Armageddon???? - Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

EdBecerra
Padawan Learner

Post by EdBecerra »

Edward Yee wrote:Oh, and I meant if you stick around, I'm going to keep calling you Ed. ;)
If I'm Ed, does that mean you're Edd? :lol:
P.S. To one of those in the know... does the name Herwijer have any special significance? It doesn't sound... human.
I'm not in the know, but it sounds... I'm not sure, but it sounds vaguely Norse, OLD Norse, as in Vikings and the like. Reminds me of Icelandic types I know who have REALLY old family names dating back to the years the island was settled.

Meh. I'm probably reading things between the lines again.

Ed. (with one "d". :D )
Edward A Becerra
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Alright, this thread has hit 103 pages, about 53 pages past the point the board software goes all wonky when you try to mod it. Stuart, if you don't mind, go ahead and post the next part in a new thread, and then we'll lock this one.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Could it possibly be split at a more rounded number for neatness? The last thread was locked at chapter 50.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Edward Yee wrote:P.S. To one of those in the know... does the name Herwijer have any special significance? It doesn't sound... human.
Herwijer is a Dutch family name. And that's all I know about that subject.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

RedImperator wrote:Alright, this thread has hit 103 pages, about 53 pages past the point the board software goes all wonky when you try to mod it. Stuart, if you don't mind, go ahead and post the next part in a new thread, and then we'll lock this one.
The last thread was locked at 143 pages, 3500 posts and 460,000+ views. Armageddon is in its final days now so I'd suggest we leave it open until the last parts are up then do the locking if required. I can't do the locking anyway so that's somebody else's decision.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stuart wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Alright, this thread has hit 103 pages, about 53 pages past the point the board software goes all wonky when you try to mod it. Stuart, if you don't mind, go ahead and post the next part in a new thread, and then we'll lock this one.
The last thread was locked at 143 pages, 3500 posts and 460,000+ views. Armageddon is in its final days now so I'd suggest we leave it open until the last parts are up then do the locking if required. I can't do the locking anyway so that's somebody else's decision.
He's just asking that you make a new thread as soon as you can. Red or another supermod will lock this one.

The reason is that a few posters are using the unweildly size to debate like a retarded chimp and makes it hard to actually prune the topic. To avoid that issue is to essentially make a new thread.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

Sidewinder wrote:
Bayonet wrote:Then again, it would be nice to recreate the art of making Tartar Candles.
What's a Tartar candle? The form of execution where you put a person in front of a cannon, tie his/her limbs to the barrel, and then fire the cannon?
Nah. That's messy and spectacular, but quick.

A Tartar Candle is a nasty trick the Poles used; presumably learned from their Tartar neighbors.

You start by impaling someone in the normal way.

The hands are tied over the head to a second, longer stake. The hands are wrapped in tightly packed straw, soaked in pitch. They are lighted from the top.

It gave a cheerful light, and burned throughout the night.

You can thank Henryk Sienkiewicz for that one.
- Dennis
--
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.
-Frederick the Great, 1777
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

Fyrwulf wrote:Question. Isn't what Kim is doing technically treason?
I don't think anyone knows. By Common Law, contracts are terminated by death. It was kinda hard to enforce them post mortem. ;-) I believe the old British Navy notation when a sailor lost the number of his mess, was DD - Discharged Dead.

I'm sure there's no case law on the subject, and probably no legislation, yet. This is political theory on an entirely new level.

My gut feeling is no, she completed her military and national obligations when she was died.
- Dennis
--
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

EdBecerra wrote: For that matter, what about your BODY?

I mean, damn, how creepy would it be to meet your family (who've just flown to Hell, courtesy of Expedia.com), and they thrust a little urn into your hands.

"Hi, son, here's your earthly remains, we think it belongs to you..."

*shudder*
How about using your own skull for a dinking bowl? :shock:

Egads, I just realized I'd probably have to deal with my ex-wife for all eternity. :roll: :shock: :roll:
- Dennis
--
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Bayonet wrote:
EdBecerra wrote: For that matter, what about your BODY?

I mean, damn, how creepy would it be to meet your family (who've just flown to Hell, courtesy of Expedia.com), and they thrust a little urn into your hands.

"Hi, son, here's your earthly remains, we think it belongs to you..."

*shudder*
How about using your own skull for a dinking bowl? :shock:

Egads, I just realized I'd probably have to deal with my ex-wife for all eternity. :roll: :shock: :roll:
"Til death do you part."

