New Moderator Nominations HERE

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

New Moderator Nominations HERE

Post by Coyote »

It seems fairly obvious that a call for More/New Moderators has a great deal of popular support. So, that said, let's start thinking about who would fill these positions. Let's consider a range of people who tend to be on board a lot; people from a variety of different time zones; and people who we can agree are going to use their power wisely and for the benefit of all, and handle miscreants with stern fairness.

You can nominate others, or nominate yourself. We can discuss their forum interests, willingness, fairness, potential conflicts of interests or problems, and so on.

For now, let's develop a good field of nominees, let's start with a maximum of 16, and then we'll vote for 8 potential Moderators to submit Darth Wong for approval. We can expand this later so this may not necessarily be the only round. Of course, Darth Wong has final say, and can veto all 8 if he chooses.

So far, the following people are nominated:

Lonestar
Broomstick
Publius
Ma Deuce
havokeff

First of all, do these people even accept the nominations?

Where do the nominees see themselves spending most of their time?
Are there any potential conflicts of interests or reasons not to support any of them as Mods?

EDIT: RedImp's considerations added here--

1. Your interests. Please be specific--list all forums and how much you participate in each one. Also, tell us if there is a forum you absolutely do not want to moderate, or (this is critical) one you feel you cannot or should not moderate.

2. Your availability. This is obvious.

3. Your time zone. Ideally, the most active forums will have moderation most of the day.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: New Moderator Nominations HERE

Post by Coyote »

Also, the Senate volunteers from here

Stas Bush
GrandMasterTerwyn
The Duchess of Zeon
Yosemite Bear
Coyote
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Simplicius has joined the list of interested sucke..err... um, worthy nominees.

Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I nominate Shep and Elfdart, but only if they can moderate together :wink:
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:I nominate Shep and Elfdart, but only if they can moderate together :wink:
They are disqualified, as it is scientifically proven that any attempt to match "Shep" and "Elfdart" with the concept of anything "moderate/moderation" causes kittens to spontaneously turn inside out! :P

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I'd volunteer myself, having had experience as a moderator, and even a super moderator on other forums; however, I simply don't think my presence on the board has been anywhere near extensive enough to justify such a position. Furthermore I think I need to work on the 'less flame inclined' mentality SDN has infected me with. :P

With that said, I'll give my support to Coyote and Broomstick, as I think they'd both make excellent moderators and I'd be inclined to trust their judgement...even if it were against me. ;)
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, seeing as I am one of the more active posters in that forum, I would like to put myself forward for the position of History mod. It probably is the only forum I have any interest in moderating at all and besides OSF the only forum I would desire to have modship over. Rest assured I will cut down mindless ramblings or +1 posts mercilessly.

Note that this only applies in case Stas does not take the mod position himself, e.g. if he takes over N&P. So please treat this as a backup application.

1. Your interests. Please be specific--list all forums and how much you participate in each one. Also, tell us if there is a forum you absolutely do not want to moderate, or (this is critical) one you feel you cannot or should not moderate.
History forum: One of the more visible posters there, especially when it comes to antiquity and the renaissance. I think my posts there speak for themselves.
Other Sci-Fi: I post frequently, though my interest is limited in Doctor Who, T:SCC and Andromeda.
As for the rest of the forums, I post when I have something to say and mostly lurk. I really do not think I am qualified to moderate anything but the History Forum or OSF.

At the moment, 9AM-11PM.

3. Your time zone. Ideally, the most active forums will have moderation most of the day.
Currently, it is a catch between GMT+1 and EST. At the moment I travel between the two quite frequently.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

1- Lonestar
2- Broomstick
3- Publius
4- Ma Deuce
5- havokeff
6- Stas Bush
7- GrandMasterTerwyn
8- The Duchess of Zeon
9- Yosemite Bear
10 Coyote
11 Surlethe
12 Ender
13 Bubble Boy
14 Thanas

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Since volunteering oneself is apparently an option, I'd like to volunteer myself for PST.

I'm online for about ten plus hours a day, and I'm pretty damn immersed in Trek.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Coyote wrote:First of all, do these people even accept the nominations?
I am flattered to be nominated and will serve to the best of my abilities should I be chosen.
As a poster, I spend my time mostly in Off-Topic, News & Politics, and SLAM. However, in the past there has been some concern expressed that one or several of those are not ideal places for a new moderator to learn the ropes. My "second tier" interests are Other Sci-Fi, ARSE, and Fantasy. I would have no objection to moderating anything, though, as I trust Mike and the rest of the staff will not throw me into waters deeper than I can handle.
See above for my major interests. I might be better able to maintain impartiality outside of my primary interests (OT, N&P, and SLAM). As I would be new to moderating it might also be best if I started out with something other than a contender for "most active area on SD.net". I think that I would be good for ARSE given that I have a lot of life experience and a stable 20+ year marriage - think of me representing the long-term monogamous heterosexual element.
I usually sign on between 4 am and 7 am US Central time (though usually not for the full 3 hours!) and also later in the day, somewhere between 5 pm and 10 or 11 pm Central (again, not usually for the full time span)
US Central
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Unless a bit more time on the board is required, I volunteer.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Oscar Wilde wrote:Unless a bit more time on the board is required, I volunteer.
You're going to have to make just a little stronger case than that.

Okay, a lot stronger.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Oscar Wilde wrote:Unless a bit more time on the board is required, I volunteer.
Uh, not to be rude, but your virtually non existent history should make it blinding obvious you are not qualified for being a moderator, if for no other reason than no one here knows you in any way or if you even have basic grasp of board rules and application of them. (Unless of course I've seriously misinterpreted SDN's community, which I highly doubt in this case)

I've been on the board for just a hair more than two years with fifteen hundred posts under my belt, and even I would judge my qualifitication as a potential moderator as 'uncertain'.

At best, I'd submit I would qualify as a 'backup' potential moderator if other well known and longer standing members are unable or unwilling to step forward, which I would hope isn't the case.

While the role shouldn't be considered a excessively serious undertaking, it does require a degree of maturity, consistency, impartiality and knowledge of the board. Obviously long term members are and should be the first pickings in that regard.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

meh, just throwing it out there. Nevermind.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I'm interested in moderating in Pure Star Wars. Of course, I'm not very active, but I do regularly and constantly check that forum. I wouldn't feel comfortable in any of the more high-traffic/inflammatory forums (N&P I'm looking right at you). I'm on Pacific Standard Time, and I'm usually on from about 10 AM (6PM GMT) to around 11PM (7AM GMT), later on weekends.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

You know what, I might as well toss my hat in.

Interests: SLAM and N&P, I see fairly high activity on both forums and indeed they are where I spend most of my time. I lack the interest or qualification to really deal with the other forums, other than perhaps the fantasy or off topic forums which see low-moderate levels of my posts.

Availability: I generally check the forums intermittently through the day, typically in the morning, noonish, and evenings. Though some days such as weekends see a lot more of me.

Time zone: US Central. IIRC GMT-6
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Coyote wrote:First of all, do these people even accept the nominations?
I accept Cpl Kendall's nomination after PMing him as to the reason why he put myself on that particular list with, who I find, to be some exemplary posters and contributors to the board. As well as taking into account Coyote's and *possibly Ghost Rider's endorsement.
As one of the board DEVILS dedicated to the destruction of board culture I obviously spend a lot of time in testing. :P To be perfectly honest, it is fun place full of silliness that I enjoy. I have multiple threads going in AMP which contain my own artwork. These are the main forums which I participate in, although I read most, if not all, the threads in OT, N&P, SLAM, ARSE, Fantasy, PSW , HoS, The Imperial Senate and Parting Shots. I participate as much as I feel I can in those threads listed with the obvious exception of The Senate and Parting Shots, obviously. :D
Are there any potential conflicts of interests or reasons not to support any of them as Mods?
I'm sure there are a few people that don't like me on this board, but I don't know if that would necessarily be a conflict of interest. This however, is a question best answered by others.
1. Your interests. Please be specific--list all forums and how much you participate in each one.

STvSW: Virtually no participation. I honestly can't remember making a single post in that forum, although I'm sure I have.

