Watchmen trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I have not read the comics, and yet i found the line already quoted incredibly awesome. Also, while i was a little bit skeptical about the glowing blue man, the cgi for him was flawless. So that's an opinion from an unbiased viewer
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:It doesn't make sense even from a neutral perspective. The guy is a perfectly simulated male, like a blue Vitruvian man. That's not bad CGI at all, although the fact that he's blue and seemingly godlike might give others a few odd thoughts.
This is why I gave him a pass for his lack of knowledge about the other characters -- some of them do look a little silly, Nite Owl especially -- but not for the CGI on Dr. Manhattan. I should have thought that that was clear enough, but I've been criticized for my lack of clarity in the past.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Buddha
Youngling

Post by Buddha »

I saw the trailer and even though it didn't make sense, it's interesting. I might have to read the graphic novel it's based on and then see the movie. I wish I knew about this a while back. I hope this isn't the one with Keanu Reeves in it. :lol:
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Buddha wrote:I saw the trailer and even though it didn't make sense, it's interesting. I might have to read the graphic novel it's based on and then see the movie. I wish I knew about this a while back. I hope this isn't the one with Keanu Reeves in it. :lol:
Er, no. That'd be "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Slight difference. ;)
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:It doesn't make sense even from a neutral perspective. The guy is a perfectly simulated male, like a blue Vitruvian man. That's not bad CGI at all, although the fact that he's blue and seemingly godlike might give others a few odd thoughts.
From the clips in the trailer, it didn't look good. It wasn't "flawless" as someone here earlier claimed. Something about the proportions didn't quite look right.

I also find it incredibly odd that people are bashing me for my "ignorance" of the original work. Is this movie an invite-only affair, just for people who are fans of the comic? Get over yourselves.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
From the clips in the trailer, it didn't look good. It wasn't "flawless" as someone here earlier claimed. Something about the proportions didn't quite look right.

I also find it incredibly odd that people are bashing me for my "ignorance" of the original work. Is this movie an invite-only affair, just for people who are fans of the comic? Get over yourselves.
I wasn't bashing you for it -- I was using your ignorance to explain your statements. Yes, when viewed without knowing the story, the costumes do tend to look a little goofy, but as this is supposed to be how they look, more or less, then they actually look right. As I said, this is a useful perspective, but if what you're trying to say is that the costume designers (for example) got something wrong by going in the direction that they did, then no, that's where the usefulness of your perspective ends.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

SCRawl wrote: I wasn't bashing you for it -- I was using your ignorance to explain your statements. Yes, when viewed without knowing the story, the costumes do tend to look a little goofy, but as this is supposed to be how they look, more or less, then they actually look right. As I said, this is a useful perspective, but if what you're trying to say is that the costume designers (for example) got something wrong by going in the direction that they did, then no, that's where the usefulness of your perspective ends.
If it is supposed to look bad, then I guess they got it right. But the general tone of the trailer was quite serious, which doesn't seem to mesh well with goofy character design.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The tone of the comic is deadly serious. The slightly goofy designs are supposed to stand out. The essential point of Watchmen is a deconstruction of the concept of the costumed superhero, and how silly they would, in reality, be.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The whole point is "how can you take yourself seriously when you dress up like a giant owl or like some sadomasochist Greek".

The Comedian was the only vigilante who seemed in on the joke.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Vendetta wrote:The tone of the comic is deadly serious. The slightly goofy designs are supposed to stand out. The essential point of Watchmen is a deconstruction of the concept of the costumed superhero, and how silly they would, in reality, be.
Rorschach's costume is incredibly impractical, but doesn't look at all goofy to me. But yeah, one problem I had at first with the movie designs was that Nite Owl's costume didn't look goofy enough.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!