Although that might change with some couples.
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Post by Bayonet »

Singular Quartet wrote:
Bayonet wrote:Egads, I just realized I'd probably have to deal with my ex-wife for all eternity. :roll: :shock: :roll:
"Til death do you part."

Although that might change with some couples.
Oh, your legal and religious obligations cease. In my case they'd be doubly terminated by divorce and death. But if you have any joint interests (the most obvious one is kids) then there is still relationship. You really can't get rid of an ex.

As far as forever relationships, I hope the subsequent wives all like each other. :twisted:
- Dennis
--
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Stuart wrote:
It's generally board policy to lock threads that go over 50 pages because of software issues. Once threads get that long, it becomes largely impossible to split out tangents/flamewars or merge in redundant threads. As far as the decision to lock, that would be mine--I have mod powers over this forum, being a supermod.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

On another note, I except THAT chapter to be coming soon.
What do I mean THAT chapter? I mean the one when it seriously sinks in to the folks back home that every single person who's died in the last thousand year is down there.

Sure you have famous people, you have your Elvis, we've already meet Caesar. We know that Washington is down there somewhere, and we've spoken about Lincoln being there and named a dozen more famous people are down there. But what about the rest?

What do I mean?

Think about it, think about the Jews, knowing Hell they know that Hitler is down there somewhere, as is Gobbels, Himmler, Josef Mengele and a dozen other butchers. The SS is down there in full. But you know who's also down there? The whole of the Holocaust, people we've read about, people who have a face, think not just about the fact that Shakespeare is down there, but also Ann Frank.

And it's not just them, the King is down there, by that I mean the whole of the British Royalty in the last thousand years, for better or worse is down there somewhere. Along with your Einstein's you have your Stalin's, you Mao's... for Xenu sake Lenin's down there somewhere...

Speaking of Xenu so is L.Ron Hubbard... And the whole of the Heaven's Gate Cult, the Jims James folks and every kook in the last thousand years.

For every great person in history we have a someone who is a hero to some and a villian to others, and for every one of those we have a true monster.

It's still not sunk in, not in any real way and it won't until the first serious recently dead famous person comes back publicly. When someone goes to the swamp and pulls out a man who hacking announces that his name is Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. People still have no concept of what that kind of thing is going to be like and I expect Stuart to spend a full chapter on it.

Think people, just think on the impact of someone like Benjamin Franklin getting pulled from the fire on America. Or Lenin on Russia? Every country has one such figure that could change a country just by their reappearance. While we won't be getting Muhammad, what about Saladin? The changes on society still bear thinking about.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Mr Bean wrote:On another note, I except THAT chapter to be coming soon.
What do I mean THAT chapter? I mean the one when it seriously sinks in to the folks back home that every single person who's died in the last thousand year is down there.

Sure you have famous people, you have your Elvis, we've already meet Caesar. We know that Washington is down there somewhere, and we've spoken about Lincoln being there and named a dozen more famous people are down there. But what about the rest?

What do I mean?

Think about it, think about the Jews, knowing Hell they know that Hitler is down there somewhere, as is Gobbels, Himmler, Josef Mengele and a dozen other butchers. The SS is down there in full. But you know who's also down there? The whole of the Holocaust, people we've read about, people who have a face, think not just about the fact that Shakespeare is down there, but also Ann Frank.

And it's not just them, the King is down there, by that I mean the whole of the British Royalty in the last thousand years, for better or worse is down there somewhere. Along with your Einstein's you have your Stalin's, you Mao's... for Xenu sake Lenin's down there somewhere...

Speaking of Xenu so is L.Ron Hubbard... And the whole of the Heaven's Gate Cult, the Jims James folks and every kook in the last thousand years.

For every great person in history we have a someone who is a hero to some and a villian to others, and for every one of those we have a true monster.

It's still not sunk in, not in any real way and it won't until the first serious recently dead famous person comes back publicly. When someone goes to the swamp and pulls out a man who hacking announces that his name is Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. People still have no concept of what that kind of thing is going to be like and I expect Stuart to spend a full chapter on it.

Think people, just think on the impact of someone like Benjamin Franklin getting pulled from the fire on America. Or Lenin on Russia? Every country has one such figure that could change a country just by their reappearance. While we won't be getting Muhammad, what about Saladin? The changes on society still bear thinking about.

The irony is, people can't exactly kill each other again. Well...it is extremely hard anyway.

Which is going to have a interesting effect in how society function in hell.

We MIGHT have a massive civil war going on in hell.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: They know Belial isn't dead yet. Recall when Belial's above-ground fortress was blasted and Memnon and the undead Special Ops team observed part of Belial's retinue engaged in an organized retreat from the palace.
No. They know that part of Belial forces survived and retreated, and this means that the threat still exists. The character opinion is that he isn't dead, but other analysts may well disagree.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

I want to know how they plan on dealing with all the human souls in Heaven that will side on the side of the angels as they honesty belive it to be the right thing.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Are we ever going to see one of the people who died to the message finding out just how wrong they were ?

Maybe them even trying to protest against the war on Heaven ?
EdBecerra
Padawan Learner

Post by EdBecerra »

bilateralrope wrote:Are we ever going to see one of the people who died to the message finding out just how wrong they were ?

Maybe them even trying to protest against the war on Heaven ?
Now THAT would be hilarious - and very difficult to write, at least from certain viewpoints.

For that matter, will some of them STILL believe?

I recall one of my more fervent neighbors arguing with my mother, and my mother's retort, "Who are you going to believe, the Bible or your own damn eyes?!"

The annoying little woman smiled serenely and said that she'd believe the sky was green - if the Bible told her so. Then she snipped out that it wasn't her job to think, only have faith in her master, and walked away. I really think Mom was about to strangle the little annoyance.

On the other hand, there will be plenty out there in Heaven who'll realize that they've been lied to, and lied to contemptuously.

What about the people who lied down on command and died when the Message came? Where exactly did they end up? Hell? Or were any of them allowed into heaven?

And those in Hell, how's their faith? Do they still think they worship a just god? Are they sitting (or standing, or being crucified...) there, taking it with relatively good grace because their God told them to do so, like some overly loyal dog who "sits!" because Master told them to sit?

I'd better cut this off here, because the questions just keep bubbling up...
Edward A Becerra
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

What do I mean?

We will never see that chapter. We will see that book. I asked this in a PM and was told that this kind of stuff is in book 3. (I asked about Israel just saying "Fuck You" to the rest of the nations and launching a raid on their own to grab Hitler)
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

So, is God's counterstrike when he learns of Satan's death going to involve Gustav strengthening into some sort of impossible Category 6 with 250mph winds the size of the entire Gulf that slams directly head-on into NOLA? That would certainly be an appropriate way to end the story--God Strikes Back, and now we have to bring the war to him. Also darkly appropriate.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
EdBecerra
Padawan Learner

Post by EdBecerra »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:So, is God's counterstrike when he learns of Satan's death going to involve Gustav strengthening into some sort of impossible Category 6 with 250mph winds the size of the entire Gulf that slams directly head-on into NOLA? That would certainly be an appropriate way to end the story--God Strikes Back, and now we have to bring the war to him. Also darkly appropriate.
God Strikes Back... Followed by Return of the Bush? :lol:

Come to think of it, flaming swords aren't that different from lightsabers... :D
Edward A Becerra
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

It's almost a shame this isn't a crossover fic, I just had a vivid mental image of Michael lashing out with a flaming sword at some cowering figure only to hear the classic snap-hiss sound effect.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

What do I mean?

What would fascinate me the most would be how thick and amazing the world history of the past 1000 years would be, with virtually all the first person accounts from every level of class, race, and so forth down there (those that haven't turned into insane wrecks, at least). Someone could write a history of the American Civil War from virtually every possible viewpoint from Abraham Lincoln to various confederate housewives just off the first-person accounts alone combined with good archaeological and existing histories, assuming they could be located in Hell. It would be incredibly exciting, at least for me.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:So, is God's counterstrike when he learns of Satan's death going to involve Gustav strengthening into some sort of impossible Category 6 with 250mph winds the size of the entire Gulf that slams directly head-on into NOLA? That would certainly be an appropriate way to end the story--God Strikes Back, and now we have to bring the war to him. Also darkly appropriate.
Oh yes, quite appropriate, Gustav means "staff of the gods".
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:

What do I mean?

What would fascinate me the most would be how thick and amazing the world history of the past 1000 years would be, with virtually all the first person accounts from every level of class, race, and so forth down there (those that haven't turned into insane wrecks, at least). Someone could write a history of the American Civil War from virtually every possible viewpoint from Abraham Lincoln to various confederate housewives just off the first-person accounts alone combined with good archaeological and existing histories, assuming they could be located in Hell. It would be incredibly exciting, at least for me.
But do people have such a good memory?