IoM vs New Republic

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

IoM vs New Republic

Post by Setzer »

Take the New Republic just before the Vong war, and the Imperium of Man circa in M41, and throw them together. Assume all other opponents are removed.

For the sake of this thread, the two galaxies will overlap, like a Venn diagram. Each galaxy's outer limits will be somewhat close to the center of the next one.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

As always, what role does chaos play here? If they are active the NR needs to find a way to protect against them. If they are inactive, that frees up a shit ton of IOM units.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Re: IoM vs New Republic

Post by Setzer »

Setzer wrote:Take the New Republic just before the Vong war, and the Imperium of Man circa in M41, and throw them together. Assume all other opponents are removed.

For the sake of this thread, the two galaxies will overlap, like a Venn diagram. Each galaxy's outer limits will be somewhat close to the center of the next one.
Tyrian2000
Youngling

Post by Tyrian2000 »

Wouldn´t psykers completely fuck up the new republic?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Tyrian2000 wrote:Wouldn´t psykers completely fuck up the new republic?
Psykers will remove the NR's naval superiority how?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Tyrian2000
Youngling

Post by Tyrian2000 »

Darksider wrote:Psykers will remove the NR's naval superiority how?
There are Alpha psykers that can mind control thousands of civilians. They could turn ships against each other.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I was thinking more in terms of political will. The IoM is certainly more willing to fight a war all out. OTOH, they're a lot like a deep sea fish that falls apart when there isn't enough external pressure on it. So what would happen if their enemies disappeared? Would a war with the New Republic be enough to keep secessions down to the usual level?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Tyrian2000 wrote:There are Alpha psykers that can mind control thousands of civilians. They could turn ships against each other.
The Imperium also does not actually control said psykers. The most powerful Imperial psykers are Beta at best, and rare to boot.

What's this about NR naval superiority, though? The Empire, sure, but as much as I always liked the NR... these are the wusses that couldn't stop a little extra-galactic foothold and subsequent invasion (something the IoM, by comparison, deals with on practically a daily basis).

If Chaos is automagically wished away, it introduces all sorts of problems into the scenario. What is the effect on the Warp? The Astronomicon? The Emperor? Psykers? All of these things are suddenly operating at 100% again, whereas the IoM normally manages to eek by with only a fraction of its true potential. The Warp is clear for ultra-fast travel, the Astronomicon becomes unnecessary, the Emperor no longer has to fend off the Chaos Gods, and psykers no longer have self-imposed limitations on their own power or the corruptive effects of Chaos, effectively turning afore-mentioned Beta psykers into juggernauts who make Wankatine look like a whipped bitch.

40k is a cohesive, holistic universe that cannot be cherry-picked into a versus debate well.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Tyrian2000
Youngling

Post by Tyrian2000 »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:The Imperium also does not actually control said psykers. The most powerful Imperial psykers are Beta at best, and rare to boot.
I actually misread the OP, and thought it was the NR versus the whole 40k universe. My bad.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Alright, for the purposes of the thread, the usual perils of the warp still exist, but the Chaos Space Marines are out of the picture. Knowing the IoM, thy'll probably enjoy several precious seconds before some fresh warp spawned monstrosity makes their lives difficult, but they'll be good seconds.
Ar-Adunakhor
Jedi Knight

Post by Ar-Adunakhor »

If 1/3 of the IoM's galaxy is superimposed on the SW galaxy then we can pretty much say that (sizes being equal) 1/3 of the population of the SW galaxy will suddenly have demons erupting from their foreheads and such.

Gotta be bad for morale.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The New Republic has the usual advantages of firepower and speed and industrial potential that the Empire has. They are, however, not nearly as militarized nor as uniformly controlled/lead. This affects the sorts of military responses they might utilize (no WMDs or BDZs, prboably no offensive war) and the assets they have available (fewer large ships, despite the Black Fleet Crisis ctastrophe)

Removing the Vong from the equation does not remove the fact that the New Republic of the NJO was rather corrupt and inefficient and even rather stonewalling. They also lack the centralized Navy of the Empire - a great deal of their naval forces are concentrated with larger member-state Navies.) They're also going to have problems with effiienciy in various key roles (particularily shipbuilding.) compared to the Empire.) To be honest, I don't think the NR is even as large as the Empire territorially (a million systems? A few million tops?)

There's also the fact they have too few Jedi (not that Jedi would neccesarily have made a huge advantage against all the 40K Psykers...)

The Imperium, on the other hand, is HEAVILY militarzied (over-militarized) has a huge amount of territory (tens of millions to billions of worlds), probably far larger fleets (millions if not tens of millions of warp-capable warship, and many times that number of lesser ship) They also have WMD and BDZ level capabilities and are NOT afraid to use them. THey too have their inefficiencies, slower construction capabilities and FTL, and lack of "unified" governing of its member states, but this is less a problem as the Imperium is purposefully oriented towards this.

The real thing here is that the NR is going to be seen as a massive group of heretics for consorting with aliens and Xenos filth and their rampant use of technology (same way they regard human swho collaborate with the Tau.) and they will almost ceratinly launch a Crusade, Lacking any other large scale threats, they can devote LOTS of resources to this (including, I imagine most if not all Space Marine chapters, sororitas, AdMech Explorator fleets, Rogue Traders, and so on and so forth.) The NR certainly will NOT intiitiate hostilities on its own, ,and will not employ the sortt of tactics teh Empire would (IE BDZing Imperium-held worlds, etc.)

