Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Peptuck »

For those of you who have never played it, X-COM: UFO Defense (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown) was a strategy game released way the fuck back in the last millenium. Probably one of the best games ever made. Wiki here.

The fundamental premise is pretty simple: Aliens are invading. The world's most powerful governments (plus Nigeria :wtf: ) have chosen to establish an international covert operations unit known as the EXtraterrestrial Combat Unit to fight them. Unfortunately, they pay you chump change, arm you with crappy weaponry, and are most quick to pull both of those if you screw up.

Fortunately, the aliens are just as incompetent, though vastly more technologically advanced. You shoot down their UFOs, kick them in the balls, take their stuff, and kill them better. Eventually you figure out what they want, where they're coming from, and how to crotchstomp ther invasion FOR THE IMPERI- er, for the sake of humanity.

Currently taking suggestions for the name of our first base. Also, in lieu of specfic weaponry, please choose one of the following specializations for your soldier:

-Assault: Soldiers who will be using automatic weaponry, grenades, and stun prods for room clearing. Have dibs on all the sweet armor. Totally not cannon fodder. >.>
-Weapons: Soldiers with high Strength. Will carry heavy weapons (rocket launcher, autocannon, etc.) Likely to blow themselves up.
-Sniper: Soldiers with very high accuracy. Will carry rifles and provide long-ranged fire. Probably going to be totally misused and die horribly in a fire, the way I play.

So, who wants to join up and die- er, fight for mankind?
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by weemadando »

I demand the Autocannon loaded with HE or Incendiary rounds. I also humbly request that I do not get raped (literally) by a Chrysalid, blasted by a Mutoid or be psychically comandeered by a Ethereal.

I know those are long odds, but it would be greatly appreciated.

And remember - the only defence against the invaders is scorched earth. If there is a single tile left at the end of an enounter which isn't burnt/rubble, then you haven't done the job properly.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

I wanna be a Heavy Weapons Guy, by the name of Heavy.

The base will be called... Skynerfed!
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

weemadando wrote: And remember - the only defence against the invaders is scorched earth. If there is a single tile left at the end of an enounter which isn't burnt/rubble, then you haven't done the job properly.
A man after my own heart.

Addendum: Also taking applications for whatever lucky sumbitch who wants to drive the HWP tanks from the safety of home base.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Addendum: Also taking applications for whatever lucky sumbitch who wants to drive the HWP tanks from the safety of home base.
That'll be me ;)
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
eyexist
Padawan Learner

Post by eyexist »

I totally wanna be an Assault Weapons guy. Watch me get assimilated by a Chryssalid and take out half my squad before I give birth to a new one :D
Member of the PRFYNAFBTFC - Black Ops Division. Captain of the MFS Linda Lovelace
Rainbows make me cry.
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

Oh-ho. One of THESE! It is spreading! :D

I call Private Expendable, the one guy with a stun rod in one hand and a smoke grenade in the other!

And his five billion clones. Because we unearthed the Project Perseus cloning center but we can't get it to produce soldiers of DECENT quality anymore after 40 years of disuse.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Special Delivery! High-velocity lead from 100+ meters away!

(Here's my vote for a Sniper-ish sort of character.)
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

rhoenix wrote:Special Delivery! High-velocity lead from 100+ meters away!

You might be disappointed. Sniper-spotter tactics are great once you get enough accuracy but until then you'll miss a lot and aimed shots take so many TUs they're not worth it in the early day.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

MJ12 Commando wrote:
rhoenix wrote:Special Delivery! High-velocity lead from 100+ meters away!

You might be disappointed. Sniper-spotter tactics are great once you get enough accuracy but until then you'll miss a lot and aimed shots take so many TUs they're not worth it in the early day.
At least until you get laser rifles.

Prior to that, we do things Stalingrad style. :twisted:

rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

MJ12 Commando wrote:You might be disappointed. Sniper-spotter tactics are great once you get enough accuracy but until then you'll miss a lot and aimed shots take so many TUs they're not worth it in the early day.
While true that the early game is more difficult for such types, the patience required is well-rewarded. When I used to play XCOM, I normally trained 4 of my 8 soldiers to be snipers in preparation for later, and worked on shooting skills for all 8.
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

rhoenix wrote: While true that the early game is more difficult for such types, the patience required is well-rewarded. When I used to play XCOM, I normally trained 4 of my 8 soldiers to be snipers in preparation for later, and worked on shooting skills for all 8.
As long as you shoot people at all you gain shooting accuracy, so unless you're going all-grenades you'll gain other stats.

Someone should LP TFTD on Superhu-AAAAARGH MY BRAIN IS STRANGLING ME
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

MJ12 Commando wrote:As long as you shoot people at all you gain shooting accuracy, so unless you're going all-grenades you'll gain other stats.
Well, of course - someone has to properly shoot the Blaster Launcher.
MJ12 Commando wrote:Someone should LP TFTD on Superhu-AAAAARGH MY BRAIN IS STRANGLING ME
You really must be a masochist for even thinking that.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Please throw Private GuppyShark into the thick of danger. Assault.
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

I call a slot in the squaddie (more probably rookie -kia- ) expendables lineup.

