Resolution: Removing an Eyesore of a Smilie

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Resolution: Removing an Eyesore of a Smilie

Post by Havok »

Where are all these "n00bs" using the shit out of the cannon smiley anyway?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

General Zod wrote:
MRDOD wrote:man we better not do anything to change this board. we can adblock things we don't want, and use greasemonkey scrips to enable strikethrough for all people with the same script, or the like.

also, fact: noob posturing always uses kill in more than one, so you never see a lone gunman.
:kill:
Who said anything about scripts? (A lame suggestion anyway). There's already a board feature in the user control panel to disable smileys as images entirely.
You missed the point- I was pointing out 'there is a way to block smileys in part or in whole yourself' isn't a valid reason not to remove a smiley that is completely useless and indeed only serves as a mark of idiocy, is ugly, and takes up a huge amount of room anyhow. "People can fix it on their own" is just a bad excuse for inertia.
havokeff wrote:Where are all these "n00bs" using the shit out of the cannon smiley anyway?
Last one I saw was the 100 Death Stars vs 10^100 Enterprises thread, if I remember correctly. Basically anywhere an avatarless member who thinks they're cool posts if they signed up in the past 20 days and are an idiot. It might be less common than I figure but each time it sticks out and bugs me.

And it seems to bug or at least be noticed by a lot of other people. I've seen a few 'meh' and several 'yes' in this thread- nobody is leaping forward to say "SHIT WE NEED TO KEEP THAT SMILIE" like for Wanker or for the finger giving smilie
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Call this a curmudgeon's opinon, but I say out with it.

It takes up far too much space as a smilie in terms of post length, and serves to show no real emoticon other than "I SHOOT BIG GUN" which...shouldn't be a smilie, in my somewhat humble opinion.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

General Zod wrote:[
There's an even simpler idea that makes this thread wholly unneeded. If you don't like smileys you can turn off the ability to display them as images in your profile. So all you'll see is smiley text.
Because people are of course complaining about smilies as a whole as opposed to a specific one they dislike right?

I'm assuming people don't want to lose all the smilies just so they don't see the cannon one.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote: Because people are of course complaining about smilies as a whole as opposed to a specific one they dislike right?

I'm assuming people don't want to lose all the smilies just so they don't see the cannon one.
How often does the cannon one get any use anyway? I can't recall any recent threads worth reading that actually have it in them.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I say that this is a non-issue. Oooh a cannon smiley, what an annoyance! Jeeze, don't you guys have something more important to complain about? I mean seriously, complaining about an infrequently used smiley is not only a big waste of time, it makes you look like a stupid douche.

:wanker: Smiley complaints :wanker:
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

General Zod wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: Because people are of course complaining about smilies as a whole as opposed to a specific one they dislike right?

How often does the cannon one get any use anyway? I can't recall any recent threads worth reading that actually have it in them.
That's the whole point. There are almost no threads worth the trouble of reading that use that particular smiley. Ergo, the board should get rid of it.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

For those who think their argument about disabling smilies or flash is an incisive debate-closer: is it not possible for someone to actually enjoy the sparse but artful placement of a few smilies and NOT want to ever see the cannon one? This seems a slight black-and-white fallacy.

For that matter, I think the sheer spammy ugliness of it makes a case for removal on principle alone, provided Mike and co. don't have better things to do.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: That's the whole point. There are almost no threads worth the trouble of reading that use that particular smiley. Ergo, the board should get rid of it.
Why don't we get rid of the devil/angel smiley while we're at it then? Or how about the lightbulb smiley? I can't remember any threads worth reading with those either, and clearly they almost never get used.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Are people really crying when they see the cannon smiley? I mean, are posts destroyed? Whole threads utterly falling apart? Lets hope no trolls figure out the dreaded cannon smiley kryptonite of Star Destroyer.Net. :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Just when I think the HoC can't possibly be more useless, someone rents a backhoe and starts digging it even deeper into the big pit of fail. Seriously, now we're down to bitching about a smiley. No, can't talk about anything useful, we're gonna whine about this thing :kill:

Hey, can we get a smiley of a monkey fucking a football and call it the :HoC:?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I again move that we vote on this issue to settle the matter.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I vote "this is silly!" :lol:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Coyote wrote:I vote "this is silly!" :lol:

I don't disagree, but instead of the current circle jerk a vote would at least get the issue shut the fuck down.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well make a vote thread. This is the House of COMMONS. You don't have to be Stark to start a vote thread here. :kill:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The amount of people getting butthurt over this thread is hilarious. Why don't you guys take your own advice? If this thread bothers you so much. Don't click on it. Its that simple.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Crazedwraith wrote:The amount of people getting butthurt over this thread is hilarious. Why don't you guys take your own advice? If this thread bothers you so much. Don't click on it. Its that simple.
Because saying this topic is a non-issue and a waste of time equals "butthurt", *I'm a smarmy asshole*. :wanker:
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Mr. Coffee wrote: Because saying this topic is a non-issue and a waste of time equals "butthurt", *I'm a smarmy asshole*. :wanker:
If you ignore it, then your time is not wasted. No-one's forcing you to use your oh-so-precious time to look over this thread.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote: Because saying this topic is a non-issue and a waste of time equals "butthurt", *I'm a smarmy asshole*. :wanker:
If you ignore it, then your time is not wasted. No-one's forcing you to use your oh-so-precious time to look over this thread.
No one was forced to make an inane thread complaining about smileys either. :wanker: :kill: :wanker:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Crazedwraith wrote:The amount of people getting butthurt over this thread is hilarious. Why don't you guys take your own advice? If this thread bothers you so much. Don't click on it. Its that simple.
The threads don't bother me, it is the asinine ideas contained in the threads. And really, if people on this board just ignored stupidity, it would be a pretty boring place.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

General Zod wrote:Why don't we get rid of the devil/angel smiley while we're at it then? Or how about the lightbulb smiley? I can't remember any threads worth reading with those either, and clearly they almost never get used.
I know you were being facetious in this post, but I say fine. The smilie graphics themselves take up a negligable amount of space on the server, I realize and accept that. However, given that the above specific smilies (cannon, angel/devil, lightbulb) apparently serve no useful purpose, I'd call them vestigial. Not a high priority to get rid of, but not exactly deserving of a tearful "save the smilies" campaign either.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote:
For someone accusing us of being butthurt you seem to be doing a whole lot whining. Perhaps it's because you don't actually have a reason for getting rid of it besides "I find it offensive"? I'm sure that will win a lot of support right there.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

:HoC:

Props to Darth Lucifer for the .gif
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

So this is the level of discourse people expect these days? Someone brings up an issue and the best you can do is just blather on and on for pages about how totally cool you are for not caring about it? The amount of futile histrionics here is just astounding.

MRDOD didn't come here demanding that all the smileys be redesigned to her wishes; she just pointed out that maybe there might be support for pruning a few smileys, and I'm sure of that support wasn't there it'd be cool too. But instead of using this as a jumping-off point for, oh I don't know, discussing the smileys that nearly every board member uses and trying to improve them, we've got the board drama whores blowing a fuse and beating the old "any discussion is bad discussion" horse. Because why should you calmly state you would like to keep a smiley when you can bring out the tough guy act, right?

It's worse than goddamn kindergarten.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Bounty wrote:So this is the level of discourse people expect these days? Someone brings up an issue and the best you can do is just blather on and on for pages about how totally cool you are for not caring about it? The amount of futile histrionics here is just astounding.

MRDOD didn't come here demanding that all the smileys be redesigned to her wishes; she just pointed out that maybe there might be support for pruning a few smileys, and I'm sure of that support wasn't there it'd be cool too. But instead of using this as a jumping-off point for, oh I don't know, discussing the smileys that nearly every board member uses and trying to improve them, we've got the board drama whores blowing a fuse and beating the old "any discussion is bad discussion" horse. Because why should you calmly state you would like to keep a smiley when you can bring out the tough guy act, right?

It's worse than goddamn kindergarten.
In the defense of the users of the HOC, I should have thought a little bit harder and realised that the people in the HoC are the same people as the people using the rest of this board and thus not tried to carry on a discussion about anything, since Board = Drama and FUCK TEH AUTHORITY come with every single thread posted in by certain members.