PSW: Some participation. Mostly in the movie only threads as I have come to detest the EU and as a consequence don't know much about it anymore.

PST: Minor participation. I love TOS, TNG and DS9 and will readily talk about them, but I am certainly not well versed in the intricacies of ST lore in general.

Fanfics: I have posted one little story idea in there and that is it. I have contributed some artwork to a few people's stories. My wife has a Batman... well, OK, a Joker fanfic, which I read and IT IS AWESOME. :D

OSF: Minor participation. Most of the other Sci-Fi on the board doesn't really interest me, or I just don't have time to get involved heavily in the few that do.

Fantasy: I enjoy this forum a great deal. I enjoy talking about the movies that fall into this forum as well as comic books, which should be rather obvious if you follow my artwork.

SLAM: I read most of the threads in this forum, but have only a handful of posts in there. Most of the topics fall far outside my scope of knowledge to talk about them with anything but the most basic and general terms, so I leave it to the "big brains". My few posts in there are almost exclusively questions. I don't have any
problem understanding the topics though. :P

OT: Outside of AMP and Testing, this is where most of my participation falls. I'd like to think that I have contributed positively in this forum, although this is where the thread, that I started, which lead to the recent cycle of board drama originated.

AMP: I have three, maybe four, art threads going in there at the moment and I enjoy looking at and offering constructive criticism of the other posters art as well.

N&P: I participate slightly less here than OT. Mostly because I am quite an opinionated and outspoken person and I try to avoid getting into obviously inflammatory topics or debates. Not because of the atmosphere here, but because of my experiences in RL and the less than intelligent people that are in it. It often times has resulted in hurt feelings and even physical violence. Says something about the type of people in my life and probably myself.

G&C: Minor participation. Mostly tech help and gaming discussion and help.

ARSE: Minor participation. On occasion, I will give advice, but as I have said in other posts, my life experiences with the opposite sex are certainly not the norm for here, or most anywhere else, and I seem to be a unique case when it comes to women in general. Or so Jenn says. :D

HoS: I've obviously helped a few threads get here, but I don't believe I've been solely responsible for any one particular thread ending up there. I will certainly and have, thrown my 2 cents into a thread that gets sent here.

Parting Shots: One day I'm sure. :D

Testing: There is a forum called Testing?? :shock:
Also, tell us if there is a forum you absolutely do not want to moderate, or (this is critical) one you feel you cannot or should not moderate.
SLAM for certain. (Although it doesn't seem to require much more attention than it already gets) Even though moderation doesn't necessarily require absolute understanding of every single topic, being told what to do by someone who admittedly has little knowledge of the topics being discussed seems like it would be annoying in the least, and absolutely infuriating at the most.
I work Tuesday through Sat from 10am to 7pm, but I have internet and board access most of the day. At night, after about 2 hours at the gym, I am usually drawing at my drafting table and have the computer and the board up for hand cramp breaks. :) So from about 9pm to 3-4am I could be active. Along with the time at work, I can give coverage for most of the day. Sun and Mon are football days until the middle of Feb, but, obviously, I still browse the board.
Pacific or GMT -8

On a personal note; I really like this board and a large portion of it's posters. I've made some actual friends who's opinions and thoughts I value. It has also served as an immense source of entertainment for me since I have joined, and I have absolutely no problems with volunteering my time to keep it running smooth and trying to keep people here and participating. That said, until Kendall put fourth my name, I honestly didn't think I had earned any of the respect that would be necessary to be taken seriously as a Mod, I'm still not sure that is the case, but here I am. If Mike and the other admins, or whoever makes the final decision on this matter deem that I'm OK for a mod, I will do the best job I can.
Also, if I, or anyone that is considered a regular poster in testing were given a Mod position, it might shut up some of the whining about testing being picked on, which I am quite frankly fucking sick of hearing as it is absolutely not true.

If I had a choice on which forums to moderate, I would chose OT, N&P which need the most help, AMP, which Beowulf has well in hand, Fantasy, which GR and Nitram, when he is able, also has well in hand. The idea of being a Horseman is, I won't lie, very appealing and sounds like quite a bit of fun. However being able to mod Testing would just be the best as those turds in there are in need of some severe oppression!