I hope my death is better than your average "rookie rounds corner/exits skyranger/enters room/stands still/shoots and misses enemy and gets shot by an unseen alien" death.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Alright, got seven soldiers plus a tank driver, and a (suggested) base name. I'll probably get this one started tommorrow, once we pad out - er, finish recruiting additional troops. Standard Skyranger capacity is ten troops plus a tank, or fourteen troops without a tank. (and if we need backup cannon fodder, MJ12 has been kind enough to volunteer his genetic code.)

Also, forgot to mention this, but we're also accepting applications for Interceptor pilots, and if anyone wants a cameo role as the Skyranger pilot, that's cool. I've already figured out who's likely going to be our base commander, head scientist, and head engineer.

Also, uh, this is somewhat embarassing, but I'm not that brilliant when it comes to computers, so....

How do I take screencaps? I'm not sure how I do that. Otherwise this is going to be a pretty dull LP.

MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

If you're using Dosbox I believe it has an inbuilt screenshot ability somewhere (check the readme). If you're not, you can use one of the free screen capture programs you can find on the internet (I used Screenhunter 5.0 Pro I believe), as those work just fine in my experience.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Peptuck wrote:Alright, got seven soldiers plus a tank driver, and a (suggested) base name. I'll probably get this one started tommorrow, once we pad out - er, finish recruiting additional troops. Standard Skyranger capacity is ten troops plus a tank, or fourteen troops without a tank. (and if we need backup cannon fodder, MJ12 has been kind enough to volunteer his genetic code.)

Also, forgot to mention this, but we're also accepting applications for Interceptor pilots, and if anyone wants a cameo role as the Skyranger pilot, that's cool. I've already figured out who's likely going to be our base commander, head scientist, and head engineer.

Also, uh, this is somewhat embarassing, but I'm not that brilliant when it comes to computers, so....

How do I take screencaps? I'm not sure how I do that. Otherwise this is going to be a pretty dull LP.
You can just PrtScn (Print Screen) and paste into the image editor of your choice if X-Com is happy with alt-tabbing.
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

weemadando wrote: You can just PrtScn (Print Screen) and paste into the image editor of your choice if X-Com is happy with alt-tabbing.
Not going to work at all. I've done a couple of LPs and believe me, you'll be taking dozens to hundreds of screenshots in shortish periods of time. You'll shoot yourself in the head after the first ten minutes of gameplay if you don't use a screen-capture program, so do yourself a favor and use the latter.
eyexist
Padawan Learner

Post by eyexist »

MJ12 Commando wrote:
Not going to work at all. I've done a couple of LPs and believe me, you'll be taking dozens to hundreds of screenshots in shortish periods of time. You'll shoot yourself in the head after the first ten minutes of gameplay if you don't use a screen-capture program, so do yourself a favor and use the latter.
Preferably this one.
Member of the PRFYNAFBTFC - Black Ops Division. Captain of the MFS Linda Lovelace
Rainbows make me cry.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Picked up Screenhunter 5.0. Looks like it works pretty well. PrntScrn wasn't working well with X-COM anyway, kept giving me empty pictures.

Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Peptuck wrote:So, who wants to join up and die- er, fight for mankind?
Volunteering, I want a stun-rod and flares. ;)

Also, some versions of UFO/X-Com have a built-in screenshot capability. For the CE version, use F12. It will make a .TGA file in your game directory.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

I'll take the Interceptor pilot. Though once the battle starts, my name here will likely be reduced to "Coal" or similar.

And once you develop Alien Alloys, I will demand they be fitted to the Interceptors (and SkyRanger) to improve survivability.

Of course, the decent thing for a game editor would be redesigning the Blaster Launcher Tank to use the same ammo as the regular Blaster Launcher.

Hmm, other options - redesign the Plasma Defenses so they use the weaponry from Battleships (so you have to build the Plasma Defenses first, then as you capture alien Battleships, you add the actual weapons).

Another person recommended that the Firestorms be modified to carry 3 weapons, that Lightnings are actually the fastest craft, while the Avenger is the ultimate long-range transport (with two guns on it).
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Alright, I'll jump in this, provided I'm rocking some seriously high explosives. Aiming is optional.

Code: Select all

By careful statistical analysis, X-COM Tacnet has determined that the top killer of X-COM operatives is the common doorway, with a slightly less lethal variant to be found in a Form B-2 Window. Accordingly, all units are hereby directed to employ High Explosive bombardment of structures suspected of housing XT infiltrators. This list including, but not limited to: farmhouses, townhouses, opera houses, mansions, retail and wholesale distribution outlets, outhouses, dog houses, movie theaters, warehouses, Tommy Lee Jones's house, and other such edifices. Specifically excluded from this tactical directive is the use of saturation-bombardment on alien craft, both due to the fact that their hulls are remarkably resilient to human-produced explosives, and the fact that the insides are worth more than few expendable rookies anyway.
By a quirk of the engine, HE stops at walls. It'll destroy the wall, but not anything on the other side, so that even works on terror sites. Just...don't try THAT part with blaster launchers. They pass walls. >.<
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I volunteer to meet the alien menace head on, face to ugly face.