When Two Worlds Collide (TGG - nBSG crossover) Completed.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I should have mentioned, I liked Lee's speech too. A good endpoint.

It's a real pain when you write yourself into a corner like that and have no choice but to slog through bits you've lost interest in, to get to the final scenes you've had in mind for some time. It's not fun for the writer, and usually not much fun for the reader. For the perpetual first draft that most fanfic tends to be, it's understandable, but looking back I think I've encountered published works that start to drag right when they should be building toward a climax. Can't think of any book in particular.

My lack of patience for that sort of thing is probably half of why I never got into writing, the other half being my minimal creativity.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Alan Bolte wrote:I should have mentioned, I liked Lee's speech too. A good endpoint.

It's a real pain when you write yourself into a corner like that and have no choice but to slog through bits you've lost interest in, to get to the final scenes you've had in mind for some time. It's not fun for the writer, and usually not much fun for the reader. For the perpetual first draft that most fanfic tends to be, it's understandable, but looking back I think I've encountered published works that start to drag right when they should be building toward a climax. Can't think of any book in particular.

My lack of patience for that sort of thing is probably half of why I never got into writing, the other half being my minimal creativity.
Well, another factor here is that I'd intended for the kamikaze battles, which was just the same thing over and over and over again, to be exactly that. The same thing over, and over, and over again, exhausting and wearying everyone in the crews. So I may have succeeded too well in depicting that the combat was monotonous and unending from the perspective of everyone continuously awake on Dhirisma's bridge trying to handle it. Or I just fucked up.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Morilore wrote:Here I was hoping so fervently that Baltar would get what was coming to him, and you go and make me feel sorry for him.
I am a rather talented writer, and Tisara is a rather talented sadist.
And yet, despite it all, Baltar got off better than if he had committed treason against the British crown prior to the 19th century.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

That was just awesome, however you may have felt you'd written yourself into a corner it read well.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Morilore wrote:Here I was hoping so fervently that Baltar would get what was coming to him, and you go and make me feel sorry for him.
And yet, despite it all, Baltar got off better than if he had committed treason against the British crown prior to the 19th century.
I'm not entirely sure that being hung, drawn, and quartered isn't preferable to that. I hear that being flayed is unpleasant.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Master_Baerne wrote:I'm not entirely sure that being hung, drawn, and quartered isn't preferable to that. I hear that being flayed is unpleasant.
So is having your entrails removed and burnt before your eyes. The English would also often torture the victim before the actual execution. Then there's the French version, where the hand was burnt to a crisp with molten lead, the body torn apart by horses pulling on each limb, and the often still-living torso set on fire. The Russian version was surprisingly benign by comparison, the executioner chopped off each limb in turn, then the head.

Though given a choice between any of these, I would take my chances with breaking my own skull open against the walls of my cell.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Well, Tisara was still constrained by social morality.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Master_Baerne wrote:I'm not entirely sure that being hung, drawn, and quartered isn't preferable to that. I hear that being flayed is unpleasant.
So is having your entrails removed and burnt before your eyes. The English would also often torture the victim before the actual execution. Then there's the French version, where the hand was burnt to a crisp with molten lead, the body torn apart by horses pulling on each limb, and the often still-living torso set on fire. The Russian version was surprisingly benign by comparison, the executioner chopped off each limb in turn, then the head.

Though given a choice between any of these, I would take my chances with breaking my own skull open against the walls of my cell.
In any case, better to avoid the issue entirely.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Re: When Two Worlds Collide (TGG - nBSG crossover) Completed

Post by lord Martiya »

Just finished reading this story. A magnificent one.
I started reading the TGG stories out of interest about the Federation Civil War, and until now I kept close to those involving Star Trek... But now I'll read the whole series. Thanks, author.