismic charge could take out the ST asteroid (5km) twice over.
Infact, there is no evidence of a single drone haveng ANY fucking area of effect otherwise 'The Tower' would have had Mckay DEAD as well as the entire fucking village when one struck next to them.

Additionally, since there was no massive fucking crater from said strike... yeah a single drone is just as powerful as Seismic charge, idiot.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group