[Proposal]: Common TV Show Threads

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Do you agree with this?

Yes
11%
No
89%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 19

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

[Proposal]: Common TV Show Threads

Post by Solauren »

I have noticed a lot of 'episode specific threads' popping up, particularly in the Sci-Fi section of the board. you know 'discuss tonights Heroes episode', 'discuss tonights Terminator episode'.

While this is 'well and good' for some, I'm finding it annoying. Sure, polls are nice, but please, it's getting redudant.

I'd like to purpose a rule be created and adopted that limited the number of 'just watched it reaction/discussion threads' on a TV show to one, with the 'current' thread getting locked at the beginning of the new season. (The locking is optional).

i.e there would be one 'Terminator: The Sara Conner Chronicles, Season 2' reaction thread. There would be one 'Heroes Season 3' reaction thread. There could be only one 'Highlander' thread (if another Highlander TV show were to appear).

What say ye all?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: [Proposal]: Common TV Show Threads

Post by General Zod »

Considering how large discussion threads on individual episodes can get, this seems like a great way of giving the mods an even bigger headache to deal with if something needs to be split.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I concur with Zod. One thing that usually happens, but not recently, is fucking real-time updating on episodes. This happens a lot in the nBSG episode threads. I vaguely recall a moderator asking everyone to cut that shit out, but it still happens. If that shit stopped, some of the threads wouldn't be as large as they are.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I disagree with that proposal - especially since the next logical step would be to throw every thread pertaining to one franchise into one huge megathread.

Also, every T:SCC thread runs for three pages at least, with four seeming to become more and more common. Just doing the simple math would mean that we would have a ~70 page monster for the whole of Season 2. Which would make it impossible for anyone to take a serious look at the individual episodes. What if someone has not seen every episode or does not wish to discuss one particular episode?

Quite frankly, I do not thing the forums need 70 page threads that would require everybody new to the series to wade through in order to discuss an episode.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

It ain't broke, and it don't need fixin'.

To put that in English . . . some of those threads can get really large, and it would be a chore to wade through a single uber-thread just to find out WTF people are talking about when they're referencing something that happened at the beginning of the season, or during some prior season. I imagine it would also be a chore to moderate a single large uber-thread, especially for some of the more popular series around here.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Thanas wrote: What if someone has not seen every episode or does not wish to discuss one particular episode?
Pretty much the deal breaker. There is no way to jump in the middle. "Do I go to page 57 for episode 13, or do I go to page 60? How do I know what episode is being discussed?"
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Anyone who has ever tried to find something in a 40-page uberthread knows what a PITA it can be... :x
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
To put that in English . . . some of those threads can get really large, and it would be a chore to wade through a single uber-thread just to find out WTF people are talking about when they're referencing something that happened at the beginning of the season, or during some prior season. I imagine it would also be a chore to moderate a single large uber-thread, especially for some of the more popular series around here.
I have seen some of those threads go twenty pages. It does not need to be a common thread of any kind. It's fine as is I agree.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I never considered how big a combined thread could get.

I hereby withdrawl my proposal. If someone would be so kind as to lock?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Solauren wrote:I never considered how big a combined thread could get.

I hereby withdrawl my proposal. If someone would be so kind as to lock?
Done

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton