[VOTING] History Forum Moderation.

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

[VOTING] History Forum Moderation.

Post by MKSheppard »

My lawyers on retainer (Dewey, Cheatem & Howe) have advised me of the fact that the History forum is now moderated by Stas Bush and Thanas; despite my legimitate victory via board vote:

Link

4 -MKSheppard (History) 13% [ 47 ]
3 -Thanas (History) 10% [ 36 ] x
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: [VOTING] History Forum Moderation.

Post by Enigma »

History:
Thanas GMT+1 and EST time zones. Would defer to Stas Bush if Stas becomes History mod.
MKSheppard (Eastern US time zone)
Stas was to take one of the History mod positions if he was elected, so that would mean that the History Moderators are Stas and Shep *IF* Wong or any of the powers that be decided to go use the election results. What happened now could be either one of two things, A) they goofed and it should have been Shep not Thanas or B)It was intentional.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It was definitely intentional.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Without getting into personality conflicts, I think Shep is a bit more qualified than freakin' Thanas as History mod. He certainly has shown that he is not a big abuser of power with Imperial Wiki, and has a long history of, well, detailed exposition on history topics.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Again, no disrespect to Thanas, but this kinda sucks. As someone pointed out in the chat, back when Shep was a horseman he even resigned because he felt his personal issues were getting in the way of his job and I somehow doubt he would go on a killing spree if he were given modship of a subforum on a subject that he's particularly interested in and knowledgeable about.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Thanas wrote:It was definitely intentional.
Care to explain? Your response alone to me sounds like an intentional jab.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well as was stated, the voting was not a representation of how things were going to be, and just a general consensus and suggestion from the board at large that Mike and the Admins could accept or not. Looks like it was "not".
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Alternatively it could be poitned out that, and Coyote made wthis point MANY times, the board vote was a NON-BINDING reolution. In other words the "vote" as with the polling in regards to all other forum moderation issues was merely a suggestion that the admin staff could take under consideration.

Part of the reaosn I declined to participate is that the polls conducted had no authority in and of themselves except as a popularity contest for individuals perceived as being ready for Mod positions.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

CmdrWilkens wrote:In other words the "vote" as with the polling in regards to all other forum moderation issues was merely a suggestion that the admin staff could take under consideration.
So effectively anything we do in here, the house of commons, has no binding effect at all -- it's just a more rarified, high brow version of Testingstan.

With that in mind, since nothing we do here has any effect, we must immediately vote on whether to make "Bleeding Milkbag Whores" (c) Shroomy our new board motto, instead of "Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people"
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

MKSheppard wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:In other words the "vote" as with the polling in regards to all other forum moderation issues was merely a suggestion that the admin staff could take under consideration.
So effectively anything we do in here, the house of commons, has no binding effect at all -- it's just a more rarified, high brow version of Testingstan.

With that in mind, since nothing we do here has any effect, we must immediately vote on whether to make "Bleeding Milkbag Whores" (c) Shroomy our new board motto, instead of "Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people"
Pretty much. It is a suggestion forum to the Senate, which itself is a suggestion forum to the Admins. Of course if you had read what Coyote wrote, your panties wouldn't be all up in a twist now. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Essentially, for all the talk about having a board "senate", and all the "hey, let's give the plebes a say" with the HoC, the board is still run by whim an decree and personal grudges still apply. Suck to be you, Shep. I thought you'd have made a damned good history mod, homie.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

What makes you think it's a personal grudge related ruling?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

MKSheppard wrote:So effectively anything we do in here, the house of commons, has no binding effect at all
Mr.Coffee wrote:Essentially, for all the talk about having a board "senate", and all the "hey, let's give the plebes a say" with the HoC, the board is still run by whim an decree and personal grudges still apply.
Yes, you are essentially correct, and nothing that occurs in the Senate has binding effect, either. What you are talking about is layers of influence on policy, which proceeds from admins and Mike specifically. The House of Commons can be considered the outermost "official" forum; it is open to all and dedicated specifically to board issues, but because there is no selection at work in its membership the opinions there expressed carry less influence than the Senate, whose membership is selective. Ordinary staff, like myself, are empowered to enforce policy and, in the manner that they do so, alter its impact. Also, given that we are the sort trusted to enforce the rules, our opinions with respect to the same are privileged a higher value than the Senate. Admins are another level higher in terms of their ability to enforce policy as well as change it, and finally we have Mike, who is the final word.

None of this has ever even been a secret.

