Eldar Guardian Backpack Knobs

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Eldar Guardian Backpack Knobs

Post by Zor »

Does anyone know what those knobs sticking out of the back of Eldar Guardians are for?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: Eldar Guardian Backpack Knobs

Post by Ted C »

Zor wrote:Does anyone know what those knobs sticking out of the back of Eldar Guardians are for?

Zor
I don't know if it's explained anywhere, but I would guess comm or sensor gear.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

As Ted C says, Comms or sensor gear is quite likely, various images/schematics have variously described the myriad bulges and vanes found on vehicles and wargear used by the eldar as such.

Interestingly, the crazy hairstyles are apparently sensor systems sometimes as well, concept art for the Striking Scorpions and a wee bit in the new rulebook describes them as such, as well as IIRC the tall helmets.

Other candidates include power sources, bits of wraithbone drawing energy from the warp/sun/ambient snurgleweeb particles etc, fancy bits that are ritually attached to Guardian armour without any actual use etc.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

D'you mean the actual vanes sticking up, or the little egg-shaped bumps? I once went nearly insane painting all those bumps as gemstones, before realising the error of my ways. :)

By the way, If I'm looking at it right, the Dawn Of War II demo video seems to show that Banshee helmets are only facemasks; after the dreadnought drops the one it flames, it looks like you can see the scorched back of her head.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Whatever the vanes are, the elite warriors of the Dire Avengers don't have them, even though the rest of their armour is identical. The only real difference is that some Dire Avengers have a fancy, camera-like device that sits behind a single shoulder, or a sheath for a wraithbone sword. Guardians are also the only Eldar whose armour does not contain the spirit stones (or spirit essences) of previous wearers, and they are the only form of Eldar armor with those particular types of vanes, besides Wraithguard, Wraithlords, or Farseers (where the vanes are on their helmets). Thus, I would guess that the vanes on a guardian are sensors or repositories for the suits' computers/spirits/access to the webway, or both.

andrewgpaul wrote:D'you mean the actual vanes sticking up, or the little egg-shaped bumps? I once went nearly insane painting all those bumps as gemstones, before realising the error of my ways. :)
I tried the same thing, too. Now, I just do the same old "washing and drybrushing" technique on them that I do on everyone else.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett