Making Chicago Silky Smooth

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Making Chicago Silky Smooth

Post by SylasGaunt »

This idea has been buzzing in my head for far too long so it must be released.

Say just before the LARPing incident Thomas (I refuse to pronounce it Toe-Mas, refuse I say!) hires a new hairdresser. A strange man with a middle eastern accent who claims to be half australian and half tibetan. A funny man who calls himself.. Scrappy Coco. In reality of course he is the famous israeli counter-terrorist known as The Zohan.

How will the Zohan's presence in the salon effect things (like the black court attack on the mall)? How could things change with the presence of a man who can catch a .50 AE round with his nostril? What's a white court vampire to do when someone who seems even hornier than him is around? Will we see at least one vampire killed by drowning it in hummus?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Re: Making Chicago Silky Smooth

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Wow. Are those spoilers for Backup or Mean Streets? I wish they'd been marked, as I was just about to start reading those stories, just as soon as they ship.

Anyway, Scrappy Coco would probably do pretty well in the Dresdenverse. Competent sidekicks tend to get beaten up pretty badly, but they usually live and go on to have even better roles to play down the line. Scrappy Coco could probably prove to be as valuable as a Warden against vampires, if he had access to the right equipment. He'd at least be on the same level of threat to the vamps as Kincaid, given that he is also a master of weapons and martial arts.

One of the holy Jesus Swords is still awaiting a wielder. I don't know if a Jew would be able to use the same "faith magic" as, say Michael, while wielding a sword made from a nail from the cross. Maybe he'll get to use the jawbone of an ass.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: One of the holy Jesus Swords is still awaiting a wielder. I don't know if a Jew would be able to use the same "faith magic" as, say Michael, while wielding a sword made from a nail from the cross. Maybe he'll get to use the jawbone of an ass.
One of the sword wielders is an atheist. Just so you know. I think a Jewish person would handle it just fine. Michael's just interesting in the fact that he wears medieval quality armor with crosses everywhere and the atheist wears a flak jacket.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Wow. Are those spoilers for Backup or Mean Streets? I wish they'd been marked, as I was just about to start reading those stories, just as soon as they ship.

They're not from either. The black court attack on the mall is from one of the short stories ("It's my Birthday To" I think). I haven't read Backup or Mean Streets.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

SylasGaunt wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Wow. Are those spoilers for Backup or Mean Streets? I wish they'd been marked, as I was just about to start reading those stories, just as soon as they ship.

They're not from either. The black court attack on the mall is from one of the short stories ("It's my Birthday To" I think). I haven't read Backup or Mean Streets.
I would like to ask - what is the LARP incident from? I'm assuming that Mean Streets will be the next book after 'Small Favor'.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Molyneux wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:

I would like to ask - what is the LARP incident from? I'm assuming that Mean Streets will be the next book after 'Small Favor'.
The LARP incident is from "It's My Birthday Too" and is in the anthology Many Blood Returns, it's been out a couple of years. Mean Streats is another anthology, already out and contains the story "The Warrior". It's only been out a month or two.

The next mainline Dresden Files novel is Turn Coat, which is coming out in April.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Gaidin wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote: One of the holy Jesus Swords is still awaiting a wielder. I don't know if a Jew would be able to use the same "faith magic" as, say Michael, while wielding a sword made from a nail from the cross. Maybe he'll get to use the jawbone of an ass.
One of the sword wielders is an atheist. Just so you know. I think a Jewish person would handle it just fine. Michael's just interesting in the fact that he wears medieval quality armor with crosses everywhere and the atheist wears a flak jacket.
Also, Jesus was a Jew.

That was kind of the point. The Messiah had to be from David's bloodline...King David. The Jewish guy. That David.

So yeah, unless God makes some strong distinction between the Hebrews proper and modern Jews it should work. Now if an Italian picked up the sword...
Kanye West Saves.