Challenging Spocktard to a debate

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Challenging Spocktard to a debate

Post by Thanatos »

Utterly tired of the BS in the Btech vs 40K thread on SFJ, I have formally challenged Spocky to a duel. I am reposting the details here, in the event that he decides to puss out and delete all mention of it from his forums.
I formally challenge Jedi Master Spock to a duel on the subject of 40K vs BTech. New thread, same general subject, new scenario picked by a third party, one argument a day and handled by email so its on completely neutral ground. Results posted on SDN and this forum so that it can be commented on.

Accept or slither off like a coward.
Here's to hoping he manages to remember where he hid his balls and accept. I relish the chance to force him to the table and debate, because his ass is doomed. :lol:
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Point of order: Would this debate take place in The Coliseum?
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

This should be most amusing. Have you a link to the original thread?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Perhaps the posting of the debate text, if it will be via email?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Kodiak wrote:Point of order: Would this debate take place in The Coliseum?
Spocky is not (to my knowledge) a member of SDN, so no...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

No, I want to do it by email so there can be no claims of bias in the setting and post the results in this thread. He probably would refuse to leave his site otherwise.

Besides, I don't think I rate a Coliseum event. :wink:
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

NecronLord wrote:
I thought it was the policy of the board that the affairs of other boards do not concern us?

Unless this is a submission for the coliseum event, isn't this a violation of board rules?
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Isn't BattleTech weaker than modern Earth? I vaguely remember a thread wherein the Allies of WWI compared favorably...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Bubble Boy wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
I thought it was the policy of the board that the affairs of other boards do not concern us?

Unless this is a submission for the coliseum event, isn't this a violation of board rules?
You're right.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bubble Boy wrote:I thought it was the policy of the board that the affairs of other boards do not concern us?
That's the policy of Spacebattles.com, not this website. There have been several threads that discuss the doings of the board in question.
No.
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

LadyTevar wrote: You're right.
My apologies then.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I'm sure there is no board rule against what you're doing, Than. To the point that Mike himself has e-mailed people over controversial topics and posted it on the forums. It's been done many times, and unless there's a rule I'm not aware of, it's most certainly permissable.

EDIT: It is of course, banned to plot a board-invasion. That's just trouble. But posting your e-mail debates isn't banned, AFAIK.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Bubble Boy wrote:
NecronLord wrote:

It's also against the rules to backseat mod.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Will you be posting his arguments here prior to responding, or after? If you post prior, it allows more free form criticism (I look forward to more of his physics incompetence), but it also opens yourself to the criticism that you had "help" and that "it was all of SDN vs the JMS"
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ender wrote:Will you be posting his arguments here prior to responding, or after? If you post prior, it allows more free form criticism (I look forward to more of his physics incompetence), but it also opens yourself to the criticism that you had "help" and that "it was all of SDN vs the JMS"
From what I've seen, I have very little doubt that Spocktard will run to get help from SFJ, or Dorkstar himself, making it pretty much moot.

The only disadvantage I can see to pre-posting arguments is that in the past SFJers have compulsively read pages on the SDN forums, opening a door for him to formulate rebuttals* before Thantos sends his message.

*Not that JMSpock could refute a nine year old on the topic of what makes the sky blue, but hey :lol:.
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

Will you be posting his arguments here prior to responding, or after?
I suggested a several day delay to eliminated any claims of help. As of right now though, I still haven't gotten any response from him yet.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

RedImperator wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:I thought it was the policy of the board that the affairs of other boards do not concern us?

It's also against the rules to backseat mod.
I wasn't, I was asking a question and had it answered. Why is that a problem?
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

If It were against the rules to discuss other forums, then I'd have been punished/banned huhndreds of times over for all the times I've mentioned stupidity going on over at SB, SFJ, or wherever.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

I don't think he'll bite on this, he'll probably try and pretend he never saw it, that'd be my guess. *throws chips down onto table*
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Revy wrote:I don't think he'll bite on this, he'll probably try and pretend he never saw it, that'd be my guess. *throws chips down onto table*
Psawh, good sir. The illogical Vulcan would never miss an opportunity to exclaim that the rocket booted redshirts will stomp the gothic IoM and its 40K fellows into the ground, or that Federation ships will utterly destroy ships that can take firepower in the Petaton range and smile while asking for seconds.

Because, you know, the UFP are Xeelee in disguise! :roll:
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Aratech wrote:Psawh, good sir. The illogical Vulcan would never miss an opportunity to exclaim that the rocket booted redshirts will stomp the gothic IoM and its 40K fellows into the ground, or that Federation ships will utterly destroy ships that can take firepower in the Petaton range and smile while asking for seconds.
You do realize that the proposed topic is the IoM versus BattleTech, don't you?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Reading: It's awwwright.

Though Star Trek would actually fare better against 40k than BattleTech ever would. They might actually notice running over a civilization or four.
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Ted C wrote:
Aratech wrote:Psawh, good sir. The illogical Vulcan would never miss an opportunity to exclaim that the rocket booted redshirts will stomp the gothic IoM and its 40K fellows into the ground, or that Federation ships will utterly destroy ships that can take firepower in the Petaton range and smile while asking for seconds.
You do realize that the proposed topic is the IoM versus BattleTech, don't you?
Apologies, reflexive habit when dealing with that moron. :oops:

As for B-Tech, while I cannot speak for the space battles (I've only got the Jade Phoenix trilogy) what I've seen of ground combat indicates that while somewhat inane and often poorly designed (like the Timber Wolfe's giant 'shoot here please' cockpit) they should still murder any UFP ground forces... which brings us back to the rocket booted infantry wank again (I swear, watching that debate on SFJ killed brain cells).
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

Ha! He warned me for flaming and then tried to insult my character as a Moderator. Remember: Its OK to insult someone as long as you have a smile on your face and say it "politely" :lol:

Trying to get him to either agree or decline, he's at maximum weaseling right now :p
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Jedi Master Spock wrote:As far as him wanting to post the debate on SDN as a "fresh" member, I am unsurprised to find that he would want a cheering section and help with research and analysis.
In other words Thanatos is insecure and stupid. I wonder does Spock think this thinly veiled insult is sooo clever that no one will see through it or does he think camouflaging his insults like this makes them acceptable?
Probably the former.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman