a strange new sector (40k rar)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

a strange new sector (40k rar)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

ok, warpstorms clear and humanity finds a group of planets all of which are mirrors for certain books or videogames known to many of us.

Wasteland/Ash: a world nearly destroyed in fratracidal bombardment full of oversized mutants, mutant animals, with two powerarmoured superfactions fighting each other, looting raping raiders, evil AIs and other various nasties. (basically Fallout universe)

Arkham: basically a lovecraft type world with the technology of 20th century earth, and strange things living deep underground and in the water.

Hyboria: feralworld full of cultures based of Robert E. Howard stores, including the reptillian currupt Stygians, Warrior Cimmerians, both Currupt and Noble picts (Bran Mak Morn), puritan witch hunters (solomon kane), pirates, etc.

Hard Diamond: near hive city full of computers (many AIs), deadly computer virus, heavily augmented mercs, drugs, megacorps and other things (in short every William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling and Neil Stefenson novel blended together)

New world: A distopian world where the inhabitants are controlled by a big brother or corperate enity, basically 1984, Equaliberium, and Brave New World. with total control and survailience of the population.

so which planets would be destroyed, which would be kept under inquisitional quarentine, and which would be allowed into the imperial population?

edit 2

yes none of these cultures have had any contact with the Imperium and it's beliefs prior to this sudden introduction.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Re: a strange new sector (40k rar)

Post by Zablorg »

I imagine Wasteland will be quarantined, everyone killed, and then populated by the Imperium

Arkham will likely be destroyed; the things that go bump in the night down there would be too blasphemous to ignore

Hard Diamond will be investigated thouroughly by the Mechanicus and the AI will be destroyed

The New World will be looked at with keen interest by the Acolytes before being deemed fit for habitation
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Wasteland/Ash: a world nearly destroyed in fratracidal bombardment full of oversized mutants, mutant animals, with two powerarmoured superfactions fighting each other, looting raping raiders, evil AIs and other various nasties. (basically Fallout universe)
Mechanicus seek to discover how exactly they can have such high degrees of radiation after such an extended period of time using such primitive tech. :P

Probably invade and conquer. Native humans taken into the new order.
Arkham: basically a lovecraft type world with the technology of 20th century earth, and strange things living deep underground and in the water.
Choas taint. Make it burn.
Hyboria: feralworld full of cultures based of Robert E. Howard stores, including the reptillian currupt Stygians, Warrior Cimmerians, both Currupt and Noble picts (Bran Mak Morn), puritan witch hunters (solomon kane), pirates, etc.
Kill the xenos, free the human populance.
Hard Diamond: near hive city full of computers (many AIs), deadly computer virus, heavily augmented mercs, drugs, megacorps and other things (in short every William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling and Neil Stefenson novel blended together)
Subverted to join the Imperium.
New world: A distopian world where the inhabitants are controlled by a big brother or corperate enity, basically 1984, Equaliberium, and Brave New World. with total control and survailience of the population.
"The Emperor is Big Brother." Equilibrium would be perfect- they have no emotions and since Choas feeds off emotions... anyway they can make it universal?
The Yosemite Bear

Somehow if the IM shows up with a battleship capable of clensing the whole world, even the party would probably agree to the We'll call the great leader/big brother the Emporer of mankind, just let the party/corperation run things as always. Sure we will supply Proles for your wars, just remember everyone except the high party members are pretty brain dead....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Somehow if the IM shows up with a battleship capable of clensing the whole world, even the party would probably agree to the We'll call the great leader/big brother the Emporer of mankind, just let the party/corperation run things as always. Sure we will supply Proles for your wars, just remember everyone except the high party members are pretty brain dead....
Actually, the proles aren't brain dead. Just supersticious and ignorant. BNW would turn out excellent genetically engineered troopers who just love war and Equilibrium would turn out excellent cannon fodder. They just stand and take it!
The Yosemite Bear

Actually the Stygians would probably freak the =I= out a lot. I mean one of the major factions that everyone is fighting and loosing against, that's currupted a great deal of the once honorable picts (Kul (they are honorable allies of the Atlanteans against the demonkind that later becomes the stygians) to Conan (blood enemies of the Cimmarians but only a few of them really are worshipping the stygian demon gods, the rest will fight against the Stygians as readily as anybody else) and finally Bran Mak Morn's saga, where there's a very small group of uncorrupted picts being driven to extinction) are best described as shapeshifting part daemon, reptillian beastmen, who worship the dark aspects of the Egyptian pantheon, and are essentially immortal.

note the majority of the lovecraft world would be exactly like 20th century earth, it's just when you dig deeper, that you find the things that should not be.

Also the Cimmarians would be difficult, they believe in Crom, but don't really believe that he's protecting them, he just wants them to fight honorably, die in battle, never cry, hate the demons and if you can't figure out the "Riddle of Steel" you are frakked.
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2009-01-20 01:55am, edited 1 time in total.

The Yosemite Bear

oh god...
I just realized that the Grammaton Clerics would wind up joining the =I= as the super gun-fu alcoyltes....

Well give them some sort of invulnerability save to represent their bullet dodging, gravity raping slow mo chow yun fat skills.....

The Yosemite Bear

just another funny thought, just for pure mistranslation humor/badness....

Imagine a world with highly advanced technology, where the humans have powered armour that has egyptian face masks. (Stargate without the evil alien slave masters)

just the thought of the inquisitioner's mind when he finds out that Set was the god of desception who kills Ra, who comes back from the dead as Osiris, but is avenged the the falcon headed Horus.

kill them all they worship the great betrayer

Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Could be used as a death world for the Imperial Guard and / or Space Marines. Depends on just how bad things are (especially regarding the mutants) - we've seen similar worlds like Baal used as recruiting grounds before (Blood Angels in Baal's case).
Could join the Imperium, if all the Lovecraftian gribblies can be either controlled or banished. The Imperium's certainly had experience fighting such things, but if it's felt that the "Chaos infestation" is too widespread then it'll either be quarantined or subjected to Exterminatus.
Perfect Guard / Marine recruiting grounds. Might need to wipe out the xenos though, unless the presence of the Stygians or whatever is useful for the quality of recruits.
Depends on how the AI are viewed mainly - we've seen some fairly intelligent computers in the 40K universe before. That said, IMHO it's more likely to be viewed as tech-heresy, so expect a full-scale invasion at the very least.
Gives a few of the Inquisitors ideas :P . Don't see why it couldn't be brought under Imperial control though.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hrm... in Lovecraft, those cults are very subtle and aren't outright overt. The Imperium could take over the planet with ease, and then a long time later someone will pick up those cults and then the Inquisition will be brought in.

Arguably, what happens in the Wuvcraft stories are no worse than the mad shit that goes on in any average world in the Imperium of Man. In Wuvcraft, the worst cultists are fishmen. In 40k, the worst cultists ascend into daemonhood.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Actually the Stygians would probably freak the =I= out a lot. I mean one of the major factions that everyone is fighting and loosing against, that's currupted a great deal of the once honorable picts (Kul (they are honorable allies of the Atlanteans against the demonkind that later becomes the stygians) to Conan (blood enemies of the Cimmarians but only a few of them really are worshipping the stygian demon gods, the rest will fight against the Stygians as readily as anybody else) and finally Bran Mak Morn's saga, where there's a very small group of uncorrupted picts being driven to extinction) are best described as shapeshifting part daemon, reptillian beastmen, who worship the dark aspects of the Egyptian pantheon, and are essentially immortal.
Uh, what? What kind of Stygians are that? The Stygians I know from reading the Howard-stories are ordinary people, whorshipping Set, a god that's either just a demon or a "real" god depending on how you view it. Also, Set is dead and buried under a big pyramid in the Stygian capital. Nevertheless, Stygians aren't "reptilian" or anything. They're human beings.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Also the Cimmarians would be difficult, they believe in Crom, but don't really believe that he's protecting them, he just wants them to fight honorably, die in battle, never cry, hate the demons and if you can't figure out the "Riddle of Steel" you are frakked.
This isn't an issue. The Imperial Cult accepts a number of varying interpretations of the Emperor. Cold And Uncaring War God isn't much of a stretch.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, Fallout has not THAT much mutants - percentage-wise. And some of those mutations seem to be stabe (Supermutants(Fallout3) and lots of wildlife). Depending on who discoveres the world (how zealous he/she is), the world will either be exterminated, heavily purged, or just colonised and the mutants used as a labour force.
Again, it depends on who discovers the world, and how obvious the "beings" are. If they are disvovered after, say, a few decades, a imperial force may be sent to kill them (Cthulu vs Grey Knights :D ).

Kill everything that does not fit and ut up a imerpial government. Use the local populace to gather resources and as imperial recruits (Conan in the Imperial Guard :!:). The human populace is no threat at all.
AIs! Those things are heretic, dangerous and forbidden by the Emperor himself! Nearly every imperial faction would quickly shut those AIs down, or just purge the whole wordl (the inhabitants do accept the AIs and may be corrupted).
Lots of obedient citizens? A smart commander will infiltrate those, or present himself as a liberator. A dumb commander will just steam-roll the three oposing major powers and put up his own, restrictive government.

Generally, Space Marines will try to "liberate/rescue" the human population, the Adeptus Mechanicus will work depending on how he can use the world (lots of pre-established industry/resources=good), the Imperial Guard/Fleet will resort to heavy orbital bombardment or even exterminatus if there is any major threat (like the lovecraft-beings) and the Inquisition will purge nearly any world heavily (exept Hyboria).
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh god...
I just realized that the Grammaton Clerics would wind up joining the =I= as the super gun-fu alcoyltes....

Well give them some sort of invulnerability save to represent their bullet dodging, gravity raping slow mo chow yun fat skills.....
Clearly you've never seen the bullet dodging skills of a well developed assassin in DH.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Clearly you've never seen the bullet dodging skills of a well developed assassin in DH.
Which is equivalent to being able to avoid a room-full of AKs firing on full auto precisely how? :wtf:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:Clearly you've never seen the bullet dodging skills of a well developed assassin in DH.
Which is equivalent to being able to avoid a room-full of AKs firing on full auto precisely how? :wtf:
I'm saying heinous bullet dodging is already a part of the skill set of trained Imperial Assassins and that Grammaritan Clerics aren't anything special compared to Shrine Assassins.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:
I'm saying heinous bullet dodging is already a part of the skill set of trained Imperial Assassins and that Grammaritan Clerics aren't anything special compared to Shrine Assassins.
Well, there is the whole gun vs. melee issue to consider there, but given the size and recoil of some 40K ranged weapons (even ones intended to be used as pistols,) I suppose its moot.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Observe. Develop a way to integrate local beliefs (if any) with the Imperial Cult.
Reveal the existence of the Imperium ("There are horrible aliens populating the universe that will eat your world, so we will protect you. Yay us!"); begin the integration of the Cult ("The Emperor is our god, and he wants to unite Mankind. Your good gods were really just the Emperor in various forms. Oh, by the way, Chaos is bad."); and obtain one or more local factions as a proxy ("Gee, wouldn't you like to rule the world? For the small fee of an annual tithe and some religious oversight, you can!").
Employ that proxy to conquer the world. Purge mutants, xenos, and daemons.
Establish the proxy as a vassal of the Imperium, bringing in the Administratum and the Arbites to oversee it and the Ecclesiarchy to carry out the total conversion of local beliefs to something theologically acceptable.

Voila: one new Imperial world at minimum cost. If it takes a century, fine. The Imperium has always been in it for the long game.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

It might be more interesting if these were placed in another universe, say stargate or star trek, than the Clense Purge KILL one of Warhammer 40,000.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh god...
The only reason Grammaton Clerics survive is because the people shooting them have aim that would make Starfleet Redshirts look like Simo Hayha. The whole concept behind gun kata is complete laughable bullshit.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Peptuck wrote: The only reason Grammaton Clerics survive is because the people shooting them have aim that would make Starfleet Redshirts look like Simo Hayha. The whole concept behind gun kata is complete laughable bullshit.
Yeah, but they would do fine in a setting where the "rule of cool" is in place, and isn't that the case with Warhammer? ;)
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Ok how do the Imperium view the difference between AI's and Machine Spirits. Considering the Machine Spirts in the Titans are pretty sophisticated.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

dragon wrote:Ok how do the Imperium view the difference between AI's and Machine Spirits. Considering the Machine Spirts in the Titans are pretty sophisticated.
I'm curious too. My only familiarity with 40k is what I read in the occasional thread here and the two times I visited a 40k wiki.

I thought the Imperium was pretty respectful of "machine spirits" and thought they were holy artifacts or something? They have AI of some sort in their giant walking cathedrals and oldest vehicles and vessels, don't they?

Why would AI be "heretical" and evil?
Your ad here.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

It's not so much AI as AI that can think for themselves that they have a problem with. It has to do with the Iron Men wars, which ended the Age of Technology and started the Age of Strife.
The Yosemite Bear

basically they have big frankenstine fears, they would probalby consider a Turing capable AI as something just shy of Abadon knocking on the door. I mean a machine spirit that can actively LIE and decieve it's masters, or worse a Rampant AI with a sense of humour....