This does not mean that what you say in this forum has no practical effect, however, because we are paying attention to it and at least putting forth a minimal effort to keep you happy. It is also remotely possible for you to have good ideas we haven't come up with yet, and your requests form a useful justification to cite when breaking bureaucratic inertia.
Lonestar wrote:Without getting into personality conflicts, I think Shep is a bit more qualified than freakin' Thanas as History mod.
What qualifications are you talking about? Raw knowledge of history or your own personal familiarity with the candidate?
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Actuallty I was commenting morew about people holding grudges more then anything there, Pablo. I don't give a fuck who they are or how high up the food chain on the board they are, anyone that can say with a straight face that Shep wouldn't do an outstanding job as a History sub-forum mod is smoking crack.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Actuallty I was commenting morew about people holding grudges more then anything there, Pablo.
I wasn't privy to how the decision to pick Thanas was made, but to my knowledge no one who could realistically be accused of bearing a grudge against Shep was even involved; most of those people (Shep, at least, knows who I'm talking about) are basically on the inactive list anyway.

I'm also wary of speculation about these grudges moving the topic into really acrimonious territory.
--The Lord Humungus
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Whichever. Just adds more reason for me to laugh my ass off at anyone that takes either the HoC or the Senate seriously, Commissar Homie.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
What qualifications are you talking about? Raw knowledge of history or your own personal familiarity with the candidate?
Cute Pablo. Shep does have an encyclopedic knowledge of History, but then, so does Stas and Zeon, both of whom were considered for History modship in the Senate. I might add that there's nothing wrong with raw of knowledge, of, well, the subject matter of the forum in question.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Yeah, when it comes to military history, Shep's like Rainman.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

However, Thanas seems to have DETAILED knowledge of stuff that most people is unsure of. It is harder to find a good classical era historian as compared to a modern military one.

The lack of available info is one reason why the study of the classical age is much harder. Moreover, it is wise to point out that Thanas did publish several short and useful essays in the History forums.

It is not common see to see Roman Historians online tacking or going against Gibbon or Luttwak's works. Moreover, Thanas seems to have a stronger grasp of the Historical methods to judge if the essay that was published in question is reliable or accurate.

It is my view that for one to be a good history mod, you need to have a strong grasp in the historical methods used by professional historians, when they are doing peer review.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

To be fair, Shep, my knowledge of ancient history and most of the stuff preceding the Industrial Revolution (XVII-XX centuries) is... kinda lacking, and neither is it your pick as well, but this period also generates a fair share of threads.

And even very good moderation on military, political and industrial threads for all those centuries leaves a huge whole field of history untouched, which is not good.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I'm all for democracy here (old story, don't ask), but I have to wonder something. Shouldn't the criteria for whom moderates the history forum be the person who is best suited to the task of moderating itself? I know that being knowledgeable on history helps greatly, and being popular in the polls itself is rather fun, but still...

Anyway, Shep seems to be the favored candidate. He has the knowledge, and he hasn't blown up any forums recently. Why not let Shep, Stas and Thanas moderate said forum for better coverage?
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Lonestar wrote:Cute Pablo. Shep does have an encyclopedic knowledge of History, but then, so does Stas and Zeon, both of whom were considered for History modship in the Senate. I might add that there's nothing wrong with raw of knowledge, of, well, the subject matter of the forum in question.
I wasn't arguing that there was anything wrong with knowing a lot about history, I was just wondering why you thought Shep necessarily knew more about it that Thanas. Not only does Thanas have a strong base of knowledge in classical history, he also appears to be trained in historical method. I don't think he's ever come out and explicitly cited his educational background, and I wouldn't ask him to do so, but just issuing a blanket statement that Shep knows more about history than Thanas simply isn't fair or necessarily accurate.
--The Lord Humungus
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I was wondering, why do we have to limit history mods to 2 people? Why can't it be 3?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
I wasn't arguing that there was anything wrong with knowing a lot about history, I was just wondering why you thought Shep necessarily knew more about it that Thanas. Not only does Thanas have a strong base of knowledge in classical history, he also appears to be trained in historical method. I don't think he's ever come out and explicitly cited his educational background, and I wouldn't ask him to do so, but just issuing a blanket statement that Shep knows more about history than Thanas simply isn't fair or necessarily accurate.
Well, when I think of "History nuts" on this board, Shep, Zeon, and Stas come to mind(and Skimmer as well). I didn't even know who Thanas was when I saw the half-started recent match. I freely admit that Shep knows more about the "stuff that goes boom" era of history than any other, but a not insignificant number of history threads are from that era rather than classical times. Certainly a number of threads disproportionate to the actual time span of history.

But as long as we're talking about educational background being important(forgetting for the moment that the historical method isn't unknown to Shep, he goes out to college campuses and research centers on his own to look up archival stuff), why not just toss RI in there as he has a degree in history>
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Red's already a supermod and he's on a self-imposed break anyway. Pablo has already said everything else that needs saying.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die