Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Slowly wrapping around the front now, paneling as I go.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Still going, did a few more parts today.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Still going

erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

It's looking amazing as usual. One complaint: in the last picture, the fourth turret from the right seems closer to the top of the terrace than the rest. Since the (undoubtedly beefy) power feed comes in from the back on these mounts, that turret seems like it wouldn't quite fit with the big sheet of armor right above it.

Or maybe it's the sixth turret from the right, I just saw two more that I hadn't seen previously. Grr.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^Well I've always thought the terraces are actually a layer outside a vertical armored bulkhead, with access for power lines etc. cut into that. The exposed structures are, well, exposed only because they need access to the exterior of the ship - but beneath that the armored structure is still maintained. Not all of the machinery associated with these systems need actually be right there - in fact, for the capacitors of small MTL/point defense turrets, it may well make more sense for them to be largely internal, and accessed only by power trunking.

Main turrets and windows starting to go up.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

I've gotta say-if it were me, I'd be cutting down that base for the Medium Trubolasers. They don't need all that turret mount for their small size and low-quality barrels.

There must be some reason for the mediums being nearly as big as Heavies. Longer range for decreased power maybe? Multi-function flack/anti-corevete guns that need the extra length to get any appropriate barrel lifetime?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well, the turret itself is tiny in comparison to the heavies. But yeah, mediums confuse me too.

Anyway, moving onto the axial defense turrets.

Three single 720-teraton turbolasers.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Assembly:

Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

No garbage dump on the neck of the tower like and ISD?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^Possibly, might add one later, though I don't see one in the refs, but then again this isn't *too* closely following all the potential allegiances out there.

Disentangled the sensor domes, and adjusted the reactor to be further aft and into the hull.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some comparisons:

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That last one will be a bad ass desktop when it is finished and gets a proper star field and shadowing. Nice work. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

This is really incredible looking! After you've completed the SD, have you thought about any other ships you'd like to model?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Considered doing a customs corvette actually. Not entirely sure.

Allegiance updates are slow because I just started a new job. And am playing too much games for my own good in the time that's left over. It will be finished though, just not as quickly as the Bellator.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Finishing up the trenches.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I've been watching this thread for a while. You are truly skilled in the work that you do fractalsponge1. Without a doubt, you are an artist. I have a hard time putting things together cohesively in the simplest formats, and here you are putting together minute details on ships of incredible size and complexity. Outside of rough outlines of the design from the comics you have fully fleshed out the details in your mind and put together some incredible pieces. Do keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing a finished Allegiance as well as future projects.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Thanks Alyeska. Slower going now, new job, new city, etc.

Working on some engine details last night.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

So, expanding the engine detail, with and without nozzle shots so you can see the greeble better.

Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I really like the nozzle arrangement.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I just have to say, I am always impressed by your ability to cram int he detail.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Getting there:

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Engines are done.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Very nice, I might have thrown in a pair of secondaries on the 'wings' for turns but very nice indeed. The only thing that confuses me at all is th turbines that seem to vent into the ship partially :mrgreen:

BTW, are those 'flaps' out there on the far left and right? They definitely look like they might be hinged, and we've seen some interesting engine baffles and such before in SW ships.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well, still paying some lip-service to the comic references. These are also not exactly small engines by way of comparison to an ISD's - my way of reconciling how that much more power can still go into the same number of nozzles as the smaller ship.

The "flaps" look like they might move, but the Avenger model details don't have any indication of that. If they were the machinery to redirect the ion stream, they must just work by applying fields across the stream; not like they extend far enough to actually physically direct the thrust. Of course, I have a suspicion they might just be radiator surfaces (never really identified on the OT ICS).