Jeez... sounds like I am running for office. :lol:

*Ghost Rider MAY have been trolling the other Mods when he offered that he wouldn't mind seeing me as a Horseman, which I guess, has been the entry level Mod position. :P
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And since I've posted in this... place... and can't take it back, it doesn't matter if I post more.

I would like to second, if that is how it goes, Thanas's nomination for a mod position. We certainly don't share a lot in common and I'm not a fan of his seeming lack of sense of humor, but I have found myself stopping and taking more time on his posts as of late as he usually has something productive and informative to add to whatever discussion he is in. I would have no qualms with taking direction from him as a mod.

I would also like to nominate Illuminatus Primus and Bounty for consideration as they also fall into the same category that I mentioned above.

I also think that Mr. Coffee has shown great ability to flame with abandon and he takes extreme joy from it, so I would like to nominate him for position of Horseman, if that is open and being considered in this thread as it is a minor Mod position.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

1- Lonestar
2- Broomstick
3- Publius
4- Ma Deuce
5- havokeff
6- Stas Bush
7- GrandMasterTerwyn
8- The Duchess of Zeon
9- Yosemite Bear
10 Coyote
11 Surlethe
12 Ender
13 Bubble Boy
14 Thanas (for History)
15 Mr Coffee
16 Bounty
17 Illuminatus Primus
18 Alyrium Dentryle (for non-fiction forums)
19 Desertfly (for Pure Star Wars forum)
20 Gandalf (for Star Trek)

A good list.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Can't we make all of them moderators?

The presence of moderators will be hugely amplified and they can enforce the board more.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

ray245 wrote:Can't we make all of them moderators?
No.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

ray245 wrote:Can't we make all of them moderators?

The presence of moderators will be hugely amplified and they can enforce the board more.
That is what we like to call "overcompensating." With the number of nominees + the existing staff = too many mods for comfort or efficiency.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Figured I'd give it a shot and toss my name in, what the hell.

StvsSw, PST, PSW: I almost never post in these forums, so I'd be of no use in them.

Fanfics: Never post and avoid it like the plague.

OST & Fantasy: Post somewhat in both, though I'd be of more use in Fantasy given I'm pretty familiar with the genre.

SLAM: I sometimes participate in ethics discussions, but there's others more qualified.

OT: I'd be able to do this, but it's also a low traffic forum and generally bullshit free, so it doesn't really need a lot of help.

N&P: Post frequently and tend to be fairly flame resistant. Only a few things generally set me off and I'd like to think I could handle things evenly.

G&C: I post from time to time, but same as SLAM. Plenty of others more qualified than me.

ARSE: I post perhaps once every six months, no thanks.

As far as availability, I'm probably in a unique situation in that I generally have a consistent ability to check the board since my job lets me surf from work so long as I get my job done.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'm present much of my working day, active and qualified to mod-ify GnC. I'm in a different timezone to 70% of the board and my participation level is high.

STvSW,PST,PSW - pffft
OSF,FAN - I post here but have little interest in moderating the nature of discussion here.
SLAM,OT - rarely check these forums, no interest in moderating them.
N&P - it'd be fun to moderate this forum, which is one of the more interesting, but I have no education or experience to offset my political unacceptability.
ARSE - it's low activity and I don't check it unless something pops up on new topics. Again, it'd be fun, but it'd never happen.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I'd nominate Mad (If he is still around and willing to) because I've known him a long time and he's relatively immune frfom the sorts of flame-fests that infest the board. He's also been quite responsible and logical (and grown more so sincec I knew him back in the day on SB.) I think he'd be a definite asset to the board.

Kuronkeo continually amazes me with his contributions when he does. He's one of the things I think embodying what SD.net represents (or at least what it did when I first joined.) and if he wanted he'd be a good addition to the mod staff.

Knife has impressed me quite a bit as well in various debates and contributions, I think he would make a good mod too.

And while I believe Frank Hipper is a mod already, he could probably be utilized for other purposes (I think he still is in N&P a fair bit, ,for example) so why the heck not add him.