Thus, I see the Imperium invading the New ERpublic first, probably catching them by s urprise, and the NR reacting defensively to this.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Ar-Adunakhor wrote:If 1/3 of the IoM's galaxy is superimposed on the SW galaxy then we can pretty much say that (sizes being equal) 1/3 of the population of the SW galaxy will suddenly have demons erupting from their foreheads and such.
Why, exactly, would 1/3 of the population suddenly be attacked by daemons? what makes SW sapient beings any more susceptible to PotW than the countless trillions upon trillions of humans and other aliens in 40k that don't have daemons popping out of their heads daily?
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

40K humans are sucsceptible t daemonic and warp based entities because they're heavily psychic (like the Eldar) adn becoming moreso all the time. SW universe humans, almost entirely lacking psykers (and having none anywhere near the pwoer you find in 40K) In this way SW humans (and other creatures) will interact with the warp more like the Tau. Corruption n shit are still a threat through certain avenues, but their problems will be alot less than what it is in 40K.

Of course, by this same token, the warp in SW will also almost certainly be calmer, ich means that it'll be alot less difficult (and dangerous) to navigate.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I think you'd want to reconsider the "venn diagram" idea, because I imagine that being that close together is going to introduce some peculiar (and hard to predict) problems (you're adding a whole buncha mass along with its accompanying gravity near another one- shoudln't the two galaxies influencee each other?_)
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Connor MacLeod wrote:The Imperium, on the other hand, is HEAVILY militarzied (over-militarized) has a huge amount of territory (tens of millions to billions of worlds)
The last time I was into the 40k debate I had not seen any evidence for more than 1-10 million imperial worlds. Where did the tens of millions to billions of worlds come from?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Hum how would force sensitive fairas compared to the normal people.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Can it be that, if we assume the Force=the Warp, Jedi et al are weaker than 40k Psykers because their Warp is closed (given that there is no Eye of Terror equivalent)? Just an idea I had for an old fanfic that never got used. This might give SW slightly more parity in that department; otherwise, given two hundred Jedi, most of them low-powered, the metaphysics forces aspect is an utter curbstomp.

As for the general idea, what is the established difference between SW/IoM ships in firepower? Last I checked I understood the consensus to be set at about an order of magnitude, has this changed since? Presumably, we do not take Goto's wanking seriously.

The New Republic appears pretty pathetic compared even to the (minimalists' canon take on the) Empire in terms of militarisation. Do we take Black Fleet at face value, with capship counts numbering in the 5,000 range? If so, their power/mobility advantage might not count for all that much against sheer numbers. And given their performance against the Vong in build-up and commitment, I would not put too much faith in them. An enemy such as the Empire might perhaps use hyperdrive to still achieve overwhelming local superiority over individual IoM fleets, as well as use various whacky superweapons, but this is out of the question for the NR.

On the ground, if anything ever happens there . . . well, the Empire at its best would be somewhat pressed to match the Imperium set-up there, so the NR should be complete and utter toast.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I think you'd want to reconsider the "venn diagram" idea, because I imagine that being that close together is going to introduce some peculiar (and hard to predict) problems (you're adding a whole buncha mass along with its accompanying gravity near another one- shoudln't the two galaxies influencee each other?_)
Galaxy collisions should take many thousands of years. Long enough to fight for short-sighted reasons rather than worry about the larger problem. :wink:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I think you'd want to reconsider the "venn diagram" idea, because I imagine that being that close together is going to introduce some peculiar (and hard to predict) problems (you're adding a whole buncha mass along with its accompanying gravity near another one- shoudln't the two galaxies influencee each other?_)
Well, if I put them edge to edge, I figured it would just be a rehash of all the logistical problems involved with campaigning in Tau territory. I just wanted a way for them to be able to strike at each other's territory with no great difficulty.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stack them one on top of another; like a cylon base-star.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I had that idea, but thought it might make it too easy for the IoM to hit Coruscant, and the NR to attack Holy Terra, respectively.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Setzer wrote:I had that idea, but thought it might make it too easy for the IoM to hit Coruscant, and the NR to attack Holy Terra, respectively.
NR attack Holy Terra? :lol: They'd be swarmed by the Fleet based there, never mind the host of defences around the planet and Luna itself.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: The Imperium also does not actually control said psykers. The most powerful Imperial psykers are Beta at best, and rare to boot.
That's incorrect. Alpha's don't tend to be stable, but the Imperium does have Alpha and higher grade psykers although they are extremely rare because most of them are insane and half to be purged. Ravenor, at the end of the Ravenor Trilogy, is one example as is Malacor the Sigilite.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:The Imperium, on the other hand, is HEAVILY militarzied (over-militarized) has a huge amount of territory (tens of millions to billions of worlds)
The last time I was into the 40k debate I had not seen any evidence for more than 1-10 million imperial worlds. Where did the tens of millions to billions of worlds come from?
I don't see how it came from anywhere when the 40k rulebook fluff states there are 1,000,000 worlds. Yes there is a certain level of error in the count, but not three orders of magnitude.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.