Black Mesa Source nears release

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Re: Black Mesa Source nears release

Post by VF5SS »

Man, I can't wait to play it and get to the point where Xen sucks all of the fun out of the game. Fucking Xen. And don't think I've forgotten about that factory level either. Who the hell puts conveyors full of mincy things on top of huge towers? What has to smashed up there that can't be smashed closer to the ground? And are we going to fight those spazzy assassin chicks too? The source engine can make their black leather super shiny.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

I don't remember a lameass factory...

I do remember Residue Lame Platform Puzzle level though, that sucked. So did a lot of Xen, and fighting the fucking ninja...lousy stupid "oh you totally can't hit me because I liek, jump and shit lol".
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I remember using the shotgun against them a lot. Also used the gauss rifle to nail them through crates a few times.

But yeah, Xen... lot of bad memories there. Wonder how they'll do with the enhancing of it.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I never actually made it to Xen. I kind of lost interest when I couldn't get past opposing force troops on the surface, and started playing CS and Diablo2 instead. Since then I've played through HL2 and the episodes, so it's kind of hard to go back to the original with such a downgrade in visuals.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

VF5SS wrote:Man, I can't wait to play it and get to the point where Xen sucks all of the fun out of the game. Fucking Xen. And don't think I've forgotten about that factory level either. Who the hell puts conveyors full of mincy things on top of huge towers? What has to smashed up there that can't be smashed closer to the ground? And are we going to fight those spazzy assassin chicks too? The source engine can make their black leather super shiny.
The models for those assassin are already available on the website.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

ray245 wrote: The models for those assassin are already available on the website.
Aw jeez they've got Aperture Science Cybernetic Jumpy Legs!
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Darwin wrote:
ray245 wrote: The models for those assassin are already available on the website.
Aw jeez they've got Aperture Science Cybernetic Jumpy Legs!
I rather like that they gave the assassins the Aperture Science Cybernetic Jumpy Legs, gives them a connection to the rest of the larger Half Life world.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they included a lot of details. Documents with odd looking things on them, humorous posters, NPCs going about their lives, etc. I love that stuff.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

So one of those Steam pop-ups telling me what my friends are playing popped up and made me do a double take.

Black Mesa is live
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Jaepheth wrote:So one of those Steam pop-ups telling me what my friends are playing popped up and made me do a double take.

Black Mesa is live
Holy necro, Jaepheth.

More recent thread is here.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Terralthra wrote:
Jaepheth wrote:So one of those Steam pop-ups telling me what my friends are playing popped up and made me do a double take.

Black Mesa is live
Holy necro, Jaepheth.

More recent thread is here.
Sorry, I skimmed over that one after searching because it specified "soundtrack" in the title. :oops:
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Same with Dishonored, which has no real technical gimmicks worth mentioning, but it looks absolutely stunning in the design/art department. It's the Unreal engine btw.

And thanks to that, the game works excellent on even a dated PC, in highest settings with hd resolution.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Also, I've played the mod when it was in the pre-zen stages and it didn't really appeal to me.

It's like everything is there, but they missed out on some crucial ingredients that made HL1 so good. It's a good mod/remake, but it's down to details: sound isn't as good as it was (they recorded their own voiceovers, didn't use anything from the old game), especially weapon sounds. Also, levels seem a bit shorter and maybe a bit dumbed down - no real sense of exploring a huge hidden research base under alien attack. So no real sense of accomplishment.

Also, soldiers in HL1 seemed much more aggressive and formidable.