Commercials/Ads -- Do We need them?

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Commercials/Ads -- Do We need them?

Post by MKSheppard »

Just how much revenue do they bring in to help offset the cost of running the site anyway?

I'm finding that more and more often, it's banner ads or flash ads that spread virus payloads; I think I got hit Antivirus 2007 off a the old Yukupuu site for HPCA...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Commercials/Ads -- Do We need them?

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

These are GoogleAds, I think the danger of being infected with a virus from them is fairly small. As long as you don't click on them.

It'd be bad revenue for googel if they caused viroids to spread all over the internetubulewebs.

Don't worry too much about it, Sheppy-Poo! ^_____^
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I hadn't thought of the virus piggyback potential... I saw them as a source of amusement. Like when someone's arguing about religion and the adbots see words like 'Christian' and 'Church' in the subject matter and, all out-of-context, springs a banner for Christian Singles Near You. A nice, ironic chuckle.

How is revenue generated? Don't they send a few pennies every time someone clicks on them? If no one clicks on them, don't they algorithmically calculate a waste of effort and pull the ad?

Middle East threads seem to generate mostly "Learn Hebrew online" and "Muslims Singles Network" ads. Heehee.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

IIRC Mike mentioned that they help a great deal with off setting the cost of the board for him, and as he said in the stickied thread in here, most of us turds aren't exactly setting the paypal button on fire to help.

Is this even that big of an annoyance that it needs to be brought up?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Irony alert: the banner ad that I see at the bottom of this thread is about how to make your own banner ads and display them on websites.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

OK...does anyone really click on those ads? Really?

Well, if they do, why should the board save them from their own stupidity?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Thanas wrote:OK...does anyone really click on those ads? Really?

I'm afraid you don't understand. You don't have to click on the ads anymore; I never clicked on the ads on Yukupuu; and I still got hit by Antivirus 2007.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

MKSheppard wrote:

I'm afraid you don't understand. You don't have to click on the ads anymore; I never clicked on the ads on Yukupuu; and I still got hit by Antivirus 2007.

Get an ad\flash blocker. I do and I don't see the banner ads here.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

MKSheppard wrote:

OK. I'm not the most computer savvy guy, but how can you get a virus from an ad without clicking it? That would mean the code from the virus would have to be constantly transmitting through the ad?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

havokeff wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:

OK. I'm not the most computer savvy guy, but how can you get a virus from an ad without clicking it? That would mean the code from the virus would have to be constantly transmitting through the ad?
Yes, the virus is in the banner itself.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

If you don't want to see the banners (on ANY sites, not just this one), then all you have to do is get Firefox + AdBlock Plus and subscribe to one of the block lists. Presto, no more ads.

As far as I'm aware, there still is no way for a trojan to automatically run in Firefox anyway; you'd have to manually download and open it. If you're still using Internet Explorer 6, then you have no business being on the Internet anyway.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Crayz9000 wrote:As far as I'm aware, there still is no way for a trojan to automatically run in Firefox anyway; you'd have to manually download and open it. If you're still using Internet Explorer 6, then you have no business being on the Internet anyway.
Nowadays the favorite attack vector of malware is to exploit flaws in add-ons instead of the browser itself. Think about it, when was the last time you updated Flash, Realplayer, or Quicktime?
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Nowadays the favorite attack vector of malware is to exploit flaws in add-ons instead of the browser itself. Think about it, when was the last time you updated Flash, Realplayer, or Quicktime?
About a week or two ago... but then again, I'm running Ubuntu, so it helpfully notifies me when an update's ready. Flash on Windows does no such thing; QT does, but I think most users consider the Apple Updater an annoyance.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Crayz9000 wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:Nowadays the favorite attack vector of malware is to exploit flaws in add-ons instead of the browser itself. Think about it, when was the last time you updated Flash, Realplayer, or Quicktime?
About a week or two ago... but then again, I'm running Ubuntu, so it helpfully notifies me when an update's ready. Flash on Windows does no such thing; QT does, but I think most users consider the Apple Updater an annoyance.
Flash updates itself fairly regularly, but I don't think they're coming out with new updates every month. Of course, I'm always too busy to update it when the reminder pops up...
XXXI
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

MKSheppard wrote:I'm finding that more and more often, it's banner ads or flash ads that spread virus payloads; I think I got hit Antivirus 2007 off a the old Yukupuu site for HPCA...
Are any warnings originating from here?

If from here, what is the name of the virus? Are you sure it's not just a privacy warning (third-party tracking cookie, for instance)?
Later...