A Trip to Istanbul (56kps, simply not safe)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

A Trip to Istanbul (56kps, simply not safe)

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

By request, DEATH asked if I could upload more photos of my trip last year.

So.. to start off with, the nicest pictures in my collection.

The Hagia Sophia. A 1000 year old build still standing, since Justinian's time.

The Hagia Sophia at night.

Another beautiful shot

Simply not enough shots can do this beautiful structure justice. A true testament of Roman Engineering

The entrance

The interior.

Constantine the Great offering the city of Constantinople on the left, and Justinian offering the Church of Holy Wisdom (Hagia Sophia) on the right.

John II Komnenos and his wife, I believe.

Just outside the Blue Mosque, or the Sultan Ahmed Mosque. What you see here is what's left of the Hippodrome.

The Obelisk in the Hippodrome (one of the few things left standing)

A closer look at the mosque

Inside

Another shot of the mosque.

Night shots

The entrance into the Topkapi Palace

The palace grounds of the Topkapi Palace

One of the many rooms

One of the many courtyards

A model of the Topkapi Palace. Notice the walls around the palace, obviously meant to deter sea based landings.

Views of the Bosphoros from somewhere on the edge of the Topkapi Palace.

The Roman Cistern (near the Hagia Sophia. It served the... since demolished Byzantine Imperial Palace.)

Inside the Roman cistern

Roman Aqueduct

Remnants of the Walls of Constantinople...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: A Trip to Istanbul (56kps, simply not safe)

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Some very nice photos there :D.

3d Photo of the Sophia is the best, the second is too blury/Cameraphile nitpick.
Topkai Palace is nice. The Roman Cistern is awesome, that thing looks more like a fucking castle!
Where the heck did they get an Obelisk? What Mosque was that?

Damn, it's been almost a year since I went to Turkey, and years since I went inland, I need to revisit... :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Nice pictures, and you were lucky to visit such a beautiful city. I'm hoping to get there myself in the next few years; shouldn't be too hard since one of my friends is a Turkeyphile :D
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

I too, have pictures of Istanbul

Obligatory picture of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque

Istanbul at sunset, from one of the ferry boats, I think

And a couple pictures from the Grand Bazaar

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

DEATH wrote:Some very nice photos there :D.

3d Photo of the Sophia is the best, the second is too blury/Cameraphile nitpick.
Sadly, I'm not too good with cameras, and I need to curb my impulsiveness, which I tried. I will check if I have a nicer picture.
Topkai Palace is nice. The Roman Cistern is awesome, that thing looks more like a fucking castle!

I wish I took more of the Topkapi palace, but there wasn't much to take since i was inside and not outside. I'll post up some pictures of the... Harems later. :P

AS for the cistern, actually, a lot of the late Roman architechture was extensively copied by the Europeans. Hence the similarities.

[quoteWhere the heck did they get an Obelisk? What Mosque was that?
I remember reading where they grabbed the Obelisk, but I am guessing Egypt. You will note the hierogyphics.

The mosque in question is the Sultan Ahmed that was built after some disastrous defeat. It is the biggest Mosque in the Muslim world if I am not wrong. They practically copied most of the Hagia Sophia design on the other hand.
Damn, it's been almost a year since I went to Turkey, and years since I went inland, I need to revisit... :)
Yes, it is a darn nice place. I hope to revisit and go to Ephesus across the Bosphoros. :P
Bounty wrote:Nice pictures, and you were lucky to visit such a beautiful city. I'm hoping to get there myself in the next few years; shouldn't be too hard since one of my friends is a Turkeyphile :D
Yeah it's a great place for a visit. Just be careful with the very aggressive shopkeepers. Food is good too. I would go as far as say that Istanbul ranks alongside Rome in its beauty, though I haven't gone to Rome yet.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Bounty wrote:Nice pictures, and you were lucky to visit such a beautiful city. I'm hoping to get there myself in the next few years; shouldn't be too hard since one of my friends is a Turkeyphile :D
Yeah it's a great place for a visit. Just be careful with the very aggressive shopkeepers. Food is good too. I would go as far as say that Istanbul ranks alongside Rome in its beauty, though I haven't gone to Rome yet.
The shop keepers are fine, we usually buy our food on a daily basis from marketplaces when we're there :P.

And sorry, but the lovely lady has much better people shots than yours. (Although your building/landscape shots are much better). Sorry J, you forgot the bribe ;)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

DEATH wrote:(Although your building/landscape shots are much better). Sorry J, you forgot the bribe ;)

The Cappadocia region's famous stone homes, complete with a rather odd looking camel. :D
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

J wrote:
DEATH wrote:(Although your building/landscape shots are much better). Sorry J, you forgot the bribe ;)
The Cappadocia region's famous stone homes, complete with a rather odd looking camel. :D
By the gods, what a hideous monstrosity. :P
Photography